Carrara Challenge #47: Structured/Unstructured...or "Unstructured Structure"

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Very high-quality render, Bunyip.  I had the Cafe in my wishlist for many months, but never pulled the trigger. crying

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Very high-quality render, Bunyip.  I had the Cafe in my wishlist for many months, but never pulled the trigger. crying

+1

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

ok... I thought I'd get on the lego modeling wagon as well... laugh

using cubes and cylinders for my model.

Oh, ouch!! Think we all can relate to that image. I love it.

Great use of putting together cubes and cylinders to create a model Stezza!

Selinita said:

Yeah, SubD modeling usually needs, well, all stiuations are unique... What I have found is; model with no SubD and if the no SubD holds up, to SubD...

Thanks for the guidance and encouragement. Your hosting is excellent!

Thank you Selinita!

Structured - Island Butte Cafe by mmoir, sadly no longer available as it is a very nice scene

Beautiful image Bunyip!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

heart the staircase

could use one of those for my flying fortress

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Thanks UB, Vyusur, & DesertDude, most of the work is mmoir's !

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited June 2019

I had an idea for this based on the screensaver on the TV in one of our office conference rooms. The inspiring image was a top-down shot of a very complex looking highway interchange. Since I am working in a digital world and not limited by physics I decided to take it to the next level.

"Infinite Highway"

The roads are a pretty basic vertex model that I just duplicated a couple times to make longer; each road is made up of 5-7 duplicates of the basic section. I added spot lights under the lamps then duplicate the road a whole bunch of times, rotating it, changing the depth, and adding bends and twist modifiers to some of them. The fog is a volumetric cloud and there is a little bit of camera depth of field blur and some glow on the whole thing.

The car lights are just strips of the road that I duplicated and set to a different material zone so that I could apply different glows to them and are part of the base road section model.

For postwork I adjusted the colors a bit, pumped up the bloom on the lights, and increased the saturation.

Scene Setup

Render

Render with Postwork

StructuredSceneSceneSetup.JPG
    1877 x 909 - 311K
    StructuredRender001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    StructuredPostwork.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    StucturedRoadSectionModel.JPG
    1885 x 955 - 206K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited June 2019

Oh, wow MDO2010 - that's beautiful! Amazing what can inspire us. I can't say for anyone else but...you never know when or where an idea will come from. Often for me it's just like that...see something when I least expect it and suddenly a whole story unfolds. 

Looks like a painting that should be in a museum.

Thanks for the explanations. Brilliant

Post edited by DesertDude on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Catching up on the thread.  Until now, only had time to pop in and out quickly.  
    - Selina - thanks for the fog tip.    Great effects.
    - Bunyip - MadMax image looks ready for another rampage.  Car probably boobytrapped.  Good one.
            - Mmoir cafe - great camera angle and mood.  One of your best.
    - Stezza - the first power drill looks exactly like the ools used by my dentist.  Wonderful expression.
           - Foot on legos - ouch, I bet most of us have had to deal with that one.
    - Mystarra - always enjoy watching the late, great, Cripeman.  Are there backups?
    - UnifiedBrain - Soggy Bottom is tremendous.  It is a nice set, but you really enhanced everything.
    - MDO2010 - Love how you took such simple elements and put together an  abstract complexity.  Great shader work.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

edited June 2019

More Awesome Lego WIPs, because...

Everything is awesome!

Procedural shaders for first 2.  Use Carrara's 3D Paint tool to paint a face on the third WIP pic.

aa01 lego man assembled procedural shaders.jpg
    667 x 800 - 22K
    aa02 lego man broken up procedural shaders.jpg
    667 x 800 - 23K
    aa03 lego man assembled procedural shaders.jpg
    667 x 800 - 22K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited June 2019

@MDO2010 this is how imagine the USA to be like ... multi lane highways with things flying everywhere all over them.. great start wink

awesome Lego pieces and lego peoples... may have to have a seperate Misty Lego Challenge thread just for all the Legos yes

great use of your Butte @Bunyip02_Carrara cool

here's a quickie for a Sunday arvo....
    modelled the dominoes using a boolean operation... yay
    also used @Philemo_Carrara free light dome plugin set for lighting

Building Dominoes

Dominoes.png
    800 x 600 - 203K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited June 2019

MDO2010 - Awesome, although I would hate to be the designer for all of the on/off ramps, signage, and road markings that would be needed !!!

Diomede - thanks. Super Lego man needs a Super Cape !

Stezza - thanks. Love your critters in your Dominoes render !

And another one from me - Bridge Troll, the dangers that often lurk under structures

The bridge indicates the structured environment being a safe place to cross. The Troll indicates the unstructured troubles that can occur in our supposedly structured lives.

Bridge Troll 2 setup.png
    2267 x 1044 - 3M
    Bridge Troll 2 render.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited June 2019

Cyclopstritch Parade

Because parades are structured.  The cyclopstritch cavalry veterans are paradingwith their Carrara 9 power member regalia (see shields).

Simple scene.  Rendered out a backround then replicated the cyclopstritches over a shadow catcher.

bb01 shadow catcher scen setup.JPG
    1588 x 774 - 164K
    Herd background.png
    2000 x 1231 - 2M
    cyclopstritch 01.jpg
    2000 x 1231 - 206K
    edited June 2019

- Stezza - your ants are awesome as they play dominoes.  Wonderful faces and poses.

- Bunyip - if the person wants to cross, must answer questions three.  Awesome render.

More Awesome Lego WIPs, because...

Everything is awesome!

Procedural shaders for first 2.  Use Carrara's 3D Paint tool to paint a face on the third WIP pic.

Sweet! Great modeling job Diomede. Great hair, and Carrara 3D paint. yay!

@MDO2010 this is how imagine the USA to be like ... multi lane highways with things flying everywhere all over them.. great start wink

awesome Lego pieces and lego peoples... may have to have a seperate Misty Lego Challenge thread just for all the Legos yes

great use of your Butte @Bunyip02_Carrara cool

here's a quickie for a Sunday arvo....
    modelled the dominoes using a boolean operation... yay
    also used @Philemo_Carrara free light dome plugin set for lighting

Building Dominoes

Depending on where you live in the US it's more like a multi lane multi billion dollar parking lot.  devil

Great image Stezza! I agree, love the facial expressions and poses. Dominoes modeled with boolean operations?...you are far braver than I am. laugh

MDO2010 - Awesome, although I would hate to be the designer for all of the on/off ramps, signage, and road markings that would be needed !!!

And another one from me - Bridge Troll, the dangers that often lurk under structures

Nice work Bunyip! Great composition and nice lighting.

Nice work Bunyip! Great composition and nice lighting.

Cyclopstritch Parade

Because parades are structured.  The cyclopstritch cavalry veterans are paradingwith their Carrara 9 power member regalia (see shields).

Simple scene.  Rendered out a backround then replicated the cyclopstritches over a shadow catcher.

The Carrara 9 brigade! Bring 'em on!! Love that model, so clever. Thanks for sharing the technique, you rock.

made a video on how I modelled the dominoe smiley

edited June 2019

@Diomede_Carrara I wonder  if cyclopsemus would be more terrifying! ... love your thought patterns yes

@bunyip02_carrara ... bridge over troubled waters by the looks of it !! eeeek!  in need of the cyclopstritch cavalry veterans to help out the damsel wink

I can't spell today!
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2019

After the Apocalypse

“Unstructured” could be ruins,

OK, got some ruins. :)

The female is LaRoo2, from RDNA and Daz.  Love those older gals.  The shorts are LaRoo clothes, and the top is from V4 Barbarian.  Hair is Radiant Jaguar.

In the background is After the War from Stonemason several diffrent Ron's PSE brushes.

For the monochrome-ish look (LaRoo), I used the Anguish filter in GMIC.  It provides an interesting darkening/smoothing effect., with several control sliders to play with:

Among them are Smooth amplitude, Noise amplitude, and Sharpen amplitude.  Small adjustments can make great changes, so it takes some patience to work out the best combinations.

A bunch of postwork on the background in PSE. :)  In the renders below, I left in the one which is 95% Carrara.

After the Apocaplyse.png
    1600 x 1006 - 1M
    After the Apoc BG setup.JPG
    1698 x 910 - 247K
    After the Apoc LaRoo setup.JPG
    1701 x 940 - 176K
    After the Apocaplypse 2.png
    1600 x 1121 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

wow :) love this thread,

sorry some bad things in real life are taking me away at the moment - apologies for not participating more,

must say @DesertDude  is doing a wonderful job 

Cyclopstritch Parade

And they are all in step as well, excellent !!

made a video on how I modelled the dominoe smiley

Thanks, another one for the tute library !

After the Apocalypse

“Unstructured” could be ruins,

OK, got some ruins. :)

The female is LaRoo2, from RDNA and Daz.  Love those older gals.  The shorts are LaRoo clothes, and the top is from V4 Barbarian.  Hair is Radiant Jaguar.

In the background is After the War from Stonemason.

Processs include Carrara clouds and Carrara text.  For the monochrome-ish look, I used the Anguish filter in GMIC.  It provides an interesting darkening/smoothing effect., with several control sliders to play with:

Among them are Smooth amplitude, Noise amplitude, and Sharpen amplitude.  Small adjustments can make great changes, so it takes some patience to work out the best combinations.

I had to use PSE for about 5 minutes to fix some unruly surfaces (common when you use complex filters).  Otherwise, it was more than 99% done in Carrara.

Great seeing some older content being used, very nice render as well !!

wow :) love this thread,

sorry some bad things in real life are taking me away at the moment - apologies for not participating more,

must say @DesertDude  is doing a wonderful job 

Sending man hugs your way, hope you get some play time in !!!!!

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on