October 2017 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge: Atmosphere

Comments

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited October 2017

@ Daybird & Kismet

Thanks for the tip about the deform pallet & links.  Didn't know about it. Think car looks much better now, and that might be a handy tool for all kinds of things. yes

@ Agent Unawares

Not sure I follow.  Didn't seem to do anything.  I'm in the right place?  Just doesn't look like glass on car windshield, mirror, or rear window has any refraction or whatever its called.  I put a glass mug in there for comparison. 

Edit:  Probably in FAQ somewhere, but preferred pixel width?  No use making people click just to see undistorted.  : )

Post edited by Tynkere on
  • Just realized that I goofed with the script and will have to try again.

• Just realized that I goofed with the script and will have to try again.

• Hate to say it, but I've given up on the motion blur for now, trying to move the scene to get it bluring was too much of a pain in the rear. Also I decided to swap the raptor out for a pair of missles racing at the mirror. In fact the saying of objects being closer then they appear is apt in this case because the closer of the two missles is in fact just outside of the frame.

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited October 2017
    ricswika said:

I hope this shows up, it looks good on my monitor. Night scenes are so hard to judge. Someone please let me know if it appers too light or dark for night. The only thing I might do is add some rim lighting off to one side for a bit more definition.

Title: Rat Monster

Made With: Daz Studio, Iray - No Postwork

Uses: Creepy Forest, 3 Raven Place, Monster Rat, Millinium Cat, Super Bat, Grave Yard, Atmocam

Here is my next version. I tried to improve the lighting in the drak areas with more creepy shadows and some rim lighting. Please let me know if the shadows falling on the bat and rat are too busy and confusing. I never saw anything like that before and it seemed to add to the 'creepy atmosphere' of the piece. I lost some of the 'blueness' of it and maybe some contrast, but the values are probably more realistic. I'm not sure if this is the final version, probably not. I will wait to hear what kind of feedback I get.

RatMonster2 copy.jpg
    2048 x 1266 - 744K
    Post edited by ricswika on
  • Tynkere said:

@ Daybird & Kismet

Thanks for the tip about the deform pallet & links.  Didn't know about it. Think car looks much better now, and that might be a handy tool for all kinds of things. yes

@ Agent Unawares

Not sure I follow.  Didn't seem to do anything.  I'm in the right place?  Just doesn't look like glass on car windshield, mirror, or rear window has any refraction or whatever its called.  I put a glass mug in there for comparison.

Yes you are in the right place. In the surfaces tab, select Windows so you can apply the glass to that surface.

Tynkere said:

Edit:  Probably in FAQ somewhere, but preferred pixel width?  No use making people click just to see undistorted.  : )

800 px

• Here we go with version d on this one. Like I said last post I swapped out the raptor for a pair of missles coming in hot. This was due to the size of the raptor I couldn't get it more in the reflection without it eather overlaping the bike and/or showing in the render which would have ruined the effect for me. In the case of overlaping, even if it didn't show in the reflection, I'd have known it was there and wouldn't have been happy with letting it go through since I try my darnest to avoid that kind of thing.

Another thing is the fact that while I have the script to create motion blur in Iray I am pants when it comes to using puppeteer to try and smoothly move what needs to move for the script to create the blur effect.

• Here we go with version d on this one. Like I said last post I swapped out the raptor for a pair of missles coming in hot. This was due to the size of the raptor I couldn't get it more in the reflection without it eather overlaping the bike and/or showing in the render which would have ruined the effect for me. In the case of overlaping, even if it didn't show in the reflection, I'd have known it was there and wouldn't have been happy with letting it go through since I try my darnest to avoid that kind of thing.

Another thing is the fact that while I have the script to create motion blur in Iray I am pants when it comes to using puppeteer to try and smoothly move what needs to move for the script to create the blur effect.

oct2017-2d.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here we go with version d on this one. Like I said last post I swapped out the raptor for a pair of missles coming in hot. This was due to the size of the raptor I couldn't get it more in the reflection without it eather overlaping the bike and/or showing in the render which would have ruined the effect for me. In the case of overlaping, even if it didn't show in the reflection, I'd have known it was there and wouldn't have been happy with letting it go through since I try my darnest to avoid that kind of thing.

Nice Shinji.  Is the closest missile intersecting the vehicle?  Or is it just the camera angle?

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@ricswika  I like the shadows on the rat...and wow...that tail...I completely missed that the first time I looked at your image.

I missed the bat completely in the first image.  I had to go back to see he was there.

• jenniferhugheyjenniferhughey Posts: 404
    edited October 2017

Here we go with version d on this one. Like I said last post I swapped out the raptor for a pair of missles coming in hot. This was due to the size of the raptor I couldn't get it more in the reflection without it eather overlaping the bike and/or showing in the render which would have ruined the effect for me. In the case of overlaping, even if it didn't show in the reflection, I'd have known it was there and wouldn't have been happy with letting it go through since I try my darnest to avoid that kind of thing.

I like both versions a lot..and the text on the mirror is spot on :-)
    Post edited by jenniferhughey on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 651

The rockets are far better than the raptor an you should deffinitly keep them!!!  I call your picture " The last look "

Don't forget to spend them flames or smoke for the drives.

ricswika said:
    ricswika said:

I hope this shows up, it looks good on my monitor. Night scenes are so hard to judge. Someone please let me know if it appers too light or dark for night. The only thing I might do is add some rim lighting off to one side for a bit more definition.

Uses: Creepy Forest, 3 Raven Place, Monster Rat, Millinium Cat, Super Bat, Grave Yard, Atmocam

Here is my next version. I tried to improve the lighting in the drak areas with more creepy shadows and some rim lighting. Please let me know if the shadows falling on the bat and rat are too busy and confusing. I never saw anything like that before and it seemed to add to the 'creepy atmosphere' of the piece. I lost some of the 'blueness' of it and maybe some contrast, but the values are probably more realistic. I'm not sure if this is the final version, probably not. I will wait to hear what kind of feedback I get.

For me the first from this two pictures looks better.

In the second, the main focus go straight to the bat and the light looks not right for me.

I find it a little to bright and the God Rays come from the wrong direction when i compare them with the shadows from the tree and the house, as second lightsource.

sueya said:

This is probably going to be my final version. I have altered the pose following some of your comments.

yes Pose looks great now, but I think, some of her fingers are clipping in the leg.

edited October 2017

Ok, after I criticized all the entries, it's only fair to give the other the change to do the same with me. wink

I changed the Dome and applied some plants on the ruins and some Geo shells with dirt and blood on her and the sword.

Ancient places 8.10.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Post edited by daybird on
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:

I definitely like the color better in the second one. I also really like the position change on the bat - there's an undefined "line" between the bat and the rat that help balance the image, and subtly draw the eye to the cat, who seems to be eyeing them both as if waiting to see what will come of their "meeting."

I like the missiles much better!

@ Daybird

Pretty cool angle up into the sun like that.  Can you do a lens flare in DS?

@ Agent

Thanks. Picking different parts did wonders for chrome, and now that glass isn't 'missing' can use bright sunlight as 'Daybird' suggested.

"Smoosh" may have worked too well on tire.  Makes it look more realistic, so at a glance, he could just be checking out the view.  Decided to open hood-- engine trouble instead.

No luck with plume of stream though.  Will have to play with those settings.  ; )

What does everyone think of rocks in middle ground?  Add a little filler for the eye to glance at rather than just textured terrain?  Too busy & they look placed there?

Final question-- don't want to wear out welcome with too many of them...

What might mess up camera 'memorizing' viewport from last session? 

I pick "new camera" > "copy active view" and that's supposed to save by 'frame' or composition right?  Instead it defaults back to position zero near the car. angry  Works with other files, so am I missing something?

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help, and being patient with what are probably FAQs.  : )   

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,180
    edited October 2017

Nice Shinji.  Is the closest missile intersecting the vehicle?  Or is it just the camera angle?

I checked, and while it wasn't intersecting at the time it would have cliped it sooner with how close it was, so I made some adjustments.

daybird said:

The rockets are far better than the raptor an you should deffinitly keep them!!!  I call your picture " The last look "

Don't forget to spend them flames or smoke for the drives.

The missles have a flame prop that I had attached. They've been scaled up on the x axis to make them more visible in the reflection in the newest version that I have running now.

I like both versions a lot..and the text on the mirror is spot on :-)

Thanks, that text was a pain in the rear to get the angle right.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on

Tynkere said:

I pick "new camera" > "copy active view" and that's supposed to save by 'frame' or composition right?  Instead it defaults back to position zero near the car. angry  Works with other files, so am I missing something?

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help, and being patient with what are probably FAQs.  : )   

You can also try to bring the car and the man more in the Golden Ratio (or Rule of Thirds).

The Golden Ratio:
    https://holycrop.wordpress.com/tag/golden-spiral/
    https://designschool.canva.com/blog/what-is-the-golden-ratio/
    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/golden-ratio-in-moden-designs/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3JnWzgXGk

Ohh and you can activate the rule of thirds in DAZ. Just click the small icon in the right upper corner of your view window and than on the "Show Thirds Guide"

Rule of Thirds.jpg
    314 x 333 - 33K
  • Thought that I wouldn't be posting this until after I got home from work, but low and behold here's version e of this one.  Most likely this will be the final version of this one, I need to get back to work on my primary rinder to try and refine it some more and have only 11 days left in the month.

oct2017-2e.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
    Chameo said:
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:

I definitely like the color better in the second one. I also really like the position change on the bat - there's an undefined "line" between the bat and the rat that help balance the image, and subtly draw the eye to the cat, who seems to be eyeing them both as if waiting to see what will come of their "meeting."

I like the background in the first version and forground in the second version. If I could only get the best of both worlds, but there is no way to add more light without the fog picking it up.

So now I am trying to use the Iray canvases to get some layers I could composite for more control. That sounds ideal for this situation, but am having problems using the resulting .exr files or the ability to use another format. I watched some youtube videos on it but still won't work in my older version of photoshop even with the recommended .exr plugin http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/. I may have to try selectively rendering layers by hand and compositing them to get around the problem, unless there is a way for the fog to ignore certain lights or another way for me to light the scene that works.

Tynkere said:

@ Daybird

Pretty cool angle up into the sun like that.  Can you do a lens flare in DS?

@ Agent

Thanks. Picking different parts did wonders for chrome, and now that glass isn't 'missing' can use bright sunlight as 'Daybird' suggested.

"Smoosh" may have worked too well on tire.  Makes it look more realistic, so at a glance, he could just be checking out the view.  Decided to open hood-- engine trouble instead.

No luck with plume of stream though.  Will have to play with those settings.  ; )

What does everyone think of rocks in middle ground?  Add a little filler for the eye to glance at rather than just textured terrain?  Too busy & they look placed there?

Final question-- don't want to wear out welcome with too many of them...

What might mess up camera 'memorizing' viewport from last session? 

Hm. I think the rocks are unnecessary, especially if you're trying to get across the sensation of being stranded in the sheer vastness of open space. Positioning the car and figure way off to the side also emphasizes that huge emptiness. For the plume of steam, you could try creating a sphere or cylinder, shaping it a little with a dFormer, and then messing with the surface settings to get the desired effect. I'm at a loss on the camera problem, but I did find this quickie set of camera tips that might offer a solution: https://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Snow-s-Tips-4-Basic-Camera-Tips-for-DAZ-Studio-427415123 - specifically, this one:

You can copy the position of one camera to another by selecting the camera in the Scene tab and choosing Edit -> Copy Selected Items (or Ctrl-C). Select the camera you want to paste the position to, and choose Edit -> Paste Pose to Selected Items to paste *only the position* (not any camera values like Focal Length), or Edit -> Paste to Selected Items (Ctrl-V) to paste all values to the new camera.

daybird said:

Ok, after I criticized all the entries, it's only fair to give the other the change to do the same with me. wink

I changed the Dome and applied some plants on the ruins and some Geo shells with dirt and blood on her and the sword.

That's looking really good, @Daybird - but I miss the luck dragon :D ... Seriously, though, nice job with the god rays. I can never seem to get them positioned and lit the way I want them to look.

sueya said:

This is probably going to be my final version. I have altered the pose following some of your comments.

That arm definitely looks more natural now. You put a lot of work into your scene, and it shows. If you do decide to push it a little further, like @Daybird mentioned, the fingers of that hand look like they're sunk a little into the leg, and she still seems to be hovering just above the bench rather than actually sitting on it. The pose is great - she just seems to be a tiny bit too far forward and high. That's just a little nitpick, though.

daybird said:

Wow, looks great. Very nice job on rays. The only thing t I don't like is bridge being completely back like that.

edited October 2017
    Chameo said:
    daybird said:
    That's looking really good, @Daybird - but I miss the luck dragon :D ... Seriously, though, nice job with the god rays. I can never seem to get them positioned and lit the way I want them to look.

Thanks for the praise, because of the God Rays, but it is due to someone else.
    The beams are part of a wonderful Freebie HDR set for the Dom, which has made AgentUnerwares. I just had to put the skydom in the right position.
    You can download it at:
    https://agentunawares.deviantart.com/art/Skyset-002-705701571

BTW. the bridge is also a Freebie who can be downloaded under:

http://www.mortemvetus.com/freestuff.php?page=2

ricswika said:

Wow, looks great. Very nice job on rays. The only thing t I don't like is bridge being completely back like that.

Mhh, maybe you're right with the position of the bridge, but I don't know if I have time for another render. For now, I have tried to add some lens flair, but I'm not sure if it makes the scene better.indecision

Ancient places 21.10-2bearbeitet.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by daybird on
    edited October 2017

@ Chameo

Thanks.  I'll keep trying with camera.  I watched official tutorial, did searches... Think I've done most everything.  Will try your suggestions. 

Finding out that smoke can be a tricky.  I wanted to match angle of actor & car shadows to that of the sand texture.  When I do that, the smoke almost disappears!  So I tried rotating smoke...  No dice, so will have to live with it for now.

@ Sueya

Am late to the party, but just wanted to comment.  Had a peek at your earlier versions & most recent really looks like you've put some time and effort into it.  Like how you've left her face in shadow when most would do just the opposite-- make sure face is well lit. 

Gives the scene a kind of mysterious look.  (For me at least)  Why is she out there?  Waiting for someone?  Just thinking?  Since I gather forum's theme is a spooky halloween... Is something going pop out of RH shadow and get her?  Thought provoking.    : )

@ Daybird

I like the lens flare in your latest version.  I mean that's what would happen in real life right?  Do settings in DAZ make any difference?  8 or 9 straight blades would give an octagon or similar?   

Anyway, half circle of light gives a nice bit of color shading under the bridge in my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for tip about viewport grid.  Always use one on a DSLR & think computer version helped with composition too.  Good call about everything being in the middle. 

----

As for my own fun, here's lastest.  Basically moved everything down to lower right & raised the mountains into upper third.  Now to figure out how to blur them a little without using Terradome presets or cheating with photoshop.  : )

Post edited by Tynkere on
    edited October 2017

I've been playing with the scene I started with at the beginning of the month. Here's the latest version.

mermaid-lighthouse-95.png
    1842 x 913 - 2M
    Post edited by Chameo on
    edited October 2017

An earlier version that I still like a lot..

Oct-sentinels-d-formed-2.png
    916 x 913 - 2M
    Post edited by Chameo on