Curvy 3d 3.0 - Any Experience With It / Opinions?

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2013

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but does anybody know if this works with a tablet? I can't draw with my mouse to save my life, but I do use a Wacom.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...hmm, I don't use a tablet because of my arthritis, so how hard would it be to use with a pointing device like a trackball? Don't do much if any 2D postwork/painting because of this as I cannot get variable pressure effects.

Kyoto- I am using a mouse and this is very quick to respond- the brush size is a slider, so is opacity. The painting tools are pretty straightforward. One cool thing- you select something called "Curvy Map" and use white, set the resolution to 10,000 and up the bitmap, and then anything you paint becomes like 3d icylces. When you select black, it makes indentations. Easy smeezy.
    ...well from what I have read here and seen it seems to be very intuitive, more so than even Hexagon. Just wondering if you can rig what you create with the CCTs or Poser's Setup Room.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Curvy Ship - took about 15 min. - render done in DS

01_Curvy_ship.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 265K
    edited December 1969

...very nice. I can see this being very useful for making special props you need for a scene.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Interesting. Thank to all. If the price hasn't gone up too much, I'll be buying this when the funding is available.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

Bigh, any idea why, when I select the paint tool and the curvy map (resolution 10000 as the video states) it totally crumples the image and goes haywire? It worked one time and then now just goes nuts.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Anyone who bought this anytime today should file a support ticket and tell them you want $5 deducted off it. They will do it because otherwise, you can cancel your order and just rebuy it with the code. They are good about crediting you because they don't want a bunch of cancellations/rebuys. But you should do it now while the code is up.

Done and I hope it works :P I had heard about the code but like a dumbass didn't think to check the site but looked through my email because I was rushing to work XD

edited December 1969

I always check the rotating banner under Shop>NEW RELEASES because sometimes the Hot Promotions page doesnt have the same banners/information. If you ever want to find a code that is for everyone, New Releases is where to look. But I know what you mean, I've forgotten to do codes before, without having a good excuse like you did. Nothing dumb about rushing to work :)

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I haven't read this entire thread yet, but does anybody know if this works with a tablet? I can't draw with my mouse to save my life, but I do use a Wacom.

Vaskania, I'll test it for you. Thought someone would answer this by now. My sons have a wacom cintique (hope I spelled that right) Back in a bit.

edited October 2013

It works very well with the tablet. Easy smeezy.

EDIT: DONE IN WACOM TABLET: Here's showing you a dead tree so you can see how much detail you can do (so far as drawing.) The second image shows it with bevel. (Newbies, use bevel to flatten out and smooth out the surface.) Depth will pull it out, like the couch demonstration shows you in the link Anikad provided.

curvytreeTablet.jpg
    1192 x 1635 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    It works very well with the tablet. Easy smeezy.

EDIT: DONE IN WACOM TABLET: Here's showing you a dead tree so you can see how much detail you can do (so far as drawing.) The second image shows it with bevel. (Newbies, use bevel to flatten out and smooth out the surface.) Depth will pull it out, like the couch demonstration shows you in the link Anikad provided.

Thanks!
    Saw this just in time too before the store changes the price on it. :)
  • MediaheadMediahead Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

As per my previous posting, anyone have the experience with Sculptris and how Curvy compares...?

Thx

edited December 1969

You're welcome. I thought about that- it's 9 minutes till 1am here, and prices will change at 1:13am to 1:15am my time.

I would encourage folks to give this a try and not be intimidated- I have NO experience and am wading through the tutorials and made a TON of mistakes but that means I can assist. I just learned, for example, how to keep your background while making the shapes so you can have it to sketch over.

There will be a bunch of us struggling to learn this, but will jump in to help I'm sure.
    I am still having trouble with my image totally crumpling when I go to the curvy map. Simon will have to explain how to debug that or what I am doing wrong- but it worked the first time. Not going to discourage me :)

People now have about 19 minutes before the price goes up.

edited October 2013

As per my previous posting, anyone have the experience with Sculptris and how Curvy compares...?

Thx

I'm trying to help you before the price goes up, I do not have sculptris- but this is what a blurb said when I googled sculptris vs curvy:
    (will post more as I find them by editing this post)

downloadsquad.switched.com/.../sculptris-is-insanely-cool-free-3d-mode...‎
    Jun 9, 2010 - digg_url = 'http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/06/09/sculptris-is-insanely- ... Hit Ctrl+N and it adds another pair of blobs (or just one, if you hold Shift). ... For a bit more flexibility try Curvy 3D too http://www.curvy3d.com.

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8415.html (second reply to the post)

Post edited by Novica on
  • simoncvysimoncvy Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

1) I see that maps are exported as BMP’s ... are there other image formats to export like JPG or PNG?
    BMP only for export, although it can load TGAs with alpha support, and JPGs

2) Does the OBJ export export as poly’s or tris?
    If you export straight from a Lathe,Line,Loft object you should get quads over most of the model. Once you start sculpting it reverts to tris.

3) Can one set up surfaces in your program along with the UV or just a basic UV creation option?

You can setup a few simple UV unwraps using the Texture Menu. They do just use a single texture per model.

4) If Curvy takes off for DS users would be cool to have it in DS as a plugin.
    I agree, that would be cool.

Crumpling with Curvy Maps
    When you paint on a Curvy map the strength of the effect comes from several factors: the Curvy map displacement scale (a slider next to the Curvy Map image on the material panel) has a big impact if you are sculpting an object only 0.01 big then a displacement of 1.00 will massively distort the model. Other factors are paint colour and brush size. if you use a paint colour close to 50% grey the effect is more subtle.
    I recommend right clicking on the displacement scale slider and entering 0.0 then slightly increasing until you have the desired depth of displacement.
    If none of this helps you might have discovered a bug and a screenshot would help fix it.

edited October 2013

...so I haven't seen anyone else reply on this yet, but can a model be rigged using the Content Creator Tools in Daz Studio or Poser's Setup Room?

Has anybody tried it yet?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2013

What are your license restrictions as far as children/household members? My teenage daughter has her own laptop and draws a hell of a lot more than I do and I think she'd get a kick out of this w/ her scanned in sketches. Would installing a 2nd copy of this w/ my serial onto her laptop be ok?

edited October 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so I haven't seen anyone else reply on this yet, but can a model be rigged using the Content Creator Tools in Daz Studio or Poser's Setup Room?

Has anybody tried it yet?

It would export as a standard OBJ, so I don't see why not. You would just have to create the bones/joints/weights yourself or transfer them from an existing figure and edit them.
    edited December 1969

...don't have 50$ to experiment with this on my own right now (though I did put Curvy 3D on the wishlist). This is why I threw the question out there to see if someone who knows how to rig has attempted it. Would be a huge plus if it could.

edited December 1969

Thanks Simon, will try adjusting the scale only slightly. Appreciate you monitoring the thread because I know how busy you are.
    Cathie

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...don't have 50$ to experiment with this on my own right now (though I did put Curvy 3D on the wishlist). This is why I threw the question out there to see if someone who knows how to rig has attempted it. Would be a huge plus if it could.

Kyoto- curvy3d site has a free 30 day trial http://curvy3d.com/

edited October 2013

...if it is as easy to learn as it appears that might work in this case.

in my experience usually a trial version is rarely gives enough time to get a decent feel for a programme (particularly complex ones like modo), or has a number of features turned off. In event event I have time as I will not be able to purchase it at the special price anyway (already up to 69$).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    DAZ just released an extra $5 coupon so that was the final motivation for me to purchase this!
    Looking forward to installing and find out what I can do.

To say that I was somewhat irritated to see that coupon released, mere minutes after I had purchased, is an understatement!

edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    Estroyer said:
    DAZ just released an extra $5 coupon so that was the final motivation for me to purchase this!

To say that I was somewhat irritated to see that coupon released, mere minutes after I had purchased, is an understatement!
    Did you file a support ticket? Since you could have canceled the order and repurchased using the code, you would have created more work and headaches for Britney- so file a support ticket asking for the lower price.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    acanthis said:
    Estroyer said:

Did you file a support ticket? Since you could have canceled the order and repurchased using the code, you would have created more work and headaches for Britney- so file a support ticket asking for the lower price.

No, I didn't pursue it. I considered it, but I already had one SnailZEN ticket open about the Keycode issue. I ended up using the coupon on some other purchases anyway.

edited December 1969

Thx

they are just different - can't compare the two - apple or orange - pick one
    and yes I have used both .
    download the demo and see if it works for you .

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Thx

they are just different - can't compare the two - apple or orange - pick one
    and yes I have used both .
    download the demo and see if it works for you .

I should add - I am using the demo - you get to do it all .

edited December 1969

Curvy building - render done in DS

01_curvy_building_.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 83K
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,877
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...hmm, I don't use a tablet because of my arthritis, so how hard would it be to use with a pointing device like a trackball? Don't do much if any 2D postwork/painting because of this as I cannot get variable pressure effects.

I'm using a trackball (in general much better than a mouse IMO), and it works fine for most graphics and 3D work, including this program. Long lines (curved, straight or whatever) is a bit difficult to get right though - not sure if a mouse is better for this (years ago I've used one). So I use my tablet for these, which works quite well.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,877
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Works fine here, with a Trust tablet.