Renderosity owns Poser?

Comments

• wolf359 said:

The Maya example is weak. Maya has its own modeling tools, is a full package appication. Dosen't need DAZ support to get sell.

No it does not... and that is the point ...yes?

The upcoming DEX plugin for Maya is Daz risking that Autodesk
    will not Make that Plugin useless with a Maya update that breaks Compatibility.
     Autodesk wont bother with checking with Daz when they update Maya unless Daz becomes a certified Autodesk developer.

Even then Daz will still have to spend Development cost to keep that plugin working for an external program they do NOT control

Bondware will be taking a similar risk  in altering the poser code to work with Genesis figure tech.
    which will not include HD morphs,Daz JCM's
    or any of the highly useful  add ons like Zev0's utilities(growing up etc.)

Yet still Bondware will have to divert their coding team to trying to keep ,an already watered down, Genesis "functional" whenever Daz updates Genesis for Daz studio..

A fools gambit IMHO

Autodesk is too big to give a toss about anyone, they are only making money, can you blame them?

they are even not interested what happens to your workflow if they stop products overnight as with the famous 123D App (remember that one?)

I have my ACP in AutoCAD and 3ds max - I don't care because I use Cinema 4D and might sound a bit off but every program could learn from Cinema 4D 

that out of the way

If Daz wants to catch up and remain in the game they will have to swallow the bitter pill or bite the dust as simple as that

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

If Daz wants to catch up and remain in the game they will have to swallow the bitter pill 

IMHO If the new owners of Poser want the program to stay alive they will have to swallow the "Bitter Pill" that they will have to build their application around figures other than Daz Genesis.

Reallusion finally woke up to this reality and created new 
    Iclone native avatars that can mimic any genesis Character shape Much like  GENX2 Projects classic Millenuim3& 4 shapes onto  Daz genesis rigs

I suggest bondware do the same.

Well actually HD morphs are supported, if you can get the figures into a readable DSON cr2 format in the first place,I have done it myself but it’s a lot of fluffing around, one needs a script to take away all the legwork.

And while all of this "Fluffing around" is being done to force fit Genesis into poser, who will be working on improving Poser itself??

At least if the new coding team at bondware focuses excusively on poser, they wont have to chase a continuously moving target
    because they own the IP.

Taking into account that we get a new genesis version every 2 years or so, Bondware would have this unknowable variable to always consider when making major needed improvements to posers native figure framework in the intervening years between genesis releases.

This would effectively cripple poser development IMHO.

• DreamingGirlDreamingGirl Posts: 227

In addition to everything Wolf359 is saying, consider this: If you want to use the genesis figures, why would you spend money on Poser to use a crippled version of it, when DS is free? Poser is better off doing its own thing.

• In addition to everything Wolf359 is saying, consider this: If you want to use the genesis figures, why would you spend money on Poser to use a crippled version of it, when DS is free? Poser is better off doing its own thing.

Because some of us like Poser better. I particularly prefer the way lights move in Poser (not as big a fan of their camera controls, though).  And Poser offers one thing that Daz Studio does not: Comic Book Preview. This is a LIVE (as in non-rendered; make a change now and you see it now – you don't have to wait for the render engine to process it) look with strong geometric edges that can vary in thickness based on material zone settings. Daz has nothing at all like this (no, Toon Shaders, Cartoon View and geoshells are not even remote competitors to this effect). Now, I admit that not everyone wants this feature or preview style. It's a small niche of the Poser community. BUT, it is one thing that Daz Studio cannot do. 

• Oso3D said:

I always try to be respect and polite at a funeral.

HAH! Dude, that is Cold!

• wolf359 said:

Respectfully Will, The application will never be "brought up to snuff" if they commit resources to maintaining compatibility with an external figure that very often breaks compatibility even with its own Content developers and end users.

Consider that Poser is not a free "loss leader" program to foment sales of  other products Poser is the primary product.

No matter what radical changes Daz inevitably makes to the next version of Genesis, You Daz PA's will be able to painlessly move one to the new version without having to buy anything again.

You will get your new, updated, PA only, tools handed over to you immediately, perhaps even before the new Genesis hits the store.

Consider the frustration of  not only having to wait until Bondware updates Poser for the New Genesis, before you can store test your Poser/Genesis content,But having to $$buy$$ that new version as well. I doubt  most Daz PA's would find that acceptable.

And what of the of the Poser/Genesis users? One of Posers biggest problems has been having to compete with older iterations of itself as many users never bothered upgrading.

Daz is completely unaffected by  those of us who wish to stay with Genesis 2 and DS 4.9 etc and don't bother downloading the Free new DS version sitting in our accounts 

Bondware will be greatly affected by poser users not buying the next "up to snuff"' version of poser out of fear of breaking their current genesis figure compatibility. Or worse being told, without warning,  its time to pull out the credit/debit card because an unaffiliated, third party, in Draper Utah decided to update Genesis according to their strategic  agenda... not  yours.

Whereas you are spot-on correct about a big problem stemming from Poser users who never upgrade (that is a BIG problem), I think you are dead wrong about the statement I highlighted in red. Here's why.

It seems to me that you, and most of the people here, have a flawed understanding of WHY so many Poser users want compatibility with Genesis figures. It's not because they are so great and we salivate at the thought of all that weight mapping stuff (that's nice, yeah we get it – that's cool stuff). We want Genesis in Poser because we want access to all content that is available for those figures. Right now there are almost no new products being created for M4, V4, and only a trickle of new stuff for La Femme, Dusk and Dawn. Those of us who use Poser are stuck with an aging, stagnant catalog of material. We hardly ever get any new stuff. I just looked at the Rendo Marketplace Home page and (not counting the ads which are probably targeted toward my preference for old figures), and I see that there is only 1 new item for V4 (and it's also for LaFemme) out of the 48 items shown. And that item is hoop earrings! Almost everything else new is G8 figures. That means that there are 40+ items on the Rendo Marketplace Home page that I am ignoring. Those are lost potential sales for Rendo. (And there are three things on that hope page I would probably buy today if I could use them in Poser)

Let's all remember one thing: Content is king.

The ONLY way for Poser to keep a supply chain of fresh content flowing through to Poser is for Rendo to change Poser so that it can make use of the huge catalog of content that has been developed for the Genesis figures.

Your last sentence (highlighted in green) is really off the mark. Whereas some users will put off a purchase of a new version for the reasons you cited, most will not. A few simple reviews or questions in the forums will allay those fears about breaking old stuff. The question about upgrading to a new version will be based on the usual things: New features vs cost. I can guarantee you that if Rendo announced that they had even 80% compatibility with Genesis figures (some poses, some characters and some clothes might not work perfectly, or maybe we could only use G3 or G8), we Poser users would whip out our wallets and upgrade so fast your head would spin. Likewise, I would be willing to pay for a plug-in to provide the support for those figures. And I'm pretty sure lots of other users would, too.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064

I tend to agree with both Wolf and Mmitchell.

Remember that Daz came close to a 'bet the farm' upgrade when they went from Studio 3.x and V4/M4 to Studio 4.0 and Genesis. They got away with it primarily because of the auto-fit functionality.

I think Bondware needs to commission a third-party to do a male and a female character designed from the ground  up to use the Poser 11 advanced rigging while they work on an autofit function that (at the very least) handles Generation 4 (V4/M4 & etc.), Genesis 3, and Genesis 8 clothing to the new figures - and make it available in Poser 12 and up.It wouldn't hurt to do a shader/material conversion similar to what Daz did with the Iray Uber Shader as well. This would provide a migration path for current content, push holdouts to upgrade to the latest Poser and just possibly an incentive to create content for Poser again.

edited July 2019

I can guarantee you that if Rendo announced that they had even 80% compatibility with Genesis figures (some poses, some characters and some clothes might not work perfectly, or maybe we could only use G3 or G8), 

The free will dial script does this  80% compatibility already
    So why are you people not using that solution?wink

Likewise, I would be willing to pay for a plug-in to provide the support for those figures. And I'm pretty sure lots of other users would, too.

Bloody Lovely!! Assuming that you dont care for the FREE will dial script,
    Then perhaps  you and those "lots of others" should undertake a kickstarter or Gofundme campaign and let some paid third party undertake the endless, fanciful pursuit of  the magic unicorn...cool
    So bondware can focus on revitaling the native 100%
    poser content market the way Daz gets to focus on theirs.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    namffuak said:

Remember that Daz came close to a 'bet the farm' upgrade when they went from Studio 3.x and V4/M4 to Studio 4.0 and Genesis. They got away with it primarily because of the auto-fit functionality.

I think Bondware needs to commission a third-party to do a male and a female character designed from the ground  up to use the Poser 11 advanced rigging while they work on an autofit function that (at the very least) handles Generation 4 (V4/M4 & etc.), Genesis 3, and Genesis 8 clothing to the new figures - and make it available in Poser 12 and up.It wouldn't hurt to do a shader/material conversion similar to what Daz did with the Iray Uber Shader as well. This would provide a migration path for current content, push holdouts to upgrade to the latest Poser and just possibly an incentive to create content for Poser again.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Didn't they already commision LaFemme and working on a male? I think everyone is working from the premise that Rendo is a graphics software company known for making software. They are aren't; they are an company that sells web software with a "simple e-commerce" addon... a totally different skill set. Where is the expertise going to come from add all new features and commission high grade figures, much less the resources? I wouldn't look for anything earth shaking for the next few years because this simply doesn't mesh with their core business and I doubt they're going to "bet the farm" of their core business into selling content and majorly revamping a 20+ year old software base. Their best bet in the short term is to leverage the software to better use existing content rather than spend a massive amount of money to create an ecosystem to compete with one they're already making money from in content sales. 

Even before that, the figure isn't the problem and wolf got it complete wrong on why content developers are using DAZ Studio, the figures facilitated the switch over, but really it's the ease of use in developing content is the main point and the support they get from a company focused on making content. I've heard from vendors that used to use poser is that even if they did put genesis in Poser they still wouldn't go back. That makes it less a figure issue and more of a ease of use that Poser doesn't have in comparison. Poser has to focus on making content easier to make for content developers and that comes before any talk about making yet another figure. And everyone needs to see if Rendo can make that happen before any talk about a new figure or plugging Genesis into the software.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    namffuak said:

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Didn't they already commision LaFemme and working on a male? I think everyone is working from the premise that Rendo is a graphics software company known for making software. They are aren't; they are an company that sells web software with a "simple e-commerce" addon... a totally different skill set. Where is the expertise going to come from add all new features and commission high grade figures, much less the resources? I wouldn't look for anything earth shaking for the next few years because this simply doesn't mesh with their core business and I doubt they're going to "bet the farm" of their core business into selling content and majorly revamping a 20+ year old software base. Their best bet in the short term is to leverage the software to better use existing content rather than spend a massive amount of money to create an ecosystem to compete with one they're already making money from in content sales. 

Even before that, the figure isn't the problem and wolf got it complete wrong on why content developers are using DAZ Studio, the figures facilitated the switch over, but really it's the ease of use in developing content is the main point and the support they get from a company focused on making content. I've heard from vendors that used to use poser is that even if they did put genesis in Poser they still wouldn't go back. That makes it less a figure issue and more of a ease of use that Poser doesn't have in comparison. Poser has to focus on making content easier to make for content developers and that comes before any talk about making yet another figure. And everyone needs to see if Rendo can make that happen before any talk about a new figure or plugging Genesis into the software.

I agree. Like DAZ, Rendo makes most of their money selling content. Both DAZ and Rendo make most of their money selling content based on the same figures. If Rendo were able to add full Genesis X support, they would only end up adding more content to both stores and both companies would see more customers. If they could support Genesis X well, I would view Poser as an alternative to DAZ Studio for people who prefer the interface, rendering engine or special features (as mmitchell_houston pointed out, like the live comic preview). We'd wind up with some shader issues (instead of 3DL and iRay, we'd have Firefly, etc.) but that would, again, open up more possibilities to the market and content creation. Rendo already makes decent money on selling Genesis X content, I can't imagine them not wanting to increase that stream of revenue.

-- Walt Sterdan

wolf got it complete wrong on why content developers are using DAZ Studio, the figures facilitated the switch over, but really it's the ease of use in developing content is the main point

Terrence... buddy.. in this we are in complete agreement.wink

Perhaps you missed my comment back on page 5 of the thread where I wrote:
    "Now they need Flagship NATIVE poser figures, of high quality, and the poser equivalent of the DS transfer utility
    ,for easy clothing rigging ,and other UNIFORM STANDARDS  for poser  native content creation
    to attract Developers."

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    wolf359 said:

wolf got it complete wrong on why content developers are using DAZ Studio, the figures facilitated the switch over, but really it's the ease of use in developing content is the main point

Terrence... buddy.. in this we are in complete agreement.wink

Perhaps you missed my comment back on page 5 of the thread where I wrote:
    "Now they need Flagship NATIVE poser figures, of high quality, and the poser equivalent of the DS transfer utility
    ,for easy clothing rigging ,and other UNIFORM STANDARDS  for poser  native content creation
    to attract Developers."

Not the same thing, standards aren't the same as ease of use.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited July 2019
    namffuak said:

I think Bondware needs to commission a third-party to do a male and a female character designed from the ground  up to use the Poser 11 advanced rigging while they work on an autofit function that (at the very least) handles Generation 4 (V4/M4 & etc.), Genesis 3, and Genesis 8 clothing to the new figures - and make it available in Poser 12 and up. It wouldn't hurt to do a shader/material conversion similar to what Daz did with the Iray Uber Shader as well. This would provide a migration path for current content, push holdouts to upgrade to the latest Poser and just possibly an incentive to create content for Poser again.

That is a VERY good idea. It should also work with poses and expressions. It doesn't necessarily address the issue of textures and characters based on the Genesis figures, but it would be a great start because (as I said) it's not the figures we salivate over, it is the clothing, props, expressions, poses and so forth that we want. We want a larger selection of all that cool stuff..

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited July 2019
    wolf359 said:

The free will dial script does this  80% compatibility already. So why are you people not using that solution?wink

Bloody Lovely!! Assuming that you dont care for the FREE will dial script,

Willdial did a remarkable job developing a workaround that does succeed in transferring the Genesis 3 / 8 figure into Poser 11 (although you can try it with Poser 2014, there are numerous issues with the expressions not working correctly.)

But the workaround is not as simple as running a script. It's a long, detailed process that requires quite a bit of work and fiddling around with .NET versions and finding the right version of DSON, as well as requiring you to install Daz Studio on your computer so you can export the various meshes and their companion files. Suffice to say, I have gone through this process to use Genesis 3 in Poser Pro 11 and I confidently say that it doesn't provide anywhere near 80% compatibility/functionality in Poser. More like 50% or so.

Plus, every time you want to use clothing, you have to export it from Daz Studio. One. Item. At. A. Time. And even then there's no guarantee that DSON will transfer the clothing correctly (shoes and hair are notorious for having problems).

So, I will summarize by answering your question: A lot of us don't use Willdial's transfer process because it's complicated and doesn't always work. Plus, once you have moved the G3/8 figure into Poser you still don't have any clothes, poses or expressions to use with it. So, although it is a remarkable workaround (and he is a top-notch guy for creating it and offering it for free), it is just not the same thing as being able to load the figure and the clothing/pose/expression assets directly from the Poser library.

As I've said before, CONTENT IS KING. For future versions of Poser to succeed, the software needs to let us Poser users access the vast library of content out there that has been developed for the various Genesis figures.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,831

Well up until Genesis 3 Carrara users did enjoy this privilege 

and so did Poser users with DSON

nobody is saying DAZ has to support other softwares if it’s going to cost them more than they are profiting by selling content but the fact they do sell FBX here content and sell in iClone format at Reallusion suggests they do in fact get some financial kickbacks.

there is a SDK and API so other softwares could in fact support the duf format it just depends if they are interested enough too

aside note, we have some very keen people with coding abilities in the Carrara community but sadly DAZ has not revealed enough of the Carrara workings in the Carrara SDK  to help them or we would actually have compatibility, node names apparently are not accessible and it’s typos in the Genesis 3 & 8 bone names that don’t match that crash Carrara as well as the rig not binding unless converted to general weights in DS, It could possibly be fixed on the Carrara side if only the plugin developers had access to that part of the API.

I feel as though Poser actually has an advantage there in what is available to coders but possibly lacks the people interested enough to try with the ability to do it though the last statement from Renderosity suggests some people are going to show some renewed interest now it is no longer owned by SmithMicro, I just like options myself besides DAZ studio to use my content as it is a very limited program aside from its ability to load and render DAZ content.

• Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163
    edited July 2019
    Well since I was banned from the rendo forums last night. (why? Was it for daz bashing? No (plenty of that there, but not from me) . Poser bashing? No(plenty of that over that last few years but not from me) . Direct attack? No (gave that up years ago, but I suppose some delicate soul may think "no, your wrong" is a mortal insult) . But for "being negative" - I said the new minor updates to the site were worthless while major problems were being left. Go figure....) I'm thanking rendo for the ban. Yes really. Yup I am. Had a think and well... I own poser 4propack, 5,6,7,8,9,10. But I've never, ever rendered in 8,9 or 10. I've never done a render other than a product render since poser 4. Why do I even have poser still installed? Why am I still going there? The 2 ppl I like, I talk to elsewhere. No one shares knowledge the way they used to. (ok BB does, if you can follow the math... Which I can't) Looking back, I've infact wasted my money on 8,9 and 10, which brought me personally no feature benefits. (I create rooms and props. I can do that with poser 4 ffs) I spend more time here (tho rarely post) and at the sketchup forums, I render mainly in keyshot and twinmotion. I can use ds for what rigging I need.. Tho that is minimal now.. So tonight poser gets removed from my system. I have no purchases to save over there (I make, not buy) so.. Pretty much an anticlimax I suppose... 19 years lol not much to show for it. I wish poser luck, but frankly I don't hold out much hope for its future there (no announcements on plans, no hiring ads to be found... Etc) Time will tell, but without me.
    Post edited by Khai-J-Bach on
    You can't do paragraph breaks on here?
    edited July 2019
    You can't do paragraph breaks on here?

I just hit return after each sentence 

I find exporting to Twinmotion from DAZ studio a right pain BTW, cannot do Y- axis that it wants without everything being reversed and dropping through ground when moved.cheeky I use Carrara instead devil

wish I could retexture the clothes and skins of those animated 3D people!

and remove the damned phones

Poser like DS is just a content fixing or loading/exporting  tool for Carrara and iClone for me.

What Poser does well for me is walk Designer, using fitting room on legacy figures and FBX import and conversion to cr2 figures and pz2 motions from iClone etc.

I want to render in it more but seem to have issues optimising Superfly for animation, the settings probably exist but I cannot find them it’s the lack of documentation, I just don’t know how to limit iterations/samples per frame whatever.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    Thanks, good to know about the ds>twinmotion there, I've not gone that route as yet. If I have any suggestions, ok to let you know? OK hit enter and.... Do we have paragraphs?
    Thanks, good to know about the ds>twinmotion there, I've not gone that route as yet. If I have any suggestions, ok to let you know? OK hit enter and.... Do we have paragraphs?

No

must be your browser then, you haven’t clicked source by some chance and gone HTML?

<p>&nbsp;</p> Between might fix that if copy pasting

I'm on my phone here, so I'm blaming chrome/SwiftKey ;)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

shift enter clicked at the same time
    makes it like this

or just enter

makes it like this

I have a Twinmotion thread but not much activity been there.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/326986/twinmotion-by-unreal-epic-games-is-free-until-november#latest

Just in case you wanted somewhere you could chat without us derailing this oneenlightened

Chohole said:

shift enter clicked at the same time
    makes it like this

or just enter

makes it like this

Yeah it's SwiftKey.. No biggy
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited July 2019
    The new owner has a new thread in their old forum, about Poser improvement suggestions. Post your list there.
    Post edited by 3drendero on
    The new owner has a news post about the development status. Already started with the license system, an update will be needed when available.
    The new owner has a CEO interview with high level information about the Poser future, over at the new owners site.
  • Here's a few key quotes from the aforementioned article/interview with Bondware CEO Tim Choate

What are the short-term plans for Poser?

From now thru mid-October, we are hyper-focused on putting out a bridge-release that adapts Poser to Bondware's license management system, product download system, etc.

In parallel, we are adding to our dev team, creating a beta testing team and seeking advice from previous Poser team members, contributors and community members to construct a product roadmap for the future.

After mid-October, we will begin to engage the community on potential product roadmap and begin to roll out incremental improvements.

What are the long-term goals for Poser?

Like any software company worth their salt, we want to delight customers by delivering commonly requested features where viable. We also want to drive adoption of the latest version of Poser with good communications and aggressive pricing. We want to align the product features with the Renderosity marketplace so that they support each other.

Given all that, we are aware that we will not be able to meet every customers needs, but we certainly want to hear and understand them.