Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited December 1969

@Trish - looks French. The wine bottle in the window is a nice detail. After all, he's got his own wine in the cellar if the text in the window is true. This is a very nice setup. The pose of monsieur looks authentic. The shadow from the tree makes this scene looking quite real and could be in our main town. If you've got the time, use about 25% to 33% soft sun shadows.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

Horo: thanks I will give that a try...It sure is nice to know what it says on the window ...cool http://www.daz3d.com/cityscapes-buildings/le-village-bundle It is this set....comes with a lot of stuff .....I really like Faveral's things ...so far no problems bringing them to Bryce

Post edited by Trish on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Still in the grip of trying to achieve SSS in Bryce. I used this model http://www.daz3d.com/n1-interceptor Render time less than one hour at maximum rpp (256). Used one of our metals (Horo's and mines) materials for the ground.

Fuzzy6.jpg
    850 x 650 - 164K
    edited December 1969

@Trish - it's really a beautiful bundle. It's the Cellars of the King (Caves du Roy) and on the window it says wines of the owner, new deliveries, degustation (tasting of the wines) gratuitous. I really like this one, the longer I look at it.

@David - that came out great.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited January 2014

Just playing with David & Horo's metal set materials...

I don't know what it is, but it's interesting. :)

MetalThing.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 291K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

And here's a second one in the same fashion.
    I made the bowl myself out of 72 toruses or should that be tori?
    Geometry is fun.

MetalBowl.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 485K
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited January 2014

I like it so I recreated it. not with the same textures though.

untitled.57_.png
    1921 x 1330 - 2M
    untitled.56_.png
    1921 x 1330 - 3M
    untitled.54_.png
    1921 x 1330 - 4M
    Post edited by useroperator on
    edited January 2014

untitled.58_.png
    1921 x 1330 - 2M
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Thanks for the explanation. The fighter really looks good.

@Horo: I have that particular PDF, it's David's newest ones I'll have to jot down.

@Stuart: I've also run into that image posting problem a few times in the past. It had seemed to be working correctly, guess the web mites are at work again. And thanks for the attempt, give it another try another day.

@Trish: That's an awesome scene. You fixed your problem, but I was going to say it's a mapping problem since the back of the left arm can be seen and the front of the right arm can be seen. But...you fixed it and it looks great.

@Dave: The first image is the first model of the solar system, with the Earth at the center. Broken, of course. Your second image is also great looking. And geometry might be fun but only if you understand it.

@Rashad: Check your PM.

edited December 1969

if it's the first model of the solar system, someone should give it an update ;P

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited December 1969

David- The fighter looks great.

Trish- Wow an awesome scene.

Dave- Love your latest renders especially the 72 tori bowl

User.operator – Nice renders, I like the model too, wonder if I can make one too.

edited January 2014

More of the buildings from the set...the only thing I had to change is the glass material in the street lamps....soft shadows set to 4....
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments.....
    Guss: yes.. David nailed it for some reason when I changed the material from the long sleeve shirt to no sleeves and put it in Bryce the long sleeves came along also...
    Mermaid: not to worry Brandon gets away from the leopard...other wise how could I use him again ...all chewed up...LOL

street_meeting5.jpg
    1333 x 665 - 798K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Still in the grip of trying to achieve SSS in Bryce. I used this model http://www.daz3d.com/n1-interceptor Render time less than one hour at maximum rpp (256). Used one of our metals (Horo's and mines) materials for the ground.

Really impressive SSS effect David.. I hope you're going to post a video for this.

edited January 2014

The purple product has arrived...been calling it that so long I had forgotten the real name till I saw purple..... http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-hyper-textures-base

purple.jpg
    781 x 660 - 341K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - those thingies look great. Wow, 72 tori for that bowl.

@user.operator - looking great, too.

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: I have that particular PDF, it's David's newest ones I'll have to jot down.

That's the one where component 1 is copied into component 2 with multiply. Usually you have a none texture to flip the polarity. However, -1 x -1 = +1 so that's another method to reverse polarity from negative to positive. The output is, however, even higher.

@Trish - looking again really nice. Thanks for making us aware that the purple product is out.

edited January 2014

c-ram said:

Really impressive SSS effect David.. I hope you're going to post a video for this.

I will post specific videos relating to this technique. At the moment I am still in the experimental stage. It is coming together. If you want to keep pace with progress I have the following out already.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - simulating SSS basics - by David Brinnen
    Hypertexture driven ambient reflection mapping - by David Brinnen
    Hypertexture driven ambient reflection mapping and scattering - by David Brinnen

The Interceptor render was made with a mixture of these methods. I'm trying to get the best effect for the least render time. Which is my present area of research.

Trish, yes thanks for the heads up! And the free advertising!

Edit. Also had a go at Dave's thingy. Here you can see one of the limitations of using ambient reflection mapping on simpler geometries (sphere surface clearly lacks plausible reflection of outer torus).

Fuzzy7.jpg
    850 x 650 - 197K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:

I will post specific videos relating to this technique. At the moment I am still in the experimental stage. It is coming together. If you want to keep pace with progress I have the following out already.

Hypertexture driven ambient reflection mapping and scattering - by David Brinnen

The Interceptor render was made with a mixture of these methods. I'm trying to get the best effect for the least render time. Which is my present area of research.

All right David, keep on working! I've allready take a look at your related videos, very instructive. It'll be good if i could find application to this technics in a future landscape render.

edited January 2014

I do think something feels off about the reflections and shadows on the ring around the sphere. the reflections are fine, the shadow angle is fine, but the shadow and reflection together don't, not aesthetically, but real world physics wise.. can't quite put my finger on it. it just seems like there's too much light to actually cast such a discernible shadow, especially on a reflective surface that would also be getting light both from the reflective ground and the sky. I mean the shadow would be there, but it wouldn't be nowhere near as intense. like if you changed the material to a glossy white, the shadow would definitely be there and visible, but for a reflective surface, even with a bit of roughness....I don't know.

edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    c-ram said:

All right David, keep on working! I've allready take a look at your related videos, very instructive. It'll be good if i could find application to this technics in a future landscape render.

Hmn... can't think that there would be a lot of use for sss in a landscape, it does tend to me more of a small to human scale effect. Here's another little render experiment with this process. Render time about one hour.

Fuzzy8.jpg
    1112 x 850 - 317K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    c-ram said:

Hmn... can't think that there would be a lot of use for sss in a landscape, it does tend to me more of a small to human scale effect. Here's another little render experiment with this process. Render time about one hour.

Looks amazing, David. This latest example is very convincing. SSS is essential for landscapes as every single leaf on every single tree technically should have translucency at a minimum, but a full SSS isn't a bad idea either if one can muster up the render time. Very nice work David, as always!

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Wow - I can log-in again! Only took DAZ a couple of months to fix (LOL).
    Anyway, I've enjoyed all these images very much. Two thumbs up to all!
    As always David's and Horo's images/posts are so well done, very informative and always inspirational.
    Stuart's images are amazingly illuminated and staged - some of the most photo-realistic Bryce images I've seen (and often gave me a good chuckle).
    I've also enjoyed GussNemo's experiments and watching his progression in Bryce.

Here's two of my images. The Arbor image is one I did in Bryce 6 and updated all the lighting with Bryce 7.1 features (especially the new TA). Modeled in Modo with the plant objects from Lisa's Botanicals.
    The second image is a model from Groboto. The problem I've always had is Groboto exports are usually HUGE. I've recently figured out Modo's poly reduction functions and I was able to take the export from 5.1MB polys down to 500K with very little loss of quality. Object textured in Bryce, Normal AA but upped the ray depth to 16 and the TIR to 6.
    Thanks for looking!
    Dan

aztec_brooch.jpg
    800 x 800 - 353K
    arbor_13.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 378K
    edited January 2014

Its Christmas at my house.......A polar bear showed up....LOL.....Thanks Dave!!! many happy wishes for you and Peter!! Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Wow - I can log-in again! Only took DAZ a couple of months to fix (LOL).
    Anyway, I've enjoyed all these images very much. Two thumbs up to all!
    As always David's and Horo's images/posts are so well done, very informative and always inspirational.
    Stuart's images are amazingly illuminated and staged - some of the most photo-realistic Bryce images I've seen (and often gave me a good chuckle).
    I've also enjoyed GussNemo's experiments and watching his progression in Bryce.

Here's two of my images. The Arbor image is one I did in Bryce 6 and updated all the lighting with Bryce 7.1 features (especially the new TA). Modeled in Modo with the plant objects from Lisa's Botanicals.
    The second image is a model from Groboto. The problem I've always had is Groboto exports are usually HUGE. I've recently figured out Modo's poly reduction functions and I was able to take the export from 5.1MB polys down to 500K with very little loss of quality. Object textured in Bryce, Normal AA but upped the ray depth to 16 and the TIR to 6.
    Thanks for looking!
    Dan

That is a totally fascinating shape you have there Dan.

edited December 1969

@David - example look great. I'd like to see the face of a human character how good it emulates SSS.

@Dan - I've seen both renders in the gallery and thought these are typical Bryce renders that do not look at all like Bryce renders and I was right. Impressive artwork, both of them.

edited December 1969

@user.operator: Missed your latest renders, which look great.

@Horo: Thank you for the information.

@Trish: That's another lovely scene with the two lasses.

@David: Both of those images are great. I wouldn't have noticed the shadows had user not mentioned them, but one spar at 6 o'clock and one about 3 o'clock don't match the type shadow which is on the outer ring at both locations. Still, nice render.

@dan: The object in the top image is gorgeous, which the bottom scene is really neat.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2014

Dan...love the first work...simply gorgeous, and unusual - great 'clash' of colours.

On the 'log-in', don't know if it is usual, or a comfort, but lately, I'm having to log-in everytime I check Bryce (mentioned previously) - very annoying, though, for this user, anyway.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

Help! I can't keep up with all these posts. Don't you ever have to eat, sleep, work?
    Nevertheless, I saw lots of very nice SSS work again and a poor guy being jumped by a cat, brrr.

@dan whiteside: That is a great piece of jewelry!!

Here is my latest. Finally got to attempting the 'obscure lighting method'. Goes to show how very far behind I am with David Brinnen's videos. I am afraid that I'll never catch up!

Question with my render. How to get rid of the grainy effect (on the wall). I already used 256 rays per pixel and several lights (as you can see). Not that I find the grainy wall unattractive, but I might want to have a smoother surface some times. I did see David getting smoother surfaces, so I must do something wrong.

playanimal3.jpg
    695 x 695 - 532K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

Hold your horses! I forgot I had another quickie (probably more of a WIP).
    It is again a creature made from metaballs and just some spheres for eyes. Nothing special in rendering. Didn't take too long either. Will probably be part of a larger scene with my flying doggy and other metaballcreatures later.

Like to hear your view!

buggie.jpg
    695 x 695 - 186K
    edited December 1969

@hansmar: Have you tried lower MRD settings in the render setup? Or, higher settings? Love the creatures in both images, especially the one made using metaballs.

edited December 1969

@hansmar - I'm not sure how you employed Obscure Lighting. It doesn't work as expected in a room. Disable Cast Shadows for the room cube and see if it improves. The new insect-like creature looks cute.

This discussion has been closed.