Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

The Dragula  lol.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited February 2021

Just learned that the teen bobbysoxer in Asphault Jungle was hired by Disney to film motion references for princess animations.  She was a reference for Cinderella and I think Sleeping Beauty.  

Actress was Helene Stanley.

And here is a clip of her role in Asphault Jungle.  The criminal planner, Doc, ruins his getaway because he delays to watch her dance to swng music on a jukebox in a soda jerk diner.

helene stanley.jpg
    810 x 960 - 130K
    helene stanley 2.jpg
    812 x 955 - 95K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2021

she is very pretty. muse. 

amazon prime has the asphalt jungle smiley

Post edited by Mistara on

film noir, not really a grayscale render.  more like shades of black than shades of gray

film noir, not really a grayscale render.  more like shades of black than shades of gray

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Mystiarra said:

"Film Noir" is a 48 Hour Film Contest genre (one of a couple of dozen).  I think a key element is a femme de fatale, but interestlingly, another genre is "Film de Femme", which they created for major female characters, but not necessarily criminals.  One of their caveats is that she does not have to kill anybody.

One of my favorite descriptions of the plot of a film noir is ' A dame with a past and a hero with no future."  See

https://filmnoir.art.blog/2009/09/03/the-first-rule-of-film-noir-a-dame-with-a-past-and-a-hero-with-no-future/

Then there is the whole camera angle / back lighting / shadow / visual style definition

i not kidding, i playing this 5 times a day.

total energy boost and puts me in a steam punk headspace every time.

all week i been watcing renegade with lorenzo lamas.  the music reminds me of firefly. 
    'i'm still free, cant take the sky from me, which isn't true, need good vision to see the sky.

lookin for my badlands headspace.  by badlands, they spend a lot of episode time in san diego.  
    love this theme music.  i used to think the badlands was north and south dakota.

edited March 2021

beautiful panaramic sweep

the shanghai noon movie

tee hee.  chon wang.  the way they say it sounds like john wayne

panaramic sweep starts at 5:57

choo chooooo

panaramic sweep shanghai noon2.JPG
    1280 x 680 - 2M
    panaramic sweep shanghai noon.JPG
    1280 x 680 - 157K
    Post edited by Mistara on

Mystiarra said:

beautiful panaramic sweep

the shanghai noon movie

panaramic sweep starts at 5:57

Excellent.  Reminds me of an alltime favorite scene from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid":

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

I recently watched A Bronx Tale again. So many wonderful city street at night shots. It inspires me to try night time rendering again. The Delicate balance between having enough light so you can see the contents of the frame but still make it look like night time is always a tricky challenge I find anyway.

Yes, my wife & I have been watching Netflix series from around the world (Scandinavia, South Korea, France) and noticing how the night shots can really set the location.  One example is "Call My Agent", a comedy set in Paris, a few night shots attached.  ("ASK" is the acronym for the talent agency setting of the series)

Sometimes I like night shots in animations, since it give me a way to highlight what's needed.  This 5 minute video (a 48 Hour animation) is about half at night:

Call My Agent 1.jpg
    1295 x 866 - 179K
    Call My Agent 2.jpg
    761 x 848 - 150K
    call-my-agent-eiffel-tower-isabel-huppert.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 83K

@Steve K - Wow a WW2 themed animation. You don't see many of those. At least that would be the first one I've come across. You did all that in 48 hours?? Incredible! Loved seeing the planes and the German uniforms in action.

Yes the first and third shot of the Paris Film demonstrate how much light (and effort) is involved in a night street scene. There is very little black/dark grey!

Thanks.  For me, an even better example of night video is the Scandinavian TV Series "The Bridge" (8.6 at IMDB).  A great example of "Nordic Noir", with many establishing shots of the grim cityscapes of Copenhagen, Denmark and Malmo, Sweden, which are connected by the title bridge over the strait between the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.  Its not in black & white like American Noir of the 50's, but it might as well be in many shots.  Trailer here:

Bridge 1.jpg
    850 x 457 - 55K
    Bridge 5.jpg
    1275 x 800 - 67K
    Bridge 8.jpg
    1327 x 813 - 95K

Yes - those are good examples of working with black or near black. Thanks for sharing. I'm in script writing mode this week, then I'm going to experiment with HDRIs in Carrara (not Octane - I've been using those a while in Octane), then I'll apply the HDRI knowledge to night scenes in combination with the point lighting defaults that come with the Luminance Carrara product. @Steve K - have you any animations you are working on right now?

Sci Fi Funk said:@Steve K - have you any animations you are working on right now?

Always laugh

I've always envisioned colonies on distant planets as an interesting setting, so I'm working on one using more recently purchased models, some of which are great.

Sort of an update of this one, although here "distant" in time ...:

@Steve K again you got through a lot of scenes for a 48 hr challenge. Best piece of animation was the spaceship blowing the trees / plants aside. Very convincing. Also the crows flying with a nice chocie of music worked well. Best scene was the skydome over the city. best lighting was the first landscape, best character lighting the first look at the undressed guy asleep. All just my opinion of course.

Had my vaccination today (Astrazeneca one), bit groggy but still picked up a few bits in todays sale, and wrote a little more script.

I'll keep an eye out for more of your work. Cheers mate.

Sci Fi Funk said:

All just my opinion of course.

You should be a judge for the 48 Hour contest (actually, the judges did like this one).

Had my vaccination today (Astrazeneca one), bit groggy but still picked up a few bits in todays sale, and wrote a little more script.

Congratulations.

I'll keep an eye out for more of your work. Cheers mate.

Thanks.

poetic justice endings yes  Resident Evil, lol

@Steve K Where are these 48 hour contests held then? On here?

Sci Fi Funk said:

@Steve K Where are these 48 hour contests held then? On here?

I believe you can find more information at this link  https://www.48hourfilm.com/home

but SteveK can correct if I've got the wrong one.

If you have access to IMDB TV, you can watch the ultimate classic scifi serial.

Flash Gordon played by the incomparable Buster Crabbe, Dale Arden by Jean Rogers, and Princess Aura by Priscilla Lawless.

They are using the title 'Spaceship to the Unnown.'  I point out the title because there are sequal serials with most of the same cast, and most people think of the title as Flash Gordon.

See https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061006/

IMDBtv also has the remake from the '80s.

flash gordon imdb tv.jpg
    665 x 427 - 77K

The 48 Hour Film contests are held in cities around the world, on weekends spread throughout the year.  Historically they have included live Friday evening kickoff meetings, Sunday evening dropoff meetings and screenings a few weeks later at a theater.  But during the Covid pandemic, many were held online.  There is a small "headquarters staff" (somewhere, I only hear from them online), and a contest "producer" in each city.  Animations are allowed, but there is also a separate animation contest, held yearly on one four day period worldwide, online only.

More here:

https://www.48hourfilm.com/home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/48_Hour_Film_Project

https://48hourfilm.com/en/animation/home

Here is the YouTube channel "48HFP CENTRAL" with entries, tips, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgMcERvceOG0iuvS6kfzB7w

My first 48 Hour contest was with a live action team in 2008, "Butt Glue Pictures" (its a real thing, look it up).  I was nominally the "writer" and "music guy", but that just meant I had the software to format the script and a lot of royalty free music.  Everybody chipped in to the story.  So I had a lot of time during the contest, and so did a "Making Of" video, about ten minutes giving a feel for what happens during a two day panic.  (Our team leader added some overlay titles to my video).

The Houston winner that year was "Rushin' ", still one of my favorite 48 Hour films.  You may recognize the male lead, he was a friend of the director who was acting in a soap opera at the time, and flew in for the weekend shoot to help his buddy.

@Steve K @Diomede Fantastic info! Sounds really good. I will watch with interest and give it my full attention, once I've recovered from the vaccine. I thought these things were to prevent the flu - ha ha. I will report back when viewed.

@Steve K I spent a little time today going through your back catalogue on youtube. Lots of variety in theme, and always interesting. 

On a side note does anyone cheer / go huh! (in a good way) when they see a model they bought in someone elses video? I do. It's like we are a club and the rites of passage are that you slip in known models here and there, kit bash here and there and ..... slip in an unedited M4 somewhere. That face gets everywhere!

Sci Fi Funk said:

@Steve K I spent a little time today going through your back catalogue on youtube. Lots of variety in theme, and always interesting. 

On a side note does anyone cheer / go huh! (in a good way) when they see a model they bought in someone elses video? I do. It's like we are a club and the rites of passage are that you slip in known models here and there, kit bash here and there and ..... slip in an unedited M4 somewhere. That face gets everywhere!

Thanks.  On the topic of models, I've said before that some models I've purchased are the inspiration for an animation.  E.g. that WWII animation "Special Agent Gestapo" was inspired by that huge Short Sunderland airplane and the maintenance addon.  Although I did have to do some animation in Poser to keep the nice lights ...

And I've told the story about Rod Serling, the creator and main writer for "The Twilight Zone" getting his mail one day.  A friend said he put the bulk on the table, but sat down and read carefully one brochure, offering for sale or rent a discontinued, full size jet airliner cockpit simulator.  He then called his aviation writer brother and asked questions about trans Atlantic flights getting caught in extreme winds, etc.  This eventually led to the episode "The Odyssey of Flight 33", with the brother getting some airline pilots to help with the very realistic dialogue.   It even inspired a graphic novelization:

https://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Odyssey-Flight-33/dp/0802797199/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

So ... read your junk mail ... if you get junk mail from people with interesting stuff.  

@Steve K On the subject of models inspiring animations - absolutely! Sometimes a model just stands out begging to be used - even if you hadn't thought about it before.

Also I look at a model and try to see how parts of it could fit into stories I have in mind. For example https://www.daz3d.com/harwood-house The first use I saw for that was to make the basement section a poker room den. Then I have another story where there is an ambitious man, so I need a big house, but I have other sets I wish to use for the internals, so it will be gutted and refitted accordingly. 

Probably your WW2 Special Agent is my fav so far, but that shot of a tropical Island at 0:38 in The Panic - wowsers! Was that created in Vue?

edited March 2021

48 HOUR FILMS

First - thanks for all the links, I followed them all, watched them and watched vairous entries on the youtube channel. My observations and questions then.

1. As a live event in one location, it seems like a great networking / social time. People of a like mind working together.

2. Having your final work shown in a local cinema is a great incentive!

3. The scriptwriter(s) in the team are the most important people! (Well you need to get on well as a team and have a good leadership). Great script = a chance at producing something entertaining, bad script = best you can do is shine a tu*d

4. Animations are more credible than the live films in my opinion because you are just asking too much for 48 hours (or as I understand it - 4 days elapsed), and most people can't act that well. With animations the expectation is lower, and they are "clever" - i.e. you can do something with the visuals to distract from the acting / entertain with the visuals.

5. Sadly most entries I saw were poor 2d entries. Also many were cheesy - not just saying this, but I genuinely prefered the two entries I've seen from @Steve K

QUESTIONS

1. So in the example given from 2008 the team were given a set of images and a line to use, but in the @Steve_K examples it was all generated on your computer wasn't it? So, surely those with a large runtime have a huge advantage?

2. Can you bring in models / clips you've used before? If not how is this monitored?

Anyway, overall a fascinating watch - thanks for sharing.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Sci Fi Funk said:

Probably your WW2 Special Agent is my fav so far, but that shot of a tropical Island at 0:38 in The Panic - wowsers! Was that created in Vue?

That was done in VUE, pretty much the only program I know that can create landscapes like that.  Unfortunately, subscription only now, but to me worth the $100/year (occasional) sale price.  As I mentioned, it now supports 12 core/24 thread AMD CPU's, so even animation is fairly doable in reasonable time.