Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

Intriguing torus knot. Something that ought to be rendered in 3D, as an anaglyph.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

This is it then... the final render... I think. :-)

Changing the amount of ivy leaves got the render time down from 9 hours to just over 4 hours.

FairyWaterDayALT3b.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 727K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: No, detailed explanations aren't needed until I understand regular explanations. And until I get to the point I need a detailed explanation.

@David: Nice, more videos to watch and try. Thank you very much for all those videos. First new shape is really nice, I recognize the main form but the added hooks(?) will take a bit of thinking. The interlocking knots are really interesting.

@saurabh: Toon images are really colorful, and the pencil sketch abstracts are way neat.

@Dave: All three of your newer fairy images are real nice. Love the colors in the first one, the feeling of very early in the morning of the 2nd and 3rd, and the re-added ivy to the 2nd and 3rd images. Nice work.

@mermaid: David beat me in mentioning those nice objects seem to be floating. It's something I can forget to check and it's something I run into even when the objects are grounded. Down to far and the edges are embedded into the ground plain, to high and things looking like they're floating. Guess it's a balancing act.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited September 2013

Thanks David, I also like my feet firmly on the ground, but presently I’m experimenting with lighting and materials and could not find another way to try more materials in a render.

Thanks Horo

Thanks Guss but in this case the floating was deliberate, I couldn’t place the camera in a view that appealed to me, You used the right term-balancing act, the lights, the materials, the positioning etc all count to make a good render.

saurabh.gayali - nice pencil sketch abstracts.I still need to try David’s and Horo’s pencil sketch tutorials

Dave – love the last one, absolutely beautiful.

My attempt at David’s Simulating SSS basics I used Horo’s Simplon Hdri. I'm not sure if I got the right effect.

sssbasic1.jpg
    550 x 550 - 14K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - water looks good now and the haze at left helps in pointing to the focus. This is a very nice piece of art.

@GussNemo - I hear you. I'm sorry about forcing this IBL stuff on you.

@mermaid010 - I think your cube looks very good, but we let David be the judge.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

well I don't know how this will go over....I am still playing with people which I am not good at.....This is called...Waiting for help....any and all help is needed here please......Thanks Trish

vicki_w_wagon6.jpg
    1313 x 655 - 715K
    edited December 1969

well I don't know how this will go over....I am still playing with people which I am not good at.....This is called...Waiting for help....any and all help is needed here please......Thanks Trish

Trish: Don't be afraid to turn the sun up a lot... mostly, if that's what's lighting your scene it needs to be up at at least 200 (it's default is 100).
    Also move the sun extremely towards the horizon to get longer more elegant shadows (and that will hopefully give your background some definition too) and use the sky lab haze controls to get that background looking far away, it'll give more depth to your composition.

And is she supposed to be sinking into the path or is her skirt really so long it covers her feet up?

The pose and expression is excellent and it's really just about tweaking the lighting to get it looking less flat. :)

edited September 2013

Meanwhile: I've put the fairy to... errr... "bed" sounds wrong in my head, but then so does putting the fairy to sleep... So I'll go with put the fairy to one side for the moment.

A simple composition here using the free ladybug (random replicated) and David's concrete material from the Contributing Artists folder in the mat library.

LadyBugGroup.jpg
    1111 x 600 - 343K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Meanwhile: I've put the fairy to... errr... "bed" sounds wrong in my head, but then so does putting the fairy to sleep... So I'll go with put the fairy to one side for the moment.

A simple composition here using the free ladybug (random replicated) and David's concrete material from the Contributing Artists folder in the mat library.

That reminds me of the year when we had a plague of ladybirds (ladybugs) over here, and someon down the road has just painted their front wall white. :coolsmirk:

Interesting effect

edited December 1969

Dave: thanks I will work on the sun...Thank you.....she is so far on the ground because I didn't have shoes for her....LOL

edited December 1969

Dave: thanks I will work on the sun...Thank you.....she is so far on the ground because I didn't have shoes for her....LOL

Bare feet may just add to the hardship she is suffering... :)

edited December 1969

ok I hope this looks better I pushed up the haze and sun and put more diffuse in the mountains...bare foot would be a hard ship but I had already deleted her feet....so she really does need help.

Untitled.jpg
    1371 x 684 - 752K
    edited December 1969

ok I hope this looks better I pushed up the haze and sun and put more diffuse in the mountains...bare foot would be a hard ship but I had already deleted her feet....so she really does need help.

Yes, having to pull a cart when you've got no feet would indeed be a hardship. :cheese:

It is improved by your changes as your character now stands out a lot more from the background, which looks a lot further away. :)

edited December 1969

OK, a question

How do I get over this. " renders, the only difference is that the one has a water slab.

How do I sort out the problem with the trans map showing in the one with the water?

reef_rock_2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 537K
    reef_rock_1.jpg
    900 x 675 - 521K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    OK, a question

How do I get over this. " renders, the only difference is that the one has a water slab.

How do I sort out the problem with the trans map showing in the one with the water?

Blend transparency on the transmapped object's materials?

edited December 1969

Here is ...Hungry Babies.....I think the light is all wrong ..I put lights in each of the stalls the roof over hang messes with the rest ...I think??

Hungry_Babies5.jpg
    1746 x 797 - 811K
    edited December 1969

Here is ...Hungry Babies.....I think the light is all wrong ..I put lights in each of the stalls the roof over hang messes with the rest ...I think??

actually the light is not bad, the stall lights might be a bit too intense. what is the fall off setting for the lights, linear might not be enough

over all it looks pretty good to me.

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited September 2013

chohole said:
    OK, a question

How are you adding the water to the scene? If it's a volume slab or a plane then you don't need to add the map to it at all, just give it a plain colour in each channel. Use the bump channel to make it look as if it is water. To get the caustics (the coloured patterns of light cast over the scene) add the map to the light that provides the lighting for the scene. You may need to use a parallel light and switch the sunlight off to get best effect.

Post edited by Fire Angel on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

200th Tutorial. Wings 3D project - two part twisted woven cube - by David Brinnen

Now I should really get on with some work!

Twisted_woven_cube1_octane1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 195K
    Twisted_woven_cube1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 437K
    DS_render7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 249K
    edited December 1969

still fooling around with the Mobius rings..

new-rings.jpg
    800 x 800 - 416K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    chohole said:
    OK, a question

I would hardly make that mistake Rareth. If you notice it is fine on the one image, it only shows on the one with a water slab, so is something that using the water is doing. Is why I asked if it could be fixed.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    OK, a question

Reminds me of a problem Johnathan Allan Cummings had once, his was caused by inadvertently having two infinite planes in the scene that exactly occupied the same Y space. So that's something to check, just that you don't have two planes in the same Y. It's an obscure suggestion I know, but it has caught me out before.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Rareth said:
    chohole said:
    OK, a question

I would hardly make that mistake Rareth. If you notice it is fine on the one image, it only shows on the one with a water slab, so is something that using the water is doing. Is why I asked if it could be fixed.

Hey it never hurts to ask, sometimes the obvious is the cause. Now I know volumes and transmaps don't always play well in other render engines.

edited September 2013

Rareth they are radials and they are each set to 13....there is one in each stall.Horses get fed in the morning and late in the day at least mine did........so I was trying to go for an early morning look. I just noticed the appys shoulder looks funny maybe its the shadows...

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Rareth they are radials and they are each set to 13....there is one in each stall.Horses get fed in the morning and late in the day at least mine did........so I was trying to go for an early morning look

fall off, not the diffuse setting

you want the light to decay over distance if you are going for realism,

light-falloff.jpg
    711 x 530 - 106K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Rareth said:
    chohole said:
    OK, a question

so images mapped on a 2d plane? could be an issue with the alpha channel not being transparent enough, and the volume material is interacting with it.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    chohole said:
    Rareth said:
    chohole said:
    OK, a question

Hey it never hurts to ask, sometimes the obvious is the cause. Now I know volumes and transmaps don't always play well in other render engines.

I have never noticed things behaving like this before, but them maybe I have never tried to put anything with a transmap underwater.

BTW I did even check the trasnsmap and it is 100% black and 100% white, so that is not what is causing this. I also removed any reflection from the water, although there is a specular element, and the refraction is set at 133, wjhich is correct for water.

edited December 1969

@Trish - I know that problem with missing shoes. A better way is to bring the person to the foreground and cut her off at around the knees. The best solution was presented by Dave. This is a lady from the land and she might have healthy feet that can walk oin this ground.

Horses looks good in the stable, nicely posed. I agree with Rareth that the lights are too bright in the stalls. It's daylight outside, a lamp will never be so bright on the ground. Use linear or square falloff on the lights to have the stalls bright but no light outside - or make it a night scene.

@Dave - ladybugs can bite, I've read, and they can be a real plague if there are as much as we see here. Nice render, though.

@Pam - isn't that the bug with volumetrics? I never used slabs for underwater (though Rashad did), I always used haze and either a plane for the surface or a terrain.

@David - interesting cubes. Get something to drink, your voice will be thankfull after 200 videos.

@Rareth - looking nice, there's some SSS effect on the green part.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Rareth said:
    chohole said:
    Rareth said:
    chohole said:
    OK, a question

I have never noticed things behaving like this before, but them maybe I have never tried to put anything with a transmap underwater.

BTW I did even check the trasnsmap and it is 100% black and 100% white, so that is not what is causing this. I also removed any reflection from the water, although there is a specular element, and the refraction is set at 133, wjhich is correct for water.

ok so I whipped up a quick and dirty underwater scene with a water volume slab, and only using Bryce materials and low and behold the problem shows up... the weird part is shows with the water slab using a surface material... and is a lot less pronounced with the water slab using a volume material.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Hi bullit35744

I think, the shadows look alright. I would change one little things. The colour of the light. Artificial light especially when it comes from a bulb always is a bit yellowish even redish.

I tried to make a modell of your light situation. And I have to admit, that's not easy. One thing, that came to my mind. If I have understood you correctly you wanted to make a early morning scene. In the early morning before the sun is up, there is no shadow. Therefore you have to switch off the direct sunlight. But of course it should not be too dark. The night mode in Bryce is probably too dark. Maybe you could use IBL instead. But perhaps I am totally wrong and you just wanted to make a scene with both sunlight and artificial light.

This discussion has been closed.