Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Fire Angel - this is coming together nicely.

@Dave - yeah deers are shy things. I've encountered two on my hikes. The first one was about 10 m away and when I made the slightest move to get the camera out, it was off with a few strides. The second time was about a month ago, about 50 m away. I hid behind a tree, got the camera out, put on the 300 mm lens, peeked, deer was still there, came out of hiding, deer looked and was away before I could press the trigger. Something must have happened here. When you pressed the trigger to render, it hopped away.

@GussNemo - the objects came out nicely. Good idea about the paint material. Background and ground are such that the objects gets the main focus.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Lovely renders from Rareth, Trish, Dave, Guss and Dangerlad

David and Horo- thanks for the Pencil Sketch video.

An experiment with the twisted mobius (very different result to David’s) and lighting using a Hdri. Premium render 256 Rpp, soft shadows, TA

unusual_mobius.jpg
    700 x 700 - 43K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I live near a place called Deer Hill... earlier this month when I sent out to watch the meteor shower, I actually saw a deer on the hill for the first ever time and I've lived around here for almost all of my 49 years. :)

In other news... The fairy too has now decided to move on, but I managed to capture her in this render as she flew off.

FairyFlying.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 333K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - looks like a strange vehicle to me. Good work!

@Dave - your renders with this backdrop are priceless. Great composition, too.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2013

Dave, superb as ever, and if you imported and posed those figures using DS bridge and DS. You could join me here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28092/ in my overtly sneaky campaign to use my fumbling DS renders of Wings models to show off Bryce renders.

Mermaid, interesting, unexpected, a bit odd, nice lighting and materials. A little bit dark on my monitor. Maybe needs a key light source to create a bit of contrast?

Jamie, Nice renders, particularly like what you did with the ground in the last three. And inspired by your linked video. Here's another, perhaps easier, way to tackle this shape in Wings3D.

Wings 3D project - interlinked mobius loops another way or three - by David Brinnen

You get three for the price of one in this video. And bonus, if you only want to make one, you only have to watch a third of it!

Edit, Fire Angel, looking good, complicated, well composed. My only suggestion would be that the haze is perhaps a bit overly strong and blue, given that the sky is so clear.

Three_different_mobius_loops1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 337K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Dave, superb as ever, and if you imported and posed those figures using DS bridge and DS. You could join me here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28092/ in my overtly sneaky campaign to use my fumbling DS renders of Wings models to show off Bryce renders.

I don't use DS or the bridge David... Much like Chohole, I always pose and export as .obj using Poser. :)
    edited December 1969

I don't use DS or the bridge David... Much like Chohole, I always pose and export as .obj using Poser. :)

Ah Poser. I tried version 5 I think it was, very slow, very slow indeed it was for me. OK, was worth a try. I couldn't encourage you to lie and pretend you had used DS anyway. That would be dishonest, and what I'm suggesting is only really devious. Totally different things.

edited December 1969

Ah Poser. I tried version 5 I think it was, very slow, very slow indeed it was for me. OK, was worth a try. I couldn't encourage you to lie and pretend you had used DS anyway. That would be dishonest, and what I'm suggesting is only really devious. Totally different things.

I love poser because it's easy... I haven't done a render in Poser for ages though as I just export the figures to Bryce nowadays.
    I know the (not very) "advanced" lighting options in Poser are a bit of a drag timewise with all it's pre-calculating, but I'm using a by now quite old version of Poser too (it works fine for what I need, why upgrade?) at Poser 8. It's runtime folder is stacked with purchased and freebie content that regularly comes in useful for my Bryce renders. :)
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Fire Angel: That is a good looking image.

@Dave: Another stunning image. Really like the vivid colors.

Watched David's last mobius video and came up with the two below. I also created mobius rings following the video I found after watching David's video. I like using transparent material but found that using those materials on this object makes getting a good pose difficult. So I switch to automotive materials and it posed better. Oh, Rareth and Horo, I remembered this time about keeping the ground simple. ;-)

Those came out great.. I also use and abuse the Automotive paints in Bryce, they tend to look awesome as they are, but I tend to generate my own bump textures to give them more character. I also loved that Mobius video you link, I learned more about Wings doing that, and now my muse is inspired.... have much to reflect on.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2013

David; never thought I would see you in the dark side.....surprise.....rendering in Daz...What has come over you???...LOL secret mission...Huh

Post edited by Trish on
    edited August 2013

David; never thought I would see you in the dark side.....surprise.....rendering in Daz...What has come over you???...LOL secret mission...Huh

There's that DS button in Bryce, I've all but ignored it for eight years, natural curiosity has overcome me... Now the game can be extended. Octane, Wings, Bryce, DS. Who is who?

Click on the image to see full size.

Oh here's the video to go with the shapes.

Wings 3D project - interlocking torus knots - by David Brinnen

Interlocking_torus_knot_quadview1.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 496K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@David - looking nice. From top left clock-wise: Wings3D, DS, Bryce, Octane. Right?

Purchased Zigis tute and installed it. Can't make it work.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much. The ground on the last three images is TE DTE generated, the first one that, accidentally, came out as I wanted.

@mermaid: Thanks. That shape is really interesting, yet the overall image is rather dark to me.

@Dave: Another stunning image. Does the fairy know where she's going next? Perhaps to find a badger or mole, or others of her kind?

@David: Thank you and thank you. I never knew using the Tab key brought up that window which allowed setting to be input. That was makes it much easier creating the initial form, and adding the braces. I will give those other two videos a go for sure. BTW, love those new images.

@Rareth: Thank you. I think I gave texture creating a go some time in the past, but everything ended up looking like oatmeal. :lol: I'm getting to the point except for the automotive material, I not happy with the built in choices. And am starting to get a bug to try and create my own. A daunting task for me since I'm still learning about the DTE, and will be for some time I feel.

Some time ago I posted the first image below. Because I don't seem to have an eye for creating landscapes they are something I shy away from. I don't remember what was happening on this site at the time, but I gave a landscape a try and produced a canyon looking image I thought my best so far. Using that image I again watched David's pencil sketch video and produced the next two images. David didn't talk about how to treat terrains so I deduced the same procedure applied and followed suit. I removed transparency from the water terrain before hearing David talk about leaving transparency in for the image he was working with. The last image has transparency for the water terrain left in and you can now see there is a structure beneath the water.

Canyon_River_Pencil_Sketch_w_t_757_x_758_144_3_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 890K
    Canyon_River_Pencil_Sketch_wo_t_757_x_758__144_2_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 720K
    Canyon_River_757_x_758_11_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited August 2013

Guss:These are beautiful!! I don't see why you would say you don't have an eye for landscapes...I like the feel of them and the colors go well together!! Keep it up...I feel like I am traveling down the Colorado river

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

linked Mobius rings.. and friend

mobious-rings.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    edited August 2013

David: Theres a Daz button on Bryce........LOL nice undercover work by the way

mermaid: very lovely

Rareth: good stuff as usual

Dave: I like your faries great work

I need help on this one you all know by now how bad I am at lighting.........good ,bad, or ugly just help me make this look better PLEASE...Its supposed to be titled....Morning Ride

Morning_Ride3.jpg
    1374 x 685 - 552K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for the nice comments. I'm having a lot of fun with this scene in the various renders.

Guss: The fairy (who I've named Nuff) is going to find a crop of lovely mushrooms (I knew the mushrooms I made the other month would come in handy at some point) :D

FairySat.jpg
    800 x 650 - 400K
    edited December 1969

@Trish: Thank you for your kind words. I've made two landscapes that were worth a tinkers darn, I thought; the one I recently posted one of the two.. The rest look like a slow train wreck. My problem with landscapes is not knowing exactly what to do with the mountains I have no problem creating. I usually draw a huge blank when it comes to composition. Now to that neat image you've created. Look at the horse/rider shadow and look at the bright light right in front of them. The only time you see a bright light like that is in the movies when the audience is suppose to think people can chase each other on a dark dark night. :-) Me myself and I would try disabling that bright light, increase the background light or increase the setting for the material to give the illusion more light is actually there. If that didn't give what I wanted, I'd set everything back the way it was and start turning down that bright light. Then maybe play with material settings and background lighting. This is what I usually do anyway since I'm not at the point where I know exactly how to set up lighting to get what I want.

@Rareth: Like the results in that image. Is the orb just a sphere with metal material, or is there more to it?

@Dave: Talk about foresight. :-) Like the light rays in the first image, those mushrooms are the kiss that makes that image.

@David: I've tried all but the last video and must say the method you used is much quicker in placing the braces. It will be interesting to see how the two I created render.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - nice pencil sketches. Landscapes can look quite nice in this mode.

@Rareth - nicely done, I like the colours. I wonder how it would feel to wear such a ring.

@Trish - nice render. The rider bangs his head on the upper frame as the horse gets up and down. Give that guy a bit space.

@Dave - now your mushrooms have a place to grow. The bit of ivy is a nice detail. Fairy being a fairy can sit on a log in such a way. I would certainly slither down and land on my face. Very nice render and great use of DOF.

edited August 2013

Horo: your right he did run into problems.....I put him farther down now but I'm not sure he can recover.....My people have accidents!!!

Guss: This is not a movie???? Sorry I guess I was drifting back to working on x-men first class......Is the lighting better now?????

Dave: I have always thought you did a great job on your work but this one is super!!! The mushrooms go nicely!!

accident2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 918K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for the nice comments. I'm having a lot of fun with this scene in the various renders.

Guss: The fairy (who I've named Nuff) is going to find a crop of lovely mushrooms (I knew the mushrooms I made the other month would come in handy at some point) :D

Giggled when I saw your Fairy's name. Reminded me of one I did a while back, with accompanying poem which inspired it.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=920286&user_id=12932&np;&np;

• edited December 1969

Well, it worked. I'd grabbed Bryce 7 Pro eons ago, but couldn't really use it on my puny laptop screen. I've just reinstalled it (you're to blame for that, btw! :-D ). First impression: boy that interface is a mess. I miss DAZ Studio's scene list to select object the old-fashioned way... by name.

Anyway, my first three renders: as you would expect, random stuff plopped down on a water plane. :-D

BryceTest02c.jpg
    800 x 600 - 122K
    BryceTest02b.jpg
    800 x 600 - 264K
    BryceTest01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 106K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Rareth: Like the results in that image. Is the orb just a sphere with metal material, or is there more to it?

@GussNemo

just a sphere with the material "super chrome" applied all the fine details are reflections of the HDRI used.

edited December 1969

another go at the Mobius rings, this time with a glowing effect. no HDRI, going for a different scene.

glow-rings.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 540K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I miss DAZ Studio's scene list to select object the old-fashioned way... by name.

Raindrop, you may already know this but in case you didn't: In addition to ing in the viewport to select items, you can also see a list of names to choose from by selecting the appropriate category at the bottom of the screen. For example, in this screenshot I clicked on the stone icon to see all the stones in this made-up scene.
    Admittedly this isn't as nice as DS's scene list because you can't arrange them, plus if you have too many things in the list (like if you create hundreds of instances or something) it doesn't list them all. However if you didn't know you could access them this way, this might help you.
    screenshot,_select_by_name.png
    646 x 139 - 38K
  • edited December 1969

No, I didn't know that! Thank you, very useful.
    I skimmed through the doc, as I was in a hurry to get my hands dirty. :o

edited December 1969

@Trish - oh the guy looks hurt.

boy that interface is a mess.

Welcome to Bryce and this forum. The Bryce interface was designed by an artist for artists, not scientists. You'll get used to it - just click on everything. I have DS since the 0.x versions and I can't make it work, neither Carrara, with which I started with version 3.

Nice renders, I like the third one. The water looks great.

@Rareth - the glow is ambient, is it? There is no brightening of the ground - but then, I was - probably wrongly - thinking of Obscure Glow.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Trish - oh the guy looks hurt.

boy that interface is a mess.

Welcome to Bryce and this forum. The Bryce interface was designed by an artist for artists, not scientists. You'll get used to it - just click on everything. I have DS since the 0.x versions and I can't make it work, neither Carrara, with which I started with version 3.

Nice renders, I like the third one. The water looks great.

@Rareth - the glow is ambient, is it? There is no brightening of the ground - but then, I was - probably wrongly - thinking of Obscure Glow.

it is pretty much all ambient with TA turned on etc.. the appearance of glowing is due to a rather large cube with a volumetric material applied with a base density of 2, it is reacting just enough (at least on my screen) to provide a very slight glow fx.

edited December 1969

No, I didn't know that! Thank you, very useful.
    I skimmed through the doc, as I was in a hurry to get my hands dirty. :o

Ha! Welcome indeed. That's the spirit! Don't read the docs - get pressing those buttons. Oh... I'm nearly up to 200 tutorials on my youtube channel, so if you get stuck and don't feel like reading, you can pick up a hint or two there. http://www.youtube.com/user/davidbrinnen

Not forgetting, http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html And there's links also to the some of the same video tutorials via DAZ's own help threads.

Yeah... the interface is different... But that's because everyone else's interface is wrong;)

If you get stuck, just give us a shout. We have all been there.

Beautiful renders Dave, Trish and Rareth. Great effect with the materials there on the glowing mobius loops.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised how well that one turned out as a pencil sketch. I've been thinking of trying some others to see if they look better as pencil sketches.

@Trish: The spot light look is gone, though for my tastes it's still a bit too bright in the area around the horse and rider. Speaking of which, does the rider have a stomach ache? Next image would be of the rider half way to the ground.:lol:

@Raindrop: Nice to see a new face. Name of the first image is "Borg ship takes a drink." Like the meld of cube and sphere along with the nice looking water. Color and texture for the rocks in the second image is interesting. Third image is nice.

@Rareth: Ah, ok, I thought that's what it might be. Like the glowing rings, but where was the cube you spoke of placed?

Consolidated two objects, each from one of David's videos, into one image and give an orb a try just to see how it affected the scene. The HDRI is Japanese Blossoms and seen as is for effect. RPP is 64 and it took a bit over 30 minutes.

Mobius_Interlocking_Rings_Loops_2_2.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.