Kit Bashing Japanese-style and/or Pacic Rim Type Mechs. What have you done?

1235»

Comments

• tkdrobert said:
    Torquinox said:

Full-featured mecha in Daz would be quite a thing! No mean feat to pull off, either. They would have to be fully rigged to have the right articulation. Then, one would have to do something about cockpits and there could be add-ons. Done well, could be exciting!

It's been done.  There just aren't enough that are too my specifications.  Dzfire, mighty_mestophales, and Valandar have made some cool robots.  I know they could make what I want. I own a lot of what the've made that somes close to what I like.

There are some really nice Mechas made in other formats.  If I knew how to rigg them for Daz, I would. 

There are some great Robotech-like (aka Macross) mecha (Poser format, but work in Daz) made by a guy who does not sell here.  Sadly, he has retired.  There's a chance he might come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect it takes a lot of work and they don't make enough money here (Daz store) to justify the time spent.

This friend just posted recently that he has uploaded his Vampry veritech fighter to the site his new store is at....so it just has to clear store red tape and it will be available!
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    tkdrobert said:
    Torquinox said:

Full-featured mecha in Daz would be quite a thing! No mean feat to pull off, either. They would have to be fully rigged to have the right articulation. Then, one would have to do something about cockpits and there could be add-ons. Done well, could be exciting!

It's been done.  There just aren't enough that are too my specifications.  Dzfire, mighty_mestophales, and Valandar have made some cool robots.  I know they could make what I want. I own a lot of what the've made that somes close to what I like.

There are some really nice Mechas made in other formats.  If I knew how to rigg them for Daz, I would. 

There are some great Robotech-like (aka Macross) mecha (Poser format, but work in Daz) made by a guy who does not sell here.  Sadly, he has retired.  There's a chance he might come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect it takes a lot of work and they don't make enough money here (Daz store) to justify the time spent.

This friend just posted recently that he has uploaded his Vampry veritech fighter to the site his new store is at....so it just has to clear store red tape and it will be available!

Yeah I got notice.  I'm waiting for it to show in the store.

edited March 2020

Macross: Dark Bird Crew

Macross: Dark Bird Crew by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,770
    I am working on some "Halo inspired" conforming armor that could easily be used for a Jager or GUNDAM pilot ...personal internal use For my next animated film project.
    FROM-SHOT-INSTUDIOONE.jpg
    1000 x 624 - 414K
    wolf359 said:
    I am working on some "Halo inspired" conforming armor that could easily be used for a Jager or GUNDAM pilot ...personal internal use For my next animated film project.

Cool

edited March 2020

This is a W.I.P. project I'm working on.  I'm using normal maps, IRAY shaders, and IRAY decal nodes on this older mecha model to make something more realistic.

Mobile Suit WIP II by tkdrobert

Macross: The Dark Bird Attacks

Macross: The Dark Bird Attacks by tkdrobert

edited March 2020

A few more little touches and this model will be done:

Mobile Suit WIP III by tkdrobert

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,637

The Spirit of Macross lives! Cheers! yes

Barbatos Gundam

Barbatos Gundam by tkdrobert

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

This is new today and the $7 price tag is ONLY for today:

https://www.artstation.com/olegushenok/store/n3OV/mega-pack-kitbash-320-details

Here you can see a close up of everything:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRQRQ8

edited April 2020
    Mattymanx said:

This is new today and the $7 price tag is ONLY for today:

https://www.artstation.com/olegushenok/store/n3OV/mega-pack-kitbash-320-details

Here you can see a close up of everything:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRQRQ8

Holy Moly Batgirl!  Thank you.

P.S. I assume these are all OBJ's correct?

I believe so.  His other sets state FBX and OBJ.

Mattymanx said:

I messaged him, they are OBJ.

Catch me if you can

Catch Me if You Can! by tkdrobert

Mattymanx said:

So just FYI on these pieces.  I got his set of 12 Mecha heads.  They are all in one file.  The OBJ is a problem, becuase all 12 heads are 1 object.  I can't use the MAX version at all.  So I had to import in the FBX version.  That version (1 file) has all 12 heads as seperate objects, but each head only has 1 material surface.  In order to use them, I'm going to have to delete all the heads, but the one I want to work with.  Then, I'm going to have to make material zones for that head.  Rinse and repeat for each head.  I just learned how to make material surfaces using the Geomap editer or whatever it's called.  I do not know how to do a UV map.  I'm glad I got this on sale and only paid $5.

His older sets are UV'd so hopefully the heads are too.  YOu should be able to use Blender (dont ask me how) to open the file and save out each head as its own OBj without a lot of hassle since you can export a single piece or a lot of pieces together as a single item.

Mattymanx said:

His older sets are UV'd so hopefully the heads are too.  YOu should be able to use Blender (dont ask me how) to open the file and save out each head as its own OBj without a lot of hassle since you can export a single piece or a lot of pieces together as a single item.

There are no maps and only 1 matrial surface for each head.  I started adding surfaces to one of the heads yesterday.  It's coming along nicely.  It's time consuming, but a learning experience as well.  If I had baught that 350 piece set or the other 500 piece set, it would be a little overwhelming.

I know how you feel.  Its one thing to build your own and do whats needed as you go along but its another thing entirely to take someone elses model and have to do extra work just to get it the way you need it.  Part of why I dont shop outside of Daz much.

BTW, I started watching Macross Frountier this weekend, for the 1st time.  The Valkerie Mecha are amazing.  A wonder update of the original Macross Saga concepts.

This is what I managed to do with my rudimentry skills.

Mecha Head.JPG
    870 x 723 - 80K
    edited May 2020

This is my most kitbashed mech yet:

Mecha WIP by tkdrobert

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,800

Hey everybody, I'm a stranger to this thread but I have a question to you. I have a friend who is writing Voltron Legendary defender fanfiction and they are looking for a proofreader. Would anbody be interested in that?

If yes please send me a pm and I connect you to them.

If not kindly ignore my intrusion blush

Created in a video game.  It has crazy customization.  Unfortunately, I can't export the model out.  I can only screenshot it in Photo-mode and enhance in Photoshop. 

Blazing Hawk Mrk III.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 275K

World War Mecha II Mecha Mania  Wolf Pack On Patrol

Earth Invasion: Rain Fire