Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Horo,
    I remember this render. I think the scene has a lot of fun in it. The lighting is clever as well. These interiors can be very challenging to illuminate. I find myself staring at the image for quite a while trying to be certain I haven't missed any of the zany behavior. I'd like to know more about how you rendered it and how you avoided lots of nasty shadow banding from the IBL as it enters the windows.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited January 2014

Horo-cool abstracts. I can relate to the addiction. love the alien scene

Electro-Elvis- cute objects. Couldn’t tell which is Wings and which is Bryce. Great scene. How do you guys make such awesome landscapes?

Fran-amazed at your work in Wings, very cute “SnowPea”

Guss – “live with” – wow the fountain is beautiful. I must try it too, but knowing me, I will need help too. Maybe Rashad will do a tutorial, ....hoping.

user.operator – cool shape and nice animation

Dave – the completed Amplifier looks awesome

David – informative videos for rendering trees. Hope to find time this week to work through some of your videos, watched them but did not try them yet.

Chohole – stunning poses, great render

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

just dropped in to let you know that Faverals store is 60% off......I got Hacienda Hermosa (this is huge) came into Bryce easy the only thing I changed was the water material.... http://www.daz3d.com/faveral

Darn you Trish. I just bought the medieval docks to go with the rest of the medieval buildings I have.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

chohole: just waiting for you to check in ......LOL.....I had to get Le Faubourg also.....

edited January 2014

chohole: just waiting for you to check in ......LOL.....I had to get Le Faubourg also.....

I am going to tell the blue helpy guy that it was you as told me, so I told him and he went shopping as well. :roll:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited December 1969

@David - the back-lit trees look quite nice here. Thank you for the source files. I'm started working on them - but got sidetracked by the trees on terrain.

@Pam - very nice render. I don't know the story but whatever it is, those power emanations are well done.

@hansmar - thank you. Your corner came out fine.

@electro-elvis - obviously, you've also got addicted to the trees on terrain. Yous looking great. Foreground trees fit nicely.

@Trish - thank you for the information about Faveral's store. If you knew how many products I've purchased lately and couldn't find the time to use them. Got Le Village and the Faubourg.

@Rashad - thank you! Light setup is rather simple. There are 3 radials in the visible lights above the window with 7% soft shadows. For the console, Tarzan and the purple liquid each a radial with square falloff, no shadows. Then, there is the sun at diffuse 200 and 10% soft shadows. Praise the saturation control in IBL, the scene isn't blue anymore. Quality 64, Saturation 60%, Intensity (for backdrop not tone-mapped) 62 and HDRI Effect also 62. Global shadow intensity is 100% (of course) but for IBL only 62%. This is one of the very rare moments when I employed Sky Dome, I set it to grey 127. It helped to equalize the shadows on the floor a bit without impairing the contrast.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

This is a great video and I couldn't help "wasting" my time with it. This is essentially according to the video, I just used two additional terrain sets and the Illhorn Skydome HDRI (see http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-islands-2-including-skydomes which gives the sky colour and the mountains in the far background; and I also used IB light to brighten up the shadows a bit - though no IBL shadows were used (it made no difference except increasing render time 8 fold). So this one renders as 1600 x 1200 in 4 minutes).
    Terr08d.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 349K
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

Still a work in progress... My city block , Still working to add some more variety to the buildings and the materials but I am starting to get the look I am wanting for this city. Any tips or advice would be great thanks. BTW I just used a standard sky and lighting for now.

cityblocka1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 414K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited December 1969

I must admit I am quite happy with David's method for tranparent leaves. The first picture is IMHO not too bad.

Afterwards I made a second test with a material I have found in my library. At the end of the render I realized it is Rashad's ZeroNothing approach. Hm, I must say, it looks good.

transparente_blaetter_testmalt.jpg
    600 x 600 - 59K
    transparente_blaetter_test3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 57K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Doesnt the fire require some degree of Ambience glow to look right? But if your sky ambience color is black, then your fire material will not glow. So you have to make a choice, either items that glow or TA based on the ambience channel as an input.

Rashad, one tip you missed (or have forgotten) from those debates back in the legacy days is to use volume materials for glowing objects. Not only will the objects appear bright and coloured in themselves (independent of the sky ambient), the TA will use their brightness and colour to illuminate the scene.

Although TA in Bryce 7 is better in almost every way, the legacy "system" (i.e. user discovered / developed workaround of semi-implemented beta feature) did allow for individual control per material, which was often useful.

And as I have delurked, I must take the opportunity to congratulate everyone on their superb works.

Hoping to get back into Bryce someday...

...lurk

:mrgreen:

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Miss one day and am three pages behind.

Landscapes displayed are great.

Thanks to all who commented on my fountain. I have been trying to refine the falling water but the more I try the worse it gets. From trying various things to improve the look of the falling water, I've discovered if the terrain isn't completely perpendicular to the ground it will cut unevenly. Hence the funny looking falling water in my posted image. I know, or believe I see, what needs done but can't figure out have to create it. Ummm...thinking about this last sentence has given me another something to try.

@Trish: Nice looking resort, or would be resort.

@nreed: Love those results, nice work.

Oh, and someone asked what "bonzo" was--can't remember when I said it. Bonzo means cool, neat, really sharp, a cats meow, spot on, etc. If something is bonzo it's really impressive.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    Doesnt the fire require some degree of Ambience glow to look right? But if your sky ambience color is black, then your fire material will not glow. So you have to make a choice, either items that glow or TA based on the ambience channel as an input.

Rashad, one tip you missed (or have forgotten) from those debates back in the legacy days is to use volume materials for glowing objects. Not only will the objects appear bright and coloured in themselves (independent of the sky ambient), the TA will use their brightness and colour to illuminate the scene.

Although TA in Bryce 7 is better in almost every way, the legacy "system" (i.e. user discovered / developed workaround of semi-implemented beta feature) did allow for individual control per material, which was often useful.

And as I have delurked, I must take the opportunity to congratulate everyone on their superb works.

Hoping to get back into Bryce someday...

...lurk

:mrgreen:

Ahh, yes yes. Thanks for the reminder. I indeed had forgotten about that method and I remember it was very effective.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited December 1969

Horo- the landscape is beautiful.

Nreed – the cityscape is looking nice. Are you doing all your modeling in Bryce.

Electro-elvis – the trees are great.

Managed to do one of David’s tutorial Wings 3D project - three strand torus knot - by David Brinnen

I tried some with more strands using GussNemo’s suggestion, but in vain. My grey cells don’t allow me to think further than 1+1=5 :roll:

The second render is an inspiration from Dave.

ship1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 36K
    3strandtorusknot.jpg
    600 x 600 - 39K
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited January 2014

@ mermaid, Yes I am using terrains and making the biuldings, this set is 2 different terrains and a third flat ground for the streets and grass.

This is my latest with a little more variety to the tall buildings. I am now working to improve the "urban area" and tweaking my materials,though that gets frustrating as it is so easy to get lost on my changes :-)

CityBlockB.png
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Neilr on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Love the look of the Wings object, color is very pretty. I like the mountains, sky, and water in your second image. And the ship, for a plain ship, looks pretty good.

@nreed: Additions in that scene keep improving the overall look.

edited December 1969

@nreed - coming along nicely.

@electro-elvis - nice try. The leaves are too dark for being back-lit. The season is a bit unfortunate to go out checking on existing foliage.

@mermaid010 - thank you. The shape is nice. The ship scene is nice too. Sails are made of cloth, not wood. Give them a bit of transparency.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've been updating my graphic design port folio which I decided needed a new cover page.

Though I've also got a similar idea using a Smarties tube... Which I may work on at some point this week.

CoverDoneBlur.jpg
    598 x 842 - 435K
    edited December 1969

Can you send me a bottle (without wasp)? Will come in handy when I need a creativity shot for Bryce. :coolsmile:

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

@ TheSavage64 very nice bottle of creativity, how many times has some one wished for a drink of that? haha love the little bee
    @ chohole I really like the fantasy scenes you put together

I am excited to see what everyone does with the water challenge, water is very tricky to work with and I am curious what all can be done with it.

my Death Star is posted on ShareCG if anyone wants to play around with it:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/74236/browse/5/3D-Model/Death-Star-Kenner-Palitoy-1977-Playset

edited December 1969

Hahaha Horo... You don't need any of that drink, you've got creativity by the ton. :)

Thanks Dana, what I need at the moment is a drink that makes me sleep for a week... There is too much creative juice flowing through my head to the point that it is refusing to shut down even though my eyes are only half open... Damn this insomnia.

Meanwhile as sleep is eluding me, I've quickly knocked together a tube of Smarties.

Smarties.jpg
    975 x 450 - 235K
    edited January 2014

@TheSavage64
    Nailed the smarties right out of the gate,containers with labels, gives me some ideas for sure.
    Damn your all fired up! don't let it get to far gone before you rest!
    where can i see you graphic design port folio?

Post edited by dana365 on
    edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    @ TheSavage64 very nice bottle of creativity, how many times has some one wished for a drink of that? haha love the little bee
    @ chohole I really like the fantasy scenes you put together

I am excited to see what everyone does with the water challenge, water is very tricky to work with and I am curious what all can be done with it.

my Death Star is posted on ShareCG if anyone wants to play around with it:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/74236/browse/5/3D-Model/Death-Star-Kenner-Palitoy-1977-Playset

Thanks Dana. I do have more Fantasy ones, but not many in my gallery here yet http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/153/

edited December 1969

TheSavage64 inspired build

crack_ringer_and_eightball_junky.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 596K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Smarties! I want some now... I blame you Dave!

Meanwhile I am still immersed in pondering the rendering of the green stuff. After throwing a few ideas around and being sent back to the drawing board. Here in regular rendering mode with "leaf specific" scattering. Lit from behind and then in front.

Back_lit_scatter_in_leaf3_2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 380K
    Back_lit_scatter_in_leaf3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 402K
    edited December 1969

did this one just because I had to challenge my self to do the ridges, which I didn't have a need for when wrapping a label around the soup one

allum_can_with_ridges_build.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 232K
    edited December 1969

@ David that wood material you have in the Bryce 7 materials is great! both the pine and laminated one.
    Those leaves are looking totally realistic, I was reading the different issues you guys are tackling developing those leaves, pretty deep, a lot more goes into these builds than one would ever know

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    @ David that wood material you have in the Bryce 7 materials is great! both the pine and laminated one.
    Those leaves are looking totally realistic, I was reading the different issues you guys are tackling developing those leaves, pretty deep, a lot more goes into these builds than one would ever know

Thank you Dana, well Bryce favors the inveterate tinkerer. If you want more materials and you have not already done so, make sure you have located your pro-materials set that comes with the free Bryce 7.1 content. If you don't know where that might be hidden Horo has created this handy PDF that explains all. http://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf

As for the leaves well they represent an interesting challenge, Rashad's approach is the best to date, but that was before we had hyper-textures and a few other curious discoveries to help us, so maybe it is time to reexamine our ideas in light of this. Maybe Rashad's approach will remain the best method we have, I don't know, but there is no harm in looking and much to be gained.

edited December 1969

@David thanks for the heads up that there are other materials available

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Folks;

The artwork here continues to blow me away - Hard to believe many of the images are 3D artwork and not photos.

I had been inspired by the recent images I have seen here with a POV inside a torus, so I felt I would play around with some ideas using that technique and came up with " Inside The Computer Core" sort of a Sci-Fi image using the inside of 2 Torus primitives as the basis for my corridors.

I then imported 2 M-4 figures that I set up in DAZ Studio and also included an alien looking machine and control panel that I made of Bryce primitives a few years back for another project. The walls of the 2 torus shapes are just a standard texture from the material lab. The floor is a flat plane that I laid down and put one of my textures from another project (The surface of my rocket ship in my recent ruined world image) Final parts to this project were several radial lights I placed down the various corridors.

Unlike my last project ( I haven't yet posted ) which although was set at regular quality and took 2 days to render (8 hours on the anti-Aliasing alone ) This image had very few parts and was rendered in fine art mode and only took a few hours.

Thanks guys for the inspiration on going inside the torus - Have a feeling I will be playing with this technique a lot in the near future...

Bruce

Inside_The_Computer_CoreJPG.jpg
    1514 x 857 - 567K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

nreed said:
    @ mermaid, Yes I am using terrains and making the biuldings, this set is 2 different terrains and a third flat ground for the streets and grass.

This is my latest with a little more variety to the tall buildings. I am now working to improve the "urban area" and tweaking my materials,though that gets frustrating as it is so easy to get lost on my changes :-)

NREED: Really like the way your city scape is coming along and the use of terrains to build them. Setting the materials can be a bit of a pain when doing this. A number of years ago I created some building materials that I use in my creations like this. The only problem is that if only using a couple of terrains, your buildings will look very similar in design and color. Small example below using one terrain and one material set. What you might want to do is create several more terrains and make sure they don't overlap the buildings, then you can give each terrain a different material so building designs vary. Just a suggestion.

EDIT: If you use photoshop or PSP or similar program which allows you to do layers, this might be the best way to create your terrains so they don't overlap. Create each as a set of buildings on each layer and then copy and paste each layer as a new image when city is all laid out.

Good luck on the project - really love the way it is going so far and your ground scape looks great...

Bruce

Test_Terrain_Buildings.jpg
    943 x 381 - 91K
    Post edited by Goshtac on
    edited December 1969

Some sweets to go with the juice. :-)

CoverAlt.jpg
    636 x 900 - 345K
This discussion has been closed.