Kit Bashing Japanese-style and/or Pacic Rim Type Mechs. What have you done?

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    akmerlow said:

Nice! Very cinematik.

Thank you.

edited September 2019

I took an old poser mech available on CGHare, retextured it with IRAY shaders and slaped a Daz Jetpack on it.  It's an armored mech suit.  The front and head open up.

Mech Armor Suit.png
    1000 x 800 - 591K
    Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

I don't see an image.

akmerlow said:

I don't see an image.

I was going to post the link to my D.A. stash but for some reason, I can’t get into it.  I can’t re-upload the image right now because I’m on travel right now,

akmerlow said:

I don't see an image.

I uploaded the image.  You should see it now.

Thanks, i see it now.

Reminds me classic mech tv shows/animes from 80s which were more "military". Like VOTOMS or Mellowlink.

akmerlow said:

Thanks, i see it now.

Reminds me classic mech tv shows/animes from 80s which were more "military". Like VOTOMS or Mellowlink.

80's mecha is what I grew up on.

You Shall Not Pass

You Shall Not Pass by tkdrobert

Mecha vs Kaiju IV

Mech Vs Kaiju by tkdrobert

Nice, love dynamics of captured moment, and visual shader stylisation fits nice!

btw "godzilla"-like kaiju here really reminds me some punks...

Guardian Mecha MK IV

Guadian Mecha Mk IV by tkdrobert

Attack on Mars: Fight to the Death by tkdrobertAttack on Mars: Landfall by tkdrobert

Mecha Squad by tkdrobert

edited January 2020

These weren't created using DAZ but they're good examples of what I'd like to see in the DAZ marketplace.

My Mecha by tkdrobert

My M.A.S.S. Shogun Mecha mk I by tkdrobert

Attack on Mars: Fight to the Death II

Attack on Mars: Fight to the Death II by tkdrobert

Gundam00

Gundam00 by tkdrobert

edited February 2020

The Cosmic Knight.  For this one, I combined the Cosmic Knight with Arcadia Wings.

Cosmic Knight by tkdrobert

The Guardian Bravo Jeager is an XPS model imported into Daz.  Everything else came from the Daz Store.

Guardian Bravo by tkdrobert

Macross

Macross by tkdrobert

Here is a concept for a Voltron-like robot.  This was suppose to be a quick project, but LineRender did a lousy job this time.  I had to import this image into my iPad and fix a lot of the lines.  I modified the base model of this robot.  The shoulders were added from some greebles I have.  The upper legs were also modified with a combination of greebles and primitives.  This is the 1st time I've successfully used greebles to my satisfaction.

Guardian of the Universe by tkdrobert

Another mecha came out in the store today and it's totally not what I'm looking for.  I'm starting to lose hope that anyone will make the type of mecha that I want.  I just don't have the free time to learn modelling.

Another kitbashed mecha

Custom Gundam by tkdrobert

Gypsy Danger

Gypsy Danger by tkdrobert

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,638

Full-featured mecha in Daz would be quite a thing! No mean feat to pull off, either. They would have to be fully rigged to have the right articulation. Then, one would have to do something about cockpits and there could be add-ons. Done well, could be exciting!

Torquinox said:

Full-featured mecha in Daz would be quite a thing! No mean feat to pull off, either. They would have to be fully rigged to have the right articulation. Then, one would have to do something about cockpits and there could be add-ons. Done well, could be exciting!

It's been done.  There just aren't enough that are too my specifications.  Dzfire, mighty_mestophales, and Valandar have made some cool robots.  I know they could make what I want. I own a lot of what the've made that somes close to what I like.

There are some really nice Mechas made in other formats.  If I knew how to rigg them for Daz, I would. 

There are some great Robotech-like (aka Macross) mecha (Poser format, but work in Daz) made by a guy who does not sell here.  Sadly, he has retired.  There's a chance he might come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect it takes a lot of work and they don't make enough money here (Daz store) to justify the time spent.

edited March 2020
    tkdrobert said:
    Torquinox said:

It's been done.  There just aren't enough that are too my specifications.  Dzfire, mighty_mestophales, and Valandar have made some cool robots.  I know they could make what I want. I own a lot of what the've made that somes close to what I like.

There are some really nice Mechas made in other formats.  If I knew how to rigg them for Daz, I would. 

There are some great Robotech-like (aka Macross) mecha (Poser format, but work in Daz) made by a guy who does not sell here.  Sadly, he has retired.  There's a chance he might come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect it takes a lot of work and they don't make enough money here (Daz store) to justify the time spent.

Some cool robots, nothing like a more recent Gundam, a Pac Rim Jager, or even that mech from District 9. Sound slike you've seen some on other sites for other programs. There was a guy on DA years ago making Gundams, but nort for Daz. The Macross Valkyrie by Vanishing Point on Rendo comes closest to the mark from what I've seen, but it's an older model of a very old design. It's labelled VGF-14 D Wildcat. Looking at your DA gallery, you seem to have that one. It works in Daz? Beyond that, I think someone would have to put in some time and effort to put together a Daz-compatible solution.

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited March 2020
    Torquinox said:
    tkdrobert said:
    Torquinox said:

Some cool robots, nothing like a more recent Gundam, a Pac Rim Jager, or even that mech from District 9. Sound slike you've seen some on other sites for other programs. There was a guy on DA years ago making Gundams, but nort for Daz. The Macross Valkyrie by Vanishing Point on Rendo comes closest to the mark from what I've seen, but it's an older model of a very old design. It's labelled VGF-14 D Wildcat. Looking at your DA gallery, you seem to have that one. It works in Daz? Beyond that, I think someone would have to put in some time and effort to put together a Daz-compatible solution.

Yes, I have the Wildcat.  It is very 90's.  The Wildhog (which I also have), by the same artist, is more modern looking.  I was talking to that artist, trying to get him to make something based on the F35 or F22, but again, he has retired.

Your right, in the Daz store, there is no RECENT, realistic, Pacific Rim or Gundam style mecha.  Some mecha has been released recently, but they are either spider-like or western in design.

The Pacific Rim renders I have done contain XPS models.  They were posed in XNALARA, then exported out in OBJ format.  I then import it in Daz, add the textures, and convert to IRAY.  A real pain and I can't adjust the poses once they are in DAZ.  Some models don't work well in Daz, so I have to scrap them or do lots of post-work.

There is a live action Gundam movie in the works.  If it actually comes out and is good, maybe we'll see some Daz models made.

tkdrobert said:
    Torquinox said:
    tkdrobert said:
    Torquinox said:

Yes, I have the Wildcat.  It is very 90's.  The Wildhog (which I also have), by the same artist, is more modern looking.  I was talking to that artist, trying to get him to make something based on the F35 or F22, but again, he has retired.

Your right, in the Daz store, there is no RECENT, realistic, Pacific Rim or Gundam style mecha.  Some mecha has been released recently, but they are either spider-like or western in design.

The Pacific Rim renders I have done contain XPS models.  They were posed in XNALARA, then exported out in OBJ format.  I then import it in Daz, add the textures, and convert to IRAY.  A real pain and I can't adjust the poses once they are in DAZ.  Some models don't work well in Daz, so I have to scrap them or do lots of post-work.

There is a live action Gundam movie in the works.  If it actually comes out and is good, maybe we'll see some Daz models made.

I see. Hope for the best on that!

Mecha vs Kaiju V by tkdrobert

Cool! Looks like a frame from a fighting game :D

Torquinox said:

Cool! Looks like a frame from a fighting game :D

Thanks.