Star Trek Builders Unite 8: THE REBOOT

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2018

I don't think that there's a way in Daz and I don't use Hex (never been able to keep it from crashing) but there should be a way to change the axis angle I would think

I use C4D  and in it I can change the angle of the axis there

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited December 2018

Robert:
    Thank you for replying...
    I'm still looking myself but being able to eliminate DAZ helps.
    Odd that you have issues with Hex crashing.
    I do as well from time to time but very rarly anymore and usually it's because something I did in the geometry doesn't agree with it.
    After it crashes, I reboot the last save (I "save" about every 15 to 20 minutes) and if it crashes again or more than twice on the same save version I drop back one more save and when I redo what I did before it works fine again.
    My crashes usually occure once every couple days ans as I said, are typically due to my error.

I use a Dell, Optiplex 960
    64bit Duo CPU Core
    3.16GHz
    8.00 GB Ram
    Win 7 PRO

Hex runs fast and great until I import a figure and then it bogs down a bit when I select the figure and light up the geometry in it.
    DAZ runs fine too untill I get to the third figure and then it bogs down to a frustrating pace.

I'm planning an up grade to a 990, quad core soon.

Post edited by handyman4545 on
  • I bought Hex before Daz owned it and have upgraded each time an upgrade came out and have never been able to do more than select a vertice, line or whatever in it without it crashing and this was on a multitude of systems with different hardware

The only other software that ever gave me so many problems as far as not running was Windows Millineium which crashed every time I tried to boot it

My current machine for 3d (I have 8) is

Threadripper  1950X watercooled

4x Nvidia 1070ti's also watercooled

128 Gb ram

Win10 Pro

All my other machines with the exception of one laptop (Win 10 pro for geneology programs) and my HTPC (Win7 Ultimate) have been converted to Linux Mint

• Should be a simple matter  to move them along the Y axis as long it's rotated to the angle of the cylinders

Whaaaaaa????

I'm locking up on the "y" axis issue.
    Currently it retracts and ezpands but the entire cylinder moves up and down the face of the console as it does that.
    Can't figure out where to find the controls for accomplishing the "rotated to the angle of the cylinders" part.
    Is that in Hex or in Daz?

On the up side, I got the verticle sliders (2) and the T-handle to work but cylinders remain farked up.

*only read this comment and not the backstory so not entirely sure, but:

Have you tried looking at the joint editor (and possibly in combo with the geometry editor) in Daz? You can change the start and end points (and angles) for the bones with the joint editor, and change which polys are affected by the bones with the geometry editor.

edited January 2019

ORIGINAL POST:
    The Arbiter is now in drydock awaiting her paint.

Jan 02:
    Modifying again.
    Decided to add a garage module, under construction and lighting elements instead of the flat panels.
    It leans better toward the existing renditions already out there but still retains my individual conceptions.

Jan 03
    I saw an art of a drydock last night and after looking at the engineering, I decided to make an articulating armature system rather than a fixed one. Seems to me a better method to handle different sized vessels.

Arbiter 005 - Copy.jpg
    1194 x 750 - 994K
    Arbiter 006 - Copy.jpg
    1218 x 906 - 1M
    Preliminary 001.JPG
    826 x 542 - 35K
    Preliminary 002.JPG
    830 x 545 - 43K
    Preliminary 005.JPG
    820 x 542 - 48K
    Preliminary 006.JPG
    828 x 542 - 45K
    Preliminary 007.JPG
    830 x 545 - 53K
  • Moving along the line to commissioning

Preliminary 010a.jpg
    1698 x 1026 - 792K
  • Cpt. Rachelle Garrett, USS Akitsu, 1012
    (Mother of Cpt Rachel Garrett, USS Enterprise, 1701-C)

Cpt RGarrett 001.png
    450 x 600 - 98K
  • Like what you've been doing handyman!

I've been working on some sets here and there. Deicded I wanted a 24th Century styled corridor that you might find on a ship that wasn't a Galaxy class and didn't re-use huge chunks of the Motion Picture corridors.

The roughs are done up in Truespace. Imported part of the set into DAZ for some test renders. Going to have two separate corridor chunks. One is Secondary Hull and the other is the Primary Saucer section with a widened radial section lobby.

The render with the blue lighting is standard operations lighting. The second one is Red Alert lighting. I dropped the white lights down to about a third of what they were for the second render. 

24th_century_corridor___primary_hull_wip_assembled_by_ashleytinger_dcw8dew.jpg
    1920 x 3220 - 581K
    24th_century_corridor___2nd_hull_wip_assemble_by_ashleytinger_dcw8dte.jpg
    1920 x 3240 - 535K
    24th_century_holodeck_exterior_render_test_by_ashleytinger_dcwa8r0.jpg
    1920 x 2160 - 690K
    24th_century_corridor_wip___red_alert_light_test_by_ashleytinger_dcwjncx.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,584

In the TrueSpace draft mode, I half expect to see a protocol droid and an astro-mech to wander into shot. wink

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

In the TrueSpace draft mode, I half expect to see a protocol droid and an astro-mech to wander into shot. wink

Sincerely,

Bill

Heh. Yeah in another forum someone mentioned that they got that Tantive IV vibe off it, which was not my intention, but, well, there it is. ;)  

Proof that colors and lighting can set the right tone for just about anything ;)

edited January 2019

It has to do with the clean, off white and wide corridors.
    SW was big on low detail, bright walls and wide corridors.
    ST is big on moody, detail loaded narrow corridors.

Space on a star ship, especially a long durration ship would be premium.
    Wasted space on corridors would be a motion picture concept. Actuallity would keep the corridors only wide enough to move necessary equipment through.
    ST is big on theoretical rules where SW throws everything "theoretically" questionable to the wind and relys on fantasy to answer the "how would they do that" questions..

On a star base, corridors would be wide to accomodate the mass of people moving through it.
    Like a shopping mall.
    Lots of room and more can be built if needed.

Great work Ash!
    I actually like the clean walls. It's different than most ST ship interiors.
    Seems to me a Galaxy class could do that where a smaller, fighter class like the Akira would need to have some degree of piping and electrical exposure.

• It has to do with the clean, off white and wide corridors.

Wasted space on corridors would be a motion picture concept. Actuallity would keep the corridors only wide enough to move necessary equipment through.
    ST is big on theoretical rules where SW throws everything "theoretically" questionable to the wind and relys on fantasy to answer the "how would they do that" questions..

On a star base, corridors would be wide to accomodate the mass of people moving through it.
    Like a shopping mall.
    Lots of room and more can be built if needed.

Great work Ash!
    I actually like the clean walls. It's different than most ST ship interiors.
    Seems to me a Galaxy class could do that where a smaller, fighter class like the Akira would need to have some degree of piping and electrical exposure.

Thanks!

I built the basic corridor around the same frame size as the TMP refit corridors. Definitely not as wide as the Star Wars corridors. ;)  The only one that's double that is the Engineering/Holodeck lobby that's acting as a double width corridor.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

It has to do with the clean, off white and wide corridors.

I think the use of huge gleaming corridors in Star Wars was a conscious choice. The rebels exist in cramped, dirty ships. The Empire has ships so huge and powerful that they have can wide spotless corridors with bottomless pit rooms. It shows just how uphill the battle of the rebels is. Everything about the empire says they should swat the rebels like an annoying fly. And yet ...

On the other hand, Star Trek tries for more realistic after TNG.  Darker cramped corridors but all meticulously maintained.

• Finished up the import on the Secondary Hull corridors. Three shots, one of the Engineering lobby, a long Utility corridor and the access corridor on the aft end of the lobby that connects the two.

I also did some work on the Primary Hull corridors. I'd originally planned a quarter of the saucer ala the TNG/TMP set layouts, but after re-doing the Engineering Lobby as the Holodeck Lobby, I put two large arcs of corridor on either side equating to almost half the saucer. Each concentric corridor has two long radials coming off it.  The view down this corridor is from the right side of the end of the corridor poitning back towards the Holodeck Lobby. 

24th_century_corridor___engineering_lobby_by_ashleytinger_dcwlm5t.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    24th_century_corridor___utility_access_by_ashleytinger_dcwmg8m (3).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    24th_century_corridor___eng__lateral_access_by_ashleytinger_dcwnr47.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    24th_century_corridor___saucer_corridor_1_by_ashleytinger_dcwpbdj.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Playing with lighting and textures...
    Next I'll add furniture.

PlumTreeLounge 002c 75%.jpg
    1201 x 601 - 422K
  • jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230

First test render on some new toys and textures for our Klingon friends made by Bluto and Mylochka. A big thanks for letting me test them for you 

Test 1.png
    988 x 939 - 2M
  • Anybody know how to get the xyz coordinates on the figures to zero out in their new position?

This chair zeros out fine but the figure, having been adjusted off the original axis now zeros out at an angle to the floor and when you move him he either drops or rises in altitude.

Bridge Explosion 003e.png
    1200 x 900 - 420K
    Capture.JPG
    562 x 566 - 30K
  • jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230

Another test Disrupter and Deathsting Weapons by Bluto and uniform by Mylochka

Test 2.jpg
    2008 x 1408 - 1M
  • Pretty cool!

• Will DeckerWill Decker Posts: 188
    edited January 2019

It's been a while since I have posted anything. Just been trying to find some time to do some new artwork and update some designs. Decided while I want to have my whole Forrestal Universe prepared. I think it is best I focus on one era at a time. Which for now is the Cage/Disco era. Trying to find a balance to update the interior look of a TOS ship within reason. Got inspired by some of the designs Axanar used for their UI and added a little more to the bridge of the Forrestal itself in this era.  

Forrestal Bridge WIP Update 2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 114K
    Forrestal Bridge WIP 3.png
    1810 x 1018 - 3M
    Klingon Commander.png
    1810 x 2560 - 3M
    Forrestal scene 2.png
    1280 x 1656 - 3M
    Langston Tahira Zordane Cadets in Action2.png
    2560 x 3620 - 8M
    Forrestal Screen SYS WIP.jpg
    2500 x 1336 - 468K
    Forrestal ENVIRO SYS WIP2.jpg
    2500 x 1336 - 534K
    Forrestal Screen MSD WIP.jpg
    2000 x 1037 - 196K
    Tammie Tahira WIP 3.jpg
    1438 x 2034 - 422K
    Post edited by Will Decker on
  • Very cool Will!

• It's been a while since I have posted anything. Just been trying to find some time to do some new artwork and update some designs. Decided while I want to have my whole Forrestal Universe prepared. I think it is best I focus on one era at a time. Which for now is the Cage/Disco era. Trying to find a balance to update the interior look of a TOS ship within reason. Got inspired by some of the designs Axanar used for their UI and added a little more to the bridge of the Forrestal itself in this era.  

It is definitely hard to work in one era at a time, especially when you have characters that you an jump around with. That and there are things about each era you really love ;)

I do like what you're doing with these. Gonna love to see the whole bridge done up!

• A fast render of the new, USS Arbiter, NCC-1048
    I'll add more color and effects on the next series of renders.

NCC-1048 USS ARBITER 001.png
    750 x 750 - 534K
  • Nice

• Will DeckerWill Decker Posts: 188
    edited January 2019

I started designing a civilian ship for Forrestal. This ship plays a big part in the first story.

WIP Forrestal CivilianTransport Shuttle.png
    1884 x 935 - 364K
    Post edited by Will Decker on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

I started designing a civilian ship for Forrestal. This ship plays a big part in the first story.

Thats a nice design, very trekish.

• blutobluto Posts: 830

very cool , i hope you plan to share when its done

edited January 2019

The new Arbiter with updated textures.

The first pic is 3DL rendered.
    The 2nd is Iray rendered.
    I have to learn more about the control of the Iray textures and lighting now for apparently, more realistic detail.

Added a couple dramatic, detail shots.
    The shield emitter from two angles outside the ship and one from the engineering pod observation port.

USS Arbiter 004a.jpg
    1152 x 552 - 397K
    USS Arbiter 004 Iray.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 1008K
    USS Arbiter 010.jpg
    1200 x 603 - 478K
    USS Arbiter 007.jpg
    1212 x 606 - 415K
    USS Arbiter 009.jpg
    1209 x 603 - 321K
  • blutobluto Posts: 830