Curvy 3d 3.0 - Any Experience With It / Opinions?

124»

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Curvy space station

01_Curvy_space_station.jpg
    597 x 400 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Curvy space station 2

01_Curvy_Space_Station_2.jpg
    600 x 399 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Curvy water jet bike

01_Curvy_water_jet_bike.jpg
    600 x 400 - 33K
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I've used it and the older version.

I like working with it more than Z-Brush.

The Dogwaffle integration was my main reason for purchasing it.

On the best3 site they have some free models and tutorials that highly recommend you look at.

The Curvy Forums also have a tutorial if I remember correctly that show how to model a dress for a 3D figure in Curvy.

The program is very easy to learn to use. The tutorial videos got me up to speed using it in a very short time. I was able to use it in less than an hour and could sculpt. I've had Z-Brush for a few years and still can't do stuff in it that I was able to do in Curvy right away.

Support for Curvy is excellent. When ever I've had a question about it I got a reply back in less than 24 hours.

It is in my opinion a five stars product.

• simoncvysimoncvy Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

@Vaskania re: License Restrictions
    I normally allow install of Curvy on both a desktop and a laptop PC, but I don't see why that shouldn't extend to a whole household.
    For schools one license covers 5 installed seats.

re: Demo
    The Curvy 3D 3.0 demo is fully functional and I'd be surprised if you weren't making useful models in the first few days, let alone a whole month.

re: Tablet/Mouse
    While Curvy works fastest with Tablet input, you can get the same results from a mouse. The input lines are smoothed and you can tweak the lines after drawing them with a variety of tools.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Tested 15 mn. Interresting program
    Just tried with the touchpad of my netbook. Will try later with my Wacom when I know the program better but that seems very intuitive.

First test exported and rendered in Blender with Cycles

curvy01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

simoncvy said:
    @Vaskania re: License Restrictions
    I normally allow install of Curvy on both a desktop and a laptop PC, but I don't see why that shouldn't extend to a whole household.
    For schools one license covers 5 installed seats.

re: Demo
    The Curvy 3D 3.0 demo is fully functional and I'd be surprised if you weren't making useful models in the first few days, let alone a whole month.

re: Tablet/Mouse
    While Curvy works fastest with Tablet input, you can get the same results from a mouse. The input lines are smoothed and you can tweak the lines after drawing them with a variety of tools.

Thanks!
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I made a dress (well half a dress) for Andy using Curvy loft and tweaked and fitted in poser with scale, opacity and morphing tools.

In Curvy... I found I needed to unclick the use pixel shader 3.0 in the View menu to see and work with my curves/mesh. (I think my graphics card is not as powerful as Curvy likes)..I wish I could set this once and it would remember it... I also prefer the 4 views but I always have to set the View options each time as I don't see how to save your workspace options in Curvy.

curvy_loft_a.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 181K
    ghostskirt_from_curvy_to_poser.jpg
    1294 x 822 - 473K
  • simoncvysimoncvy Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

@MrPoser There is a quick fix for the "Shader 3" and invisible objects issue - if you have bought Curvy:
    Curvy 3.0 Beta 3.2.1
    It detects your shaders automatically so you don't have to tick the menu item.

Saving the UI layout is on my wishlist for Curvy. Might be as simple as a option to save a snapshot of all the options, and reload them at startup.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    From an unofficial video,

Get tracing paper and trace the outline of your object. Let's say a cat.
    On the backside of the tracing paper, use a number two pencil and trace the outline. MAKE THICK LINES.
    Place the tracing paper on your screen, correct side up. Put it over the pane you will be using.
    Lightly rub. The pencil image will appear on your screen. And it easily comes off with screen cleaner.
    You now have the image and can just trace it. No drawing skills required.This is a fast easy way for people who don't draw.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

This handy utility might be a whole lot easier. Video demo also has the download link - it's FREE

http://vimeo.com/19583976

edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    Novica said:
    From an unofficial video,

Get tracing paper and trace the outline of your object. Let's say a cat.
    On the backside of the tracing paper, use a number two pencil and trace the outline. MAKE THICK LINES.
    Place the tracing paper on your screen, correct side up. Put it over the pane you will be using.
    Lightly rub. The pencil image will appear on your screen. And it easily comes off with screen cleaner.
    You now have the image and can just trace it. No drawing skills required.This is a fast easy way for people who don't draw.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

This handy utility might be a whole lot easier. Video demo also has the download link - it's FREE

http://vimeo.com/19583976

you can load pictures to trace over in the background now .

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,698
    edited January 2014

Curvy's website and forum is offline, anyone know what's up?

Never mind, it's all up again :)

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Curvy's website and forum is offline, anyone know what's up?

Never mind, it's all up again :)

Where is Curvy's website?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

Thank you, maybe their website can help me figure out how to use curvy.

edited December 1969

Thank you, maybe their website can help me figure out how to use curvy.

do the tutorials from the site .

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

On the Curvy Website if you go to the Forums you'll find an entire area devoted to tutorials.

Also check out the various curvy videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ytc3d/videos

They have other videos aside from just those that other users have done but the official ones will cover basic operations and have you using it in a very short amount of time.