Carrara and Genesis 2

tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

As many of you may already know, Genesis 2 is on its way to us at some point in the near future.
For those of you who are Platinum Club members, there are preview pics available in the Members Forum.

I was curious what people thought about the idea of a Genesis 2.
It seems a bit too soon for a new Generation of Genesis. The bugs aren't out of Genesis 1 yet.

Also, for our purposes here, we have yet to achieve a proper fit in Carrara for Genesis yet. Now we're getting Genesis 2.

Obviously, we will be getting more facts in the coming weeks about Genesis 2.

I was just curious how my fellow Carraraists might feel about Genesis, Genesis 2 and our role in them.

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

{Reserved}

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

are any of the ninja PA's Carrara users?
    while they cannot disclose much maybe some Carrara renders could be posted?

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure Wendy.
    There are some renders posted (I believe they're Daz renders) over in the Members Only forum.
    I think that's the only place they're allowed for now.

Not much actual information has been posted.
    Just a number of character renders, plus some hair and poses.

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

I was very interested a while ago when Genesis was first introduced. The main reason was, for Carrara it meant that we finally had a mostly native rigging to work with and design for. Important info that I'm not sure many Studio users knew of, but it doesn't matter, because C8.5 is/was not finished.

Without more info, such as Carrara support, I can only guess that,...as long as G2 stays inline with Carrara's native rigging architechure, AND Carrara C8.5/9.0 gets some feature improvements to go along, there shouldn't be any issues(?). G2 could also be one more reason C8.5 is held back so long(resources etc).

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    As many of you may already know, Genesis 2 is on its way to us at some point in the near future.

It seems a bit too soon for a new Generation of Genesis. The bugs aren't out of Genesis 1 yet.

You've just said it yourself right there.

Whether it's a refinement, feature addition or set of 'bug fixes' what better reason can you have for a new figure.

There's a long way to go before I'm going to be fully satisfied that any figure performs exactly as I want it to. Any step along exploring any of the paths towards producing the perfect figure are welcome.

In the meantime I'll work with what I have and buy more as I need or want to.

By the way, what I really want just isn't possible right now but I can see a time when it would be as long as people keep taking these small steps forward.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

I'm not sure Wendy.
    There are some renders posted (I believe they're Daz renders) over in the Members Only forum.

how would you know if a Carrara render posted was G2 any way , they look the same .

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh, are there problems with Genesis? I don't beta test for DAZ anymore (their choice).

Glad I didn't buy the G, but assume it will still be compatible for those who have been investing in it? Wasn't that the whole point of that figure? For those of us who couldn't care less, what should we know?

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Well DAZ had to have something for C9 to charge us for. Not like there are going to be any new features in C9 with out it.

I get this sinking feeling further builds of Carrara will simply be making it compatible with the latest DAZ dolly.

But I do agree. The carrara version that is compatible with genesis isn't really out yet and DAZ is moving to genesis 2.

Personally I am off the DAZ dolly band wagon. What I have now does quite well and I see no need to constantly update to the latest one.

But then I have issues with being forced to pay for the privilege of using genesis in carrara in the first place. I've pretty well given up on DAZ anyway. They seem incapable of giving us carraraest what we want in carrara. Seems all DAZ can do with it is brake existing features and make it dolly compatible.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I continue to hope for Genesis 1 to catch up, in terms of available clothing and hair, etc., and still have hope that it will be the big asset that I thought it would be all along. The way the whole idea works, I have a sneaky suspicion that much of the Genesis 1 line of clothing and hair will either work with G2, or be made to.
    Like Rogue Pilot, it never bothers me to try a new figure.
    I have been very impressed so far with how well Genesis holds up to changes in shape - like... Totally complete changes, never before possible - while still maintaining a working figure. Take the new 'Monstrosity' line for example. That figure no longer resembles the default little gray guy in the slightest, but is a gigantezoid beast. I really love that aspect of Genesis - moreso than I have enjoyed using it as a human, so far. But that is mainly due to the current better selection of stuff that "I" want amongst the Generation 4 lineup.

When it comes to my main human characters, I like to add my own, specific morphs from time to time, as the shot calls for it. Once that happens, my new version of that character now has those new morphs for use in other shots, etc., and I have found V4 and M4 easier to use in that regard, so far, since none of the included material with either Genesis or Carrara tells me squat about what to select during the "Protected Topology" phase of manipulating the mesh. So far, every time I work with custom morphs in Carrara on Genesis, I have removed topology protection, which killed the fitting of clothes and such. So I'm still in the baby-steps phase of bringing in Genesis to my production. Genesis people end up being the background noise. But it does make a great monster!

I love the Daz3d lineup of figures and think that they really do a great job of making them easy to work with in the end. Genesis 2 is too new for me to talk about, so I don't. I always look forward to the new stuff - but am grateful that generation 4 figures and their accessories are still very much alive. I'd rather deal with the joint rotation issues and still have a mesh that I can tweak on the fly.

So I hope that Carrara eventually evolves to make tweaking the Genesis mesh a more pleasing experience. I do look forward to the future, though.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited June 2013

One of the products shown in the members area promo for Genesis2 is a Carrara only product, with Carrara renders.
    Not sure how much is OK to post about it, but it looks like a typical product from Ringo Monfort..

It looks like Carrara is ready for Genesis 2 from the start, since the Carrara promo renders is in the same post as the rest of the G2 products.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

hopefully they did not just import an obj!

and yes, I will part with my munny too!

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited June 2013

tsarist said:

I'm not sure Wendy.

I think G2 actually looks like they've fixed issues... . I'm liking G2 more than G1, and our own Ringo posted an image in that thread with Carrara shaders! EDIT: 3Drendero beat me to it.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited June 2013

They have some Victoria 6 Shaders for Carrrara in the works with pics that Ringo Monfort posted a pic of them applied to V6 in the PC thread with preview pics.

Edit: never mind 3drendero beat me to it.

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

I still have trouble using Genesis in the Carrara beta. Genesis will load most of the time, but I keep finding things that annoy me. I'll give Genesis 2 a try most likely, but if I get "duplicate id" errors, missing duf, dson, or whatever file format errors in Carrara I'm out.

I can't find what I install for Genesis most of the time in the beta because the the bottom panel is so full of icons and the tree menu is almost as bad. I keep buying Genesis stuff when it's on sale in hopes that Carrara will someday support it well, but I'm losing faith.

Oh, I can work around it most of the time but it's a pain. So, I think the idea of Genesis 2 is great--just like the idea of Genesis was great. If G2 comes out and I need to buy extra stuff just to get it to work in Carrara it might be the last straw for me--for Genesis anyway. 4th gen figures work great for me and they still have support.

Since a promo pic has Carrara shaders, I'm hopefull that full Carrara usability is coming soon (that's right, I said it).

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

But I do agree. The carrara version that is compatible with genesis isn't really out yet and DAZ is moving to genesis 2.

... What I have now does quite well and I see no need to constantly update to the latest one.

Pretty much my opinion. I'm still avoiding Genesis and using C8.1, with M4, V4 and K4 my working characters. I'm debating whether I want to renew my PC membership, since it seems the majority of new items coming out are Genesis based. I.e. no Poser installer, only DSON Importer, which I understand does not get it into Carrara 8.1.

Also, I'm starting to feel like I already have all the items that I can use, so not much old stuff left for me. At least not at DAZ, thankfully some other sites still develop for my situation.

B-} The Smileys still are not working B-{

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    I.e. no Poser installer, only DSON Importer, which I understand does not get it into Carrara 8.1.

Poser 9 weight-mapping doesn't work in C8.1 either.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    I.e. no Poser installer, only DSON Importer, which I understand does not get it into Carrara 8.1.

Actually they do, after prepping them with a free plugin:
    http://fenric.com/wordpress/downloads/
    in the not so free Poser Pro 2012.

edited December 1969

G2 render done in C 8.5

1_G2.jpg
    1040 x 780 - 114K
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited June 2013

Well I think we can tell what Daz really thinks of Carrara - this is from the Victoria 6 (Genesis 2) description

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/23933/P15

"Software support

The two industry leading software products for leveraging the DAZ 3D models are DAZ Studio (which can be downloaded for free at http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4-pro/) and POSER. Whichever of these you prefer, Genesis 2 will work just fine. '

Not even a mention of Carrara !!!!! :long: They don't consider it a leading software for their own product ?

smileys still not working.

Post edited by 0oseven on
    edited December 1969

So let me see if I have this right. C8.5's primary reason to exist is Genesis compatibility. We don't have C8.5 yet, and here is genesis 2.

oooooK.

Seems DAZ is developing their dollies faster then they can develop apps to use them

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

The naughty bits are still not mapping properly when the prop is loaded onto Genesis2 female in C8.5

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    So let me see if I have this right. C8.5's primary reason to exist is Genesis compatibility. We don't have C8.5 yet, and here is genesis 2.

oooooK.

Seems DAZ is developing their dollies faster then they can develop apps to use them

that because dollies are easy to do - smile

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    G2 render done in C 8.5

The Victoria 6 Carrara shaders should be out very soon.

Regards

• rubidiumrubidium Posts: 27
    edited June 2013

Answering to 0oseven:

In fact the non-beta version of Carrara does not support Genesis.

As a curiosity, if you go to the "Products" section of the website, you will find three separated ambits:
    - "Scene and image creation" featuring Content marketplace: 3d models and content for Poser & Daz Studio as well as Daz Studio Pro.
    - "Animation" featuring Carrara Pro and Daz Studio Pro.
    - "Modeling" featuring Carrara Pro and Hexagon Pro.

The description they give for Carrara pro is:
    Carrara is a complete 3D authoring suite that provides advanced tools to help you get your work done
    And for DAZ Studio:
    Design amazing digital art with this popular 3D figure customization, posing, and animation tool.

Also, according to the product pages:
    Compatible 3D software for Michael 5: DSON Importer for Poser, DAZ Studio 4.6, DAZ Studio-
    Compatible 3D software for Victoria 6: DSON Importer for Poser, DAZ Studio 4.6
    Compatible 3D software for Michael 4 base and victoria 4.2 base: DAZ Studio, Poser
    Also or Michael 3, Vicrotia 3, Stephanie Petite and David 3 they only list Poser & daz Studio as the compatible 3D software.

A last experiment:
    Search "Victoria" or "Michael" in the shop and you will find 4231 and 2025 results respectively. Do de same but selecting Carrara as compatible 3D software and you will find 45 results for Victoria and 26 results for Michael.

I think that they should emphasize more the compatibilty with Carrara...

Ramon

Post edited by rubidium on
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    G2 render done in C 8.5

Regards

thanks didn't need them .

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bigh said:
    G2 render done in C 8.5

Regards

thanks didn't need them .

Awww comon bigh everyone needs carrara shaders. I mean I don't, but everyone else does. lol
    You know I'm just funnin ya Ringo ;) One of the few things I'm real good at in carrara is the shader room. Not as good as you, but good enough to suit myself ;)

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Well here is one sample image.

popup_5.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 398K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So after insisting one unisex figure is best DAZ has now separated Genny into male and female?

And who doesn't love more polygons?

Quick everyone. Buy the same 3 caucasian shader sets AGAIN for the newest-est new new figure...

I'm hitting the SNOOZE button.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Well here is one sample image.

That looks nice, Ringo!

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Steve K said:

Actually they do, after prepping them with a free plugin:
    http://fenric.com/wordpress/downloads/
    in the not so free Poser Pro 2012.

You don't have to have Poser Pro, but the results are better if you do. The trouble is that Carrara can't read Poser 8 "capsule" rigging, and most of the newer Poser figures use that a lot. If you have Poser Pro (either 2012 with a script I include) or 2014, you can convert all rigging to weightmaps first and that will import into Carrara better.