Carrara Monthly Challenge: Fabulous Prizes! VOTING NOW OPEN!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

amazing stuff, that other render of yours the bottom one in the previous post sings !

Wendy thanks for your enthusiasm in this!!

edited May 2013

Dartanbeck wrote:

Andrew contacted me about this challenge and I want to sponsor. I have to find out how to make it happen from Daz, and I’m not sure about the timing - winner (?) may have to wait until it’s released - but will be receiving a shiny new copy of Woodlands - a Carrara Environ Kit. One way or another, we’ll get it to you (not sure how that is to be decided - or if there is more than one opportunity to win, etc., Ill have to talk to Holly or Andrew… see? I’m just dizzy! lol must snap out of it one day, here!)

That will give you some new presets and berries for your plant-making endeavors - and a full-blown Environ System to display them in! smile

Ohhh… was I supposed to say anything, Andrew?

ah shucks I wasn't going to tell anyone so I could win it myself ;)))

but seriously, THANKYOU SO MUCH for your generosity!
    it's very kind of you Dart.

I've changed the first post to reflect the Prize!

If anyone hasn't seen Dartanbeck's Carrara EnviroKit - Woodlands, the WIP thread is here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16465/

After seeing all the amazing stuff people are pulling out of their Carraras I changed the rules to allow up to TWO entries. I hope everyone is cool with this?

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

How about something from the meta ball room? Just bang a few balls together.
    I'm sure they would do some great cacti with a hair primitive attached :) Or there's the famous Flat Topped Victorian Ball Tree , especially bred to grow under power lines and not need trimming...

It's no tree and this is something I've posted before. It's a meta-ball blob with hair. It's supposed to be something akin to carpet moss. I made the meta-ball object, added a procedural shader for color on the ball object and copied that to the hair's color shader. I also added a spline model to a replicator to simulate the reproductive bits of the moss and used a shader with a mixer, with the sources being a green color and a red color and an elevation function driving the mixer.

The light beams are a spotlight with a gel and a light cone which were composited in Photoshop.

I'm sorry Evil, I forgot to credit you with the idea!! - which is where I pinched it from. Apologies! I was actually thinking of the bullrushes when I typed it but now I realised it was the moss.

That's a fantastic render.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

w00t! OFFICIAL! :coolgrin:

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited May 2013

No worries Headwax. I just through it out there as yet another possibility. I did use hair for the velvet on the cattails as well. I credit Stu for that idea as he did a film-noir style render awhile ago where he used hair on a fedora for the velvet look.

Cattails.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 330K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited May 2013

w00t! OFFICIAL! :coolgrin:

:) yes it's very generous of Dartanbeck :)

No worries Headwax. I just through it out there as yet another possibility. I did use hair for the velvet on the cattails as well. I credit Stu for that idea as he did a film-noir style render awhile ago where he used hair on a fedora for the velvet look.

ah it's a great effect,

you inspired me to use hair on the Holly inspired mouse render I did a while back. Yesterday I did some cacti and di such a good job they look like cute furry amoprphous blobs that you could cuddle - so not like cacti at all, but the possibilities are endless. Comes from having a better machine than when I first started with Carrarara - and learning what makes fast lighting techniques as well I guess.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Man! Making an action scene for my own pleasure, using Environ Kits: Woodlands, turned out the discovery of god rays and light flares without using any FX, even in the lights settings! Read the post here for how I accidentally discovered it! :)

OS_VolRays1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 874K
    edited December 1969

DISCLAIMER:
    Sorry for invading with this... but this was an accident created by a few well placed clicks in a nearly default preset from the prize product!

edited December 1969

Man! Making an action scene for my own pleasure, using Environ Kits: Woodlands, turned out the discovery of god rays and light flares without using any FX, even in the lights settings! Read the post here for how I accidentally discovered it! :)

I saw that. Waiting to see the animation! I've used volumetric clouds quite a bit to create light cone like effects and sunbeam like effects for quite some time. I think I also came across the possibility almost as an accident. The trick is, that it takes time and patience and the realization that there are many factors and what works in one scene might not work in another.

edited December 1969

that's a beautiful render Dartanbeck - you might end up winning your own prize :)))

Now for something equally exciting

Daz via Britney has kindly offered to support a monthly challenge in the Carrara forum!!!

so in addition to Dartanbeck's generosity to the winner there will be

1st, 2nd, 3rd place winner, as well as 1 honorable mentioned winner.

1st Place $50 coupon good on DAZ3D items only
    2nd Place $30 coupon good on DAZ3D items only
    3rd Place $15 coupon good on DAZ3D items only

Honorable Mentioned $5 coupon code good on DAZ3D items only

so thank you very much DAZ ! :) :)

I'll update the first post to reflect this!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited December 1969

actual prize!!

oh, you DO realise my stuff so far is WIP's as allowed in thread . . .
    better start getting serious!!!

edited December 1969

heh but of course :)

when the time gets near to voting I will start a separate thread for people to post their entries

sorry just feeling my way here and taking a leaf from Chohole who has started a challenge at Bryce forum (some great stuff there too)

edited December 1969

taking a leaf?
    a Bryce leaf?
    (I know whatcha mean, being silly!!)
    but Bryce leaves (and trees) versus Carrara leaves!!! %-P
    we will not go there!!! ;-P

edited December 1969

taking a leaf?
    a Bryce leaf?
    (I know whatcha mean, being silly!!)
    but Bryce leaves (and trees) versus Carrara leaves!!! %-P
    we will not go there!!! ;-P

:) i have a bryce tree rendering

edited May 2013

Just having a glass of red on a Saturday night.
    The red tree leaves are a smoking pipe object with a lattice transmap applied
    the Carrara word is TEXT with surface replicator replicating a leaf

carraratrees.jpg
    2000 x 835 - 488K
    edited December 1969

I saw that. Waiting to see the animation! I've used volumetric clouds quite a bit to create light cone like effects and sunbeam like effects for quite some time. I think I also came across the possibility almost as an accident. The trick is, that it takes time and patience and the realization that there are many factors and what works in one scene might not work in another.
    Absolutely. This is certainly not something that can just happen in any scene, I'm sure. I'll be trying it in more, though.

head wax said:
    that's a beautiful render Dartanbeck - you might end up winning your own prize :)))

Now for something equally exciting

Daz via Britney has kindly offered to support a monthly challenge in the Carrara forum!!!

so in addition to Dartanbeck's generosity to the winner there will be

1st, 2nd, 3rd place winner, as well as 1 honorable mentioned winner.

1st Place $50 coupon good on DAZ3D items only
    2nd Place $30 coupon good on DAZ3D items only
    3rd Place $15 coupon good on DAZ3D items only

Honorable Mentioned $5 coupon code good on DAZ3D items only

so thank you very much DAZ ! :) :)

I'll update the first post to reflect this!
    Awesome! Thanks for getting this whole ball rolling!

edited May 2013

thanks Dartanbeck!
    DAZ will sponsor a monthly challenge - how cool is that?

Almost as cool as yourself!

We have to show them it's worth their while by getting some enthusiam going.

The BRYCE people had 17 entries.

we can do better than that.

Hope you are feeling better.

take care of the brain, it;s worth the cash to stay on the planet

seriously.

edited December 1969

now this is REALLY hotting up!

edited December 1969

Crap! Now I really will have to get my ass in gear!

edited December 1969

Crap! Now I really will have to get my ass in gear!

you mean you are BAREASSED!! :red:
    edited December 1969

Heh :) I think it's a great opportunity for someone to win enough cash to help upgrade to c8 or 9 ;), plus Dartanbeck's wonderful upcoming product would be a joy for the winner to own..

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

This really great news. Some love from DAZ.

So now it s time to make some pictures....

Doc2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 255K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here's me experimenting with an idea...

The grass is hair, but I'm having a struggle getting the colour to look right.

This is not the final layout. This was only for testing out different workflows.
    My goal is to model everything in Carrara (I normally do that in Hexagon, and Carrara is ...differente)
    I will also try to use as much procedural shaders as posible.
    But for the leaves and plant, I guess I'll have to make some texturemaps.

Doc3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 327K
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    This really great news. Some love from DAZ.

So now it s time to make some pictures....

Great shader for your rock, Varsel! Very nice! :)

edited December 1969

Varsel, looking superb!
    That tree on the cliff looks very much banzai! Or even Bansai :)

thanks for posting your WIPS too!

edited December 1969

I edited the first post to say

Edit 29th May to change voting restricted to Particpants - where a particpant is defined as “someone who makes an entry in the challenge.” Particpants may NOT vote for themselves.

The reasoning being to keep the voting retsricted to those who are interested in t his project enough to place an entry.
    If anyone thinks this is a stupid idea please let me know.
    The rules aren't set in stone.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Edit 29th May to change voting restricted to Particpants - where a particpant is defined as “someone who makes an entry in the challenge.” Particpants may NOT vote for themselves.

The reasoning being to keep the voting retsricted to those who are interested in t his project enough to place an entry.

You could phrase it Chicago style: Vote early, vote often! ;-)

edited May 2013

Ha hah :)
    Yes, I wasn't really sure what would happen with the voting so I thought I'd better put a caveat restrictor imaginarius on it.
    What ever a "caveat" is.

Sounds like a kind of primordial cat. ;)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

:question: This doesn't really make sense to me.

If five people submit entries and only those five people are allowed to vote, you'd end up with a tie every time.
    But if you can't vote for yourself, and are forced to vote for your opponent, what is the point of entering?

I'd like to enter this contest, but plant creation is one of my weakest areas. So, I was going to sit this first one out. But I was still interested in voting. But now I can't. :down:

edited December 1969

I gotta agree with de3an. I think that voting should be open to the forum, whether you submit an entry or not. For instance, I would like to submit one, but I know I have some stuff coming up that may prevent it.

de3an, I don't think you're required to use the plant editor. You can use any of Carrara's tools to create what looks like plants. You could use the vertex modeler or one of the other under utilized modelers, such as the spline modeler or the meta-ball modeler. Heck, I'd love to see a terrain edited to look like a plant!