Carrara Challenge #47: Structured/Unstructured...or "Unstructured Structure"

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    Mystarra said:

still a few days for this.

been caught up in eso. hit level 30

I have seen them on YouTube, the little housecat Kahjiit so cute heart

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

wow I have been away for a while 79 posts since I logged in on this thread alone - what wonderful work I have missed

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

wow I have been away for a while 79 posts since I logged in on this thread alone - what wonderful work I have missed

And much off topic by me, I love Selinita and others discoveries and workflows.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

yes she is a gem, as are you - you both sparkle up the Carrara Community

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

yes she is a gem, as are you - you both sparkle up the Carrara Communit

creative sparks inspires smiley

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

doantya hate when yoo buy something pacifically for a challenge and then never render it?  dohhh

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Pondering an unstructured entry and was thinking of a basic scifi post catastrophe image.  How is this for irony, probably a very structured composition like a Frazetta or Hoffman sci-fi triangle for my unstructured image.  I put together a some quick elements.  To make the backdrop, I used a black/orange color gradient in the background, a relatively detailed foreground terrain, two less detailed distant terrains, some distant dark clouds, and a few twisted trees (use curve settings in branch edior) without leaves.  I rendered out the terrains/trees image.  I saved the terrain and lighting elements.  I started a new scene, reloaded the lights and foreground terrain, and inserted the first render as the background.  I reduced the resolution of the terrain, which is set as a shadow catcher.

Rugged catastrophe survivors and their props yet to be added.

Looks like a great start to me!

Hope you are back for a while. yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2019

Wonderful ear, Veronika.  The subsurface effect is amazing (assuming I'm identifying it correctly - if not, then it is even more impressive).

Happy 4th, Misty.

Welcome back, Andrew.  Great to see you posting again.

Thanks for the nice comment, UB and Headwax.

Here is the final of the world-gone-bad image.  I inserted David 5, Victoria 6, and Misty's Johnathan G3M figure with Veronika's Lukas skin maps.  Some post work with Filter Forge Steve J Dreamscape (mixed in at low setting) and some adjustments of levels in PSE.

Straight render

Adjusted

Post Apocolypse combined 09.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
    Post Apocolypse combined 09 entry.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 594K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Wendy - you are making great progress - keep at it !

Diomede - nice apocalyptic scene !!

Vyusur - lend me your ears - great scene !!

Headwax - welcome back - we miss you !!

Misty - happy 4th !

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Ted, thank you so much for your kind words! This effect is "subsurface scattering".

Bunyip, thank you for your nice comment!

edited July 2019

Thanks for the compliment, Bunyip.

I start traveling later this weekend so I'm not sure I am going to finish the idea I had for the hexagon structures and formula objects.  I have started on a silly animation with a slapstick scientist.  Here is a WIP just in case I decide to enter a few comic panels instead of an animation.  

Toon Override Line Slider - Potentially Useful WorkFlow Information

- one useful bit I found is the ability to adjust the toon lines for individual objects in the effects tab.  Check thebox for toon override and then adjust the overall toon effect for the object and the lines independently.  In this case, I want my scientist's boss to have gray hair, but the toon lines make it look black.  

Here is the scientist and boss that I modeled.  I made the toon hair by starting with Carrara strand hair (which does not do well with the toon effect) and then used Philemo's hair converter.  Thank you, Philemo.  For the boss, I checked the toon override for the converted hair and thn set the line slider to 50% for gray.  yes

Toon Scientist Model and Boss

Toon Render with Boss Hair Toon Override Lines set to 50

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No toon override for boss hair (full toon effect)

Toon override for boss hair checked and set lines at zero so no toon lines

hex scientists.JPG
    1433 x 822 - 151K
    hextext render 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    hex toon override line at 50.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    hex test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    Vyusur said:

“Ear Holder”

Ear was modeled in Blender. Holder thing was modeled in Carrara. Screenshots are attached. Rendered with Octane plugin. No postwork.

That's awesome Vyusur, very cool! Thanks for the screen shots of your modeling process, you are a fantastic modeler.

yes she is a gem, as are you - you both sparkle up the Carrara Community

+1 yes

Wonderful ear, Veronika.  The subsurface effect is amazing (assuming I'm identifying it correctly - if not, then it is even more impressive).

Happy 4th, Misty.

Welcome back, Andrew.  Great to see you posting again.

Thanks for the nice comment, UB and Headwax.

Here is the final of the world-gone-bad image.  I inserted David 5, Victoria 6, and Misty's Johnathan G3M figure with Veronika's Lukas skin maps.  Some post work with Filter Forge Steve J Dreamscape (mixed in at low setting) and some adjustments of levels in PSE.

Straight render

Adjusted

Really like the environment you created with this image. Thanks for the explanations.

Thanks for the compliment, Bunyip.

I start traveling later this weekend so I'm not sure I am going to finish the idea I had for the hexagon structures and formula objects.  I have started on a silly animation with a slapstick scientist.  Here is a WIP just in case I decide to enter a few comic panels instead of an animation.  

Toon Override Line Slider - Potentially Useful WorkFlow Information

- one useful bit I found is the ability to adjust the toon lines for individual objects in the effects tab.  Check thebox for toon override and then adjust the overall toon effect for the object and the lines independently.  In this case, I want my scientist's boss to have gray hair, but the toon lines make it look black.  

Here is the scientist and boss that I modeled.  I made the toon hair by starting with Carrara strand hair (which does not do well with the toon effect) and then used Philemo's hair converter.  Thank you, Philemo.  For the boss, I checked the toon override for the converted hair and thn set the line slider to 50% for gray.  yes

Toon Scientist Model and Boss

You are continuously forging full steam ahead with your figure models - they look great! 

But..what is The Boss gesturing there...kind of looks like a middle finger. laugh

Thanks for the Toon effects tips.

edited July 2019

I haven't had much time to do much Carrara-ing lately but have been picking at this Unstructured thing. The sketch has been floating around for like 2 years now so I decided to try to make a scene with it. I modeled an arm first (yet another attempt, lol), dupliacted it with symmetry and then rigged them and saved them to my browser so I could drag as many as I want into the scene. I then modeled the 'Mouth Thing' and added some bones to help bend it. Skin shader is from Carrara Native Content under Shaders > Organic. I have no experience with skin shaders. blush

I plan on adding several more arms to the base of the flowing flesh. Once I have everything placed where I want I plan on exporting the model and then welding the arms to the Mouth Thing model...I think.

Lots more to do, including dressing up the environment and doing some post work. Don't know if I can finish in time.

Great work here everyone, just a few more days to go!

mouth_thing_sketch2.jpg
    874 x 780 - 113K
    arm_model.jpg
    748 x 1092 - 52K
    arm_models_rigged.jpg
    744 x 948 - 41K
    mouth_thing_model.jpg
    1494 x 1066 - 89K
    scene_render_001.jpg
    1100 x 1280 - 76K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited July 2019

DesertDude - very cool arm /mouth concept.  Can't wait to see the final version.

RE: with which finger does the boss point?  LOL,

just a funny angle.  He is pointing with his index finger, or first finger (remember, there are only 3 fingers).  In any case, not the middle finger.  It is just the base of the thumb giving the wrong impression.  Perhaps this slight rotation of the wrist results in a more pleasing hand gesture?

hex hand angle.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    william.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 169K

DesertDude - very cool arm /mouth concept.  Can't wait to see the final version.

RE: with which finger does the boss point?  LOL,

just a funny angle.  He is pointing with his index finger, or first finger (remember, there are only 3 fingers).  In any case, not the middle finger.  It is just the base of the thumb giving the wrong impression.  Perhaps this slight rotation of the wrist results in a more pleasing hand gesture?

Ah...ha ha, I didn't notice the three fingers...ha ha...Cheers!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Vyusur said:

“Ear Holder”

Ear was modeled in Blender. Holder thing was modeled in Carrara. Screenshots are attached. Rendered with Octane plugin. No postwork.

That's awesome Vyusur, very cool! Thanks for the screen shots of your modeling process, you are a fantastic modeler.

DesertDude, thank you very much for your kind words!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited July 2019

"Burn it Down"

I had an idea for one more. I think this one is "structured/unstructured."

Scene Setup

The chess pieces are from Fancy a Game of Chess https://www.daz3d.com/fancy-a-game-of-chess. I took them into Blender and used the sculpting tools there to "melt" them a bit, then added wicks in Carrara. The flames are billboards replicated on the tips of the candle wicks. The board is a simple vertex model made in Carrara using procedural wood textures from the Carrara Pro content. I was going to add some fresh drips with fluidos but I haven't had time.

I combined three separate renders with slightly different light and subsurface settings in Photoshop for the final version.

Final

BurnItDownSceneSetup.JPG
    1883 x 952 - 229K
    CandlesRender001.png
    1920 x 1090 - 914K
    CandlesRender002.png
    1920 x 1090 - 1M
    CandlesRender003.png
    1920 x 1090 - 1M
    BurnItDownFinal.png
    1920 x 1090 - 2M
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited July 2019

"Burn it Down"

Scene Setup

The chess pieces are from Fancy a Game of Chess https://www.daz3d.com/fancy-a-game-of-chess. I took them into Blender and used the sculpting tools there to "melt" them a bit, then added wicks in Carrara. The flames are billboards replicated on the tips of the candle wicks. The board is a simple vertex model made in Carrara using procedural wood textures from the Carrara Pro content. I was going to add some fresh drips with fluidos but I haven't had time.

I combined three separate renders with slightly different light and subsurface settings in Photoshop for the final version.

Final

Wow, most excellent, Mark.  Some Fluidos liquid would be even more cool, but inspiring just as it is.

I don't thnk I'll have time to finish any of my other projects (Lego People, Hexagon Lattices, Formula Objects, Slapstick Toon Scientists).  I'll be traveling a lot with only intermittant internet access, so don't consider any extensions on my account.  Will post progress to the main render threads later in the month if warranted.

(EDIT:  the California earthquakes occurred minutes after I purchased my train tickets from San Antonio to Los Angeles - coincidence?)

"Burn it Down"

Scene Setup

Final

Everything can be "structured/unstructured." ! smiley 

Cool image MDOImaginations. Love the use of billboards. I'm all for 'smoke and mirrors', love 3D, 2.5D, 2D...whatever it takes to realize our art.

Cheers!

(EDIT:  the California earthquakes occurred minutes after I purchased my train tickets from San Antonio to Los Angeles - coincidence?)

Haven't had much news on today...hope everyone is okay. I grew up in the San Fancisco Bay Area and experienced many earthquakes growing up...one of them pretty devestating back in '89

Be safe man. Cheers

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

There was an earthquake!

great images, love the chess pieces. On limited interwebs and iPad time whilst I’m travelling in this alternate universe called Melbourne, keep safe if you’re in the quake zone.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited July 2019

Very cool work everybody!

The melted chess pieces are really nice.

I'm getting one more in. I wanted to do a humorous one, so I used the Girl 4, because of her cartoonish proportions. I thought it would be funny to show her as a mummy being "unstructured" by a cat unwinding her bandages.

The scene makes use of Indirect Lighting. I only used three shape lights parented to the fire primitives to light the scene.

Other than the girl figure, her bandage outfit, the kitty, and the fire holders, I built and textured all my own scene elements. The floor are replicated pavers I built. I wanted the pillars to have a cartoony shape so their shape is exaggerated. The ribbon of bandage was made using an interpolated curve poly line and extruding a shape along that line.

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.15.39 AM.png
    488 x 1052 - 87K
    Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.15.31 AM.png
    1676 x 1616 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.16.04 AM.png
    2190 x 1060 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.13.13 AM.png
    3514 x 1764 - 501K
    Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.13.40 AM.png
    3498 x 1770 - 566K
    Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.14.18 AM.png
    2854 x 1220 - 246K
    Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.12.27 AM.png
    3504 x 1728 - 2M
    Mummy Girl-small.jpg
    2500 x 1406 - 6M
    Post edited by evilproducer on

That's awesome evilproducer - love the expression on her face. And the cat...they're such (lovely) brats. smiley

Great lighting and scene elements. Thanks for the explanations.

Just a FYI everyone, you still have all day tomorrow until midnight to get your final renders entered. The entry thread looks great!!

Hope you all had a good week end!

Thanks DeserttDude.  You are doing a great job.  Very interesting and varied entries. yes

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119
    edited July 2019

Thanks DeserttDude.  You are doing a great job.  Very interesting and varied entries. yes

+ Yeah, very good then _Thanks +   +  and _the Towers  Screenshots

2TOWRS CARR 1.png
    1920 x 1039 - 473K
    2TOWRS BLENDR 1.png
    1920 x 1009 - 215K
    Towers of Knotty HillsAB.jpg
    1080 x 675 - 361K
    Post edited by ed3D on