Oso Fur Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited May 2018

Artini: You should be able to add a millennium cat, then double click OFS Cat Fur and it creates the geoshell with the fur applied to it (which has masks for milcat). Does that not work?

(And once you do that, you can then pop whatever base color you are using into the fur's base color)

As for gravity and comb and so on, that's unfortunately impossible with this approach.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited May 2018

Thanks for the answers. It works. Previously, I have created geoshell myself, so that is why your preset did not work for me.

Do You know, how to make fur to be looking more smooth and soft?

Cat23pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 526K
    Post edited by Artini on

Shorter, higher subd, and possibly some translucence will help.

Thanks. Will try that.

edited May 2018

Below is the render with Translucency Weight set to 1.00 and the map put into Translucency Color.

Cat26pic05Transluc.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 469K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Artini said:

Below is the render with Translucency Weight set to 1.00 and the map put into Translucency Color.

So cute! Nicely done! :)

Thanks a lot, Divamakeup.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027
    Artini said:

This looks really good! If you change the color to purple, you've got yourself the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland! 

Thank you so much, giselle3000, and good tip - have to try that.

edited May 2018
    Tiger002pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1023K
    Post edited by Artini on

I tried very hard to make the fur look less than a plush doll... but sometimes a plush look is exactly called for. Very cute!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491

Artini check the tiles on the body of the texture, it's tiled off.

We so need a new updated toon mouse. Here's a quick play with the good old house mouse ... 

mouse.jpg
    513 x 699 - 319K

Thanks a lot, Oso3D. Your shaders opened up a lot of possibilities.

Thanks for the tip, DisparateDreamer. I have noticed, that something is weird with body textures.

edited May 2018

Further trials with Precious series - https://www.daz3d.com/precious-deer

Deer04pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 677K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2018

Toons could also take advantage of the fur shaders.

Below is an example render of https://www.daz3d.com/toon-cow

CowBull03pic07.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 601K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2018

One thing you'll note is that a base color map on a regular surface often looks darker on the fur shader (and even moreso with translucency, which is one of several reasons I decided translucence wasn't a good choice for the fur)

You can use a small amount of diffuse overlay with white color to lighten it, or use LIE to add a low opacity white layer.

The BEST option, if you can do it, is to make another version of the base color map that's simply lighter. (In Photoshop, increase brightness, then increase vibrance to recover some of the color)

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited May 2018

Thanks for the tips. I have noticed, that translucency darken the fur shader a lot.

Anyhow, below is another trial - beaver - https://www.daz3d.com/beaver-by-am

Does not look similar to LAMH version, but I like the speed with your shader.

On GTX1080: Rendering Time: 2 minutes 48 seconds

Beaver03pic03.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 251K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027
    Artini said:

Thanks for the tips. I have noticed, that translucency darken the fur shader a lot.

Anyhow, below is another trial - beaver - https://www.daz3d.com/beaver-by-am

Does not look similar to LAMH version, but I like the speed with your shader.

On GTX1080: Rendering Time: 2 minutes 48 seconds

I like the effect! It looks like he just came out of the water and his fur is still wet!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I have zero skil in the area, but a set of 'presets' that give displacement overlays that are 'patterened' to the common clothing areas, such as v-necks, swimming costumes, tee shirts, shorts, etc., for some of the common figures (G8M and F would be a nice start) would be really handy!  Also for body parts such as palms, soles of feet, eyes.

The G8F/M presets included have masks that take care of palms/soles/eyes etc., yeah. Same with mildog and milcat.

Clothes are a lot trickier, because even two v neck outfits are going to be off, and a clear line where the fur stops looks pretty weird if you are off by a bit. Keep in mind that since the fur is a geoshell, you can fairly easily shut it off for various body regions, which takes care of the easier tshirt/shorts/etc. options.

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Can you tell me how to do a mask for v4 or m4, your post about masks went way above my head, I ask because I have the most animal skins for them, or maybe a add on I would gladly pay for it

The advanced/easier approach:

Open up a V4/M4 figure in some 3d paint program of choice (I like Mudbox, it's cheap and effective).

Paint it all gray, then paint in black where you want there to be little/no fur, and white where you want the fur to be longer, then blur it.

Export the paint layer for each body surface zone (face, torso, limbs?), there are your Fur Length masks.

The simpler/harder approach:

Open up your V4/M4 skin in Photoshop (or GIMP, or whatever).

Make a new layer, all gray. Set it to be 50% opacity so you can see where the skin is.

Do the same white/black painting in.

Set back to 100% and flatten, save the mask.

Repeat for each surface. To make it easy on yourself, try to leave all the seams between zones gray (IE: don't try to paint near the neck, shoulders, or hips)

The problem with this second approach is that it can be VERY hard to get seams (where the flat map wraps around the figure) to line up correctly. Oso Furry is fairly forgiving, but still, it can look weird if it doesn't line up right.

Then create a geoshell on your figure (top of Daz Studio bar, 'Create> New Geometry Shell'). This is going to be the fur that your figure wears.

Go into Parameters (probably on the lower right of your UI), Visibility, Surfaces, and then check OFF all the stuff that obviously shouldn't be furry (like pupils, tears, toenails, etc)

Apply the Oso Fur shader to everything in the geoshell.

Change the Fur Length image to the appropriate masks (again, there will be face, torso, and limbs)

And there you go; you might want to start with a simple color option, or you could plug in base colors if you'd prefer.

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Thank you I'll give it a try

It might help to look at the G8 masks to get the gist of how to lay it out.

edited June 2018

Thanks a lot, Gigi_FenixPhoenix. Oso Fur shaders is a very flexible product and one can adjust a lot of things in it.

Post edited by Artini on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Is there any chance of Presets for the Hivewire Animals, Big Cat, House Cat, and Dog? Please

edited June 2018

If someone wants to distribute fur length maps for such things, that would be cool.

I don’t own them, so I can’t do it myself.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

again I don't have your shaders as I don't use iray or even DS that often but if you download the freebie LAMH presets for those animals on other sites they have density maps that can be exported, I use them for my Carrara fur and may work with this too.

• Lx75Lx75 Posts: 25

Hello Mr. Oso3D,

I´ve tried to use the old Genesis Gorilla together with some kind of furry skin shader. To be honest: I haven´t purchased your new fur shaders- maybe not yet. I used some carpet fur shader from Iray essential shaders and adjusted the displacement (-0.9/+0.25).

It would be nice to see what´s possible with your new fur shader applied on the genesis Gorilla figure. I´ve seen such figures on sites for professional 3d models. They do look quite realistic and impressive.

By the way: I tested it with it´s LAMH-Preset from furrythings, but the results were unsatisfactory. An update for that figure by DAZ would be really nice.....

test genesis with a modified carpet fur shader.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 266K