Integration of live-action footage and computer generated imagery.

edited December 2018 in Art Studio
These images are in jpg format but I render out png images that have alpha key from Daz Studio on my PC. I import the images into Final Cut Pro on my G5 if nothing more than color grading needs to be done with them. Otherwise, I import them into Adobe After Effects on the G5 if I want to mix live actors into the scene.

For instance I could walk from behind the cabinets to the sink and from the sink to in front of the table with my back to the camera or sitting at the end of the table facing the green television or sitting at the table facing the camera. The stool I sit on can be real in the scene or covered with green and swapped with a CG stool. I can put a real bowl of cereal on the table and eat the real cereal with a real spoon. I can lean on this CG table due to the real table being covered with a green cloth. Ditto the sink area where a box of cereal and the bowl sat before I bring them to the table.

I can move the camera in a parallax fashion giving more depth and I can rack focus putting emphasis on the subject. I can change the green of the screen on the television to be a photo or movie. Either I key out the green there or simply corner pin the movie over it.

HERE IS THE QUESTION

There are all these cool Sci-Fi Hand Gadgets by Nightshift3D for instance and by other vendors. Weapons even. Even a simple mop or broom, cup, ball, etc. I would like to pick up these objects and "appear" to be using them.

Any idea how I would do that? I don't have room in my small apartment to collect real props. Maybe I could get a few wooden dowls of various thickness and paint them green along with a few cardboard boxes painted green.

I can do motion tracking with markers on the green inside After Effects.

Thanks for any input or even an interesting link. I just don't seem to have my head wrapped around this yet.

composite.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 603K
SFCQ C1 IBL 04m18s T03.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 305K
SFCQ C1 IBL 09m04s T04.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 658K
SFCQ C1 IBL 14m08s T02.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 681K
Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on

Comments

• Will post some photos and links in this comment as I find out more how to do this.
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Quite a project I must say=) Are you planning to do animated stuff using this technique? Would LOVE to see something like that!

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Have an approximate green object you can track and overlay with the 3d render to composite. This is difficult depending on the shape; A sword or gun is easier than a irregular shaped object for instance, like maybe a pillow. Planning is key here.

• Imagine putting a live actor on Stonemason's SkyBike2 or PerspectX's 1969 Minibike or some of the other motorcycles available at Daz. Diego Piccinato made A VFX Demo Reel: Vancouver Film School (VFS).
  • edited January 2019
    CG monster on live footage using Carrara & Syntheyes by pscamm on YouTube.
  • Getting there. It'll be a while longer but I am reseaching still. Got green chromakey paint from Rosco to paint some basic objects as well. Almost a year has gone by since my original post... I am slow but it will stay with me.
    DSC_0204.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 609K
    Is this thing on.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • edited December 2019

Still working at it.

close your eyes and pray.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 346K
  • edited April 2020
    Saw this by Chris Hutchinson aka TheChristophalos on youtube. It is 1 min clip called Stranded. He was testing using some Daz props and greenscreen himself live with them. Enjoy.

• edited April 2020
    Jesse Griffith has been working on putting together a full length feature film called Cockpit: Rule of Engagement. He has been at it so far at least for twelve years or more. See if you recognize any of the Daz3D sets. This is a short clip, 11 minutes, back in 2012 to raise money in a Kickstarter campaign. It failed.

• edited April 2020
    Perseverance and funding the film himself to the tune of just under $50,000 US dollars, Jesse Griffith ran another funding campaign but this time using Indiegogo and raised over $7,000 to help complete his film above. He renamed it Demon Star. Production was wrapped and now it is in post for editing. It should be ready in 2021. This teaser on youtube is just under 4 minutes long. Enjoy.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

I could never figure out how to make it work without looking like a 1990s FMV game.

• edited April 2020
    vrba79 said:

I could never figure out how to make it work without looking like a 1990s FMV game.

Those 1990s full motion videos were low resolution at 640 x 480 or less. They were also tape so there was that crap quality too compared to a clean digital 640 x 480 of today.

Try again and post a link here to your upload on youtube.

• Screenshot_20191208-020222.jpg
    500 x 281 - 48K
    industrial-sector_730_auto.png
    730 x 410 - 430K
    Diner2500 UE C1 T2 14m41s.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794

very good yes

but

given your username do you only do nude greenscreen captures? blush

that could limit YouTube friendliness if going full body surprise

• very good yes

but

given your username do you only do nude greenscreen captures? blush

that could limit YouTube friendliness if going full body surprise

Hence, I don't do full body shots. The director yells out, "CUT... STUNTMAN!"

Wait a sec... I'm the director....

Screenshot_20191201-065419.png
    1920 x 1080 - 954K
    Diner2500 UE C3 T2 28m56s.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Diner2500 UE C3 CU T T2 24m31s.png
    1920 x 1080 - 589K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    Perseverance and funding the film himself to the tune of just under $50,000 US dollars, Jesse Griffith ran another funding campaign but this time using Indiegogo and raised over $7,000 to help complete his film above. He renamed it Demon Star. Production was wrapped and now it is in post for editing. It should be ready in 2021. This teaser on youtube is just under 4 minutes long. Enjoy.

For a micro budget production this teaser trailer looks great.

if only Bunnings hadn't wiped out all the competing hardware stores near me before the up and moved far away I would buy some green paint and do a wall myself ????

• if only Bunnings hadn't wiped out all the competing hardware stores near me before the up and moved far away I would buy some green paint and do a wall myself ????

Try green (or blue if your actor is wearing green) cardboard (about 1 1/2 x 2 feet each) and green masking tape from the office supply store near you. Where I am in Montreal, they only cost a dollar each. Would love to see what you do with it. Just light evenly and separately from the actor. Actor stand closer to camera away from green to make keying easier.

edited April 2020

if only Bunnings hadn't wiped out all the competing hardware stores near me before the up and moved far away I would buy some green paint and do a wall myself ????

Try green (or blue if your actor is wearing green) cardboard (about 1 1/2 x 2 feet each) and green masking tape from the office supply store near you. Where I am in Montreal, they only cost a dollar each. Would love to see what you do with it. Just light evenly and separately from the actor. Actor stand closer to camera away from green to make keying easier.

yeah even Officeworks (and an actual paint store near it) are 4 train stations away, not far normally but not happening with social distancing laws

Bunnings and the 2 hardware stores it out competed were walking distance, was really annoyed it moved, there is a further away one but easier to get to by train in the other direction too.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • edited April 2020

yeah even Officeworks (and an actual paint store near it) are 4 train stations away, not far normally but not happening with social distancing laws

Do they deliver? Do you have any green or blue bed sheets you can hang up?

edited April 2020

Do you have any green or blue bed sheets you can hang up?

I tried that last year

didn't work well

I even have a blue wall I tried

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Perseverance and funding the film himself to the tune of just under $50,000 US dollars, Jesse Griffith ran another funding campaign but this time using Indiegogo and raised over $7,000 to help complete his film above. He renamed it Demon Star. Production was wrapped and now it is in post for editing. It should be ready in 2021. This teaser on youtube is just under 4 minutes long. Enjoy.

For a micro budget production this teaser trailer looks great.

You are so right. What is probably not showing on the books is his perspiration. He is graphic artist on the Jimmy Kimmel Show in New York.

• if only Bunnings hadn't wiped out all the competing hardware stores near me before the up and moved far away I would buy some green paint and do a wall myself ????

Do you have any green or blue bed sheets you can hang up?

I tried that last year

didn't work well

I even have a blue wall I tried

No gloss just matte? Lighting is important. Must be even for easy keying. (easy... ha.)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,117

Backlighting the actor(s) also helps a lot. I made a blue screen several years ago by just buying a length of cloth from a fabric store and nailing it to my garage wall. I now have a proper green screen, which can be acquired quite affordably. 

• Gordig said:

Backlighting the actor(s) also helps a lot. I made a blue screen several years ago by just buying a length of cloth from a fabric store and nailing it to my garage wall. I now have a proper green screen, which can be acquired quite affordably. 

Exactly Gordig. Two or four lights on the green and then three point lighting on the subject. Some don't use the backlight / toplight because there is none in what is being used as background.

• PLANE - Бесконечный Полёт "Endless Flight" (2000) by Dmitry Petrov using Bryce 4 to animate the environment. It is 13 minutes long and in Russian with English CC. Exciting!

• KNEEL before Zod! or after Zod... Zod could kneel first if he wants... whatever you like... no pressure.

Paintbox said:

Have an approximate green object you can track and overlay with the 3d render to composite. This is difficult depending on the shape; A sword or gun is easier than a irregular shaped object for instance, like maybe a pillow. Planning is key here.

Sure enough, someone used a pillow to greenscreen general Zod's armor which is CG.

• edited May 2020
    The red dots near the edge of the image on either side of Superman are tracking markers.
    superman.jpg
    336 x 188 - 10K