Oso Fur Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

124»

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

A clean reboot, maybe?

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    Oso3D said:

A clean reboot, maybe?

Well, dog-gone-it! That worked, even though I'd done an uninstall/reinstall with DIM. Just goes to show that it's easy to miss the obvious blush. Thanks, Oso!

I’m just happy it worked!

But yeah, I’ve seen occasional issues that stubbornly persist even after restarting the software, and end up needing a full reboot. Not sure why some problems do this.

It’s funny, years ago I was having internet problems and the customer service person said to reboot. I roll my eyes and say ‘uh, fine.’ Thinking they were wasting my time with their stupid script.

Aaaaand the problem vanished.

I apologized and made a joke about my attitude and made a mental note that yeah, try rebooting.

• Here's the funny thing... even with dForce fur around this is still a very strong and useful product.

dForce Fur is nice and all but it slows down rendering. If you just need something to look fluffy... save the runtime and use this.

Kinda like Jape's body hard Geoshell vs. fibermesh.

• where do I fond the

Material Options: Dog 8 Material Options:

• Dachsund BlackBrown Fur
    • Dachsund Red Fur
    • Dachsund TanGold Fur
    • Default Fur
    • FrenchBulldog BlueWhite Fur
    • FrenchBulldog Brindle Fur
    • FrenchBulldog Fawn Fur
    • GreatDane Blue Fur
    • GreatDane Brindle Fur
    • GreatDane Fawn Fur
    • Labrador Black Fur
    • Labrador Chocolate Fur
    • Labrador Yellow Fur
    • Labrador Chocolate Fur

If you go into your Content Library:

Animals/Daz Dog 8/Hair/Furry/Materials

• not in mine perhaps reinstall no materials folder Animals/Daz Dog 8/Hair/Furry/Materials

Woops, sorry:

Animals/Daz Dog 8/Hair/Oso3D/Furry/Materials

(redface)

• got it thanks so much i got confused with one for mildog and cat all good now thanks

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited March 2020

@Oso3D

Hi and thanks for this displacement shell. It seems to be giving nice results. 

But could you please post a step-by-step tutorial on how to apply that displacement fur to any mesh while retaining the original textures ? Something like "1/ select an object with the Surface selection tool 2/ apply this shader 3/ do this and that, ect. ". I mean... should I select the object with the Surface Selection Tool, then apply... what ? OFS Oso Furry Shell Base ? or OFS Oso Furry Base Surface ? Or both ? In which order ? 

Not everyone is a DAZ senior user who understands the logic of shaders and so on. Coming from ZBrush/Maya/3DS Max, the DAZ interface is kind of a mess with this 90% sliders UI. Trying to get "fur", I end up with tons of weird results (transparent object, fur all white when I want it to pick up the original texture, etc.) but not at all what I expect and what others seem to achieve easily in this thread.

I just can't figure out how it works and it's getting really annoying. I read the pdf and, if it gives nice insight on how it's all done, it doesn't explain much how to make it all work. I'm pretty sure there's a shell created and that the displacement acts on that shell, so I should be able copy the surface materials from the original dog, cat, bear, whatever I try to put fur on, and then paste those materials onto the shell that your fur shader creates... but I can't see any extra layer of geomtry ? Anyway : I'm a bit lost ;)

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

This is the terrible looking result I end up with after about 2 hours trying to figure out the logic of it all. Original DAZ Cat on the right, and the one with ugly colored fur in the foreground. A shader that applies the fur while automatically retaining the original texture would really be nice.

Post edited by hansolocambo on

Ok, so the cat is a little weird; House Cat is an update of the Millennium Cat.

I made Oso Fur before the House Cat came out; there's a fur set up for the MilCat, but it's not associated with House Cat so you have to go find it. If you go into your content library, it's under Animals/MilCat/Hair/Oso3D/Furry

Just click on it. You WILL have to go in and change base color to whatever skin you are using.

I also suggest hiding the Nose surface (On the fur, Parameters/Shell/Visibility/Surfaces/Nose : OFF)

If you can, the fur looks way better at subd 9 (in the Surfaces, Fur SubD), but whatever your machine can do. (The higher, the finer the fur looks)

edited March 2020

Just to be clear : the problems that I encounter have nothing to do with the shader, but are due to my ignorance of Daz.

Sorry I used "the cat". I should have taken a sphere as an example. A mesh is a mesh ;) But thanks for the special Milcat Fur and this tip to avoid fur on the nose. So much about this DAZ UI remains obscure to me...

So, for those who eventually struggle as I do. This is my own "step-by-step" :

The subdivided shell that'll be used to displace vertices and give this fur effect needs to be an extra mesh. Thanks to Oso3d for precising that.

I'm editing this post to add a first step :

1/ Create a New Geometry Shell. That's the one you'll use for the rest of the "fur" process. Keep your original mesh.

2/ select your shell using the Surface Selection Tool (Alt+Shift+M)

3/ Go into your Library Tab : Shader Presets / Oso3D / Iray / Furry

4/ Double click on the OFS Oso Furry Shell Base

5/ Double Click on the OFS Oso Furry Base Surface

6/ With your Surface Selection Tool, be sure that the shell is still selected and in th Surfaces Tab, assign to the shell the same Base Color as your original mesh.

7/ Set Translucency Weight to 0. And play with the Glossy sliders to get rid of any whitish fur.

8/ If you own a proper painting app such as Subsance Painter, you can export the original mesh and paint its surface from pure white to pure black. Load this texture in Cutout Opacity set to 1 and :

- white will generate fur.

- Black won't generate any fur.

- Values of grey will have an effect on the "fur" density

In the example below, I used a cutout opacity map with OSO FUR in pure white (fur fully generated), every side of the rectangle and the bottom in pure black (no fur generated), and the rest is a about 90% black and gives this very light grass barely visible. I was hoping to manage the fur length using such a texture as a displacement, but I'm not sure it's possible. This example gives an idea of what a cutout opacity custom map can do with the great Oso3D's shader. 

It's a workflow. Certainly not the best one as I just began to play with all that a few hours ago. But at least you'll end up with a cute usable result.

Cheers.

Ok, important thing: for the most part, the fur is intended to be used on a geometry shell on the figure, not the figure itself. (It CAN be used on the figure itself, just... not the recommended approach)

So best bet is to go into Create/New Geometry Shell, and then do all the Oso Fur stuff on the geometry shell.

Or not, it's up to you.

edited March 2020

Yeah you're absolutely right (I figured that out but was hopping to be wrong). I'm editing my precedent step-by-step post ;) 

Thanks Oso3D. I forgot to precise that. Displacement tends to make some "seams" appear as it pulls all vertices towards each quad's normal direction. And it's indeed better to keep the mesh and use a shell as an extra layer for the fur.

Your shader gives really nice results. Great job   d(-_^)

Thank you and hope you enjoy it!

• Strangely I'm having trouble applying this to my RawArt Bat Beast character. The fur simply doesn't show up on the geograft. I went through hansolocambo's steps listed above step-by-step three times, tried other ways of doing it... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? If I apply Fun Fur Iray shaders directly to the character I get displacement fur but that's not what I want. Very peculiar. Any suggestions? Thanks.

edited February 2021

Did you plug in some kind of mask into fur length on the wings?

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • bishboschbishbosch Posts: 47
    edited February 2021

No, the wings are Attachments and I actually removed them hoping this would help the situation, but it didn't. Eventually I had some success after I applied the fur to a base character then used the Bat Beast sliders to create my character, as weird as that sounds. But I just reopened my scene file and now the fur is missing. I think it's only affecting this one character (Bat Beast) but that's the only character I need the fur for right now! Very odd.

Edit, 7:42: Reloaded the file and the fur is back. Well, I can't explain it.

Post edited by bishbosch on

Aaaah, you see, the neutrino emissions of the sun were now striking your computer at a different angle, which is critical for displacement...

Or something.

Glad you got it working. ;)

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

Oso, I just want to say, I actually use this for Fur more often than the strand based hair. It takes a heck of a lot shorter to render and looks almost as good, espeically when you're not doing a closeup and just want something fuzzy in the scene.

Glad to hear it!