Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• edited December 2013

Carrara scene rendered in Lux with the Luxus plugin:
    Also uses my Ocean plugin. M4 (and clothing) is the only model here I didn't make.

Christmas_2013_sail_4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by briandaz_3e696c2bd8 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

It's Christmas Eve and Santa is getting ready for his Australian run ... he is presently in the outback with a bit extra heat to get acclimatised ;-)

Santa_Outback.jpg
    800 x 600 - 518K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    It's Christmas Eve and Santa is getting ready for his Australian run ... he is presently in the outback with a bit extra heat to get acclimatised ;-)

Very nice! I chuckled aloud at this.

All the very best wishes to Carraraists everywhere - regardless of belief systems! May 2014 be The Year Of Carrara!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

Neat picture!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas to all Carrara users! (And may all non-Carrara users discover what they have been missing in 2014!)

edited December 1969

A merry Kwanzannukhamas from Aiko Elf!

X-Mas_Aiko_copy.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Nice lighting!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Nice lighting!

Two rim lights (spots), one green and one red set to 150%, and one white fill light (spot) parented to the camera with 10 ft range and 40% falloff.

The rest of the light is from the holiday lights. I increased the range to 2 ft. with a 40% falloff for each of the bulbs. Additionally I set the bulbs for soft shadows and excluded the hair, then duplicated the bulbs and set the duplicate bulbs to exclude everything but the hair and turned off the soft shadows. Because the bulbs are replicated, I only had to adjust four bulbs.

• IlenaIlena Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas people . Hope you spend it in good company and with lots of booze and food.:)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Thought I'd post this just for fun. I did it for the "Spinning Vicky in a Temple with a Sword!" challenge over in the commons (didn't win, but at least it was a challenge that I had an idea I could use - I'm just not creative enough to enter most challenges). You may recognize it, since it's a rework of a render I did a while back, but with some modifications, it fit the theme of the challenge too well to pass up. Did a lot of additional shader work, as well as changing the scene/background, the cloths for the figure in the crystal, and of course adding the sword. I really like the way the crystal on the staff turned out on this one (not a huge change, it just seems to have more depth/life).

Title: Vicky in a Temple with a Staff - or - Don’t Bring a Sword to the Temple for a Magic Fight

Bridget_Crystal_Sword.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 477K
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    Thought I'd post this just for fun. I did it for the "Spinning Vicky in a Temple with a Sword!" challenge over in the commons (didn't win, but at least it was a challenge that I had an idea I could use - I'm just not creative enough to enter most challenges). You may recognize it, since it's a rework of a render I did a while back, but with some modifications, it fit the theme of the challenge too well to pass up. Did a lot of additional shader work, as well as changing the scene/background, the cloths for the figure in the crystal, and of course adding the sword. I really like the way the crystal on the staff turned out on this one (not a huge change, it just seems to have more depth/life).

Title: Vicky in a Temple with a Staff - or - Don’t Bring a Sword to the Temple for a Magic Fight

I see what you mean about the crystal on the staff. It looks very nice!

Here's a little image from something I'm working on. I anticipate several more weeks (if not more) on this environment. This is strictly a WIP. I am probably going to hand place the trees on the mound as the replicator is not respecting the edge of the mound.

To save resources, I'm thinking of using spherical renders to extend the universe and speed renders. This is a test of the concept.

mound_Medium.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

I see what you mean about the crystal on the staff. It looks very nice!

Here's a little image from something I'm working on. I anticipate several more weeks (if not more) on this environment. This is strictly a WIP. I am probably going to hand place the trees on the mound as the replicator is not respecting the edge of the mound.

To save resources, I'm thinking of using spherical renders to extend the universe and speed renders. This is a test of the concept.

Looking really good for just a WIP!!

edited December 2013

I want to do the scene so that there are a couple locations. One will be at the top of the rocky hill which is couple hundred virtual feet high, so the spherical render is from that perspective. I also want one for the ground level, so that it looks as if the forest (as an example) continues beyond the edge of the terrain. I'm currently doing a spherical render with the camera at 5 virtual feet from the ground.

I'm still working on the mechanics. I think it would be easier to have a couple scenes to choose from. One where the working grid is centered at the top of the mound and one where the working grid is at ground level. The scene at ground level would have more detail on the ground terrain and less on the mound, and the scene centered on the top of the mound would have a highly detailed mound and the base terrain would be less detailed.

Ideally I would have a couple sky and light presets to choose from.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited January 2014

Here's a better integration. I'm still considering rendering a new back drop with only the sunlight as I'm not entirely pleased with what I get adjusting the brightness/contrast of the original render.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Been trying this for a couple years already, and I find this difficult to do, even in Carrara. If you ever seen the movie "Elysium", a scene where the boy is looking up to the sky seeing the space vehicle (Elysium) out of earths atmosphere, is what I been trying to do. I get close, but never satisfied.

(Bottom image); Been at this project for the last week.

Doc3ZDSCene.jpg
    1024 x 536 - 513K
    Ely.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 114K
    Post edited by Robo2010 on
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

Great work! I remember the old thread that your original image spawned. The "girl in a crystal" effect is still one of my all time favourites. I'll try to return to it one day myself.

edited December 1969

Nice to see the progress on this Evil. It looks like hand placement will be the best answer.

edited December 1969

Robo2010 said:
    (Bottom image); Been at this project for the last week.

VERY COOL! Do you model all of those buildings yourself?

I recently went through some LightWave training videos about doing sci-fi exteriors - I'm guessing that you used the same techniques.

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

This is taken from an old Basil Wolverton comic from about 60 years ago!
    Modeled in 3dCoat, rendered in Carrara a bit of post in PS and ArtRage.

Weird001_70AR_copy.jpg
    1233 x 869 - 263K
    edited December 1969

I am still torn on whether to buy 3D Coat or Z-Brush.

For the time being - it is a moot point until my bank account is a happier place... But one day...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

I am still torn on whether to buy 3D Coat or Z-Brush.

For the time being - it is a moot point until my bank account is a happier place... But one day...ChronoSculpt is looking really nice, too! Beside all of its physics/animation editing features, it appears to be one heck of a sculpting app as well!

chronosculpt-adding_detail-04_thumbnail.jpg
    318 x 318 - 52K
    chronosculpt-adding_detail-03_thumbnail.jpg
    318 x 318 - 46K
    chronosculpt-adding_detail-01_thumbnail.jpg
    318 x 318 - 47K
    edited December 1969

Stu, That is an excellent image, my friend! You certainly have a wonderful style for creating 3d assets. I just love how nicely your models turn out. Bravo, man!

edited December 1969

ChronoSculpt is looking really nice, too! Beside all of its physics/animation editing features, it appears to be one heck of a sculpting app as well!

I want that too! :)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Hi Stu,
    Your images are extraordinary!
    You start from nothing or 3DCoat has basic presets?
    In any case, I had tested ZBrush one or two years ago and I had found this program untameable, but you gave me desire for testing 3DCoat, it is very intuitive and easy to learn.
    I do not see the price on the site…

edited December 1969

Thanks...But my models are hardly assets, they dont have a back to them! I always liken them to an old fashion cowbow film set where they just used to build the front facade.

Dudu, 3dcoat does have a basic male mannequin (2 in fact, but I find them a bit fiddly to use.)

For this picture I made the creature from a sphere. For the girl I used a basic female mannequin I made a few years ago in Carrara, its not actually that good, but I put bones in it so am able to pose it then export the pose to Coat . I think you could probably export a Daz figure too,but I like to say I did it all myself from scratch.
    Yup ,I struggled a bit with ZB too. I am a simple soul....3dcoat does have a learning curve,but not as steep as ZB! I still dont use about 70 % of it, I just learn what I need to make a daft monster! Basically Sculpt .....Retopo.....Cararra.

You are right I could not find a price or where to buy it either talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I will raise the issue on the website.

But you can get a 30 day trial here .

http://3d-coat.com/download/

• aspinaspin Posts: 219
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

419 dollars + VAT (for me), it is a little expensive for that…
    It is an excellent program of modeling but there is so much possibility with Carrara which I prefer to invest in a complete software (but still imperfect), rather than in only one progamme of modeling (I only make animation).
    Thanks for the link.

edited December 1969

I got the EDUcational version initially...$99. I used it for a whole year before I upgraded!

edited December 1969

Yes, why not…
    What I like in this program, it is that it handles perfectly the metaballs and we does of them what we wants.

edited December 1969

Great render Stu!

edited December 1969

"Successful breach of the atmosphere and I'm beginning my...
    ... Aaarrrhhh, what in the... ... evasive action! Evasi....
    "

"We lost the transmission, Sir"
    "Keep the channel open. I want to know what's going on down there"

This particular animation turned out really, Really good! It begins just before the dragons hit the vanguard and runs a few seconds as they attack from above and below, taking out the communications and navigation controls
    Dragons_Attack_Vanguard_FC1x.png
    1280 x 720 - 874K