Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

@Horo thanks, so what can and can not be shared and permissions is making more sense now, so when it is time to share , and the creation is mine, what is the easiest way to share? some of the scene files are pretty big and I don't think email is going to work well.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2014

Drop box is pretty good. I use it, and I know quite a few PAs do as well. https://www.dropbox.com/
    You can get a fair size box in the free version,

If you want to make it a freebie for everyone to pick up then you can't really go wrong with ShareCG

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Today's doodle.

Originally, I was going to add to bugs and beasties with a butterfly using the same set up, but it wasn't working out, so I did this with it instead. :)

LadyBirdTree.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 222K
  • dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Drop box is pretty good. I use it, and I know quite a few PAs do as well. https://www.dropbox.com/
    You can get a fair size box in the free version,

If you want to make it a freebie for everyone to pick up then you can't really go wrong with ShareCG

@Chohole great , ShareCG looks like the one, thanks! I had forgotten about drop box as well, thanks again

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2014

Trish...would love to play a game of chess on this board - it's nicely-coloured, and easily recognisable - the pieces.

The usual components in 'normal-setup' chess can, at times, be boring-looking in their usual B/W colours...etc., so a change in [that] area is always recommennded. Oddly enough, I always think of the Harry Potter chess game whenever it comes to thus-a-game - a classic for animators.

Jay
    OT...having issues, lately, logging in to Daz/Bryce websites...weird.

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Those latest scenes are wonderful. All the beetles really look nice.

@mermaid: Thanks. The water for the bowls is under Water --> Turbulent --> Ultra Ripple (row 2 object 2). The falling water comes from the same group but Calm --> Horo's Pondwaves 5 (row 4 object 3). I modified refraction for Pondwaves 5 to 105 so it had more of an air appearance.

@David: A six sided dice? Nice. Video was another excellent one, as were the results.

@franontheedge: Nice little character, as are both room images.

@dana: Thank you. I've never heard of that person but glad to know my vases come close to his work.

@Trish: Nice chess pieces, very colorful.

I finally got the water for my fountain settled, added the initial water spout on top, added the bottom bowl, threw in material for the ground plane to give some feeling, and played around with material for the main fountain part and the bowl. A few of the fourteen tries are below.

Fountain_Assembly_13.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Fountain_Assembly_12.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Fountain_Assembly_10.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Fountain_Assembly_5.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Fountain_Assembly_4.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited January 2014

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Those latest scenes are wonderful. All the beetles really look nice.

@mermaid: Thanks. The water for the bowls is under Water --> Turbulent --> Ultra Ripple (row 2 object 2). The falling water comes from the same group but Calm --> Horo's Pondwaves 5 (row 4 object 3). I modified refraction for Pondwaves 5 to 105 so it had more of an air appearance.

@David: A six sided dice? Nice. Video was another excellent one, as were the results.

@franontheedge: Nice little character, as are both room images.

@dana: Thank you. I've never heard of that person but glad to know my vases come close to his work.

@Trish: Nice chess pieces, very colorful.

I finally got the water for my fountain settled, added the initial water spout on top, added the bottom bowl, threw in material for the ground plane to give some feeling, and played around with material for the main fountain part and the bowl. A few of the fourteen tries are below.

Looks good. Typically however, when water cascades down it usually develops legs, it doesn't usually remain uniform. I once created a similar render to yours back in the Bryce 5 days. I found the file and this is what I did to get a natural look from the falling water.

Image 1
    This is merely an example of what the final render looked like.

Image 2
    This is the wireframe

Image 3
    This image demonstrates the first step. I used a terrain to create a flat zone (white) that progresses quickly to black along the edge. Notice there is a small amount of Erosion on the very edges. In the Attributes this primary terrain should be set as Positive.

Image 4
    For some reason that I don't fully recall, I felt the need to duplicate the primary terrain. I placed this duplicated terrain slightly lower than the original and applied it as a Negative in the Attributes so that it could cut out most of the internal volume of the original water terrain. This was the first step toward producing legs.

Edit: Now I remember what I was doing and why. The original terrain has the erosion along the edge, this in a way creates the first step of the falling water effect. The duplicated terrain that is the first cut out has no edge erosion, so when it cuts away the internal volume of the original it will also cut away from the edges the parts that have been darkened by the erosion filter. In fact at this stage, what you get is a more or less even distribution of falling water streams. This is why the third terrain was needed, to produce larger gaps between the falling water streams for a more natural look.

Image 5
    To create the actual look of streams falling along the sides yet another terrain was employed. This one has a much different edge, eroded using the other erosion function. This terrain is also meant to be set as a Negative. The result is that when the edges of this third terrain intersect with the original positive it should cut away the uniformity of the falling water along the edges creating the thin lines of falling water we are looking for.

Typically when I write a tutorial I do a more detailed job of it, but I assume with your current level of experience you will easily be able to fill in the blanks. If you have any questions or even suggestions for me about it please do let me know. I intended to comment on this study you have undertaken some time ago and like many things it got away from me, almost anyway.

Fountain_Scene_C.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 836K
    Fountain_Scene_B.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 692K
    Fountain_Scene_A.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 705K
    Fountain_Scene_D.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    FOUNTAIN_SCENE.jpg
    990 x 680 - 993K
    Post edited by Rashad Carter on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

@user.operator. Nice stones. Good render.

@bullit35744: Wonderful set of chess! Great colours. Might be difficult to see the difference between black and white though.

@TheSavage64: Nice doodle,

@GussNemo: Fountain looks good. Spout on top is still a little flat, should be more rounded, I think.

@Rashad Carter: Great work. Indeed more natural. Thanks for the explanations!

Her follows my Doodle. This is a 'modeling in metaballs' doodle. Done nothing at all regarding ground or sky (just the defaults). Super fine antialiasing, no complicated light system. I may want to try this thing in some of the indoor light tricks by Horo and David Brinnen, together with a child and some other children's room items. But that takes much more time.
    By the way: eyes and tongue are spheres.

playanimal.jpg
    695 x 695 - 195K
    edited December 1969

@Rashad: Thank you so very much for the information, it was something I'd not even thought about. I've seen various types of fountains, those with sheets of falling water, those with streams as in your image, and those in between. But I believe what you've shown would work better for what I've in mind. I think I can keep what I have but employ negative objects to achieve the stream effect. Or give your terrain example a try, though it's going to be a real learning experience since I seldom use the cropping options or have tried to create specific shapes. I do like the look you achieved so I'll give something a try.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Another little random noodle for those that like to model in Wings. Video is short, just three minutes. But some Wings experience is recommended.

Wings 3D project - bobbly torus knot strip - by David Brinnen

Renders in Bryce and Octane.

Bobbly_torus_knot_strip1_oct.jpg
    850 x 850 - 185K
    Bobbly_torus_knot_strip1_br.jpg
    850 x 850 - 262K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited January 2014

@user.operator - nice lapidary.

@Trish - nice chess game. May also distract when playing.

@Dave - nice scene, I like how the mountains recede into the morning fog.

@GussNemo - you're getting along with your fountain but like Rashad, I would tackle the water in Bryce with terrains.

@Rashad - I haven't seen this scene yet. Great render as usual. Haze in the building is a bit strong. The fountain looks really believable. Elaborate setup but it was certainly worth it.

@hansmar - what a cute dog with wings, or whatever it is supposed to be. Doing it yourself is always best.

@David - interesting shape with the pimples. The Bryce render appeals more to me.

Meanwhile, I have watched and experimented with the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUpmAKV2p58 and condensed it to a Memo for those that have also watched it.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Another little random noodle for those that like to model in Wings. Video is short, just three minutes. But some Wings experience is recommended.

Wings 3D project - bobbly torus knot strip - by David Brinnen

Renders in Bryce and Octane.

That looks very much like the same stuff they cover ping pong bats with. Looks great. :)

edited December 1969

Chohole,
    Happy New Year to you too, btw! It's so nice to see a character with some experience who doesn't have the elbows of a 17 year old. I do not know how you managed to age the other parts of her body, but I love it and wish everyone would do that. Excellent pose as well. I do find the odd color banding in the dress to be a fault of jpeg compression, or maybe something else? I am wondering how it ended up there, if Bryce is somehow responsible. Not to draw too much attention to it, it doesn't distract most people I am just always looking for any sort of rendering errors I can find that we can remember to tackle in the next development cycle if it ever happens. I wonder if enabling 48 bit dithering would have removed that banding?

Guss
    Terrains are quite flexible within Bryce, magical even when it comes to solving problems. I do remember It was a challenge making the water appear to fall downward and not outward as well, as terrains are always slightly wider at the base than at the top. Notice that the spout at the top is not provided in this render, I'll have to look for later version to see how I solved that problem, but I assume it was probably along the same lines of negative cut-outs. Terrains can be made into Solid objects as well, so that they don't always behave as hollow shells. By the way those moibus strips you produced on page 48 are some of the most beautiful materials I have every seen from Bryce. Triple WOW on those!

Dave Savage,
    Its been a while since I went ballistic about how amazingly skillful your renders are, but I feel it about to come on again. The insects are great. In a few instances I feel some of the shells might be slightly too reflective, as with the Ladybug. Maybe some slight degree of disruption to the surface of the shell might be useful. Most organic surfaces are imperfect when viewed this closely. But then again, I don't have any reason to assume this other than it's my assumption, I could well be wrong.

The trucks are amazing as well. There is a certain degree is shifting of colors occurring on the purple one that I really love. The silly alien is fun too. I like the crazy range of directions your mind carries you. Please do keep uploading forever and ever!

David Brinnen,
    Again I find myself mostly sickened by how far behind I am on these brilliant abuses you've discovered within Bryce, Hypertextures? I love what I'm seeing. I have looked briefly at some of the tutorials but I haven't had the option to employ any of it in my own tests. The level of control when working in these extreme ranges is usually limited but you seem to be bale to get a good range of results from the limited inputs available.

The twisted thingy looks great in both applications, but I think that the Bryce one looks as good as the Octane one. I think I recognize this material as the one you created during the most recent video on the subject, which proves this hyper texturing directive actually can provide an increased degree of realism. I was at first thinking this was more of a fantasy, maybe even abstract artwork geared type of material approach but no, its actually quite practical.

You and Horo do a fantastic job of keeping Bryce young for the rest of us. Digging deeper. Thanks again as always!!!!!!!

Horo,
    I'm so impressed with everything I'm seeing that it reminds me how much I miss being in the loop. The study you posted with the light bouncing is fascinating. I think I like the one with the strong orange bounce the best, but all of them are exceptional.

I love the flower render series as well. Strong colors, but this seems to make them look all the more realistic. The renders appear to be almost like dreams, idealized remembrances.

User.Operator

That Keyshot looks wonderful. Perhaps even groundbreaking. It seems to simplify the process in a way that i find almost frightening. I mean is there such a thing as too easy? Or am I just conditioned to expect suffering due to years of deBryce renderings? What that called Stockholm or something? Anyhow, thanks for pointing me to it I will certainly be keeping an eye on its development.

Hansmar,
    The model indeed has a child-like innocence to it. I can easily imagine it in a render with a small child sleeping next to it. The asymmetrical really establishes it as a friendly animal and a convincing soft plush toy.

edited December 1969

nreed,
    You've already had better luck with the fog tool than I've have in my entire career using Bryce. I really like the way the city rises up from the smog or whatever gas that is obscuring the bases of the buildings. I like the colors of the sky, toxic but somehow still warm and inviting. Nice work!

Yellow Pen,
    Those interiors you posted on page 53 are INCREDIBLE! I am really impressed. The bathroom scene is very plausible in the materials and lighting and modeling...everything. I MUST know how you lit that scene? TA, 3d fill lights, details please. The sitting room also looks wonderful, nice balance of lighting elements. I love a well lit interior and you delivered two of them back to back. Please do continue!

JStryder,
    Nice work. I like the depth of field on the snowman. I dont always have good luck with that tool, it tends to make everything look so small.

edited December 1969

Trish,
    Looking forward to the finished result with the cats and the grass. Its off to a nice start so far.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

Rashad I am so glad you are back hanging out with us again ...I missed you....

Ok guys..I have been told else where... that this girl is too small for the size of the car ...so I put her in it and she fits in the car........HELP ..

I am not trying to be rude... and not comment on every ones wonderful work... but its freezing here... and I am off to the fuzzy blanket land...

Kory_and_the_Camaro2.jpg
    1491 x 744 - 304K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Rashad: Ha, I had to go back to page 48 to see what you were referring to. Thank you for the kind words, just more trying this and that. I've been working with a terrain to try and produce the right configuration which give streams of water instead of the slab in my images. So far I haven't produced anything worth keeping. As usual, I started with a terrain in order to get to the TE, clicked on New to get rid of that terrain and, because I wanted a symmetric circle, I loaded a circle image I found on the web. I went from here and tried eroding the negative terrains to get the right combination but nada, I still have more slab look than stream. I'll give it another go in the days to come.

@Trish: As to your figure being to small sitting on the hood of that car, go sit on the hood of a car similar to that one and see how far down your leg hangs. I think you'll find that your foot will come close to or hang below the center of the wheel.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi folks;

Just love to hang out here and marvel at some of the great renders coming out of the Bryce Community here. Hope everyone is warmer where you are. We have had -25 below zero for a few days and still about -15 this AM. ( Kids love it as all the schools closed for the past few days due to the weather. So Grandma Mel gets to babysit again today while I slink off and catch some ZZZs. ( Being a night owl does have its benefits at times)

My latest Bryce render I just finished a short while ago - I call it " Voyage to a Dead World" It was at times a pain in the backside creating as I had about 10 program crashes while designing it ( Kept crashing when I tried to do some lighting effects for the rocket engine and finally had to just do the flames and smoke in post with PSP. )

Those who have seen some of my previous work may have noticed I frequently bring ruined cities into some of my images. ( Maybe from my days as a kid blowing things up in my backyard or the time I spent with combat engineers when we got to blow up things like old bridges, etc. ??? )

Whatever... The ruins of all the buildings are modified terrains with my own textures imported into the material lab. A few "Junk" items in the scene are either old props I made in the past or rocks and or primitives.

The spaceship was not the greatest design I could come up with, but was made with primitives. Also like mentioned before the flames of the engine and a little grunge to some of the ruins was added in post with PSP9.

Have a great day and critical comments - good or bad always welcome. Thanks for looking!

Bruce

Dead_World_2.jpg
    1514 x 857 - 400K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited January 2014

A chocolate bubble for everybody. :-) (Sometimes it is a pity it is just a picture and not real, isn't it?)

chocolate_bubbles.jpg
    900 x 900 - 38K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

A chocolate bubble for everybody. :-) (Sometimes it is a pity it is just a picture and not real, isn't it?)

Sprinkles too? You are really spoiling us. What is the filling?

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited December 1969

There are two varieties: tender white chocolate or a chrunchy roasted hazelnut surrounded with a soft milk chocolate. (oh, boy I am sooo hungry)

edited December 1969

Chocolate...yuummm, but short-lived, perhaps, if the recent news is to be believed - cocoa bean prices are shooting up, therefore, we 'chocos-lovers' (everyone???) are going to suffer. Quick, buy now the jumbo bars ;)

Jay

edited January 2014

@Rashad - thank you. As far as vegetation is concerned, I think you're one of the masters so your comment on the flowers means a lot to me. I'm looking forward to seeing you more often in this forum.

@Trish - the car has the right colour for you but the lady looks indeed a bit small. It may be a question of perspective if she fits in the driver's seat.

@Bruce - I do not like the look of such a derelict place but it is well done.

@electro-elvis - ah pralines, looking quite delicious. Not an explicit chocolate lover, I eat it when forced to :coolsmile: . Could be a photograph. Very well done.

Not chocolate but also pimples. I watched David's video (previous page) but made the pimples on both sides of the ribbon and added a cord at the borders. Smoothing twice made Bryce chewing for 1-3/4 hours to import but once in the Objects Library, the 97 MB it occupies load instantly. IBL render, 256 quality, less than half an hour.

Noppen03.jpg
    640 x 800 - 138K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

@Bruce: Dead is the right word for your latest scene. I like your results, though not the subject. I wouldn't worry about how that spaceship looks, at the distance shown details aren't going to be visible. Nice work.

@electro: Chocolate?? Oh mmmm...but what, no toffee crunch, caramel filling, or cherries? Nice looking image.

@Horo: Your take on David's latest video looks real nice.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

Hi all, I realise I sometimes miss a reaction to my work and then do not respond. Sorry for that. There is so much interaction in this forum, I can hardly keep up!

@David Brinnen: Very neat rubbery thingy. Don't see a practical use yet, but, who cares!

@Horo: Thanks. I was thinking 'Little pony something' but dog looks reasonable to me too.

@Rashad Carter: good idea: a sleeping child. It looks like a toy indeed. I might make more, to make a mobile over a cot.

@bullit35744: No, the girl is not too small, but it is an old-fashioned huge American car!

@goshtac: Hope your computer doesn't freeze! Interesting wreckage. There must be a story behind it.

@electro-elvis: Looks very tasty!

@Horo: I love the colours in the reflection on your rubber thingy.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

OMG I am so far behind I have to stop fooling around elsewhere.....
    Dave: your latest doodle is nice but the lady bug is really cool!!!
    Jay : Thanks I just threw some colors on the board to show what you can do with it....I will always buy chocolate...but really going up huh....The dirty dogs...
    hansmar: nice job with your meataball project...they are fun
    Bruce: I did not know you were an Engineer.....I was Medical Supply...LOL small world.....I like your building render
    Elvis: That chocolate made me go out and buy some...LOL
    David: you are so inventive ...I wish I could come up with half the ideas you do
    Horo: I like the material you used on your project very nice
    Guss: wish I still had my Camaro to measure with...LOL

This is what had me messed up this is the same girl inside...oh I had to PS out her foot sticking through the floorboard....maybe me tilting it too much of an angle to see the reflections???....Its not a finished render on the second one either
    and the new one is Jericho and Phillip Sky fighting....

sky_playing3a.jpg
    1124 x 834 - 464K
    chick_in_68.jpg
    826 x 511 - 149K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

First off folks - Thanks to all on the comments on my Dead World image - I really have to find a more "Alive" project to work on next.. ;-)

Elvis: Shame on you posting that delicious looking image - I am now craving a box of chocolates ( I am diabetic so that is not good )

Trish: I like the car image and agree with Horo that it seems the woman just a bit small on the hood but as he stated it might be a matter of perspective to some degree. PS: Thank you for your service in Medical. I was signal corp in regular Army and then with an Engineer Unit for several years in National Guard.

Horo: Really nice take on the ribbon - I really love your work and David's as I never fail to learn something from you two.

Rashad: Nice running into you here again after the last few years I have been absent. Love your technique with the flowing water and will be playing around with that for sure.

Guss: Thanks for the kind comments and I have to agree that at a distance the rocket ship doesn't seem to be too bad. Although, I still wish I had spent just a little more time on the overall design.

( Below is closer look at the original model )

Bruce

Rocket_Render.jpg
    732 x 526 - 67K
    edited December 1969

@Trish - posing a character into a car can be time consuming. I did that once but hadn't the car in Studio but in Bryce. It was Michael into car, back to Studio, adjusting, back to Bryce - for hours.

The clouds the guys stand on is really great. Poses are very good, too.

@Bruce - that spaceship looks great and is very nicely done.

edited December 1969

For those liking it in true 3D an anaglyph (red/cyan goggles needed to fully appreciate).

Noppen-ana-2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 164K
    edited December 1969

Oh, super 3D anaglyph, Horo, particularly in the larger view - the method really brings out the structure of the model (perhaps complex models should always have accompanying them a 3D version as well, as so much can be gleaned).

Jay

This discussion has been closed.