Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    c-ram said:
    Still in the grip of trying to achieve SSS in Bryce. I used this model http://www.daz3d.com/n1-interceptor Render time less than one hour at maximum rpp (256). Used one of our metals (Horo's and mines) materials for the ground.

Really impressive SSS effect David.. I hope you're going to post a video for this.

I will post specific videos relating to this technique. At the moment I am still in the experimental stage. It is coming together. If you want to keep pace with progress I have the following out already.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - simulating SSS basics - by David Brinnen
    Hypertexture driven ambient reflection mapping - by David Brinnen
    Hypertexture driven ambient reflection mapping and scattering - by David Brinnen

The Interceptor render was made with a mixture of these methods. I'm trying to get the best effect for the least render time. Which is my present area of research.

All right David, keep on working! I've allready take a look at your related videos, very instructive. It'll be good if i could find application to this technics in a future landscape render.

Hmn... can't think that there would be a lot of use for sss in a landscape, it does tend to me more of a small to human scale effect. Here's another little render experiment with this process. Render time about one hour.

Looks amazing, David. This latest example is very convincing. SSS is essential for landscapes as every single leaf on every single tree technically should have translucency at a minimum, but a full SSS isn't a bad idea either if one can muster up the render time. Very nice work David, as always!

You're right Rashad. That's what i was thinking about when I talk about a landscape application of SSS effect. SSS on leaves could have a good impact and give a new look to a picture. It also going to increase render time but actual renders are at these price.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Wow. I'm flattered that people would want to recreate my 'Metal Thing' and the results came out looking good guys.

So here's the last two from this set of four, though I'm just on with a render that will pull all four together (hopefully) :)

MetalWire.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 568K
    MetalGlass.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 482K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@gussnemo

Here are the pictures I was going to upload for you yesterday.
    Just click on the "Mixed shots" image. Theres 8 pics in the order
    you need if you want to have a go.

Sorry for the delay.

https://mypixels.shutterfly.com

@TheSavage64.

Love what you're doing with all the metal objects (whatever they are):)

@dan whiteside.

Thankyou very much, you're most kind.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Rashad, ah, yes SSS for leaves... well... the thing is, in terms of efficiency, this process might not adapt well to leaves... but it is an interesting idea... I will experiment.

Dan! Great renders, I saw them and liked them in the gallery. How can it take two months to fix being able to log in?

Dave, more nice things! I won't try to copy every one, they do look good though.

Another couple of scattering experiments. Render times just under an hour. As you can see, not every one turns out as well as another, there are a lot of variables in terms of what can be done. It will be a while I think before I've got my head around this.

Fuzzy10.jpg
    850 x 850 - 188K
    Fuzzy9.jpg
    850 x 850 - 321K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited December 1969

@Dave - incredible objects.

@David - interesting examples. Though I did't experiment as much as you, this is what I found out as well: not each one gives the expected results.

edited December 1969

Thanks Stuart, David and Horo.

It's been a lot of fun doing these, partly because I don't usually do 'abstract' type renders, partly because I haven't had much opportunity to play with geometry in design for a while and partly because David & Horo's 'Heating Room' metal materials set has some wonderful materials to use (and sometimes abuse).

So the final (really!) render from this collection is my attempt to tie all of them together.

MetalExhibition.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 569K
    edited January 2014

Horo said:
    @Dave - incredible objects.

@David - interesting examples. Though I did't experiment as much as you, this is what I found out as well: not each one gives the expected results.

Aye, for these I'm using a -ht to soak up ambient rays that enter the surface of the model, but it requires, as you might expect, careful light balancing, since there is no such thing in real life as light that actively absorbs more than a fully black surface. It is as weird as it is interesting.

Edit, very nice render Dave, also nice of you to mention our product!

Fuzzy11.jpg
    850 x 850 - 323K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Three minute TA render. 16 rpp. Note the noise. Default Bryce sun (100% shadow intensity) as light source, sky hdri background providing additional light via TA optimised in IBL.

The leaves admit light but cast a reasonable shadow, scatter light internally and do not glow. Issues... render time.

leaf_scattering_test1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 339K
    edited December 1969

Edit, very nice render Dave, also nice of you to mention our product!

Thanks David. I've also tagged your product on these uploads to my gallery. Always like to help out where I can.

Those leaves look great. Not sure that render time is an issue, could you do a comparison render using regular lighting settings?
    The dragon in your previous post looks great too... I'm way behind with the hyper texture exploration as I have only managed to watch one tutorial and it wasn't the forst one you did on this subject so I didn't rightly understand what was going on.
    Will catch up eventually. :)

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Three minute TA render. 16 rpp. Note the noise. Default Bryce sun (100% shadow intensity) as light source, sky hdri background providing additional light via TA optimised in IBL.

The leaves admit light but cast a reasonable shadow, scatter light internally and do not glow. Issues... render time.

So.. Scatter light doesn't work properly with leaves? That's a sad news.. I'll look forward to learn your sss technic when a video will be available on your YouTube channel and then to apply it on some objects, I have some ideas until I have seen it.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Folks;

Have been messing around this past week to create some props for a major render project. These props once shrunk down for this particular project won't show much detail, but I tend to get a bit anal in trying to put details into my models even when they are just intended for use as a distant background prop, at least for now. But I have run into a bit of a mystery while rendering a small boat model I made in Bryce from primitives.

I had put some wood textured seats in the boat and then made another cube primitive on top that I textured so they would look like seat cushions. But if you look at the first render, you will notice an odd blue reflection of some sort extending off the two rear seat cushions, but yet when I view the same scene from above, you only notice this blue showing along the edges. It should be noted the lighting angles were not changed, only the camera angle. Also all of the seats started as one unit and I then duplicated them adjusting only the width to fit the contours of the boat. Yet this odd blue only shows up on the rear 2 seats???

Wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation in the past as this one has me stumped... Thanks for looking and appreciate any ideas to explain this strange anomaly.

Have a great weekend all....

Bruce

Small_Boat.jpg
    1175 x 1353 - 224K
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited January 2014

goshtac said:
    Hi Folks;

Have been messing around this past week to create some props for a major render project. These props once shrunk down for this particular project won't show much detail, but I tend to get a bit anal in trying to put details into my models even when they are just intended for use as a distant background prop, at least for now. But I have run into a bit of a mystery while rendering a small boat model I made in Bryce from primitives.

I had put some wood textured seats in the boat and then made another cube primitive on top that I textured so they would look like seat cushions. But if you look at the first render, you will notice an odd blue reflection of some sort extending off the two rear seat cushions, but yet when I view the same scene from above, you only notice this blue showing along the edges. It should be noted the lighting angles were not changed, only the camera angle. Also all of the seats started as one unit and I then duplicated them adjusting only the width to fit the contours of the boat. Yet this odd blue only shows up on the rear 2 seats???

Wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation in the past as this one has me stumped... Thanks for looking and appreciate any ideas to explain this strange anomaly.

Have a great weekend all....

Bruce

. a simple fix would be to redo them or copy paste and resize one of the unaffected ones. you did something to them, but it's hard to discern what. closest thing I can guess is if you're using boolean, make sure the right parts are positive or negative or neutral.

Post edited by useroperator on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

Just a quick post and I am off to bed.....The Windmill

The_Windmill3.jpg
    1420 x 708 - 936K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Looking nice Trish... If you want suggestions, I'd widen the lens or make the document square so we get to see all of the windmill. :)

After last week's model building of the Effects pedal foot switch, last night I started modelling this power amp.
    Completely untextured at the moment.

PowerAmp.jpg
    1666 x 675 - 172K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2014

Been playing around with hollowed-out tori (see second image) and the effects produced using various mats, lighting, camera angles or FOV changes...etc., can lead to some wonderful surreal to abstract works.

Title: "Bowman's Return"

Jay
    Edit: Damn craetes typo...ooops ;)

torus-setup.jpg
    515 x 572 - 133K
    torusman.jpg
    856 x 1388 - 1M
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Another 'torusy-thingy'...

Title: "Hell"

Jay

hell.jpg
    1200 x 531 - 1M
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Bruce: that reflection matches your water color....does your seat connect to the sides of the boat???
    Dave : good point that would have made more sense than me trying to angle the camera .......
    Jay: great stuff....although the hell one is kind of creepy.....

edited January 2014

@Dave - great corner of a room with the "paintings" and the objects. Nicely lit, too. Amplifier model looks awesome even in grey.

@David - if there are no options, it is great to find at least ways to emulate. With the tree leaves, they appear the way like if a bit of transparency is used. Now if they render faster and are not too tedious to set up, then that's an alternative.

@Bruce - dinghy looks great, I have no idea what the reason could be for this weird issue.

@Trish - landscape with mill looks very nice. I agree with Dave, the image needs more height. Since the mill is the main focus, it shouldn't get cropped.

@Jamahoney - Bowman's Return looks very good. I like the effect. But why hollowing the torus? It is already hollow. I did some abstracts quite a while ago with the camera in a torus. Hell is a bit creepy as Trish pointed out. But then, hell is supposed to be creepy I reckon.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo.
    Still playing with it, I've neatened up the fan slots on the front and added a few more detailing bits... Also now looking at materials but not done with that one yet.

PowerAmp2.jpg
    1111 x 450 - 246K
    edited January 2014

Cheers, as usual, Trish...always an encouraging comment.

"But why hollowing the torus? It is already hollow."

Horo..., darn it, but I didn't know that...I mainly look, experiment around with the image I want to create, and then, to my peril, at times (like now), ignore the actual tech/normals behind it (ignoring the tools of the trade - from software to pixels, brushes to paints).

Jay

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited December 1969

David – interesting experiments. Hope I get some time this weekend to try some of your tutorials.

Dan – great artwork very impressive.

Hansmar – I can see a children’s book in the making.

Dave – the final work, the room one, is stunning. Amplifier looks awesome. Do you use the primitives in Bryce for all your modeling?

Bruce – the boat looks great.

Trish - landscape with mill looks very nice.

Jamahoney – the tori renders are nice but a bit creepy.

edited January 2014

Jamahoney said:
    "But why hollowing the torus? It is already hollow."

Horo..., darn it, but I didn't know that.
    I always look into an object, Bryce trees and branches are also hollow ...
    I couldn't help it to play with a torus, a bit reflecting and a bit transparent. A thin torus is inside it with white diffuse. The light comes from an HDRI from inside located in the centre of the torus and it is also rendered as background and seeps into the torus. The HDRI WpH32 comes with our Hypertextures product. Between the renders, I only moved the camera a bit and changed max ray depth. You get addicted, there are thousands of permutations. Each render finished well below 30 seconds. The camera looks through the EWL so we have a FOV of 340°.
    TorusNut5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 110K
    TorusNut4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 90K
    TorusNut3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 86K
    TorusNut2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 133K
    TorusNut1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 196K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

"...there are thousands of permutations..."

No-true-a-word: it looks like experimentation is as 'variable' as the 'software' (Bryce) allows.,

Jay

edited December 1969

Dave – the final work, the room one, is stunning. Amplifier looks awesome. Do you use the primitives in Bryce for all your modeling?

Yes, I use the Bryce primitives and Rashad's 'Addition Primitives' from the preset library. :)

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    No-true-a-word: it looks like experimentation is as 'variable' as the 'software' (Bryce) allows.

Accepted, your mastery of the language is better. I spare you the experiments I made in the meantime using 2 tori at 90°.
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo: I did experiment a bit with MRD (assuming you mean maximum ray depth), which doesn't seem to do anything here. By the way, both animals are metaballs and a few spheres!

@Horo: I also tried to change the shadow casting and self shadows from the box (room) and also tried to fiddle some more with the settings of the 'backgrounds' (lights). Did not help. I tried upping and downing the refraction of the room material (up: makes it darker, down makes it lighter; something I didn't realise so far). But the grain remains. In the picture below, the dark box was with maximum refraction on the wall material, the light box with minimum and the surrounding with 'air'.
    Then I tried several ways for anti aliasing. Catmull-Rom gives more shatter on the wall, Mitchell-Netravali too. Others don't differ.
    Soft reflections? No good. IBL quality up (more lights): big increase in render time, no help.
    Let's try whatever I can find: Blurry reflections? no. Blurry transmissions: no.Total internal reflection? no.
    So, unless David Brinnen has a brilliant idea (no doubt): I'm beginning to think there is nothing I can do about it!

@TheSavage64: Super metal things! Really like the bottom one very much! And the renders in render one is fabulous.

@David Brinnen: Wonderful experiments with SSS. Your Stanford dragon looks great! And the tree doesn't look so bad to me either.

@bullit35744: I agree: would like to see the whole mill.

@mermaid010: who knows?

show_refraction.JPG
    241 x 214 - 24K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited January 2014

@David Brinnen: Looks very promising. I especially like the tree.

@goshtac: I am afraid, I have no clue. I reminds me of an effect, when you are using a negative boolean with the same size and position like the positive, but this is not the point in your scene, I think.

@Trish: Nice picture. I wonder, how you achive this smooth transition from the brown path to the green grass.

@TheSavage64: Lovely Bryce modell. Bryce is really not the worst modeller.

@Jamahoney: "Bowman's return" looks really great. I like Bowman's outfit and the colours and the lighting, actually I like everything.

@Horo: Interesting abstracts. Very vivid.

@hansmar: When you replace your obscure lighting with an ordinary light, does the grainy effect disappear? If so, it has to do with the lighting method.(I know, it is not that helpful, but at least you know, it has nothing to do with other things, like number of rays, or AA. Hope you find the solution.

I have lately played around with Wings3D and made Wingthings. The picture with the 3 cubes. Two are made with Wings3D, one with Bryce. Guess which ;-)

wingthings_floral_and_cube.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 35K
    wingthings_3cubes_with_holes.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 35K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

Started work on the applied graphics... Still needs work... :)

PowerAmp3.jpg
    1666 x 675 - 352K
    edited January 2014

Mermaid...as always, many thanks, and, yes, creepy - true, true. Funny, and frustratingly, I always want to see static images as how they would look like in animated form. It's no problem to do this in Bryce, but, darn it, while it takes just a few 'clicks' to set up, waiting for the render to finalise afterwards get my nerves going (I'm kinda a 'want it now, immediately', bloke - to my detriment ;)).

Horo...gorgeous...never thought of combining tori - great idea, but, as you say "you get addicted"; this torus route.

Elvis...so, so much thanks on the 'Bowman's Return' work - was thinking of Arthur C. Clarke's incredible work - '2001: A Space Odyssey' for awhile, where the main astronaut character, Dave Bowman, goes to a strange, Monolith object. What happens to him afterwards has always been a puzzle, which is part of the attraction of the unknown?

Love the 'cubes', however, should they be of Monollith dimensions (1:4:9 ratio)...hehee ;)

Jay

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Wow, I'm so behind things with this thread.

I'll have to catch up tomorrow.
    In the meantime, here's a little something I'm working on, he's called 'SnowPea' - he's a little bright in the Bryce renders because he hasn't any decent UV textures yet, and I need to adjust the lighting in here - otherwise he shows up as almost black, 3 Wings3d shots and then it's Bryce, (I'm quite pleased with his carroty nose and his frozen leafy lips) I hope you like him:

WhitePalaceSkullsFog11.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 197K
    WhitePalaceSkullsFog10.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 252K
    SnowPeaFace1.jpg
    905 x 883 - 110K
    SnowPea3.jpg
    905 x 883 - 71K
    SnowPea1.jpg
    526 x 612 - 48K
This discussion has been closed.