Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2021

i loved this show when it on,  the landscapes and the music.

needs a nice hdr to light the landscape

looking back at it now, realizing its on the violent side.

Post edited by Mistara on

i loved that series they made of the Dresden files.  ony 12 episodes.

Firefly had 12 episodes.

when i like a tv show its like a kiss of deathkiss

mebbe i not so good a judge of what people want to see.

luv the tardis theme music

the space graphics a lil cheezy but i love it.

luv the bass line too

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233

I've been spending so much time setting up for simulations and animations that watching stuff has been taking a hind seat.

Recently, however, I've taken more of an interest in grabbing up some fresh inspiration. It was in my initial search for stuff that led me to find Star Trek - Picard (season one) and Star Trek - Discovery (seasons one and two), and was able to watch the first episode of each for free on Amazon Prime. Liking both, I bought all three seasons mentioned above.

After watching those, and feeling like Paramount isn't going to let any more season out for sale - instead forcing folks to get yet another subscription to their own Paramount +, I may just leave the Star Trek alone.

Heading bak into Prime, I decided to try a show that I've been ignoring since I became a Prime member - Hanna.

What? How did I allow myself to ignore this?!!!

As you all know, I'm into having a young, Female protagonist. She's been my star through this whole thing.

Hanna is such a character, and she's breathtakingly Awesome!!! Here's a review of Season 1 by IGN

one of my favorite movie openings

interesting camera angles in the ally.  misdirection.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Yup, funny stuff.  You might notice in the credits Harold Faltermeyer did the music, including this alltime great synth song, which I have (sort of) played on a Casio CZ101, long ago:

i luvv heart the OST from the BHC movies.  the heat is dn dn dn ON  

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

On screenwriting.  Highly recommended.

i wanted to see what 1960s gogo dancing looked like

i thought it was girls dancing in psychedelic cages.

Diomede said:

On screenwriting.  Highly recommended.

The Best Screenwriter - on YouTube

Very nice. Thanks for this!

edited May 2021

Along those same (screenwriter) lines, this one is really fun!

She's a professional  Hollywood screenwriter and has been tasked with writing a scene in 7 minutes according to mystery prompts. 

Emily Carmichael (Pacific Rim: Uprising, currently writing Jurassic World 3) talks us through her process as she makes dicisions and has been given:

• 7 minutes to write the First Draft
    • 5 minutes to write the Second Draft
    • 3 minutes to write the Third Draft

Let's she what she comes up with!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Just a bit of an Off Topic regarding screenwriting:

I am no screenwriter, let's get that out of the way first.

I see that a lot of people truly want to be Original and Unique with their stories, which really is great.

However, before dwelling to hard on being that (original), keep in mind that, unless we've seen and read Everything that there Is, period, we could spend years trying to be utterly unique, only to have the first critique come back as something like: "Oh... hmmm. I see how you blended 'this' and 'that' and just added a twist, but in a far less interesting way"

So rather than focusing on 'being unique/original', focus on what youi want to tell, and endeavor to be original in your writing, rather than making 'Originality' the thing that drives your writing.

Just a few cents from what I've been picking up from struggling writers.

I struggle when it comes to writing a narrative, so I draw or render ideas that might inspire my story into myself. As much as my idea feels unique to me, I'm not really bothered by whether it truly is or not - but rather, I just want it to work well.

I tend to agree that trying for complete originality is a tough goal.  I tend to use classic short stories as inspirations, as apparently do many more accomplished writers, judging by the comments below from Wikipedia and others,  A sample:

“An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”, Ambrose Bierce, (1890): Kurt Vonnegut famously wrote, “I consider anybody a twerp who hasn’t read the greatest American short story, which is “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge,” by Ambrose Bierce. It isn’t remotely political. It is a flawless example of American genius.

“The Monkey’s Paw”, W.W. Jacobs, 1902: “A great number of novels, stories, movies, plays and comics are variations or adaptations of the story, featuring similar plots built around wishes that go awry in macabre ways, occasionally with references to monkeys' paws or to the story itself.  The story is frequently parodied on television shows and in comic books."

“The Gift of the Magi”,  O. Henry, (1905):  According to Wikipedia, there have been 17 different film adaptations of O. Henry’s classic short story about a couple’s thwarted Christmas.

Franz Kafka, “The Metamorphosis” (1915):  It’s been parodied, referenced, and adapted many times in just about every format.

“The Killers”, Ernest Hemingway (1927)  Gave us not only two full length film adaptations and a Tarkovsky short but Tobias Wolff’s “Bullet in the Brain,” a very good story to learn from, if not for dialogue, then for story-making.

"It's a Good Life", Jerome Bixby, 1953. In 1970, the Science Fiction Writers of America selected it for The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, as one of the 20 best short stories in science fiction published prior to the Nebula Award. The story was adapted in 1961 into an episode of The Twilight Zone.

"Inconstant Moon", Larry Niven, 1971. The title refers to "O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon", a quote from the balcony scene in”Romeo and Juliet”.

"Cathedral", Raymond Carver, 1982.  It is the final story in Carver's collection Cathedral (1983). "Cathedral" is generally considered to be one of Carver's finest works, displaying both his expertise in crafting a minimalist story and also writing about a catharsis with such simple storylines. 

havent read any of those >.<

i grew up reading Anne McAfree and Marion Zimmer Bradley. 

n Jr High, i cut classes all the time to go to the library and read the paperbacks.  mostly of which i wasnt allowed to check out cuz of my age.  had to read them there in the library.  sat on the floor beween the stacks. 

Eragon was a cheap imitation of Anne's dragonrider bonds.

edited May 2021

Visual Story Writing : From Inception to Production (Digital Art Live) is a fun video course which details the fact that it's a very common practice to actually copy what others have done. We see that all the time at Daz through fan-art based products and renders.

This course explains that this is a great way to begin and even flourish - growing an audience with others who like the franchise. And that there are levels of then stepping out and away from this into more original ideas and stories. I'm glad I got it. 

Another part of the point that I was making is that, it can be incredibly easy for others to think that an entirely original idea actually is a copy, in their eyes, because they're familiar with something that is really quite similar.

I have a personal example of this in writing music:

In the 1990s, my lightning-fast guitarist at the time was teaching one of my friends guitar theory. That friend then came to me and said that, while he was learning to play, he wasn't being taught how to write. I went out and bought a bass guitar and wrote some grunge rock as I showed him my process. After a short while, he was taking what I was showing him and writing more unique lines to the guitar part without any help from anyone else.

We ended up forming our own little non-serious garage band and churned out 90 minutes of original rock music.

When we performed it for our friends, someone came up to me and said: "I love how you put a spin on White Zombie and called it your own", and I had never even heard of White Zombie at the time!

I'm once again back to watching my revered episodes of Star Wars - The Clone Wars as inspiration for timing out my own stories - getting the beats and pacing together. While doing so, I can't help but to be inspired to 'borrow' some of the things that happen in my own work in an entirely different manner! LOL

Mystiarra said:

havent read any of those >.<

They are certainly worth a read, should be easy to find.  I've experienced many of them in other formats - audio books, movies, etc., they typically work great.

remember TRON?laugh

Mystiarra said:

remember TRON?laugh

"Pixar chief creative officer John Lasseter, who was working for Disney Animation Studio at the time, was particularly enamored with Tron. Disney Animation Studio had minimal involvement in the film (although young animator Tim Burton worked on it), but Lasseter saw early test footage and was blown away. Lasseter has said that, 'without Tron there would be no Toy Story'.  ”

https://ohmy.disney.com/insider/2015/07/09/in-tron-we-trust/

edited May 2021

Mystiarra said:

remember TRON?laugh

Double post, blush

Post edited by Steve K on

I just watched Tron (original) not long ago. Good movie, and a great inspiration! Good Call!

Dartanbeck said:

I just watched Tron (original) not long ago. Good movie, and a great inspiration! Good Call!

An example of the impact, Particle Illusion (video special FX) has a set of Tron type emitters (presets), very well done.

I love Particle Illusion! Yeah... very cool presets! Even a few for Star Trek Transporter effects!

edited May 2021

I can't remember how many, but I combined several Particle Illusion presets and then tweaked them to make the 'summoning' effects in this gif, then combined them all into the render via Fusion

Note: The whole video playback is slowed to half its normal speed

edited May 2021

That was also a classic example of creating new shading domains in Carrara. 

In order to animate the glow of the portal, I could have made a video for the glow channel for only the inner bulbs of the model, but since they were just going to be lights, I selected them in the model room and assigned them to a new domain.

The map is cool for them - not just a straight color, so I still used that. But being in their own domain allowed me the freedom to simply glow them up and down and give them Aura. 

I simply use "ring" shaped Shape lights for their illumination.

I also added some effects to the Particle Illusion effects within Fusion

I just finished the finale episodes of the final season of The Clone Wars.

So well written! And it reminds me, once again, how incredibly well written the entire series has been. As George Lucas' final Star Wars chapter before selling to Disney, I still feel that The CLone Wars is some of his Finest Work Ever!

The depth of the characters from a written sense are accentuated by the incredible job of animating and rendering them to show emotion and life. 

A bridge between Episode II and Episode III movies, The Clone Wars goes deep into how incredible Anakin Skywalker, truly was before being completely turned - and also helps to show how the Jedi Order played into his turning as well - although I felt that those movies did a pretty decent job of that, this goes much deeper into his frustration of being pushed forward, yet held back and ignored at the same time. Very well played by the amazing Matt Lanter

The Clones are all given exceptional life and realism via the voice of Dee Bradley Baker, who plays each of them in their own, individual and memorable way. The Clones are amazing and it's cool to see a lot more of this whole struggle of being "Alive", yet only because of the needs of war.

Ahsoka Tano has truly become my favortie Jedi, played by the adorable Askley Eckstein. The way she learns through being the sidekick of The Chosen One is very well written, acted, animated and everything else. She's fearless and talented and has an attitude that fits the show perfectly!

James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan Kenobi is beautiful perfection. While he also does the perfect job of playing Jedi Master, Plo Koon, Kenobi is in the height of his Jedi excellence in this time - and it shows. Mentor, friend, brother and father to Anakin Skywalker - all in equal measure is very well executed in voice as well as animation - Obi-Wan Kenobi Rocks! His skills are out of this world as he takes on Evil around every corner!

The entire cast is magnificent! Director Dave Filoni blames this on the fact that he's lucky that so many great actors love Star Wars and were willing to be a part of it. Filoni is also dubbed as the new George Lucas, as the man himself has trained Dave as the new Star Wars Master of Movie Making. 

Check out this cool featurette on the Voice Actors of The Clone Wars (it's short, but Very Cool!)

I also love this one - a deconstruction of one of my favorite episodes, which is a massive battle returning to Geonosis

May the Fourth Be With You... Alwayth!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

and here's me watching Convoy on TUBI laugh

you got a copy on me Pig Pen c'mon.... 

...so we crashed the gate doin' ninety-eight, I said: "Let them Truckers roll... 10-4"