Integration of live-action footage and computer generated imagery.

Comments

• edited March 2022
    Here the Nigerian teenagers almost answer my question as they used the back cover of a smart phone and put tracking marks with a marker on it. They forgot to do the blank underneath shot or what is called a clean plate to make the effect easy. Still, they managed to make the effect work by masking the smartphone cover and make it look like a futuristic phone with blue neon glow. It is 3' long. The 11' video they did below that was interesting.

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited March 2022

There's a YouTube channel I follow called "Owl Kitty" with some fantastic composite shots, where the cat's owner puts her in famous movie scenes, then does breakdown videos of the scenes.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • edited March 2022
    This tutorial comes close to what I want to do in picking up a 3D item. It uses masking the hand in Adobe Premiere Pro with feathering and motion tracking. I should be able to do this in Adobe After Effects on the Mac G5 without using the Mocha plug-in. It is 7' by Storysium on YouTube. It was just posted an hour ago! Below that is a tutorial he did using the 3D camera tracker in After Effects. So that would take care of my hand say picking up nothing and using the 'null' the tracker created. I can then link a CG item from Daz or whereever to the null by parenting. There is one more tutorial I will post below this to show what I am thinking before I get up off my duff and actually do something finally.
  • edited March 2022
    So this 8' tutorial by Brandon Fate on YouTube shows how to use After Effects and the Mocha plugin to mask three fingers bringing them forward of the item that is not there.
  • edited March 2022
    FEDOR Серов on YouTube finally showed up on my search. He posted these a year ago. Three short samples using Blender Eevee, Nuke and After Effects. With the ironman, he used a stick to hold.
  • edited March 2022
    PostBusters on YouTube has been a favorite of mine from way back when. They are located in Berlin and make music videos. He uses green screen and After Effects and photos downloaded which he gives vanishing effect in Photoshop. Doesn't work on my older version of PS though. Daz renders are photos so that was fine with me. The only thing is they have not used CG guns etc. but physical props so my search on how to hold a prop continued from a decade ago. I found them years ago with this tutorial on using markers and how to do tracking with the green screen when the camera moves. Below is a 5' tutorial. A longer 17' 28" detailed tutorial below.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,854

Hitfilm Express does the tracking and masks too for those interested in using that yes

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,360

These are great and informative videos,  thank you for posting them.

• This one by Ronnie Yeoh on YouTube is a BTS of an advert that was shot in Hong Kong.
  • edited March 2022

These are great and informative videos,  thank you for posting them.

Thank you. I was not that good a student in school to grasp what was being taught. At least on YouTube and Vimeo, I could learn a little here and a little there. When enough examples are shown, I begin to feel I am mastering the software and hardware, even if they are all old. I am sharing my search and research in case anyone can benefit.
  • Just wow! Composited in After Effects and CG was done in Blender. Below is the 21' 31" episode on YouTube by Ian Hubert.
  • edited March 2022
    Using Blade Runner environment as the background idea, a group of guys in Croatia got together to make a short movie that was released last year.

It is about a man who is doing what he can to buy a $100,000 ticket so he can move to the off world colonies.

They made this movie in a garage and fabricated real props along with miniatures. Although it was edited on a computer and sound mixing, music composing done on a computer, there was NO CGI. It was all done 1980s style. They ended up doing a crowd funding drive half way through in order to complete the movie. Raising $80,000. It took about four or five years to make this movie.

So don't feel bad if your DAZ animation does not measure up. Imagine what you could do if you had a team of Daz friends to help you animate and render, write and edit, audio record and compose, and everything that goes into making a movie. I am IMPRESSED with these guys and IMPRESSED with the Daz Animation Group(s).

Slice of Life trailer. Slice of Life 25' movie. Slice of Life 19' making of.

• SkyWatch (2019) by Colin Levy on YouTube. VFX done in Nuke and the 3D assets with animation done in Blender. What blows me away is picking up the mask which is CG. The whole 10' movie blew me away.
  • edited March 2022

Hitfilm Express does the tracking and masks too for those interested in using that yes

I had downloaded HitFilm for my Mac G5 or was it Windows XP but I did not install it and therefore didn't get the licence number from them. They moved on to newer versions that only install on newer operating systems and dropped support for the older ones I use. My computers are too old with older OSs to support their newer versions. That's the way it goes. Example of HitFilm result by Mikoko Entertainment.
  • edited March 2022
    Flomotion on YouTube has another wonderful tutorial on riding a CG and I am looking forward to how he holds the reins in another tutorial.

At 11:20 he shows how to stop the dinosaur from sliding on ice in the desert. It would help to render Victoria (her walks render like a giraffe on roller skates) or whoever as a separate layer with a walk cycle you can loop if need be. Make sure that layer has alpha background. The whole tutorial is excellent as usual.

• In french, Paul J. from France of The Simply Video on YouTube gives a good tutorial on setting up the green screen and then keying it out in Premiere Pro. Good tips.
  • Paintbox said:

Have an approximate green object you can track and overlay with the 3d render to composite. This is difficult depending on the shape; A sword or gun is easier than a irregular shaped object for instance, like maybe a pillow. Planning is key here.

From what I see is that either nothing needs to be in the hand or just a stick that can be masked. Does not need to be green. The hand itself would need to be tracked for 3D movement. The fingers would be copied to another layer and mask each one that should be brought forward of the CGI object. The tracking is copied to a null layer and the CGI is linked to the null. Below are two tutorials of lightsabers that are not CGI but this VFX can apply I suppose. I will need to try it out myself to make sure I grasp what is being taught. This would be done old rotoscope version 1 way and requires no plug-ins. Just tedious work.
    Screenshot_20220312-184420.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Screenshot_20220312-184613.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Screenshot_20220312-184646.png
    1920 x 1080 - 901K
  • edited March 2022
    10'42" tutorial by Anything Pixels on YouTube. Using the pen tool in Adobe After Effects to create a mask.
  • 19'05" tutorial by Praxis Visuals on YouTube. It is a little more involved due to another mask for the guy's head to be brought forward of the lightsaber weapon. Similar to the stick above. Lightsaber Effect in After Effects with NO PLUGINS.
  • edited March 2022
    FloMotion again with a short 1' example. This one from ten years ago blows me away. Just excellent! The two part tutorials below 10' and 9' have the human interacting with text. Substitute the text with a Daz prop for flipping, lifting and pushing.
  • edited March 2022
    vrba79 said:

Man, behind the scenes photos of that stuff never cease to make me chuckle.

I think its a credit to the actors, really. To be able take something so seriously, when its a box or a pillow or a tennis ball.

Those fuzzy yellow tennis balls are very versatile for sure. Not only do they keep actors warm on a cold and lonely winter night, they are good at helping the actor keep his eyeline with another actor that is not there yet. Yellow sticky Post It notes are good as a substitute if one has no balls. The ball also is used to keep the actor or anyone on the set from poking an eye out accidently with the pointy end of a light stand or c-stand. The ball can even be used as a prop when playing with oneself as shown the tutorial below. 22'49" tutorial by Motion Array Tutorials on YouTube.
  • edited March 2022
    1' preview of tutorial below. Flomotion again astounds me with another great tutorial on cloning himself and compositing the scene in After Effects. 23'33" includes many good tips.
  • It helps to know what I am editing and keeping the audio and visual recordings sorted. This is an excellent tutorial on slating. Mark Gray is a professor of Cinema at the University of Southern California. This 25' instruction on using the clapper board is one of the best that I have seen.
  • Efectos de croma y postproducción ViktorStudios 2'33" Instead of using a green or blue cardboard to chroma key the screen of the real laptop screen, he copied the video layer in After Effects and made that layer B&W, then applied threshold filter to it to mask the hands.
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,360

There are so many great techniques being offered by these lower budget productions. It really is a whole new level of guerilla film-making. Necessity and lack of money being the mother of invention.  Keep posting these I'm learning new stuff with each one. 

• edited April 2022
    Joel Haver on YouTube talks about film school, festivals, the industry and the way we have chosen to tell our stories now. You're Already a Filmmaker! 16' long but worth it. Well at least I have the lack of money down pat, no worries there. I must remember it is the story that matters. Telling a story around a camp fire while eating dinner with family and friends. The story of how we caught something to eat and made it back to share with the others. How we evaded those who wanted to take our food away from us. We beat hunger for another day.
  • This one sparked in my mind of this 15' tutorial given in Spanish from Spain, by Felinu Academy on YouTube. In After Effects, at about 3:15 into it, he shows how he goes about tracking his finger and then attach an object to that. There is also another tracking at the end of the tutorial along with chroma key. Sumérgete en el mundo de los efectos especiales de la forma más fácil y simple. En este video he querido aportar mi pequeño granito de arena para que puedas crear aquello que se te pase por la cabeza gracias a las infinitas posibilidades que tiene el mundo del TRACK sumado a un CHROMA KEY
  • I wish there was a way to dumb this down so that I could learn to do this in just After Effects. I know there is 'Turbulance' vfx in AE. The tutorial below is way too complicated for me. So freaking cool though. On YouTube by Ignace Aleya 15'. Maybe a combination of Jake in Motion 5' tutorial on Turbulance in After Effects on YouTube... and Flomotion tutorial masking out the wheels of a car in this tutorial on YouTube. 15'40"
  • edited April 2022
    The three prequels to Blade Runner 2049. The first one is cartoon, almost animatic. The second one is live and is the same as the one I posted above (Jared Leto) without the intro from the director. The last five minutes is the third. 24' for the three in one on YouTube.
  • I had been thinking of a way to do story boarding, previz or animatics for my film whether cartoon or live mixed with CG. Option of converting the Live recording to cartoon as well. Maybe even comics if that is what would get my thoughts into graphics on the web.

Could be done in Final Cut Pro or After Effects or Photoshop. Could be using 'Find Edges' or 'Line Art' or add 'Gaussien Blur' if I want to soften it for that pencil and smudge look. Alternatively, could use the sharpen filter if I want hard edges.

The JPG image I attached was a composite of nine or ten separate PNG renders in Daz with 3Delight. I realize I could also do these with LuxRender too or simply a 'Print Screen' for no wait rendering, just paste into Photoshop.

The advantage for me rendering a PNG is less render time and that there is an immediate Alpha Channel. Otherwise I have to spend some time in Photoshop or After Effects masking the objects with the pen tool.

The other advantage is that I can animate these separate PNG images, even being able to create a parallax effect, or rack focus too if I want. Separate PNG images let me walk in front of and behind the objects.

Just need to remember to KISS. Keep it simple and straight forward. I just need to remember that telling a story is what this is all about.

Urban SciFi C1 T2 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 549K