• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited June 2019

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone.  Very encouraging.  I keep jumping around projects.  Here is an update of our Cyclopstritch buddies.  Created a company with a replicator of 3 slightly different shaded / posed cavalry plus a flag bearer.  Added a shadow catcher plane, grouped, and then replicated the company.  Also replicated some fog (color changed) to create a dust cloud in the distance.

Cyclopstritch in fog 2.jpg
    2000 x 1231 - 201K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone.  Very encouraging.  I keep jumping around projects.  Here is an update of our Cyclopstritch buddies.  Created a company with a replicator of 3 slightly different shaded / posed cavalry plus a flag bearer.  Added a shadow catcher plane, grouped, and then replicated the company.  Also replicated some fog (color changed) to create a dust cloud in the distance.

That bit of variety definately improves the image, great result !!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

After the Apocalypse

“Unstructured” could be ruins,

OK, got some ruins. :)

The female is LaRoo2, from RDNA and Daz.  Love those older gals.  The shorts are LaRoo clothes, and the top is from V4 Barbarian.  Hair is Radiant Jaguar.

In the background is After the War from Stonemason.

Processs include Carrara clouds and Carrara text.  For the monochrome-ish look, I used the Anguish filter in GMIC.  It provides an interesting darkening/smoothing effect., with several control sliders to play with:

Among them are Smooth amplitude, Noise amplitude, and Sharpen amplitude.  Small adjustments can make great changes, so it takes some patience to work out the best combinations.

I had to use PSE for about 5 minutes to fix some unruly surfaces (common when you use complex filters).  Otherwise, it was more than 99% done in Carrara.

wow .. awesome... obviously the apocalypse has blown her wardrobe to bits!
    great image yes

Selinita said:

Morphing Domino...

MorphingDominos by Selinita

Here's a closeup of the model (Click to enlarge)...

Shader uses elevation to ensure appearing dimples are coloured 'black'

nothing better than a morphing dominoe... I also did one though slightly different to yours as I can't work out elevation shaders lol .. top job.. amazed at how many people have never played dominoes.. also the error hasn't been picked up in my dominoes render yet  .. thanks all for the comments .. the ant is giving a hint wink

edited June 2019

Night-time scene at a Skyport

Used futuristic structures to imply an advanced world, with the glowing objects indicating a safe warm environment in which to live.

Skyport night 1 setup.png
    2262 x 1037 - 922K
    Skyport night 1c render.png
    2400 x 1230 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

made a video on how I modelled the dominoe smiley

Great video, thanks for taking the time and effort to demonstrate!

After the Apocalypse

“Unstructured” could be ruins,

OK, got some ruins. :)

The female is LaRoo2, from RDNA and Daz.  Love those older gals.  The shorts are LaRoo clothes, and the top is from V4 Barbarian.  Hair is Radiant Jaguar.

In the background is After the War from Stonemason.

Processs include Carrara clouds and Carrara text.  For the monochrome-ish look, I used the Anguish filter in GMIC.  It provides an interesting darkening/smoothing effect., with several control sliders to play with:

Among them are Smooth amplitude, Noise amplitude, and Sharpen amplitude.  Small adjustments can make great changes, so it takes some patience to work out the best combinations.

I had to use PSE for about 5 minutes to fix some unruly surfaces (common when you use complex filters).  Otherwise, it was more than 99% done in Carrara.

Ruins! smiley I like the squiggly painterly look. Just curious, is Carrara Text used for what look like planks of fallen wood? Awesome use of Carrara's tools.

wow :) love this thread,

sorry some bad things in real life are taking me away at the moment - apologies for not participating more,

must say @DesertDude  is doing a wonderful job 

Sorry to hear that Headwax, I hope things get better for you real soon.  heart

Thanks for the nice words. smiley

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

That bit of variety definitely improves the image, great result !!!

+1 yes

Selinita said:

Morphing Domino...

MorphingDominos by Selinita

Here's a closeup of the model (Click to enlarge)...

Shader uses elevation to ensure appearing dimples are coloured 'black'

Very clever Selinita - and nice modeling job! Lighitng looks great, I think I saw you used the new HDR Light Dome plugin from Philemo? Nice.

edited June 2019

+1 (more) yes

Post edited by DesertDude on

Night-time scene at a Skyport

Looks great Bunyip - lots of cool glows happening there.

Selinita said:

The red threads of Pern ...

..and a close up ...

Oooo, cool looking image and animation. Well, not sure what that's from but it looks like a dangerous place to be. wink

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Bunyip, Selina, and Stezza, for the comments!  Sorry I am not commenting more myself.  Lots of neat things in this thread.

Ruins! smiley I like the squiggly painterly look. Just curious, is Carrara Text used for what look like planks of fallen wood? Awesome use of Carrara's tools.

Thanks.  No, the text was only used for my sig (and much harder than it seems, as the filters make colors and brightness of the text much more difficult to control).  For sure, it is easier to do the sig in postwork. :)

Stonemason gets gredit for any fallen planks.  I just rearranged elements in his set, including several ground planes.  The Anguish filter, Carrara Gamma, and an HDRI did most of the heavy lifting to achieve the "squiggly" effect.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    Selinita said:

The red threads of Pern ...

..and a close up ...

Threads falling over all that green land and no dragons in sight?! The Lord Holders will be furious! laugh

The first three Dragonriders of Pern books were some of my favorites in my early teens. I must have reread them 30 times between age 11 and age 16, so this really brings back some memories!

Weren't the threads silver or grey though? I know they came from the Red Star but I don't think thread itself was red (unless that is something from the later books that I never read).

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

+1 (more) yes

cloud envy.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

they look like shuttlecocks... smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

+1 (more) yes

just wonderful

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

so much brilliant work in this thread

more work on previous quickie to keep my hand in 

Untitled-11.jpg
    2214 x 1399 - 2M

Thanks Bunyip, Selina, and Stezza, for the comments!  Sorry I am not commenting more myself.  Lots of neat things in this thread.

Thanks.  No, the text was only used for my sig (and much harder than it seems, as the filters make colors and brightness of the text much more difficult to control).  For sure, it is easier to do the sig in postwork. :)

Stonemason gets gredit for any fallen planks.  I just rearranged elements in his set, including several ground planes.  The Anguish filter, Carrara Gamma, and an HDRI did most of the heavy lifting to achieve the "squiggly" effect.

Ah...sorry, (...face palming myself...)...there are many other elements in your scene, I didn't even see the signature...

Awesome Headwax! Hope you are doing well. There is...a lot going on there. smiley

Thanks for the screen grab to help with the "dissection".

Excellent !!!

Selinita said:

Just messing around in the vertex room...

I was watching with my one eye UFO so this is probably based on the alien spaceship. I started with a cone and just went from there...

Superb results for just messing around !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited June 2019

Took a break from my ideas so hadn't been following along.  I missed a lot of great stuff.

- UB - that post acopolyst image is haunting in the very best usage of that term.  Great choice of colors (and lack)!

- Stezza - thanks for the tutorial video.  A precursor of more learnng aids?

- Bunyip - its getting hard to keep track of all your wonderful projects.  I'm caught up in the futuristic feel to the sky port.  

- Headwax - have I used up all of permitted uses of the word "haunting"?  Wow, very moving half-skeleton.  Sorry to read about a rough personal patch.  Sending positive karma your way.

- Selina - I strongly support your choice to exercise artistic license and change the color to red for a visual image rather than the book's color.  In the early 1900s edition of the book, The Wizard of Oz, the witch's slippers are silver.  For the classic movie version, they changed the color to ruby for visual impact.  And love seeing your experiments in the vertex room.  Keep them coming.

Sorry if I missed anyone.  Keep up the great work.

Post edited by Diomede on