Curvy 3d 3.0 - Any Experience With It / Opinions?

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

Thanks folks.
    What have you two created? :) We're waiting to see screenshots of your masterpieces!

• simoncvysimoncvy Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Glad to hear the serials have appeared, apologies for the delay.

The mfc71.dll issue is quite rare and easily fixed. It is a standard Windows file that was not included in some versions of Windows.

I use Curvy in XP, Vista, 7 32 and 64 bit no problems.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited October 2013

My first make - a pot!!:lol:

Couldn't find a suitable texture but this will do for now.

Textures need to be sorted out as they don't come in at the same size.

Rendered in Daz

pot.png
    600 x 776 - 204K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

hermana5 said:
    Is it possible that after you have created something in Curvy 3d it can then be brought into DAZ studio and then use the shaders from daz?

yes - Curvy with DS shader

01_Curvy_with_DS_shader.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 118K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Noticed this program.

So a few questions:

1) I see that maps are exported as BMP's ... are there other image formats to export like JPG or PNG?

2) Does the OBJ export export as poly's or tris?

3) Can one set up surfaces in your program along with the UV or just a basic UV creation option?

4) If Curvy takes off for DS users would be cool to have it in DS as a plugin.

Thanks!

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Just downloaded the 30day trial just to have a dabble, also just looked at the curvy3d forum just to see what peeps are doing with it.
    From what I've seen I may end up getting this.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,877
    edited December 1969

simoncvy said:
    @Taozen I'd usually make toes/fingers by sculpting them as separate objects then using Weld as a last step to join them to the foot/hand.

Using File/Save will only save the selected texture - ie: The current object & with a little paintbrush symbol on the UI. The easiest way to save all textures is just to save the scene. Any modified textures will be saved alongside your 'cvy' file as BMPs.

N.B. If you used "Surface Paint" instead of "Texture Paint" the colours will be saved in the vertices rather than on a texture map. While that is convenient for painting inside Curvy, you should paint textures if you aim to export elsewhere.

Will try that, thanks! I'm glad there's a good help file included otherwise some of the features would be hard to figure out I think.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited October 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Noticed this program.

So a few questions:

1) I see that maps are exported as BMP's ... are there other image formats to export like JPG or PNG?

2) Does the OBJ export export as poly's or tris?

3) Can one set up surfaces in your program along with the UV or just a basic UV creation option?

4) If Curvy takes off for DS users would be cool to have it in DS as a plugin.

Thanks!

...looking at bigh's example above I would first say it's polys, however on closer examination I do see some tris along the upper beveled edge.

I'm wondering if you can take models into the CCTs and rig them.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

It's tris not polys.

edited October 2013

...so much for using Sub_D then.

Guess it's back to unstable old Hexagon and trying to decode the Blender UI.

edited December 1969

I used Sub D on my pot.

edited October 2013

I just got time to install it (gotten no further) Thought people would like to see what greets you upon installation. Way cool!
    Now where's THE best video to view to get me started? Haven't clue 1 on what to do.

Edit: Here's the link from inside the program- the "help" sent me here:
    http://www.curvy3d.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

curvy1OpenPage.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I used Sub D on my pot.

...from what I have read, Sub_D doesn't particularly like Tris. I used it once on a model that had both polys and tris and all the sections built with tris distorted.
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

DAZ just released an extra $5 coupon so that was the final motivation for me to purchase this!
    Looking forward to installing and find out what I can do.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I used Sub D on my pot.

so did I on the one I posted .

edited December 1969

I found my serial under the serial tab in my DAZ account.

edited December 1969

Not the best, just messing. Wish I could straighten the cone, but I've lost the curve.

cone.jpg
    1058 x 985 - 121K
    edited October 2013

Messing around and love it so far.
    When I've created something decent I'll share it here :)

EDIT
    Is there a dial window where I can typ in the degree of an item rotation?

Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 1969

Anyone who bought this anytime today should file a support ticket and tell them you want $5 deducted off it. They will do it because otherwise, you can cancel your order and just rebuy it with the code. They are good about crediting you because they don't want a bunch of cancellations/rebuys. But you should do it now while the code is up.

• MediaheadMediahead Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Can anyone compare it to Sculptris?

edited December 1969

Ladies and gentlemen, my very first 3D object I ever created: it's a flag, woohoo!

reality_scene.png
    1124 x 898 - 1M
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

This looks like a good product. If anyone hasn't seen it already Curvy has a pretty good manual: http://www.curvy3d.com/docs3.0/index.html If I could draw I would snap this up but alas I can't even draw stick figures.

edited December 1969

Yha-hoo, get the flags out, oh! You already have. Hehe.
    I remember those, they were stuck into my sandwiches when I was a kid. Hehe.

For the price difference I think I'll wait until 3Dcoat V4 has a sale. Just missed the last one on Steam, will have to wait until Christmas for the next sale. Only problem is that its the education version and hence has restrictions.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,877
    edited December 1969

I'm having a strange problem with it - my mouse pointer is chopping (not much, but noticeable) if there's no object selected. As soon as I select an object, it's moving smoothly again. XP 32, 4 GB RAM.

BTW, any plans for a 64 bit version?

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Ladies and gentlemen, my very first 3D object I ever created: it's a flag, woohoo!

...that's better than I can do in Hexagon right now.

...and Blender...hmm...letsee...Alt+Ctrl+Shift+F3+∞^4...well that didn't work the way I thought was supposed to...

edited December 1969

From an unofficial video, I am getting all kinds of great information. I will post the rest of it in my art studio as time goes on, under one post. But here's from the last five minutes of a great video:

TIP: For example, if I had a cat with ears, if I draw a line(think of an arc) beyond the tip of those ears (not connecting) the ear will widen to the length of that arc. A fast, easy way to widen an area!

TIP: Right click on a curve and pull, and it will fine tune the edges!

Anikad- I'd recommend it just because here's a secret for non-drawers- you can use the "create a blob tool" and do this:
    Get tracing paper and trace the outline of your object. Let's say a cat.
    On the backside of the tracing paper, use a number two pencil and trace the outline. MAKE THICK LINES.
    Place the tracing paper on your screen, correct side up. Put it over the pane you will be using.
    Lightly rub. The pencil image will appear on your screen. And it easily comes off with screen cleaner.
    You now have the image and can just trace it. No drawing skills required.

If you can't find the right size for your cat, you just trace the large one, then on the inside of the cat, make parallel lines following the flow, and it will be smaller. Or vice versa, if it's too small you can just follow the outlines OUTSIDE the cat and make it bigger.

This is a fast easy way for people who don't draw.

edited October 2013

...hmm, I don't use a tablet because of my arthritis, so how hard would it be to use with a pointing device like a trackball? Don't do much if any 2D postwork/painting because of this as I cannot get variable pressure effects.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...hmm, I don't use a tablet because of my arthritis, so how hard would it be to use with a pointing device like a trackball? Don't do much if any 2D postwork/painting because of this as I cannot get variable pressure effects.

Kyoto- I am using a mouse and this is very quick to respond- the brush size is a slider, so is opacity. The painting tools are pretty straightforward. One cool thing- you select something called "Curvy Map" and use white, set the resolution to 10,000 and up the bitmap, and then anything you paint becomes like 3d icylces. When you select black, it makes indentations. Easy smeezy.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,326
    edited December 1969

I like this program very much. It is easy to start with, but takes time to get the good results.
    Anyway just 10 minutes of making in Curvy 3d hand like blob rendered in DS 4.6 Pro with DS shaders applied.
    Needs a lot more work to be usable.
    Does anybody knows, how to create UV map in Curvy 3d for the sculpts made in it?

hand03sc03pic15.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 293K
    hand03sc03pic14.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 247K
    edited October 2013

Hmmm, I see the undo, how do you RE-do?

EDIT: The first time I used the paint tool and the curvy map, no problem. Now whenever I have the item selected and make the first stroke (with the paint tool selected, the curvy map selected) my item crumples up. How do I fix that?

Post edited by Novica on