October 2017 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge: Atmosphere

123457»

Comments

• daybird said:

Lot of Story in this picture. It don't look like a happy ending. They seem to drift into the sun and the whole situation looks worse. The guy has seen no other option, than to blow his brain away and the console seems to be short before an crash. Only one of the hypernetik pods seems to work proper, but the poor girl seems doomed too.

Nice piece of work. I really like how you tell us a story with it. You did a good job with the smoke and the girl who is floating in the tank. Good use of refracting and the bubbles let us know there is liquide in the tank.
    And what to hell has pulled all his flesh from his bones? The heat? A virus?
    Only the sun looks a little flat (not so bright), but in the fact, that you will show us a B-Movie style, it fits.

Thank you for the encouraging comments. I will try to figure out a way to make the star brighter. The reason I used a skeleton for the guy who shot himself was that I am trying to convey that whatever happened on the ship happened a long time before the current scene. I played around with some cobwebs to try to get the point across, but I’m not sure if there would be spiders on a space ship.

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 331

Hate it when I get a last minute idea, but that's what happened last night. Whould have posted it this morning, but didn't have any time before I had to be out the door to head to work.

I know at least one street sam who would love to cross blades with this guy. My fav under your pics so far.

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited November 2017

Title: Dreamy Aslan Court Watercolor Frame

Used: Daz Studio, Iray, Filter Forge, Aslan Court 1, Atmocam, Photoshop

Post Work: Filter Forge Dreamy Filter and Water Color Frame

And a more intense version:

AsianCourtWaterColorFrame.jpg
    1950 x 1500 - 2M
    AsianCourtDreamyWaterFrame.jpg
    1950 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by ricswika on
  • halfmast88halfmast88 Posts: 63
    edited October 2017
    daybird said:

Cabin Fever

Daz Stuio/ Iray

Hello everyone, I’m late to the party but hopefully people are still looking through the thread. I wanted to do a B-Movie inspired horror scene for Halloween and this is what I ended up with. Let me know what you think. Thanks  

Lot of Story in this picture. It don't look like a happy ending. They seem to drift into the sun and the whole situation looks worse. The guy has seen no other option, than to blow his brain away and the console seems to be short before an crash. Only one of the hypernetik pods seems to work proper, but the poor girl seems doomed too.

Nice piece of work. I really like how you tell us a story with it. You did a good job with the smoke and the girl who is floating in the tank. Good use of refracting and the bubbles let us know there is liquide in the tank.
    And what to hell has pulled all his flesh from his bones? The heat? A virus?
    Only the sun looks a little flat (not so bright), but in the fact, that you will show us a B-Movie style, it fits.

Based on feedback I tweaked the scene a little and fixed the flat lookin sun. Here is version 2.

Cabin Fever 2.jpg
    1414 x 881 - 2M
    Post edited by halfmast88 on
  • halfmast88halfmast88 Posts: 63
    edited October 2017

Post edited by halfmast88 on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 651

Based on feedback I tweaked the scene a little and fixed the flat lookin sun. Here is version 2.

And also added some spider webs. ;)

I know, there is few time left, but a few minutes ago a idea hit me, as I looked at the smoke on the console. It could add some dramatic, if the girl wakes because of the malfunction.

• Cabin Fever

Daz Stuio/ Iray

Hello everyone, I’m late to the party but hopefully people are still looking through the thread. I wanted to do a B-Movie inspired horror scene for Halloween and this is what I ended up with. Let me know what you think. Thanks  

I like it a lot! Definitely looks like it could be one of those old 60's or 70's scifi movies. The only thing I might say is tint the tank water a bit? The one she is in? To me it looks strange that the others are green and hers is clear. I like the bubbles and her hair streaming up. nice job!

I like it a lot! Definitely looks like it could be one of those old 60's or 70's scifi movies. The only thing I might say is tint the tank water a bit? The one she is in? To me it looks strange that the others are green and hers is clear. I like the bubbles and her hair streaming up. nice job!

If you take a closer look, you can see the remains of the inmates in the other tanks, so it's no wonder, that the water ( or fluid ) has taken on a peculiar coloring.

• daybird said:

If you take a closer look, you can see the remains of the inmates in the other tanks, so it's no wonder, that the water ( or fluid ) has taken on a peculiar coloring.

true..It just stands out. But if that's what's meant, that is great! Art is subjective and no one has to take anyone's suggestions..

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    ricswika said:

Title: Dreamy Asian Court Watercolor Frame

Used: Daz Studio, Iray, Filter Forge, Asian Court, Atmocam, Photoshop

Post Work: Filter Forge Dreamy Filter and Water Color Frame

And a more intense version:

Just wanted to say that these are stunning! I do prefer the gentler first version. It's not quite as "dreamy," but it has a serenity about it that really appeals to me.

edited November 2017

I revisited my original scene one last time to try to recapture some of the serenity and peace without the surrealism. These are my final versions of my two images.

Deliberately left a little grainy to preserve the fireflies outlining the edges of the branches...

october sentinels.jpg
    1842 x 948 - 1M
    misty mermaid.jpg
    1842 x 948 - 1M
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    Linwelly said:

Ok I have 25 distant lights, only two or three are turned on and lots of cameras too. I also have one plane for shadow catcher but it is turned off too. I am not sure what it is and my computer is very old so it was frozen with it for 2 days when I decided to try again but only with dragon. I will try it again soon and see if I can get shadow.

Just if someone could post entries thread link I seem I can't find it.

Edit: I have tried and it is working. Probably I didn't set direction of light with shadow good so it wasn't showing on the picture. I am not sure or maybe other 2 or 3 lights a bit bright or it was something else but as my scene was a bit heavy I couldn't figure how to do it.

Milos, since we changed from contest to challenge there is no separate entries thread anymore, the CVs will look throuhg the thread who participated and did they find ways to improve on their knowledge about DS or other programs and understand some ideas of how to create a certain effect.

As for teh lights, try to make one light the main light with a strong shadow and make the other two just contributors as a maximum of 30% light intensity. dial the shadow complete to soft shadow for those. to ease up your mashine delete all other lights.

I just want to say thank You so much for this advice, it works really great now. I have deleted all lights and cameras after saving them as presets.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929
    Linwelly said:

Ok I have 25 distant lights, only two or three are turned on and lots of cameras too. I also have one plane for shadow catcher but it is turned off too. I am not sure what it is and my computer is very old so it was frozen with it for 2 days when I decided to try again but only with dragon. I will try it again soon and see if I can get shadow.

Just if someone could post entries thread link I seem I can't find it.

Edit: I have tried and it is working. Probably I didn't set direction of light with shadow good so it wasn't showing on the picture. I am not sure or maybe other 2 or 3 lights a bit bright or it was something else but as my scene was a bit heavy I couldn't figure how to do it.

Milos, since we changed from contest to challenge there is no separate entries thread anymore, the CVs will look throuhg the thread who participated and did they find ways to improve on their knowledge about DS or other programs and understand some ideas of how to create a certain effect.

As for teh lights, try to make one light the main light with a strong shadow and make the other two just contributors as a maximum of 30% light intensity. dial the shadow complete to soft shadow for those. to ease up your mashine delete all other lights.

I just want to say thank You so much for this advice, it works really great now. I have deleted all lights and cameras after saving them as presets.

I'm glad it worked for you now!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929

This challenge is now closed, good work everybody!

Chameo said:

I revisited my original scene one last time to try to recapture some of the serenity and peace without the surrealism. These are my final versions of my two images.

Deliberately left a little grainy to preserve the fireflies outlining the edges of the branches...

You really dialed them in. They are very artistic and enjoyable. Good luck and thanks for the feedback and kind words.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,844

October 2017

Showcased Participants for the October Atmosphere Challenge

Boy That Was Eerie - For this showcase we chose the person who best showed the use of atmosphere to create an eerie or creepy feeling to their image.
    For those reasons we have selected halfmast88 to showcase smiley

Bringer of Beauty and Peace - For this showcase we chose the person who used atmosphere in a way that created an ethereal effect.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was daybird

Thanks for the Assistance - For this showcase we decided to spotlight the person who consistently gave helpful advice and encouragement to their fellow Challenege Participants in the thread

The New User we felt best showcased their willness to help others was Chameo (Please be sure to check out the thread to see all their wonderful encouragement and advice)

New User - Welcome

Tynkere

Congratulations to all those who were spotlighted and thank you to all of you who participate and share your time and artwork with us heart

halfmast88.jpg
    1414 x 881 - 179K
    daybird.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 198K
    Chameo.jpg
    1842 x 948 - 192K
    Tynkere.jpg
    800 x 600 - 49K

Congrats to winners!

I'm just wondering, where are the images showcased? Can you see past winners there?

Wohoo, can't belive I'm in.smiley

Congratulation to all the other winners.

Aw, thanks! Congrats to the other winners - and to everyone else that did some awesome work and learning this month. Especially thanks to the forum mods who put all this together every month!

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 331

congrats to all winners. good work. :)

• Congrats everyone!

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Yes, congrads to winners, and thanks everyone, for warm welcome & support! 

Didn't get to see Halfmast's work, but good idea for sci-fi thriller.  Daybird came up with unique 'below actor' camera angle-- risk taking at its best!  

Great stuff from everyone in October.  Shows me how much I've got to learn!  

--Bruce

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Well done everyone.  It was a pleasue to watch your images evolve.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,844
    ricswika said:

Congrats to winners!

I'm just wondering, where are the images showcased? Can you see past winners there?

They are showcased in each individual thread (as done above) but also I have a thread (you all can't see atm) that I'll post at the end of the year that shows all the showcased artwork for every month all together. I post it at the end of the year though. smiley