Integration of live-action footage and computer generated imagery.

124»

Comments

• edited April 2022
    Steve Ramsden from Unexplored Films on YouTube has this wonderful tutorial where he is walking on a treadmill that you don't even have to paint green because it is a MS or CU in front of a green screen. Your camera stays in focus and no need to adjust the lights or have anyone follow around with the screen. He composites it with a whole bunch of PNG images in After Effects. Sets them all as 3D layers so they can be placed at depths as though in a stage play. Adds a camera to adjust settings and adds an adjustment layer for colour. 9'33" length.
    Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • edited April 2022
    David Bergman of Adorama on YouTube shows you how to use an 18% gray card to get perfect exposures every single time. 2'17" tutorial. If you want great color in your images, you have to understand how to control your camera's white balance. In this episode, Mark Wallace of Adorama on YouTube demonstrates how to set the white balance. Mark begins by explaining what color temperature is and how that relates to white balance. Next, Mark demonstrates the differences between auto white balance, custom color temperature, and a custom white balance. 16'38" long tutorial.
  • William Landgren is a teenager from Sweden who made a couple of short cgi films in Blender and a few other programs. One of these shorts is called The Drink. It is 2'23" long. Enjoy. His YouTube webpage has lots of tutorials one might find helpful. This is an interview of him on his journey creating this. 2h2' long.
  • edited September 2022
    Are we alone in space? This one Untersucht von Aliens (Investigated by Aliens) by Lex Lestig on YouTube My Experiences on the Operating Table is 41" in duration in German. Enjoy. Seriously under rated channel. Here is a ZZ Top tribute he did.
  • I am enjoying Lex Lestig's skits. Here is another short one in space. His whole channel is fun to watch.
  • How they do small talk in sci-fi movies. It is by LikeAFoxStudios on YouTube.
  • Okay, this one is not CG but the writing and delivery are just excellent. The only caveat is you have to be under 18 years old to watch this. 4'15" long and guaranteed to make you laugh which these days, I for one really needed to do. The Mysterious Case of Who Sh*t My Pants by Wizards With Guns on YouTube.
  • Secret Password by LikeAFoxStudios on YouTube.
  • edited October 2022
    Hey so I hope the feature movie is going well. I am posting a link here to a Carrara Daz user named Dartanbeck that I hope you will find interesting and useful. It is his journey in filmmaking with CG. Read from page 7 on down and if you want, read from page 1. Let me know in an email if you need anymore help or other questions okay guys?

So this whole journey - endeavoring to create some CG Movie Episodes - something that I'd be interested in watching, has taken me on a much longer and larger trip than I'd ever have imagined.

Probably because I come from a very small, quite protected from the rest of the world sort of village area, I never really knew a thing about making movies. I just knew I wanted to make them.

After getting well acquainted with Carrara and having some fun making my little test movie with Vegas Movie Studio I thought I was something special. So I just proceeded to work on making my Carrara skills more in tune with what I wanted to do - especially with animation, lighting and texturing.

Along comes this online education course from Norwich University of the Arts on Visual Effects. Someone urged me to take it. "What?" I though to myself, "I don't need VFX, I can do all of my effects directly in the render", I told myself and others.

Still, I signed up and took the course.

Not only did I learn a Lot about "Why I need to Learn VFX", but also a lot about filmmaking in general. Well... and I also learned a lot about actually doing VFX, even though I'm still consodering myself a totally green noob!

So when I went missing for that while, that's one of the things I did was to study VFX (when I could) and dip my toes into the software.

The class I took taught us using HitFilm Express (Express is the free version of the software) so that we were all learning on the same application, but we were also allowed to use the software of our choice if we ever felt like it. So I did a few of my homework assignments using PD Howler, which I really have a fond liking of using. Learning HitFilm was a blast, though, and so I keep that app installed and updated.

Since then I've been back with my nose to the grindstone still endeavoring to become a better 3D arist by my own guage. I never was trying to 'beat' anyone. I just want to like what I create.

Then there's the long story I wrote about earlier in this thread how I lost my Carrara computer and my ability to create. I won't dig through that again right now. But when I got back I was using a demo version of a rather bashed-together Rosie 5 test model. She didn't look that great, but I was learning a lot more about using that newer, yet still dated figure technology compared to what's available today.

You know what? I don't mind dated, especially when it's performing the way I need it to. Besides, Genesis 1 technology still blows me away with glee!!!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/410436/dartanbeck-s-journey-cg-filmmaking/p7
  • A new short music video by Lex Lestig on YouTube.
  • edited November 2022
    Creating a Shot for an Animatic with After Effects on YouTube by Wobbe Koning. Tutorial is 11'32". How to / show and tell video created for his Animation Production class at Montclair State University. The example is taken from the MetroCAF 2009 Opening animation, the artwork is by Anna Kania (now Leung). She drew the pictures and then scanned them in making layers that could be animated. So using these ideas above, without even drawing, one could take Daz renders in layers to make animations or animatics. Or, (my English teachers would freak if I started a sentence in their class with Or) if you are not good at drawing, you can import your render into your photoshop program and add a layer which you can trace over or use the find edges under the effects tab in menu.
  • Preparing a Shot for an Animatic in Photoshop by Wobbe Koning on YouTube. 6'55" tutorial. Taking a scanned storyboard image and preparing it to be imported in After Effects so it can be animated to be part of an animatic.
  • edited November 2022
    After Effects Tutorials for 2D Animation: Retro Celluloid Animation Look by Toniko Pantoja on YouTube. 24'15" long. The flatness painting is done in a different program.
  • edited November 2022
    Storyboard Animatic made in After Effects by Aaron M. Studios on YouTube 1'31" long. I like that he left the rule of thirds in this to show composition. Looks like fives layers of depth, six if you count the rule of thirds guide.
  • edited November 2022
    I'll write more about this later but it is late and I want to post his video from YouTube. Short tutorial on doing anime including drawings in photoshop, export psd and composite in After Effects.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,197

I may have some contributions for this thread soon.

• Gordig said:

I may have some contributions for this thread soon.

I look forward to seeing what you have on this. Same goes for anyone reading this thread. I have not been posting much due to brain fog and just reading the forums along with trying to learn all I can find in YouTube or Vimeo. I hope everybody is healthy through this pandemic and flu season. Seasons greetings everyone.
  • edited December 2022
    Season's Greetings everyone. Here is another wonderful short music video by Lex Lestig using Daz assets and mixing his family in with the green screen. 2'30" of fun, Frosty The Snowman parody on YouTube.
  • edited December 2022
    On Lex Lustig's other channel, he has some more wonderful music videos and skits. Some are in English and some are in German. He mixes Daz assets with live humans on green screen as usual. Here is his rendition of Dean Martin's Christmas Blues. Enjoy. This one is in German, called World of Tommy - Die grauen Zeiten sind vorbei
  • edited December 2022
    Ah! Amazing! If I had newer version of After Effects (but it would mean having to buy a more powerful computer with OS which I don't want to invest in right now), I can animate stiff hair and clothing on people or hanging on a clothes line. The flag too in on flag poles and so many other artists' assets can come to life in a fluid way. Just not with the old version of AE I have. WOW! Animate A Cartoon City using After Effects and Illustrator by Adobe. Or without Illustrator, dropping in Daz rendered PNGs with alpha background to layers in AE or Photoshop. It is an 11'17" tutorial by SonduckFilm on YouTube. He has a few of them. Stiff people in the form of 2D PNGs can be animated with the use of puppet pin tool. I don't have puppet pin tool because my AE is too old. Oh well. 7' In Photoshop and AE.
  • By Hirntot on YouTube 2060. VFX by Postbusters.
  • edited January 2023
    Green screen basics in HitFilm on YouTube by FXhome. Tutorial is 11'
  • Animatics in After Effects tutorial by ublik-om on YouTube. It is 13'10" long. This one includes timing your scenes based on working with your script, importing a temporary audio file, adding JPGs and PSDs. Lots of good tips along the way.
  • Another HitFilm green screen tutorial by TubeTape on YouTube. 9'25" duration.
  • En français in french, Hollywood techniques by Atom on YouTube. 10'10" His whole channel is worth browsing.
  • Teaser for his tutorial on YouTube by FloMotion.
  • edited March 17
    Flomotion full tutorial of above post. 9'40" on YouTube.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,197

Corridor Digital resurrected a long-lost technique for keying out backgrounds that is better than green/blue screen.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,360

Sodium Vapour Process  just wow!