Carrara Monthly Challenge: Fabulous Prizes! VOTING NOW OPEN!

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    This is a fun challenge.
    So I've started some experimenting with a crocked tree...

Yet more to add....

Looks great!
    How are you getting those roots?
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Looks great!

Thanks Holly !

The roots are a tree flipped upside down without leaves.
    It can be a bit tricky to get the tree and the root to line up, but as I have discovered with a lot of trial and errors :
    Create the main tree.
    Make a duplicate and turn it around.
    Remove the leaves.
    Under the expert tab : select Hybrid as tree generator.
    Do not change the tree size and the trunk with It looks like the trunk with is a factor of the tree size...

Set the trunk length to 1 and the trunk decay to 0

And then its just playing with the values under the expert tab.
    It will also help to set a positive gravity value under the tree shape tab.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Varsel said:

Looks great!

Thanks Holly !

Should we just ask for a root system to be added to the plant modeler? The "node" thing is so weird.... Just about all plants have roots don't they? They would be different by not having leaves, and probably no wind....

Are there other "features" would be needed for roots?

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

I agree.
    A root system should have been a natural part of any plant generator.

Although there is something labeled roots in the plant generator, but its really basic and only usable for distance trees.

It might be that we are trying to use this plant generator feature in Carrara in a way it was not originally intended for.
    Then again, they did upgrade it, with more leaves possibilities......

As you said, they would basically be branches without leaves and wind, radiating out from the bottom of the tree.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited May 2013

Some extraterrestrial vegetation. :)

Flowering Sea Plain
    Mars - 8000 years ago

Modeler and terrain

flowering_seaplant2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Looks great!

Thanks Holly !

It can be a bit tricky to get the tree and the root to line up, but as I have discovered with a lot of trial and errors :
    Create the main tree.
    Make a duplicate and turn it around.
    Remove the leaves.
    Under the expert tab : select Hybrid as tree generator.
    Do not change the tree size and the trunk with It looks like the trunk with is a factor of the tree size...

Set the trunk length to 1 and the trunk decay to 0

And then its just playing with the values under the expert tab.
    It will also help to set a positive gravity value under the tree shape tab.

Varsel, great job :) thanks for the mini tut, really appreciate that! looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

edited December 1969

Some extraterrestrial vegetation. :)

Flowering Sea Plain
    Mars - 8000 years ago

Modeler and terrain

heh, out of left field comes a Martian landscape :) love the colours.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited May 2013

Inspired by the challenge I decided to try and make passable grass using hair and this happened. An early WIP, everything except the grasshair not made by me. (tree presets and fence from DAZ, flower from RDNA)

Meadow.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 563K
    Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Thanks for that Man, I didn't see it at first ... sorry

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Inspired by the challenge I decided to try and make passable grass using hair and this happened. An early WIP, everything except the grasshair not made by me.

wonderful render araneldon. Inspired me to try grass hair :)
    Any hints? The grass I've made with hair looks like either daggers or bumfluff.

edited December 1969

It's nothing special, I can send you the hair object if you like :)

edited December 1969

Another WIP, still unhappy with grass and pointlessness. On the other hand, moobs.

Meadow_2.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 241K
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Dont know if we are allowed more than one "entry" to the challenge but here is soemthing I came up with that was inspired by Carrara's unpredictable behaviour !

I was making a tree and applied a spot to it for illumination - I happened to apply orange/ red which when rendered created a large "flare' about the tree with the appearance of fire - quite impressive actually. I then proceeded to try to turn it into a scene of sorts by adding terraine, more plants etc but experienced several weird things like the the open pane flipping vertically when I clicked on it ,rediculous render times and some other things that made me close the scene and start from scratch.

Here is the result of my attempt at a Forest Fire. I couldn't recreate the flare I had before. Most of the effect is background photo (sunset from my back garden) volumetric cloud for smoke, and several distance lights for illumination on trees made in Carrara 8.5 latest. No post work.

forest_fire.jpg
    800 x 450 - 202K
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Inspired by the challenge I decided to try and make passable grass using hair and this happened. An early WIP, everything except the grasshair not made by me. (tree presets and fence from DAZ, flower from RDNA)

Very nice effect - hadn't thought of hair for grass -it looks very good and should be able to animate it too.

edited December 1969

The potting shed.
    self-made carrara plant ,JT conservatory, Faveral Le village benches and planters

Great picture wendy - Looks very real enough to smoke !!!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    nice work 0oseven! Reminds me of a Scottish castle up in the mountains.

Oh, if you'd like to make a monthly challenge on Carrara Cafe it's just a matter of picking up the ball and running with it.

I note winner of this "challenge" has the honour of choosing the next challenge so I hope and encourage they do it on the "Cafe"

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Ooooo! A challenge. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited May 2013

the distribution of leaves in the plant room continues to puzzle me,
    video http://youtu.be/4oKDkqfNT5s
    my file https://www.box.com/s/5tdfx210fqm81snq92xo not that anyone looks at them!

Doc2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Another WIP, still unhappy with grass and pointlessness. On the other hand, moobs.

Great mood in this one, and there's a wonderful Maxfield Parrish feeling about the trees.
    So can I ask how are you getting the sunlight flare effect?

(thanks for the hair offer - I think I should really grow my own :) )

edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    Dont know if we are allowed more than one "entry" to the challenge but here is soemthing I came up with that was inspired by Carrara's unpredictable behaviour !

I was making a tree and applied a spot to it for illumination - I happened to apply orange/ red which when rendered created a large "flare' about the tree with the appearance of fire - quite impressive actually. I then proceeded to try to turn it into a scene of sorts by adding terraine, more plants etc but experienced several weird things like the the open pane flipping vertically when I clicked on it ,rediculous render times and some other things that made me close the scene and start from scratch.

Here is the result of my attempt at a Forest Fire. I couldn't recreate the flare I had before. Most of the effect is background photo (sunset from my back garden) volumetric cloud for smoke, and several distance lights for illumination on trees made in Carrara 8.5 latest. No post work.

wow it's very impressive for no post work.
    if you get that flare effect to work again be sure to share the secret !!!!

As far as how many entries, well to perfectly honest the quality of the work so far is amazing. I think there's no need to decide on what your entry will be until the final days - in other words just keep posting.

I think it's probably a great idea to allow people two entries at the end.

As far as having the next challenge at Carrara café, there's nothing to stop two concurrent challenges - so no need to wait till the end of this one. A month is a long time. ;)

edited December 1969

Ooooo! A challenge. :)

Hey David, welcome aboard. Expecting great things from you considering your recent publishing success. ;)!

Wendy, those flower are working really well, maybe a tut is in order? I'm starting to think you are a soft hearted girl.

cheers from Newie !

PS I've asked for a contact at Daz to see if they might like to donate a small prize for the challenge - as an encouragement so to speak.

edited December 1969

well the vid I just added sort of explains

edited December 1969

thank you Wendy :) sorry I am "work" and cannot really load the vid till I get home. :)

edited May 2013

head wax said:

You can ask me anything :D It's simply the lens flare effect on the sun, sunlight preset IIRC, I just tweaked the settings a little bit.

I figured you would want to roll your own, it's just easier to show than explain really :)

- starting with the shape, make it very large, tweak scale to taste, and set tip width down to minimum in the shader
    - grassy colors obviously, and highlight dialed down (possibly shininess up, I didn't spend much time with this)
    - work out density (500k hairs per terrain in my images if memory serves)
    - use the hair shader to introduce variation in orientation and length (frizz, etc) using noise or maps to drive some parameters (eg big blotches of light and dark plugged to hair length to create patches of grass in different lengths)

I'm still not quite happy with the way it looks but it's getting there. Also I plan to add plant meshes to the mix, the hair alone isn't sufficient.

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited May 2013

my garden so far
    Seriously do I HAVE to model ALL my plants!!!
    so many nice Lisa botanical s I COULD use as "leaves" too

(my textures on ground too)

my_gard022.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    my_garden.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    head wax said:

You can ask me anything :D It's simply the lens flare effect on the sun, sunlight preset IIRC, I just tweaked the settings a little bit.

I figured you would want to roll your own, it's just easier to show than explain really :)

- starting with the shape, make it very large, tweak scale to taste, and set tip width down to minimum in the shader
    - grassy colors obviously, and highlight dialed down (possibly shininess up, I didn't spend much time with this)
    - work out density (500k hairs per terrain in my images if memory serves)
    - use the hair shader to introduce variation in orientation and length (frizz, etc) using noise or maps to drive some parameters (eg big blotches of light and dark plugged to hair length to create patches of grass in different lengths)

I'm still not quite happy with the way it looks but it's getting there. Also I plan to add plant meshes to the mix, the hair alone isn't sufficient.

thanks for that mini tut! I wonder how a hair shader would go attached to meshes used as leaves in the plant editor?

edited May 2013

my garden so far
    Seriously do I HAVE to model ALL my plants!!!
    so many nice Lisa botanical s I COULD use as "leaves" too

(my textures on ground too)

Wendy, take it from me, you have some seriously good looking bushes there. :) It's worth all the blood and sweat getting those!

Ah, not trying to do lisa out of a job. I guess I blame here for not having played ion the plant room myself for ages!

How about something from the meta ball room? Just bang a few balls together.
    I'm sure they would do some great cacti with a hair primitive attached :) Or there's the famous Flat Topped Victorian Ball Tree , especially bred to grow under power lines and not need trimming...

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

That's cool, Wendy. Love the jammin', too. I am still being very slow on my musical front (for my soundtrack), which is fine because I plan to write my music around the video and dialog after I have the video mastered together as it will be. I did have a small sample of what I want it to sound like and my singer (pro sound mastering engineer) played it for a new pal, who has a room full of gold records for his producing efforts over the decades. I am thrilled to say that he loved it and wants to work with me - and he likes the fact that I barter for custom stone labor! Yaaaay! Now I just need to get back on my feet. Feeling better today than I have in I haven't a clue how long. Memory lapse is strange that way. I lose track of how long I've been down, up... just strange. Feeling pretty good though.

So you've made all of those plants in the plant editor? Proud of ya! Very nice. Page flipping makes me need to lie back down, though... but I still like the effect! :)

Andrew contacted me about this challenge and I want to sponsor. I have to find out how to make it happen from Daz, and I'm not sure about the timing - winner (?) may have to wait until it's released - but will be receiving a shiny new copy of Woodlands - a Carrara Environ Kit. One way or another, we'll get it to you (not sure how that is to be decided - or if there is more than one opportunity to win, etc., Ill have to talk to Holly or Andrew... see? I'm just dizzy! lol must snap out of it one day, here!)

That will give you some new presets and berries for your plant-making endeavors - and a full-blown Environ System to display them in! :)

Ohhh... was I supposed to say anything, Andrew?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

How about something from the meta ball room? Just bang a few balls together.
    I'm sure they would do some great cacti with a hair primitive attached :) Or there's the famous Flat Topped Victorian Ball Tree , especially bred to grow under power lines and not need trimming...

It's no tree and this is something I've posted before. It's a meta-ball blob with hair. It's supposed to be something akin to carpet moss. I made the meta-ball object, added a procedural shader for color on the ball object and copied that to the hair's color shader. I also added a spline model to a replicator to simulate the reproductive bits of the moss and used a shader with a mixer, with the sources being a green color and a red color and an elevation function driving the mixer.

The light beams are a spotlight with a gel and a light cone which were composited in Photoshop.

Moss.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 985K