Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    How do you apply caustics to part of the bridge? I thought it was a global on/off setting...

A spotlight with a gel.

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

My new render ...:)

new_springtime_logo.jpg
    2000 x 1322 - 1M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very nice render, Pimpy!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Very nice render, Pimpy!

Agreed. Wonderful angle, background and foreground. I love this - it would make a beautiful desktop wallpaper.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys!,
    Yes Holly, I did get Zbrush, but did not use it much for this apart from a tiny bit of retopology which I did to compare it to what I had already done in 3dcoat. Zbrush did it in a fraction of the time and the result was basically perfect ,even without using it to its full capacity. Just hit the zremesh button ...done in 20 seconds!! Hair is still Carrara, . and he was sculpted in 3DCoat.
    I dont think zbrush will be my ultimate tool unless I can grow some more braincells.

Bravo as always Stu!

I hope that one day you can give us a breakdown of the chief differences between ZBrush and 3DCoat. Besides the price! ;-)

Nearly every 3D magazine that I read these days has ZBrush models - I have never seen one done in 3DCoat (excepting your own excellent work of course). Right now the biggest brake on my buying one of these packages is that there is still so much to learn in both Carrara and LightWave. Adding yet another piece of software would be madness at this point.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys!,
    Yes Holly, I did get Zbrush, but did not use it much for this apart from a tiny bit of retopology which I did to compare it to what I had already done in 3dcoat. Zbrush did it in a fraction of the time and the result was basically perfect ,even without using it to its full capacity. Just hit the zremesh button ...done in 20 seconds!! Hair is still Carrara, . and he was sculpted in 3DCoat.
    I dont think zbrush will be my ultimate tool unless I can grow some more braincells.

Stu, did you buy a full licence or an academic one? I am trying to find an academic vendor and their page links for UK vendors for them seems out of date except for one or two. Just asking in case you did. I do distance learning and it got me Poser cheaper, wonder if that will work for ZBrush? Although it will be a while before I am ready of course!

Cool render.. I love his facial texture, wrinkles, eye shading, so realistic! Look out Kennis & Kennis!

x :) Silene

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Kennis and Kennis?

Unfortunately I had to buy the full version. I dont know much about getting a student one but I guess if you are an official student it should be do able . Do you need a uk vendor?
    Garstor , Not sure I could break down the differences. 3dCoat has a 'normal' feel to it ,zbrush feels a bit 'fiddly ' Coat is easier to navigate your model,it uses the Maya/Cararra method. But I have not really "used " zbrush yet . So I do not want to complain about stuff I dont know enough about. The folks on the zbrush gallery sure know how to use it.
    If anyone is really interested in getting into digital sculpting the route I took was this.
    Sculptris.....brilliantly simple. Free!
    3DCoat Academic Version. You do not need to be a "real" student. The software is only slightly limited. £80 when I bought it.
    3DCoat Full Version upgrade , about £180 when I bought it. It can be a bit flaky sometimes,but the developer is allways working on it.
    zbrush. Loads a money! Seems more robust than Coat, and does loads more. I will never use it to its full extent.

( Meshmixer is good also ,put that between sculptris and 3dcoat.)

I supose the main diff between Coat and ZB is Coat uses local subdivisions and triangles ( like sulptris) ZB uses quads and subdivides everything. But both have really good decimation abilities.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the insight Stu!

I do have Sculptris but haven't really played with it much. When I do it ends up looking like a lump of clay dropped on the floor and walked over by a troop battalion.

The price point is what has my eyes on 3DCoat but if I can even build up the skills it does seem like ZBrush will be worth the long-term investment. One of my LightWave training sources also does training for both 3DCoat and ZBrush (I'd link to it but the Mods hate that - although he is a PA here now, the training is definitely not through DAZ).

edited December 1969

Hee Hee, If you are making lumps of troop trodden clay in sculptris, you will probably end up making the same lumps in Coat and zbrush...but really expensive lumps!
    For years I got nowhere, I lost track of how many bouncing furry balls I made in Carrara on my why to making my epic animation!
    So I changed tack and decided that I would never finish an animation.( the nearest I came was to do a few "11 second club" entries".)
    I decided just try and complete an image...from scratch,so that is what I do now. But I really am very lazy ,it can be weeks before I get the urge to jump into a new project. If I worked all the time at this stuff my blog would be actually 5 times bigger...really!
    At the moment I am sat here ( with earache, head ache and other aches) wondering what to do next.
    My haphazard to do list consists of
    David Bowie portrait. A Mike Ploog "The Thing" ( again), Moonwatcher from 2001 :A Space odyssey , Blix from "Legend" , another Basil Wolverton.....and Puddles the Clowns friend "MonkeyZuma"
    As you can see an eclectic selection. None of which has originated from my head,its just fan art really.

Getting back to your post Garstor, Zbrush has always offered free updates ,so once you have bit the bullet,hopefully no more outlay forever !
    ( this policy will obviously change now I have it.......)

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Very nice render, Pimpy!

Agreed. Wonderful angle, background and foreground. I love this - it would make a beautiful desktop wallpaper.

Thank you and enjoy my "Springtime" desktop wallpaper!

edited December 1969

Hee Hee, If you are making lumps of troop trodden clay in sculptris, you will probably end up making the same lumps in Coat and zbrush...but really expensive lumps!

Hahahaha! How true...how painfully true! :lol:

Getting back to your post Garstor, Zbrush has always offered free updates ,so once you have bit the bullet, hopefully no more outlay forever! ( this policy will obviously change now I have it.......)

Ain't that the way? ;) I am wondering when NewTek will release LightWave 12 -- they have done several point updates since I bought v11.

Now I'm biting my tongue about scolding DAZ for not updating Carrara in a timely fashion. OW!!! :P

edited December 1969

I know it is anathema to bring LightWave here (you should see the hate mail I get from Dartanbeck and evilproducer!)... But here is what I have been working on the last week or so.

If I ever finish it, I will definitely bring it into Carrara so that Mike and Vicky can check it out.

PS: kidding about the hate mail...we be bros! :P

modeling_progress.jpg
    1926 x 1200 - 934K
    edited December 1969

Kennis and Kennis?

Unfortunately I had to buy the full version. I dont know much about getting a student one but I guess if you are an official student it should be do able . Do you need a uk vendor?
    Garstor , Not sure I could break down the differences. 3dCoat has a 'normal' feel to it ,zbrush feels a bit 'fiddly ' Coat is easier to navigate your model,it uses the Maya/Cararra method. But I have not really "used " zbrush yet . So I do not want to complain about stuff I dont know enough about. The folks on the zbrush gallery sure know how to use it.
    If anyone is really interested in getting into digital sculpting the route I took was this.
    Sculptris.....brilliantly simple. Free!
    3DCoat Academic Version. You do not need to be a "real" student. The software is only slightly limited. £80 when I bought it.
    3DCoat Full Version upgrade , about £180 when I bought it. It can be a bit flaky sometimes,but the developer is allways working on it.
    zbrush. Loads a money! Seems more robust than Coat, and does loads more. I will never use it to its full extent.

( Meshmixer is good also ,put that between sculptris and 3dcoat.)

I supose the main diff between Coat and ZB is Coat uses local subdivisions and triangles ( like sulptris) ZB uses quads and subdivides everything. But both have really good decimation abilities.

http://www.kenniskennis.com/site/Home/

They do all those great scupltures, but now have gone digital as well and first heard of ZBrush from a programme they were featured on. They get all the big museum work and Nat Geo for reconstructions! Am going up to NHM to see their work at the museum for the 1 million years of man exhibit in two weeks.... as my back is coming along nicely!

I SO want ZBrush...but one step at a time!

;) Silene

edited December 1969

Thanks for the great link. Weirdly I had never even heard of those guys!

Silene, I do not know if you have done any digital sculpting at all so forgive me for thinking you have not done much.
    But perhaps have a go with Sculptris ( if you have not already?) It really is a good starter. Here are some of my starter Sculptris/Carrara works. To be honest I dont think any of my 3dcoat work is much better than this. Having the best software does not magically give you superb skills. Any sculpts done in Sculptris will import to zbrush later .

If these are a bit small you can have a closer look on my blog.

sculptris.jpg
    1588 x 319 - 130K
    edited December 1969

Sculptris did that?!?!?!?!?

Alright, alright...STU did that using Sculptris. :coolsmirk: Amazing stuff!

edited December 1969

Having the best software does not magically give you superb skills.

Something that I am reminded of every time I stare at a computer screen... :down:

edited May 2014

Silene, I do not know if you have done any digital sculpting at all so forgive me for thinking you have not done much.
    But perhaps have a go with Sculptris ( if you have not already?) It really is a good starter. Here are some of my starter Sculptris/Carrara works. To be honest I dont think any of my 3dcoat work is much better than this. Having the best software does not magically give you superb skills. Any sculpts done in Sculptris will import to zbrush later .

Great stuff on your blog! Wow.... have downloaded Sculptris but won't get a chance to work with it for a while. Had to keep tearing my eyes away from ZBrush section. But on it's own it seems so flexible... and actually the symmetry tool makes the idea of working with faces, etc very attractive.

Must look away, after all that dosh spent on DAZ/Carrara goodies.... sigh. And as Garstor agrees with you, having great kit does not automatically give artistic ability. Mustn't be thinking above my station so soon! Have to drive the Mini before the Porche....or at ZBrush's price, the Lambourghini!

Thanks for the heads up!

xx :) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited May 2014

Silene,

It's probably sacrilege to mention this on this forum, but as an student you can use any of Autodesk software free for three years (maya,max,Motionbuilder etc) just follow education links at www.autodesk.com and create student account (if I remember rightly you'll need an email address ending in ac.uk) and you are entitled to a massive discount on the entertainment suite

http://www.studica.com/uk/en/Autodesk-For-Students/autodesk-entertainment-creation-suite-ultimate-2014-student/793f1-93818c-1001.html

If you decide to buy it.

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Time for more Tetley's)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Silene,

It's probably sacrilege to mention this on this forum, but as an student you can use any of Autodesk software free for three years (maya,max,Motionbuilder etc) just follow education links at www.autodesk.com and create student account (if I remember rightly you'll need an email address ending in ac.uk) and you are entitled to a massive discount on the entertainment suite

http://www.studica.com/uk/en/Autodesk-For-Students/autodesk-entertainment-creation-suite-ultimate-2014-student/793f1-93818c-1001.html

If you decide to buy it.

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Time for more Tetley's)

Hiya Eyesee, I have an edu address as my Distance Learning is at Univ of Colorado! I took one course at Exeter here, but that was the only one they had. Lots on at Col Springs so I have taken at least 1 each term for a couple of years now non-credit (audit). So I think I might have to be full-time someplace to get free use.

Took a quick look at the link...very interesting, cheers!

Still...ust makes me want to learn harder to use Carrara more efficiently with all the ££$$$££ pumped into it. It shouldn't be this awkward to use and hope the Hex like tools come with version 9.

:) SileneUK

edited May 2014

I know what you mean. Trying to get to grips with Carrara's editors at he mo' and to say they're quirky is an under statement. :blank: But with plenty of practise I'm hoping to be able to find everything a little easier. :-)

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the autodesk student verification is automated for email verification. So, as long as you have an educational email address it doesn't know or check weather your full time or not.

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    I know what you mean. Trying to get to grips with Carrara's editors at he mo' and to say they're quirky is an under statement. :blank: But with plenty of practise I'm hoping to be able to find everything a little easier. :-)

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the autodesk student verification is automated for email verification. So, as long as you have an educational email address it doesn't know or check weather your full time or not.

Yep! "Quirky" is a good starting description. One nice thing is the camera control keys are nicely located on the keyboard. W, E, D become your best friends.

These days however, I'm always reaching for my 3D mouse...OOOOPS! No workey in Carrara!

edited May 2014

When you say 3d Mouse do you mean "connexion 3d Mouse" ? That was on my wishlist!!

Looks like I'll have to stick with the Logitech Trackball.

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    When you say 3d Mouse do you mean "connexion 3d Mouse" ? That was on my wishlist!!

Looks like I'll have to stick with the Logitech Trackball.

Yep, I got the middle-ground one...the top of the line has too many damn buttons and an LCD screen to boot (for crying out loud, I'm modeling not piloting a space shuttle!). Honestly, I have yet to get the buttons programmed ... I just use the 3D puck part ... yeah, I guess that means I could have bought the entry-level one instead... :red:

You do get used to it though and it does make a pretty big difference once you do. I think D|S supports it, FWIW.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that.

Will have to weigh up weather it's worth eventually buying. The entry level version is a lot more affordable. I'm a bit naft off it doesn't work with Carrara.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I whole-heartedly agree. Sculptris is a great sculpting app and it's free. It can get an artist used to the techniques of mesh sculpting: adding polygons as you sculpt, as wee
    ll as sculpting without adding any more polygons, and just getting a good feel of how to make stuff. It can be incredibly addicting if you enjoy any sort of sculpting at all, because it's enormously fun.

Like Stu said, I wouldn't consider investing in an expensive sculpt software until you feel comfortable at sculpting in Sculptris.

Finally,
    I really love those images, Stu! Great that you reminded me of them again, as it's been a while since the last time I've had the honor of gazing upon them. Beautiful work, Sir! I look forward to seeing your to-do list get whittled down - more art revealed! Your fan art is amazing!

edited December 1969

Thanks Dart!
    A couple more points based on recent posts.
    3d Connexion does not work with zbrush as yet. I cant check if it works with Sculptris,( not installed)
    It works brilliantly with 3dcoat. ( but makes me seasick!!)
    zbrush is still 32 bit, 3dcoat is 64 and moves stuff around like Carrara does , zbrush goes a bit jerky with high polys .Little things that make a difference to the user experience. ( though my computer is 5 years old!)

Silene,make sure you find the pdf manual for Sculptris, its in with the download somewhere. I seem to recall lots of people on the Sculptris forum not finding it . Mainly because they were not looking too hard...

edited December 1969

3d Connexion does not work with zbrush as yet. I cant check if it works with Sculptris,( not installed) It works brilliantly with 3dcoat. ( but makes me seasick!!)
    zbrush is still 32 bit, 3dcoat is 64 and moves stuff around like Carrara does , zbrush goes a bit jerky with high polys .Little things that make a difference to the user experience. ( though my computer is 5 years old!)

Silene,make sure you find the pdf manual for Sculptris, its in with the download somewhere. I seem to recall lots of people on the Sculptris forum not finding it . Mainly because they were not looking too hard...

Wow...did not see that coming at all. No 3D mouse support and still 32 bit?!?!? I must admit that I expected much more from Pixologic than that. There is almost no reason not to be 64-bit now...jeez I can't even remember when I last worked on a 32-bit machine.

I would hope the jerkiness disappears with a wicked-fast video card though...

edited May 2014

I heard zbrush uses the processor for all the donke ywork. But I cant say for sure.
    I think 3dcoat works a bit like a video game and does work better via a better graphics card. But this info is from snippets I read here and there . I do not get too involved with the technical aspects of stuff.

one of my favourite Blackadder quotes, " I am quite happy to wear cotton,but I have no desire to know how it works."

Post edited by stu sutcliffe on
    edited December 1969

Cheers, gottit! :) Silene

edited December 1969

ZBrush 4R6 - Windows

Highly Recommended:
    CPU: Pentium D or newer (or equivalent such as AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer) with optional multithreading or hyperthreading capabilities.
    RAM: 2048MB required for working with multi-million-polys. 6 GB recommended. (ZBrush 4 is a 32-bit application, but can use up to 4 GB of system RAM)
    HDD: 16GB of hard drive free-space for the scratch disk.
    Pen Tablet: Wacom or Wacom compatible.
    Monitor: 1280x1024 monitor resolution or higher (32 bits)

I am still blown away by this. It is shocking that this application is not 64-bit; I'm really curious why Pixologic has not compiled it at 64-bit. There must be a reason for it.

Computer Nerds: a 32-bit app running on 32-bit hardware can address only 2 GB of addressable memory. Special coding is required to access more than that (it is kind of like swapping pages around in RAM to trick the application in to using more RAM than it normally can.

As Pixologic helpfully reminds us, a 32-bit application running on 64-bit hardware can address 4-GB of memory. A little roomier there. Stretch your legs a bit.

But a 64-bit app running on 64-bit hardware (at least in Windows) gets a mind-crushingly awesome 8192-GB of addressable memory. That is an artificial limitation imposed by Microsoft - 64-bits itself is vastly larger than that even. Addressable memory is not the same thing as your actual RAM...but that's a story for another day.