Renderosity owns Poser?

Comments

• AllenArt said:
    Quasar said:

Well, I wouldn't have guessed this would happen. If they develop the software further, it will be interesting to see what changes they make. I know the previous owner fully objected to incorporating any technology from DAZ to support Genesis and similar features. Maybe that will change in the next version of Poser? It would definitely expand the content market for Poser users and likely increase sales there and at DAZ if the two companies can work together. 

I'd love to see it happen, but not sure how that would work as the two programs have always been on completely different release schedules. Unless Bondware changes that, it's going to be difficult for Poser to keep up with changes Daz makes frequently. I mean, sometimes Daz even breaks their OWN plugins with updates, so it would definitely have to be done carefully if it's to be done at all.

Laurie

The SDK has remained stable across the release versions of DS 4 (DS 4.5+), as it did across DS 3 before that (and the later stages of DS 2 as well). Bugs aside plug-ins have not broken, though the included DS plug-ins are fussier - and there have been one or two bugs that were siftly fixed.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Just saw this announcement as well, this is great for Poser I think.  Rendo has always been very keen on supporting the Poser-base, and has released numerous Poser specific figures in conjunction with the artists there. Now they can work with them direct (or maybe hire them) to take development lead on Poser and new features/figures. 

If they decide to release Poser for free...then things will get very interesting, bwahahaha!  (cue diabolically mischievous music...)   ...then if Hivewire joins them?  (cue even MORE diabolically mischievous music...)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    One forum post mentioned that the Poser dev team was gone before the sale, does anyone know what happened with them?
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

A Paraphrased repost of my comment on the rendo announcment  thread:

Do  not chase after genesis in poser unless they are going to  properly use the DSON Spec as the developer of the DEX plugin for Maya  Did  and received official support from Daz with access to internal  Daz SDK's  to complete his upcoming Genesis plugin for Autodesk Maya:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/278111/dex-dson-exchange-plugin-for-maya

IMHO the best things the new owners could do would be to continue to promote the development of the La femme figure.
    and ,whatever eventual Male, as the flagship poser figures and establish UNIFORM STANDARDS for content  creation with some official content dev tools.

Developing content for the poser natives needs to be
    easier for aspiring content devs.
    Poser needs an equivalent of the DS transfer utility
    The fitting room is not that great IMHO.

REVIVE PYTHON!!
    Reallusion (wisely) added an Python open API for Iclone 7 last year and now has a plugin marketplace where users are extending iclones functionality in some really cool ways.

Update the vestigial "animation" tools from the late 1990s era
     and fix the IK solver and capitalize on their partnership with Reallusion with a focus on
    animated filmmaking using poser figures 

If the Lafemme base was still free 
    I would love to test the rig in Iclone and produce some animations with the figure now that my long term animated feature film is nearing completion

Rendo/Bondware has a great opportunity here to potentially revive this application&market

Dont let it languish.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,827

Well I hope we see compatibility worked on for both Renderosity and DAZ3D sakes then the whole Dforce hair thing will be moot, I can use my DAZ content AND Renderosity content in perfect harmony with a fully functional software suite.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643

I'm just curious ... I received an email today that Poser and Renderosity have merged.

I started with Poser years ago and never really got very far with it. I supposed that was sometime around 2012 or 2013.

I now use DAZ Studio and I'ved learned so much in the past 6 months. It just seems so much more intuitive to me than Poser was, and the content on DAZ3D is out of this world.

But out of curiosity, I took a look at the most recently released figures on Renderosity.com today and the figures look a lot more like Genesis 2 than Genesis 8.  The look pale, and smoothed over, with no where near the detail of the figures in the DAZ3D Genesis 8 lineup.

Does anyone know if Poser is worth a second look or would I just be wasting my time?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,988
    edited June 2019

Maybe you best move your post over to the Poser section of the forum... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/poser-discussion

Chances are that you find more people there who can answer your question.smiley

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064
    3drendero said:
    One forum post mentioned that the Poser dev team was gone before the sale, does anyone know what happened with them?

Pretty much my question - Just the code base, or the development staff as well? And what condition is the code base in?

On the whole, this should be good for Poser and Poser fans.

OK Thanks.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437

Or.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,443

i might have to learn python

this has to be a better deal for Poser overall. I doubt Rendo will allow Poser to just sit there undeveloped. That would do absolutely nothing for their game. 
    Poser 2020 ... what will be the new exciting parts? 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

Ross will be happy  angel

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736

I have mixed feelings. I hadn't used Poser in years. I recently installed Poser 10 on my iMac. It didn't work properly. I didn't bother troubleshooting. I got an email about the topic, and wondered why. DAZ has been my only 3D Art community for many years. I won't bother speculating. I'd likely need to pay a hefty upgrade fee to move from Poser 10 to the latest version.

yes​ Who is Ross? 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,827

Well for ever person who cannot run Poser on their rig there is also as many who cannot run DAZ studio, I actually know a couple Mac users who cannot, hopefully everything will be worked on and bugs ironed out so everyone benefits yes

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    3drendero said:

I suspect that might be refering to the previous team, ie the US based developers that were let go well over a year ago. The new developers are in Portugal, and were responsible for all of the graphics software SM had, eg Moho and Motion Artists, as well as Poser. The new team was supposed to work on all of those, and if SM intends to keep this staff, then it will move the developers onto those other packages. That would mean Rendo would have to hire a whole new set of staff.

• Selinita said:

It would have been nice to have received an email from them notifying it's customers of this change !

They did send us an email. I got mine this afternoon.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited June 2019

This is good news. Poser has been languishing at Smith Micro for a long time now with not much movement or advancement. I wrote a post over there listing the things Rendo should use (as if they listen to me!), and here's what I said they need for this acquisition to succeed:

1. Full support for Genesis figures and poses (full support for .DUF would be even better).
    2. I ray support.
    3. Copy Daz's Download Manager and create an integrated, one-click content installation solution for Poser.
    4. Create a low-cost Poser entry version of Poser.

Like I said, I doubt they will listen, but here's hoping for the best.

PS: These days I am almost exclusively a Poser user, so this really does matter to me.

And, on another note, I checked and the old Content Paradise site is down. You can still log in, but there is a notice saying that the content is being migrated to Renderosity.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Mattymanx said:
    AllenArt said:

I'd love to see it happen, but not sure how that would work as the two programs have always been on completely different release schedules. Unless Bondware changes that, it's going to be difficult for Poser to keep up with changes Daz makes frequently. I mean, sometimes Daz even breaks their OWN plugins with updates, so it would definitely have to be done carefully if it's to be done at all.

Laurie

They only need to support the official releases and not the betas.

Well, I'm HOPING it can be done, we'll just have to see I guess ;)

Laurie

• Toonces said:

I think Rendo acknlowedges Daz Studio as the market leader (when compared to Poser). They probably don't want to do anything to alienate Daz customers, which I'm guessing comprise the majority of their sales.

Therefore it makes sense to keep the Poser announcement low-key.

I always got the impression Rendo barely tolerated the Daz-side of things simply because of the money sales from those items brought in, and if they were given a chance, they'd purge DS content from their store. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens later on down the line if they're truly serious about this purchase.

Anyhow, I tried Poser and it's just... eughhhh. Not to mention I've got a ton of G8 content that can't be used in it. If they were able to make it so Genesis 3-8 content is usable in Poser, then I might be willing to give them a second chance. But as it is right now, DS has just about every feature that Poser used to hype up (dynamics, mostly), so... :T

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,568
    Mattymanx said:
    Quasar said:

Well, I wouldn't have guessed this would happen. If they develop the software further, it will be interesting to see what changes they make. I know the previous owner fully objected to incorporating any technology from DAZ to support Genesis and similar features. Maybe that will change in the next version of Poser? It would definitely expand the content market for Poser users and likely increase sales there and at DAZ if the two companies can work together. 

It would be VERY good for EVERYONE if they were to develope the software to fully support the Genesis tech.  A total win for all !!!

I agree! Not only would it give the diehard poser users more options, it would also increase content buying here at DAZ,  which would mean more PAs and then more content for all around not to mention some more sales for existing PAs.

• Ross the Boss he's my cousin !!!

OK. Thanks. That expains everything. LOL frown

• MazhMazh Posts: 476

But their slogan "Renderosity the home for poser" sounds odd" smiley

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 800
    edited June 2019
    Finlaena said:
    Toonces said:

I think Rendo acknlowedges Daz Studio as the market leader (when compared to Poser). They probably don't want to do anything to alienate Daz customers, which I'm guessing comprise the majority of their sales.

Therefore it makes sense to keep the Poser announcement low-key.

I always got the impression Rendo barely tolerated the Daz-side of things simply because of the money sales from those items brought in, and if they were given a chance, they'd purge DS content from their store. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens later on down the line if they're truly serious about this purchase.

Anyhow, I tried Poser and it's just... eughhhh. Not to mention I've got a ton of G8 content that can't be used in it. If they were able to make it so Genesis 3-8 content is usable in Poser, then I might be willing to give them a second chance. But as it is right now, DS has just about every feature that Poser used to hype up (dynamics, mostly), so... :T

I honesty can't see the fine folks at Rendo throwing their Daz vendors to the curb. I mean, I suppose they could. It would be a win for Daz, but I just cannot see them refusing their vendors who specialize in Daz content. Almost all of my Rendo purchases from the last 3 or 4 years have been items that are Daz Studio specific. They have a crap-ton of vendors who are profitting from Daz related/specific items. They would lose vendors and lose customers by refusing Daz content in their store.

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736

Maybe it's too early to get a reading from Renderosity about what direction they will take Poser in. Renderosity has provided great Poser content for decades. It's nice to have Poser owned by a company that also produces supporting content.  I believe Poser 10 didn't work for my current Mac because there might be some update issues for Poser?!

• It definitely is waaaay too early, but I'm also concerned that Rendo will have too much of a competing interest in making Poser work as an acquisition.

The "best" way for them to promote Poser would be to give a greater share of the pot to Poser content creators. Reward artists for making content for their stuff.
    They can also throw money around to make things exclusive (like PS4 versus Xbox).
    They could cut the share to Daz creators if they wanted to.

They don't have to do any of that, but now that they own Poser, they'll have to figure out a way to make it sell.

It's good that Poser has a non-terrible owner, but Rendo can do a fair bit of damage to the Daz audience if they want to take a hard line. Smith Micro took a hard line, but they had no content library to make it work.

Can Daz set up a separate storefront for clothing that doesn't meet Daz family/community standards? 
    There isn't a lot of middle ground between Daz and 'rotica if Rendo takes a hard line on Daz Studio products.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

According to my understanding, it is not a merger, where two companies become one. Poser is a product that was owned by Smith Micro (and previously by Fractal Design, then MetaCreations, then Curious Labs, and finally e-frontier before being picked up by SM). So the proper term would be an acquistion, not merger. Renderosity now owns the rights to Poser.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

And best of luck to them.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579

...yeah, just saw that myself today.