Oso Fur Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited June 2018

Quick test on Genesis Gorilla, but I have not applied all available maps (specular), yet. Probably need to create the masks, as well.

Rendering Time on GTX1080: 3 minutes 35 seconds

Gorilla04pic03.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 302K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I don't have Gorilla for Genesis, but I DO have Gorilla for G2M. Here's an attempt, using the maps included for LAMH as fur length map. To keep the fur from getting too dark, I used the base color of the albino gorilla and darkened it a bit. The fur is a little too glossy (which causes the speckling), but still, good enough to show.

Looking at the last two Gorilla renders, my suggestion is to lower the fur maximum length; I'd say about half of whatever it is.

Furry Gorilla.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 476K
  • i have a map i made for hivewire cat and setting I made... I will dig out later and try to share. 

edited June 2018

These shaders are soo good = eternal fun to use.

Below is a test render of Rufus - https://www.daz3d.com/plushies-rufus

Meow04pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 367K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018

One more render of Rufus.

Meow05pic03.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 472K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018

Zot - https://www.daz3d.com/alien-zot

and HiveWire Big Dog.

Zot08pic01.jpg
    1600 x 1080 - 542K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 2018

A test render of Genesis 8 Female and the presets included with Oso Fur shaders.

Clothes needs a lot of tweaking, to avoid a pokethrough.

Borg05pic05.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 238K
    Post edited by Artini on

Working on a product using Oso Fur and another tip for doing masking; try out your fur length maps with a black figure and white fur. It will help identify exactly where things go on the figure.

Thanks for updating the shaders.

Thank you for alerting me that the update went through! hahaha

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-fur-shaders-for-iray

So there are additional promotional shots showing the update... Oso Fur templates and presets for Dog 8! Been excited about this for a while... and a bit sad, as we had to put our dog of 13 years down two months ago.

The last promo made me cry while making it. :/

Anyhow, hope people enjoy Oso Furry Dogs!

So sad. Have to do this once in the past, but now we have a beautifully made Dog 8 and I will enjoy it to the max.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Oso3D said:

Thank you for alerting me that the update went through! hahaha

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-fur-shaders-for-iray

So there are additional promotional shots showing the update... Oso Fur templates and presets for Dog 8! Been excited about this for a while... and a bit sad, as we had to put our dog of 13 years down two months ago.

The last promo made me cry while making it. :/

Anyhow, hope people enjoy Oso Furry Dogs!

I'm so sorry you lost your little guy. They really are family and it's so hard when they leave us. Be happy that you gave him a good and long life though. He was blessed to have you guys take care of him and give him a good life. *big hugs*

The new promos for the new presets look awesome! So cute! I love the one with the kid on the dog's back and the one with the dog on the couch on his back with his tongue hanging out made me laugh! :) 

The last one is sad, but lovely - and I think it's true what they say, all dogs go to haven. They're amazing!

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

This is defiinitetly being added to he top things I want to get once it’s on sale again,....sorry,  it looks great and the dogs and cats are adorable 

Well, hey, folks, my catalog is on sale!

Get Oso Fur at 40% off, and you can finally enjoy the dog templates along with the rest of it.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I noticed someone post regarding fur for the feet, a la hobbit style; doable with your fur shader?

If the fur is short and straight; it’d look a bit like mole skin or something. I’ll give it a quick test, but my guess is probably not a good way to do it.

edited September 2018

Actually, hey, not so bad. It needs a bit more attention to get the mask painted well, maybe a dab of hair on the toes, and so on.

Also blending the mask a bit more. mmm.

Furry feet.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 172K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Completing show my "newb" level in Daz.  How do I load a geoshell the next time I want to use it? blush

I played around with the DAZ Sheep, found instructions in the forum for saving the geoshell as a wearable, howeverk I have no clue how to find and use it later.

Well, you can select the Sheep and then hit File > Merge into scene and then go find wherever you saved the wearable to. That should plop it back on the sheep.

That's probably the easiest/best way to do it (since a wearable would save things like 'hide hooves' and whatever else you have set up on the geoshell)

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Hey @Oso3D I just had a thought...

I know that Displacement moves the surface in the direction of the normal to the surface plane. That's why you suggest not using too long a fur length as it will end up looking like a plush toy most of the time. But what if there was a normal map that fooled the shader into thinking that the surface was tweaked in a certain direction? Say on a dog the surfaces could appear tilted back along the neck and away from the spine toward the ground for the body?

Alternatively, could you introduce a "gravity" modifier to force the normal for the displacement to be adjusted downward?

Or is the displacement a "closed" system that won't let you monkey with the direction of the displacement once you invoke it?

I’ve experimented and I’m 99% sure the Normal is strictly geometry, and you can’t manipulate it via a map.

Ive thought about creating a conforming suit such that set polygons are angled backward and then masked so only those polygons generate fur... but at that point I think it’s difficult enough that one may as well use fibermesh instead.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Oso3D said:

I’ve experimented and I’m 99% sure the Normal is strictly geometry, and you can’t manipulate it via a map.

Ive thought about creating a conforming suit such that set polygons are angled backward and then masked so only those polygons generate fur... but at that point I think it’s difficult enough that one may as well use fibermesh instead.

I was afraid of that, but thought I'd ask since it occurred to me while looking at the examples here. And yeah, plan B sounds like a lot of work. Given updates in Iray rendering to support polylines, maybe we can hope for a new hair technology in the future. :)

That would be nice, whether some sequel to LAMH or something new.

I have Zbrush and have experimented with fibermesh; I decided to develop Oso Fur to be an easier route that works for some cases.

I made a fursuit for Otter using fibermesh and... wow. Close to 10 million polygons and I still wasn’t happy with it.

• I just want to say how extremely happy I am with this, and I'm very glad I got it. It works beautifully with big cats 2 and is far, far more stable than LAMH catalyzer (which is also great, but has given me uncontrolable nightmares with stability and performance). 

You do have to perform some "tricks" for the best results, but, hey, when do you not?

Some helpfule tips, for Big Cats 2, anyway; create a geoshell of body and face skin, only. Apply the shell fur base shader. Apply the color map from the big cats texture folder to the BASE COLOR setting, and the same texture jpg, to the TRANSLUCENCY COLOR setting. Make a greyscale of that same texture jpg, then invert it. Use that for the fur height map. It looks awesome! I haven't tried it on Tigers or spotted cats, though... that could be fun to figure out, but that trick can be applied to lions and other relatively flat colored cats.

Big Cats 2 renders lots of models as almost pure white in IRay, so you'll have to adjust all sorts of stuff, like teeth, the mouth, nose... it requires a great deal of work to get them to look proper in IRay (in my experience), but great fur is not a problem anymore!  Not to bash any LAMH products, because when it works, it is unbelievably beautiful, and its probably something I'm doing wrong anyway, but this is fantastic too! Just great!

BTW: where do I find the readme? I used default directories for my installs, but I can't find it anywhere.

edited October 2018

Whenever looking for a readme, you can go into DAZ Install Manager and click on the info icon next to the product, which sends you to the Daz docs page, which often then has a link to the readme.

For Oso Fur:

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/52947/52947_oso-furry-readme.pdf

And yeah; fibermesh, LAMH, and similar stuff can look better, but at a huge cost in time (trying to get it to look right), render time, and machine limitations. It is, ultimately, another tool in the box to use under the right circumstances.

Originally I designed Oso Fur because I was working on the Otter and wasn't happy with the tools I had. I tried LAMH, I tried fibermesh, but kept running into problems.

Oso Fur fits neatly as an easy way to manage short fur.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Oso3D said:

Whenever looking for a readme, you can go into DAZ Install Manager and click on the info icon next to the product, which sends you to the Daz docs page, which often then has a link to the readme.

You can also find it via Smart Content/Content Library>Products by right-clicking on the product and selecting More Information, or if youa re inside the product in Smart Content just click on the thumbnail at top-right above the category list.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803

Has anybody tried to "misuse" this shader as a grass shader? Id like to have the option to simulate some short cut lawn in my renders.

If you do, be sure to use a high density mesh, and I'm thinking you'd want to use some sort of cloud texture to get random bumps and such.

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550

I needed a cold violin for our concert's poster, the winter part of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. I tried Oso's fur shader's ice preset and boom, there it was. Awesome product.

ViuluIce.jpg
    2100 x 2970 - 1M
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited May 2019

Furry Dog 8 my render!

Okay, first off I love @Oso3D's fur shaders. Now for my problem: I was making a bunch of furry dogs to use in a render, and had no trouble with the Dachshund, French bulldog, Labrador and Great Dane; then I started with a new scene, loaded the default dog as usual, leaving it with the Doberman shape and texture, then added the fur, also as usual and still all the defaults. So I added the Default Fur texture shader, applying it to the fur and started a render to see what it looked like and... waiting, waiting, waiting for the render to start. Nothing.

Well then, close Studio, and start fresh... To get the exact same problem: the render engine just sits there thinking, with no progress for ten minutes or more. Usually, furry dogs render in an empty scene in no more than 30 seconds on my PC.

Has anyone any observations, comments, suggestions? I can get around the problem by not using this particular dog setup, but that doesn't solve the underlying puzzle.

EDIT: Of course this is all in Iray. I rarely use the 3DL engine.

Dog8MyRender.jpg
    2562 x 1438 - 858K
    Post edited by frankrblow on