Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope

Comments

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here is a Green Alien I'm working on.
    This one uses RawArt's Grey Alien for Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/grey-alien-genesis as a morph, but I couldn't find any green skin that looked "nice".
    Although this is a great morph, it isn't exactly what I war looking for so I will eventually create my own morph.

So I started to create my own skin.
    The base skin is a procedural shader, using Velouté 2 from Inagoni.
    This was then exported out using Baker from the same place.

For extra details I have used http://www.daz3d.com/skin-overlay-merchant-resource-for-v4-m4-skin-sets

Doc3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 127K
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I am still blown away by this. It is shocking that this application is not 64-bit; I'm really curious why Pixologic has not compiled it at 64-bit. There must be a reason for it.

It is curious when certainly Pixologic has the resources to do it. But maybe ZBrush users are happy with the advancements they have made otherwise. Even as a 32 bit app, it handles huge numbers of polys.

The limiting thing I see now is really Dynamesh resolution, which is similar to 3D Coat's voxels, allowing sculpting without concern for the triangle structure.

The ZBrush interface is frustrating for me, but its obvious people are using it and doing some amazing things with it the way it is right now.

I suspect they working on moving it to 64 bit OS bit now, and have been for some time. And then there is the GPU issue, which it does not use for rendering, as far as I am aware.

When it goes to 64 bits with GPU support, Watch Out! I hope they are still giving free updates then too. :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very nice little alien dude, Varsel! Thanks for sharing your approach. Those overlays look fun :)

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited May 2014

shaders tuning and lighting setup
    model: Lyon by Danae

2.jpg
    640 x 762 - 47K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

The skin setting are close to perfection. The SSS setting are really selling it, especially in the jaw profile The freckles also help giving that natural look.
    I appreciate the light blue colouring under the eyes.

If I may add a suggestion, there is something still unnatural and I think this is the eyes.
    I think the pupils are too well defined, a too perfect circle.
    There is also something with the iris I cannot point out, too shiny maybe.

But, all in all, a very good job.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

PS I've looked up the product in rendo.
    It's a very nice package. Thank you for pointing it out.
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I think the whites of the eyes look too white, particularly near the edges. Not sure about the pupils, I think the edge is too hard - no colour fringing in the edge of the iris. There's could be more reflection on the cornea as well, I reckon.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2014

Varsel said:
    This one uses RawArt's Grey Alien for Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/grey-alien-genesis as a morph, but I couldn't find any green skin that looked "nice".
    Although this is a great morph, it isn't exactly what I war looking for so I will eventually create my own morph.

For extra details I have used http://www.daz3d.com/skin-overlay-merchant-resource-for-v4-m4-skin-sets

Hi Varsel, I haven't had much luck with that Merchant Resource skin set..but it's probably me. I have been working on several book covers and this is one of the characters in progress. He's green for fantasy vs alien, but after trying changing shades of eg Kumar and other deeper skin DAZ characters and shaders with green overlays in PS, I finally used the Chimp from Ape World for the main texture as I wanted some hair. Then I put multi-green shaded overlays on it. His face is a bit yellower than skin, that's their version of "blushing", but it's still a WIP for my author. He's actually darker, I lightened it in PS so you can see it better...his forearm UVs don't look so stretched when darker. Left the hair off this version, makes file too big.

But...THANK YOU for the heads up on Velouté... I think that will solve a lot of my problems. Inagoni has some great products for Carrara users. YAY!

xx :) Silene

K1.png
    500 x 451 - 179K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

thank you both for your feedback; another try with less glare and some adjustments of the eyes on cornea and eyelashes. As for the pupils I think they are too small for the used light intensity
    I'm going to work on the flou effect visible in Danae's renders
    model: Paris by Danae (face skin)

3.jpg
    640 x 762 - 219K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

thank you both for your feedback; another try with less glare and some adjustments of the eyes on cornea and eyelashes. As for the pupils I think they are too small for the used light intensity
    I'm going to work on the flou effect visible in Danae's renders
    model: Paris by Danae (face skin)

Much nicer eyes... lashes are so realistic as well. I've noticed a trend in real cover shots on magazines... smaller pupils, more iris than ever. I wonder even if sometimes it's PS'd in after the photoshoot along with all the other air-brushing of veins out of eyeballs, push-broom eyelashes and pore-less skin. Why bother to photograph real models when you have something as realistic as your render of Paris. Cheaper, too for the mag!

;) SileneUK

edited December 1969

hello Silene,
    Danae and Carrara do the job nicely to simulate the real world :coolsmile:
    Here I changed the eyes default size (maybe now look too distant, I have to recall my basics of anatomy)
    no glare fx, 2% glow on skin
    I can't apply 3d aura on characters, anyone knows how to?

4.jpg
    480 x 571 - 128K
    edited December 1969

work on transmapped hair: no map in the color channel, only color gradient and wires as pattern; the shader is anisotropic and makes extensive use of curve filters and wire patterns in almost every channel. Minor saturation in postwork.
    model: fashion hair by daz

4.JPG
    640 x 762 - 65K
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited May 2014

Today's experiment with Carrara took a strange turn. I started out trying to make a forest fire and this is what emerged. I guess I need to get out more. =)
    Thanks for looking.

Click here to view the stereoscopic 3D version at 3dLive

forestFire01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 534K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Today's experiment with Carrara took a strange turn. I started out trying to make a forest fire and this is what emerged. I guess I need to get out more. =)
    Thanks for looking.

Click here to view the stereoscopic 3D version at 3dLive

Very well done! Great use of colors and strategic composition! Freud would be impressed as well. ;-)

edited December 1969

work on transmapped hair: no map in the color channel, only color gradient and wires as pattern; the shader is anisotropic and makes extensive use of curve filters and wire patterns in almost every channel. Minor saturation in postwork.

Very cool trick with the hair shaders!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

How do you do that? I get the two renders a few inches apart, but then how do you convert them into stereo?

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

The program I use for making still images into stereoscopic 3D images is called StereoPhoto Maker ( http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/ ) and it's free . Just render or photograph 2 offset images and import them into the program and save the output in a bunch of 3D formats. I tend to use stereo JPEGs (.jsp) files.

edited December 1969

Very cool trick with the hair shaders!

thank you EP, this is a handy solution when rendering times count; the coolest thing about wires is the gray scales that softens the lines, the curve filter is useful on maps for it enhances contrasts in a very accurate way. The anisotropic model gives hair a likely reflection

edited December 1969

joeping said:
    The program I use for making still images into stereoscopic 3D images is called StereoPhoto Maker ( http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/ ) and it's free . Just render or photograph 2 offset images and import them into the program and save the output in a bunch of 3D formats. I tend to use stereo JPEGs (.jsp) files.
    My Sony Vegas Home Movie HD (cheaper version of Vegas) can also set up stereoscopic video if you render animations in this way. I bought the Platinum Bundle, which came with an intro DVD, which shows how amazing this is. It comes with the 3d glasses so you can actually see the difference in the promo, and it's as simple as loading both videos and telling the software that they are to become stereoscopic 3d - it does the rest.
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Varsel said:

Hi Varsel, I haven't had much luck with that Merchant Resource skin set..but it's probably me. I have been working on several book covers and this is one of the characters in progress. He's green for fantasy vs alien, but after trying changing shades of eg Kumar and other deeper skin DAZ characters and shaders with green overlays in PS, I finally used the Chimp from Ape World for the main texture as I wanted some hair. Then I put multi-green shaded overlays on it. His face is a bit yellower than skin, that's their version of "blushing", but it's still a WIP for my author. He's actually darker, I lightened it in PS so you can see it better...his forearm UVs don't look so stretched when darker. Left the hair off this version, makes file too big.

But...THANK YOU for the heads up on Velouté... I think that will solve a lot of my problems. Inagoni has some great products for Carrara users. YAY!

xx :) SileneAnother trick that's fun to use for altering shades:
    Since these 'Character Sets' often come with bump and spec maps, sometimes even others, you can alter the Contrast of these maps in PS (I use Howler) and use the resulting maps in the controller shader for a Color Gradient in the Color channel of a Carrara shader. This can give more precision on where the shades change, and what color they change to, since color gradients in Carrara can have all sorts of different 'keys' of color added wherever you want them along the gradient scale.

For example, where the image gets closest to white, you can set a gradual change from tan to dark brown on the left end (or is it right?) of the gradient. Then once the maps gets to 50% gray, say you need it to now change to an less-saturated dark green. Set up a set of keys in the center of the gradient then to graduate from that green to nearly the same thing but more brown or yellow....

Sometimes these maps have high contrast already. You can change the difference between light and dark on the map by putting color keys along the gradient really close to each other, and then give the ends a subtle change - or a not-so-subtle change, depending on the final effect you want.

Also keep in mind that. while this works great with a single gradient in the color channel, you can get even more results by multiplying, adding, or mixing two or more gradients - even if they use the same map as the controller.

Being Carrara, these gradients can also be animated - just to add more day dreaming to the equation.

I still recommend getting shader plugins like Inagoni's, Fenric's, and DCG's, for example... but I have been finding it much easier to change tints of skin, even subtle changes, by using a gradient in Carrara, rather than by colorizing the maps themselves ;)

edited December 1969

hello Silene,
    Danae and Carrara do the job nicely to simulate the real world :coolsmile:
    Here I changed the eyes default size (maybe now look too distant, I have to recall my basics of anatomy)
    no glare fx, 2% glow on skin
    I can't apply 3d aura on characters, anyone knows how to?
    One bummer about the Aura in Carrara, is that it is applied to the entire object, not the individual domains. Anyways, it's done by adding a glow channel to the object's shader(s).

Rather than using the whole scene effect, I often set up the Aura on a 'per model' basis by selecting the 'model' or 'actor' - go to the Effects tab and add the Aura and set it up in there. But I most often use this in very subtle doses depending, of course, one the individual object.

Street lights I might make more intense. I find that Dogwaffle Howler is really nice for adding some of these enhancements in post, even on my animations... but for many effects, I still enjoy using the Carrara built-in post effect.

edited December 1969

thank you DB, I got it; I agree about built -in post effects and I think there is so much to explore yet in carrara. For example the shader editor: here is the curve filter used to emphasize several maps upon hair (alpha channel), iris (color channel) and face (reflection channel). In some cases it can easily replace PS works. By the way has anyone ever used Substance Designer? It would be great as Carrara addon or to be included into the workflow

a.jpg
    2000 x 796 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Been taking a break and I'm playing around with a scene concept. I'm doing this a bit backwards for me, in that I'm designing the lighting before the rest of the scene. Usually I'll build the scene with generic lighting and then add lighting based on what is in the scene. In this instance I know what I want the lighting to look like on the figure, so I'll have to really keep that in mind as I build the rest of the scene.

For what it's worth, I already have a pretty good idea of what the scene is supposed to be, I just have to build it.

pin-up_concept.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 317K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Homecoming... my last render:-)

homecoming.jpg
    1000 x 725 - 443K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:

cool view

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth, I already have a pretty good idea of what the scene is supposed to be, I just have to build it.

That is a very nice departing view there! :)

edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Beautiful! I really like how this is composed.

edited December 1969

thank you DB, I got it; I agree about built -in post effects and I think there is so much to explore yet in carrara. For example the shader editor: here is the curve filter used to emphasize several maps upon hair (alpha channel), iris (color channel) and face (reflection channel). In some cases it can easily replace PS works. By the way has anyone ever used Substance Designer? It would be great as Carrara addon or to be included into the workflow
    Cool work! Ouch! Substance Designer looks fantastic, but has a Pro price tag as well! But with the power of node layering like that, I will certainly consider the Pro version. When I'm ready to try it I'll download the trial and just confirm that it works like I'm sure it does. Have you ever tried working in Genetica? I have the Basic version - I got it in a bundle when I bought Project Dogwaffle Pro. I, too, is a node style layer mixer that has immense possibilities. Had a bit of fun with it, then I got really busy. Whenever that happens I tend to resort to my old faithful ways of doing stuff. I definitely need to get back into Genetica and unlock more of its potential. It has a Pro version comparable in pricing to the Pro version of Substance Designer. I love painting textures in Dogwaffle the most, so far. It also has the capabilities to make whatever I design seamless/tiling. But Genetica goes beyond my painterly mind in wonderful ways. Then I started checking out the cool brushes included in Carrara Pro's 3d Paint, and that again stole me into a whole new range of fun and texturing power. So I bought all of Ringo's DP Brushes and GKDantas "Ron's Scratches" conversions, which makes that a whole new realm of awesome! But with tools like Substance Designer and Genetica, we can vastly improve upon our brush collections by saving new presets - as Carrara Pro lets us use any image and falloff settings we want to make our own brushes! Yeah!

I don't have the examples of my Brushes I made using Genetica on this computer. I'll try and remember to get some examples up here to show you.

evilproducer and pimpy,
    Nice images, as always! Great work!

edited December 1969

Hmmm, with Substance 'Painter' (haven't yet checked for 'Designer'), you can use the Indie licensing for creating up to 10k/year using it in the workflow. That's a huge savings. Then once you break that, the extra coin to pitch in for the Pro version is well worth it anyways ;)
    Very cool sales formula.

edited December 1969

Substance Designer looks fantastic, but has a Pro price tag as well! But with the power of node layering like that, I will certainly consider the Pro version. When I'm ready to try it I'll download the trial and just confirm that it works like I'm sure it does.

Or you could buy LightWave and get a node editor like that.

(alright, I only saw the title page movie for Substance Designer...maybe it blows away LightWave too...maybe not...it does look supremely awesome though.

Just looked at that price...whoa...yeah, I hope it is as awesome as it looks. :)