Integration of live-action footage and computer generated imagery.

Comments

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited May 2020

Man, behind the scenes photos of that stuff never cease to make me chuckle.

I think its a credit to the actors, really. To be able take something so seriously, when its a box or a pillow or a tennis ball.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • edited May 2020
    If you have $300,000.00 to spare in your pocket, you too can make a direct to web sci fi series.

IQ-145 is a 2008 web-based series starring Thomas Dekker, the young male lead of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles." 

The series follows Nate Palmer, recruited by a secret organization to help search for his (famous inventor) father's last experiment. 

Shot almost entirely in front of green screen in hi-def, the near-future science fiction show is as stunningly beautiful as it is interesting. It sure got me hooked! 

Each week, a new episode to be posted on the cool IQ-145 Web site (which incredibly is free AND devoid of any advertising.) 

The Web may be the future of television, but I did not think anything like that could be available now. It's awesome!

IQ-145 is the brainchild of Billy Dickson, a DP/Director who has worked on "Babylon 5," "One Tree Hill," "Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers" and many other productions.

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • Episode 1 of IQ-145. Enjoy.
  • edited September 2020
    Thinking about how to put live humans into DAZ planes, trains, buses, subways and metros I found this talented artist who does similar with real trains and cars using Adobe After Effects which is what I like to work with for vfx compositing.

Oh and he does a quick tip on how to get the frizz on hair to be more visible.

Part 1 a little over 16 minute tutorial.

• Flomotion continues the tutorial with part 2 here. About 17 minutes. Enjoy.

• Flomotion made a tutorial on green screen of live human in car and changing the background and foreground in Adobe After Effects.
    This lets the actor concentrate on the dialogue while the magic happens after in post production. If you don't have a car or it is not the car you want in the scene, put yourself in a DAZ car.

This tutorial is about 30 minutes long. Enjoy.

• Speaking of cars, Brandon Fate does a tutorial on making his car fly! This guy is awesome. Plus there are four other tutorials in this 5 minute clip such as climbing through a television. It solved for me how to climb through a DAZ window. Enjoy.

• Here is a cute story about a guy and a girl who after a party, don't want to clean up. So they get into a competition where the loser has to clean up. I like how they green screened the actors into a helicopter cockpit and a tank cockpit. It's about 7 minutes long with quick tutorial in the end credits.

• edited November 2020
    Okay, maybe I live my life 24/7/365 barefoot up to my soul but wearing a space suit or other costumes that are CG from DAZ seems possible with green screen.

They also mention using rotoscope so my next post here will be on tutorial by someone else who does rotoscoping in Adobe After Effects and makes it seem easy enough.

Only thing in this 4 minute clip by Fame Focus on YouTube is that I can't afford to build a full size scale model for Brad Pitt or any actor to interact with in my tiny apartment and sadly can't afford to buy an Arri camera, although those would be rented just for the production of a movie if it came to really needing that.

hqdefault.jpg
    480 x 360 - 27K
  • you can maybe wear green body paint and key in DAZ outfits that way too enlightened

• In this 8'38" tutorial by Nathaniel Dodson of Tutvid on YouTube, he shows how to Rotoscope in Adobe After Effects Creative Cloud. I don't know if it this easy on my older version of AE but I will have to check it out.

• edited March 2022
    Using Blender for video editing and green screen is like using Blackmagicdesign DaVinci Resolve (which requires a monster machine of a computer to work). Node based. Needless to say I don't use Blender or Resolve but damn this is facinating.

The tutorial is by Ian Hubert on YouTube.
  • you can maybe wear green body paint and key in DAZ outfits that way too enlightened

:)
  • edited March 2021
    Stargate Studios demo reel 2018

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Barefoot Upto My Soul said:

Stargate Studios demo reel 2018

...Strawberry Fields

Nothing is real...

Good to see you're posting again;)

• edited March 2021
    I deleted my comment in case of copyright infringement.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,856

played on a Mellotron 

• edited March 2021
    It looks like Rotobrush 2 is only available on the newer versions of Adobe Photoshop if you want to rotoscope. For those like me who are still using the CS version of PS, will just have to make due with the original Rotobrush. There are other good tools if your old version supports it. These are Magnetic Lasso, follow that up with the Bezier Lasso. The Magic Eraser with tolerance adjustment is another good way to delete a background.

The tutorial is by Vidmuze and is 21'30" long.

• Byron Lape did a few five to ten second animations with Daz in Blender. Here is the result where he added a live model with CGI.
  • Oblivion (2013) with Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman. I was watching other making of clips on Youtube of this movie but here is a 2 minute short of it from Universal Pictures. Unfortunately I can't do it that way but still am happy to work with green screen. How many items can you find on Daz from this movie. I purchased quite a few. Anyway, enjoy.
  • edited January 2022
    I never said Blender was hard to use. I thought that was completely implied. Inferred. Whatever. This is a 4' tutorial using your latest greatest iPad or iPhone, Blender and HitFilm Express from FXhome on Youtube.
  • The above two videos are out of my league. The work around for me and my old computer systems involve doing green screen and despill the green if need be. Or as they were talking about in the Oblivion clip, 'if they used a blue screen' there would be blue spill on the glass so I would have to despill that blue. But they didn't use blue screen in their virtual production. Rather they used a projection and the actors could see the environment they acting in instead of imagining it. The projection also made reflections on the glass in the room the way they would want. This reminds me not only of matte paintings on glass done back around in the 1960s for backgrounds, it reminds me of the rear screen projections done back then. I was making super 8 films in 1970s when I learned about this. Now for something similar but more cost effective would be a cityscape backdrop from Rosco. It could be lit from the front for daytime look and backlit for a night time look. The actor could look out the window and see the city or whatever photo is on the backdrop. Most cost effective for me though is using the renders made from items using Daz. It means the actor needs to use his / her imagination in front of that green. It helps if you are a kid at heart and remember playing make believe. In the post below, is a tutorial from Flomotion on compositing in Adobe After Effects. It is an excellent one that works with my ancient version of AE. In this one he shows how to work with perspective, keying out the green screen, matching black levels of different layers, color grading the scene from a background layer onto your subject, adjusting the blur of camera lens giving bokeh and not just blurring the background when trying to get depth of field. 17' 46".
  • edited January 2022
    David Sandberg, director of Shazam, says that the worst movie made is better than the greatest movie ever not made.

I had been so busy taking care of myself, my cats, two of whom were very sick these past couple of years. One passed away last year and the other passed this year. I have been desparately doing what I can to clean up my environment and declutter it. Going so far as to dispose of garbage along with anything that might be toxic in the apartment.

There were computer failures where I had to finally throw out laptops and parts such as power supply or motherboards. To be expected as they grew old or from overuse.

I will need to replace some things or repair some things to get them up and running again. Other things I can just forget about and revel in the space that was freed up. It is like I can breath again. Taking a deep breath, I think that Covid-19, although it is a savage virus, was a good thing to happen to this world. It got the medical community to get the f_ck off their assets and create a vaccine that has partially helped me with my lungs and stop (almost) the cough that has been exhausting me. The first shot was like a miracle, the second shot not as effective. Perhaps the third shot I will be getting this coming week will squash the cough if I could convince the nurse to give me the Moderna instead of the previous two that were Pfizer. I lost some teeth taking sugar candies and syrups that the pharmacist recommended for several years, to help me deal with the cough before that. The only way I could get anti biotic treatments was to have teeth removed. Their is a five year waiting list for family doctors where I am. I don't trust them anyway. Anti-biotics have been abused by the population that they have become ineffective as a treatment for other people. Doctors don't prescribe them so easily anymore. For me, the two courses of doses of antibiotics helped me to breath again as well. I think one more dose of eight days should help me but it means going to the dentist to have another rotten tooth removed. It would be best if I took advantage of the lull in reduced coughing started to exercise again to get my lungs working at a larger capacity so I could breath deep without coughing. It is such a pleasure to breath deep and not cough.

Where did I get this cough? Well, in the hospital in the early 2000s during illnesses others were getting such as SARS and C-Deficil and Ebola and the birdshit flu virus, and madcow disease, and and and. Do yourself a favor, stay out of the hospital.

I didn't want to tell a story for the longest time or did not want to tell certain stories about certain people who should not be remembered. That and previous writers' block kept me from my scriptwriting. Then the exhaustion compounded the problem. Again, David Sandberg helped me by saying "Make movies, not excuses".

The below three minute clip on YouTube is from Pixar in a Box that is from a series of movie making the CGI way. This particular one is Introduction to storytelling.

• edited January 2022
    This clip is from David Sandberg on YouTube. It is called The Drawing Box and is 4' 31" time. The ending is just so good! He made this by himself and starred in it by himself. He used Adobe Premiere to do the editing along with the VFX of cloning himself. Pandemic or no pandemic and social isolation or mental illness, nothing will stop him from making a movie. Enjoy.

Moderator, if you need to delete this posting or the link to the video, I understand and you have my consent.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,360

I agree,  follow your passions and don't make excuses. We live one life,  the direction it takes is decided by each one of us. Creating is not easy  but it is certainly liberating.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,856

well that was different 

something similar production wise

• well that was different 

something similar production wise

Oh Wendy, that was beautiful! He cloned himself into a quartet. Compare that to this group, The Tenors, that did a version of Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen for the Highlander series. I miss my cat Pawlly so much who I let the vet put to sleep in January this year. I am still struggling with her being sick and that she wanted to live, she didn't want to die. She was the queen of my cats.

• I agree,  follow your passions and don't make excuses. We live one life,  the direction it takes is decided by each one of us. Creating is not easy  but it is certainly liberating.

Thank you for the kind words. You've been a good friend.
  • Some teenagers in Nigeria using an Android phone with a cracked screen made a short film called Chase. Their YouTube name is The Critics Company. Above is a 1' VFX of how they did it. The one below it is the 5' film itself.
  • edited March 2022
    J.J. Abrams was impressed enough after they became note worthy in the African News, that he sent them some equipment to help them along. Above is the 90" VFX breakdown of how they made a movie called Timothee. Below is the 15' movie. Now is the lightbulb turning on in my head to the original question in my thread?