Carrara Challenge 42 – PIONEERS – Dedicated to Eric Winemiller - WIP

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2018

TY Diomede, still need to figure out how I will show city as pioneer without a video

which will of course have alien landing etc

a wider beach, different mixes of shaders, much lower settings on render

I better comment, everything everyone is doing looks great so far!

wider beach.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 308K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    th3Digit said:

TY Diomede, still need to figure out how I will show city as pioneer without a video

which will of course have alien landing etc

a wider beach, different mixes of shaders, much lower settings on render

Looking great Wendy. Herminio at ShareCG has a number of cities, don't know if this one is any use, but check them out - you might find something that catches your eyes. http://www.sharecg.com/v/72090/gallery/5/3D-Model/Mars-Colony-scene

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=herminio&division_id=0&s=dd&pn=4

Diomede said:

Great work, folks.  I have missed a lot, so I hope I can be forgiven for not commenting individually.  The variety of plugin applications is most impressive. I can really see the difference with the beach plugin.  Great job, Wendy (OK, I commented on one, so sue me).  

I did get a chance to do a little for my Appalachian frontier pioneer.  Plan to use the anything grooves plugin on the foreground tree trunks.  May use a shader plugin to muss up the axe head but I'm not sure it will be close enough to the camera to make a difference.  Will use anything grows for help with the foreground terrain.

Two stage render.

Stage 1 - background - create a distance background with some terrain objects, realistic sky, and volumetric clouds.  Duplicated some of the terrains, applied noise filters, textured green and then adjusted z axis to make look like distant vegetation.  Can reduce scale in z direction if want to remove effect from mountain peaks.

Stage 2 - main action - modeled an axe and some "Lincoln Logs" pieces to start the log cabin, but maybe only Americans played with those?  
    https://www.knex.com/lincoln-logs

Had to have a tree stump and a tree partially axed.  Customized some Carrara plants.

Stage 3 - more work to do... sad

Thats a lot of wood chipping for the little bloke.... Love the terrain scene.

edited September 2018

used Inagoni Baker on my shaders so could render in Octane

blurred the surf in Gimp

plan to add buidings, construction in progress and space craft etc

want to use Shantara buildings but are a tad highpoly and easily use all my RAM loading

shoestring mix0001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 461K
    shoestring mix0096.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 484K
  • Fantastic, Wendy!  The changes are impressive.  Looking forward to the buildings as well (I know you will figure out a solution).

+1 on Bunyip's recommendation of Herminio's .obj cities.  Very high quality and imaginative products.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    th3Digit said:

blurred the surf in Gimp

want to use Shantara buildings but are a tad highpoly and easily use all my RAM loading

I like this ... waiting to see how it finishes up in the final render/animation yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

HW, so many interesting techniques and details!  However, the torch flames look odd to me.  For some reason, I think that the flames need to provide a more energetic focal point, if that makes any sense..

Glad to know that the book is going well!

thank you Ub et Bunyip02 for your c and c :) and encouragment !

Diomede said:

Great work, folks.  I have missed a lot, so I hope I can be forgiven for not commenting individually.  The variety of plugin applications is most impressive. I can really see the difference with the beach plugin.  Great job, Wendy (OK, I commented on one, so sue me).  

I did get a chance to do a little for my Appalachian frontier pioneer.  Plan to use the anything grooves plugin on the foreground tree trunks.  May use a shader plugin to muss up the axe head but I'm not sure it will be close enough to the camera to make a difference.  Will use anything grows for help with the foreground terrain.

Two stage render.

Stage 1 - background - create a distance background with some terrain objects, realistic sky, and volumetric clouds.  Duplicated some of the terrains, applied noise filters, textured green and then adjusted z axis to make look like distant vegetation.  Can reduce scale in z direction if want to remove effect from mountain peaks.

Stage 2 - main action - modeled an axe and some "Lincoln Logs" pieces to start the log cabin, but maybe only Americans played with those?  
    https://www.knex.com/lincoln-logs

Had to have a tree stump and a tree partially axed.  Customized some Carrara plants.

Stage 3 - more work to do... sad

very nce Ted, no we didn't play with Lim\ncolm Logs - we were too busy shining our armour in case of a Drop Bear attack here in oz....

I had a thought the other day that inspired me ro do this.

What makes one a pioneer? The dictionary defines "pioneer" as "a person who is among the first to explore or settle a new country or area" and also as "develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity". So, in a way, I think we are all pioneers,

You may not bump into some new uncharted land and give it some absurd name like Cappuccino Falls, but there is one "place" only you can explore -- your Self.. You may not invent the first mind-blowing machine or write about a fictional world inhabited by world things like hobbits, elves, cats, clowns, whatever, but there is something you can develop and share with the world -- your way and an infinity of ideas.

okay, I'll stop rambling. Hope that makes sense and hope this counts.

WIP. Used StarsBright

great effect I forgot about Starbright - goes with your name too

th3Digit said:

blurred the surf in Gimp

much better effect - good idea to use Baker too

• fly around video

I like those buildings suggested for other things but too futuristic for this as though off worldly I want something that fits ancient times better

probably Shantara but will simplify it

edited September 2018

adding buildings, will add spacecraft, foliage and maybe people

atlantis0000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 564K
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • video

buildings 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Wendy, Atlantis is looking excellent.  Much better than Hollywood!  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054642/

LightofHeaven, I really like the direction you took your latest image.  Unique approach, yet such an obvious fit once considered.  Well done.

Thank you, Bunyip and HeadWax, for comments and suggestions.

• Diomede said:

Wendy, Atlantis is looking excellent.  Much better than Hollywood!  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054642/

LightofHeaven, I really like the direction you took your latest image.  Unique approach, yet such an obvious fit once considered.  Well done.

Thank you, Bunyip and HeadWax, for comments and suggestions.

oh wow the chief from Get Smart was in that cheeky

I might have to watch it, funny I was going to have human hybrids in my video too 

my Mermen, centaurs and other DAZ fantasy characters 

and of course aliens

using a mix of softwares for movie but will do a Carrara only render for the competition 

th3Digit said:

video

buildings 

Looking great Wendy !!!!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

Updated the thread in Art Studio with works of Headwax, LightofHeaven and Wendy.

This is looking better and better! Congrats to all !yes

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

Just popping by. So much college homework...

::gasp:: I have a life???

Playtime this weekend

Just popping by. So much college homework...

::gasp:: I have a life???

Playtime this weekend

Keep the college work up - you will need it for the real world !!!!

Update from me for my Burke & Wills.

Came up with a combination of Toon & ToonPro that I liked, may have another go on the terrain with ToonPro.

Raw render out of Carrara.

Postwork with Topaz Impression.

Combination of renders in Paint Shop Pro.

Final output including feathering the edges of sand in PSP.

edited March 2021

edited September 2018

awe poor Camel crying  they probably ate it before they died outback

great render yes 

I have done my final possibly, am going to do a lot more in my video not for this competition inc a FLUIDOS tidal wave

used

DCG Terrain tools surf

DCG Shoestring supermixer

I rendered it in Octane 3 for Carrara and used volumetric clouds for the light beams

Colonising Atlantis.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 615K
    Selina said:

That's wonderful Bunyip02, can I make a suggestion?

Yes! OK; here goes... instead of blurring the edges of the sand as you have, why not use DCG Anything Goos and break up the edge with noise to mimick individual clumps of sand?

Selina

Now you tell me !!!! Thanks for the advice Selina as it sounds like a very nice option, but I am still to try Anything Goos - is definately on my to-do list, if I get time I will see what I can do with it !!!!

th3Digit said:

awe poor Camel crying  they probably ate it before they died outback

great render yes 

I have done my final possibly, am going to do a lot more in my video not for this competition inc a FLUIDOS tidal wave

used

DCG Terrain tools surf

DCG Shoestring supermixer

I rendered it in Octane 3 for Carrara and used volumetric clouds for the light beams

Thanks Wendy. Your render looks excellent as well, looking forward to your final video !!!

edited September 2018

Next scene for the challenge - 78 years.

https://aerospaceengineeringblog.com/from-wright-flyer-to-space-shuttle/

Have just set up the basics for the scene, next up to play with some DCG goodies....

78 Years - 1.png
    1923 x 1037 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2018

Wendy - that is a very cool video.  Will be a great entry as is.  Can't wait to see the later video version with a tidal wave.  I've done some Fluidos experiments on landscapes converted to vertex objects.  Good results but the testing times can get pretty high. If you have some tips for streamlining the workflow during setup and calculation (not render), would love to read them.

Bunyip - Your 78 years scene made me think how amazing it was to have first powered flight to landing on the moon within a handful of decades.  ---Stream of cosciousness post continues--- Comet TV is showing Space 1999 reruns.  So, the future is now 20 years ago!  ---stream of consciousness continues--- Maybe the beach plugin that Wendy is using for Atlantis could also do where a hill terrain objects meets sand instead of water.  Not worth checking now but something to think about for the future.  ---stream of consciousness continues---Add some snow, change the camel to a horse, and could be the Donner Party.  surprise

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/ca-donnerparty/

Post edited by Diomede on

is there a way to lock things in place?

Also, Alberto... you could add this to your DCG tut list.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/276471/fresnel#latest

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

Also, Alberto... you could add this to your DCG tut list.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/276471/fresnel#latest

Thank you!, it's good.

Updated now.

edited March 2021