Renderosity owns Poser?

Comments

• Havos said:
    3drendero said:
    One forum post mentioned that the Poser dev team was gone before the sale, does anyone know what happened with them?

I suspect that might be refering to the previous team, ie the US based developers that were let go well over a year ago. The new developers are in Portugal, and were responsible for all of the graphics software SM had, eg Moho and Motion Artists, as well as Poser. The new team was supposed to work on all of those, and if SM intends to keep this staff, then it will move the developers onto those other packages. That would mean Rendo would have to hire a whole new set of staff.

I'm pretty sure the Poser team in Portugal is gone. They're hiring for mobile developers in that location now. There's been several job postings on LinkedIn since last week.

That is useful info that I didn't know. Thanks.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Finlaena said:
    Toonces said:

I think Rendo acknlowedges Daz Studio as the market leader (when compared to Poser). They probably don't want to do anything to alienate Daz customers, which I'm guessing comprise the majority of their sales.

Therefore it makes sense to keep the Poser announcement low-key.

I always got the impression Rendo barely tolerated the Daz-side of things simply because of the money sales from those items brought in, and if they were given a chance, they'd purge DS content from their store. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens later on down the line if they're truly serious about this purchase.

Anyhow, I tried Poser and it's just... eughhhh. Not to mention I've got a ton of G8 content that can't be used in it. If they were able to make it so Genesis 3-8 content is usable in Poser, then I might be willing to give them a second chance. But as it is right now, DS has just about every feature that Poser used to hype up (dynamics, mostly), so... :T

I don't know why you have that impression. I'm at Rendo OFTEN, including in the Forums and I don't get that vibe at all.

Yeah, I never got that vibe either. They've pretty much embraced Daz content since the get-go.

Laurie

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736

I know Poser Pro 11 is available for a $99 update price. But Poser is of no use to me if I can't work with all Genesis figures. I am still interested to see what happens to Poser now that Renderosity bought it. Renderosity has a whole different approach to things.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    Sempie said:

I have the non-pro Poser 11 which does not support GPUs. I think one of the reasons SuperFly is not as popular as IRay is because of the utter lack of support.

That's it in a nutshell. I just migrated from Poser to Studio last October after 14 years. Other than SnarlyGriblyGrably's (or whatever his name was) EZ Skin 3 and ONE set of Superfly shaders I saw on sale here, there was little, if any, Superfly support. Sure, you could get Cycles shaders to work, but Poser users are going to want native support.

Thing is, I do like Poser. I'd like it to stay alive. I migrated due to lack of current figure support and a fading product library. I managed to squeeze almost every drop of blood out of the Victoria 4 turnip, but I just needed to move on.

• ViallyVially Posts: 343
    rrward said:
    Sempie said:

I have the non-pro Poser 11 which does not support GPUs. I think one of the reasons SuperFly is not as popular as IRay is because of the utter lack of support.

That's it in a nutshell. I just migrated from Poser to Studio last October after 14 years. Other than SnarlyGriblyGrably's (or whatever his name was) EZ Skin 3 and ONE set of Superfly shaders I saw on sale here, there was little, if any, Superfly support. Sure, you could get Cycles shaders to work, but Poser users are going to want native support.

Thing is, I do like Poser. I'd like it to stay alive. I migrated due to lack of current figure support and a fading product library. I managed to squeeze almost every drop of blood out of the Victoria 4 turnip, but I just needed to move on.

That is pretty much the reason I made the move from Poser to Studio. Mine also included "Tired of having to support 2 libraries of content, 1 for studio, (where a person bought higher quality products, never used) one for Poser, (same products able to work in Poser with the DSon Converter.) Find the iRay images and shaders MUCH better than anything the Poser comunity ever presented. Been with Studio about a year now.

That said, now I find I'm finding myself opening Poser again (before I know about the buyout,) because, well it does POSING and Animations So much better than Studio, and I miss that aspect.

I think the buyout could be a win/win IF DAZ and Rendo can work together. Poser was simply leaps ahead of Studio in many aspects that Studio just didn't seem to be interested in, now though they appear (at least on the surface,) to be attempting to swim in the same pool. I am interested and watching to see what happens.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited June 2019

That said, now I find I'm finding myself opening Poser again (before I know about the buyout,) because, well it does POSING and Animations So much better than Studio, and I miss that aspect.

I was a poser animator since poser 3 even doing much paid commercial work with  it . 

With the animate2 ,Graphmate and keyMate addons
    ( all now owned by Daz) Poser cannot compete with Daz studio for animation today...........Not even  close
    Poser has no nonlinear motion clip system like animate2
    posers graph editor is extremely primitive compared to graphmate
    as it cannot even display more than one parameter at a time like DS graph Mate

and its lipsinc "talkdesigner" only works with the horrible
    SM native figures that no one ever used IIRC.

I had partially migrated to DS for animation back in the 
    DS  2.x & aniMate 1.x days,
    But promptly and dumped Poser when I moved over to windows and got Iclone pro 5.5  for motionbuilding and BVH export to DS 4.x.

bend ,twist side.png
    1200 x 805 - 533K
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited June 2019
    3drendero said:
    3drendero said:
    So maybe the dev team moved with Poser? It was mentioned that they were working on Poser 12, a new team would need more time to start up...

From Portugal? I would guess that team was laid off and development on poser was ending. I would think at best Rendo would get whatever code they were working on at the time, but a whole dev team to go with it? That would require a huge investment of money. From the way poser assets were being offloaded from SM, it seems Rendo **had** to buy to keep it from disappearing rather than buying it so build it up. There's not much to the press release, and it probably would be a good thing that they keep the announcement without much fanfare until they look at the code and see what they can do with it, rather than make big promises that they may not be able to keep.

Not physically moved from Europe to USA, just included in the deal. Even with the source code, 3D engine coding is hard and needs skilled coders that know something about 3D. Right now it looks like a new team needs to be hired and start from scratch, if there even will be any more updates.

Yeah, considering the financial shape of SM, they're not handing out developers... just turning over the code.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    Sempie said:
    Sempie said:

(I do hope they don't jump on the GeForce band wagon; can't afford these pricey power GPUs - one of the reasons I use Poser rather than DAZ Studio.)

Poser is already on the Nvidia bandwagon with Superfly, it has a Nvida mode as well as a CPU mode.. just like Iray. It just didn't take off like Iray did and hasn't been updated to support the newer GPUs.

I have the non-pro Poser 11 which does not support GPUs. I think one of the reasons SuperFly is not as popular as IRay is because of the utter lack of support. Colm Jackson did some marvelous lighting products for Firefly (Render Studio, IDL studio, etc) but jumped ship to iRay. Terradome 2 is useless in Superfly because of the complex terrain shaders, and Terradome 3 is iRay only. There's only a few shader preset sets for SuperFly, and, as far as I know, not a single commercial lighting set. We're left to figure it out ourselves. And I've never been any good with lights.

One of the things that went wrong with Poser 11 was the fact that people like Colm Jackson, Snarlygribbly, Semidieu, Bagginsbill and others basically retreated from the Poser scene. Probably mostly because Poser 11 did not support the older python scrips and shaders and they would have needed to start from scratch again.

Lack of support probably from the the ease of use, but I wouldn't blame vendors for it. The fact that it GPU rendering wasn't available across all versions and it was tied into the material without any examples of how to use it would be key. Iray shipped with a library of shaders and a simple conversion script to help users to learn it.

3drendero said:
    Sempie said:

(I do hope they don't jump on the GeForce band wagon; can't afford these pricey power GPUs - one of the reasons I use Poser rather than DAZ Studio.)

Poser is already on the Nvidia bandwagon with Superfly, it has a Nvida mode as well as a CPU mode.. just like Iray. It just didn't take off like Iray did and hasn't been updated to support the newer GPUs.

Superfly is based on Blender Cycles, which is opensource. Nvidia RTX 20x0 gfx card support was added to Cycles in 2018 December. Another reason why a Poser 11.2 or 12 update is needed very soon...

I know what superfly is based on and what card it uses. Cycles should have been directly imported rather than creating this branch where it's no longer maintained. 

• SempieSempie Posts: 651
    edited June 2019
    Sempie said:

Lack of support probably from the the ease of use, but I wouldn't blame vendors for it.

Is that so?

All DAZ Studio characters and sets come wirh iRay shaders as presets.

For the older ones that don't, there are utilities for tweaking 3Delight Shaders into IRay shaders.

Only a very few Poser characters come with SuperFly shaders, not to mention the sets. EZSkin 3 is a quick fix for the characters, but as far as sets, clothing and props are concerned, that's a lot of extra tweaking - assuming you even know what you're doing in the first place. I certainly don't know my way around complex node based shaders. I can tweak some materials with VinceBagna's presets and that's basically it.

And being terrible at lighting I always relied on existing lighting sets vor FireFly, with some minor tweaking.

No such thing for SuperFly.

Quite honestly; I find Reality less of a hustle than SuperFly.

(I come from traditional handdrawn animation on paper and I prefer the technical stuff to be solved by people who actually know what they're doing; I like software to be as invisible a tool as it can possibly be...Many of the nifty solutions for FireFly came from generous hobbyists like Bagginsbill and Snarlygribbly, not from Smith Micro, Rosity, etc, by the way. Ever since Poser 5, the Poser policy was: here's the material room, here's no tutorials whatsoever, please figure it out for yourselves...)

Post edited by Sempie on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Sempie, if you are looking for a Superfly studio, try searching for Superfly studio at the new Poser 11 owners site. ;)
    3drendero said:
    Sempie, if you are looking for a Superfly studio, try searching for Superfly studio at the new Poser 11 owners site. ;)

OK, Cool, thanks, missed that one, somehow....

Sempie said:
    Sempie said:

Lack of support probably from the the ease of use, but I wouldn't blame vendors for it.

Is that so?

All DAZ Studio characters and sets come wirh iRay shaders as presets.

For the older ones that don't, there are utilities for tweaking 3Delight Shaders into IRay shaders.

Only a very few Poser characters come with SuperFly shaders, not to mention the sets. EZSkin 3 is a quick fix for the characters, but as far as sets, clothing and props are concerned, that's a lot of extra tweaking - assuming you even know what you're doing in the first place. I certainly don't know my way around complex node based shaders. I can tweak some materials with VinceBagna's presets and that's basically it.

And being terrible at lighting I always relied on existing lighting sets vor FireFly, with some minor tweaking.

No such thing for SuperFly.

But the sample shaders and converters for Iray came from DAZ3D, NOT the vendors, hence my comments. PAs had something to go on because DAZ3D is invested in their PAs and helping them succeed. From that initial library we could learn how to make our own shaders and then roll them out with the characters. Poser vendors didn't have the same opportunites to learn Superfly shaders as the program was simply released and the vendors had to fend for themselves, hence the lack of shaders because they didn't have the resources to properly learn them. 

Yes, I guess so.

I remember FireFly shaders for V4 characters relying in part on the presets Bagginsbill (VSS) and Snarlygribbly (EZSkin) did. Also Dreamlandmodels based their wet tarmac and snow shaders on Bagginsbill and Snarlyscribbly (Snow Machine). Without a few poser gurus inventing those things for free, Poser's shader system for Firefly would have never been used to its potential. And with these gurus mostly gone Superfly remained undiscovered country.

No such aid from Curious Labs, E-Frontier or Smith Micro. They left it up to the Poser Community to do it - partly for free.

Hopefully the new owners at Renderosity will do a better job at communicating with the content creators.

• I think this is great news for the Poser community, and I hope it means great things in the future.  I haven't used Poser since Iray came along, but Poser was my first love and still holds a nostalgic place in my heart.  I'd really love to see it flourish again.  I remember when I first started using it, the Rendo Poser forums were jam-packed with information, how-to's, and freebies to make Poser awesome.

The Iray vs Superfly conversation is part of why I transitioned to Studio.  The average Studio user was getting great results with Iray right off the bat, including myself, but only the gurus were getting okay results with Superfly.  And then V7 promptly arrived, while Poser's offering was Pauline... 

I hope new developers look at the big reasons why so many users have left Poser for Studio instead of just listening to the diehards.  There's a lot of valuable information to take away in those why's.

Morana said:

I think this is great news for the Poser community, and I hope it means great things in the future.  I haven't used Poser since Iray came along, but Poser was my first love and still holds a nostalgic place in my heart.  I'd really love to see it flourish again.  I remember when I first started using it, the Rendo Poser forums were jam-packed with information, how-to's, and freebies to make Poser awesome.

The Iray vs Superfly conversation is part of why I transitioned to Studio.  The average Studio user was getting great results with Iray right off the bat, including myself, but only the gurus were getting okay results with Superfly.  And then V7 promptly arrived, while Poser's offering was Pauline... 

I hope new developers look at the big reasons why so many users have left Poser for Studio instead of just listening to the diehards.  There's a lot of valuable information to take away in those why's.

I agree completely and suggested that myself over there. Got slammed for it, but I did suggest it ;). It's in their best interest to know why we're not using Poser anymore.

Laurie

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736

Until Renderosity releases an official notice about their Poser intentions, all we can do is speculater. I'm leaving this thread. I'll look around later to see if there is an official announcement somewhere.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,444

I have mixed feelings. I hadn't used Poser in years. I recently installed Poser 10 on my iMac. It didn't work properly. I didn't bother troubleshooting. I got an email about the topic, and wondered why. DAZ has been my only 3D Art community for many years. I won't bother speculating. I'd likely need to pay a hefty upgrade fee to move from Poser 10 to the latest version.

$99 for Poser Pro 11

Standard Poser 11 has officially been discontinued, as I had suspected: As from now, Pro is the only way to go.

https://www.renderosity.com/poser-at-renderosity-cms-21497?article_id=21497&page_number=3

If there will only be a Pro-version for Poser 12 I hope they will keep it affordable,

I can't afford $300/$400 for upgrading. Actually, not even $200;- (Bought my Poser 11 Standard during a flash sale for $50,-. And then ate instant noodles for the rest of the month.)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i seeing only thr pro version on rossy

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Sempie said:

Standard Poser 11 has officially been discontinued, as I had suspected: As from now, Pro is the only way to go.

https://www.renderosity.com/poser-at-renderosity-cms-21497?article_id=21497&page_number=3

If there will only be a Pro-version for Poser 12 I hope they will keep it affordable,

I can't afford $300/$400 for upgrading. Actually, not even $200;- (Bought my Poser 11 Standard during a flash sale for $50,-. And then ate instant noodles for the rest of the month.)

Oh.  +1

edited June 2019
    Sempie said:

There was a post on another site where someone asked Jenn Blake directly if Poser Pro was going to be it. She said yes, only Poser Pro (which I think is a good idea btw...only one version to have to upkeep and support) and that they are going to price it like regular Poser so that more ppl can afford it. Hope that helps. Now, I didn't hear that from Jenn herself, but the person that posted it did. So take it for what it is ;). I've gotten every pro version since PP12, so it's going to be a drop in price for me. I just hope Bondware is up for the challenge of software development on the scope it's going to take for Poser.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • wfbp1wwfbp1w Posts: 25

I think, without Genesis 3 / 8 and duf. File support, poser is a dead! Not to speak about instances and so on, I still use poser 2014 as a main program, I didn't buy Poser 11 because of the unsupported genesis 3 figures and will not upgrade to any other version if there is no genesis 3/8 support. I still got slowly familiar with DAZ studio, but prefer my old Poser version. Fortunately DAZ can easy convert and export the most of the stuff to poser, only textures had to be tweaked. (I use a few Genesis 3 clothes and hair on Genesis 2 figures) So I hope that with "rendo" Poser 12 will get into "state of art" (It’s just a hope)

• GlenWebb said:
    Finlaena said:
    Toonces said:

I think Rendo acknlowedges Daz Studio as the market leader (when compared to Poser). They probably don't want to do anything to alienate Daz customers, which I'm guessing comprise the majority of their sales.

Therefore it makes sense to keep the Poser announcement low-key.

I always got the impression Rendo barely tolerated the Daz-side of things simply because of the money sales from those items brought in, and if they were given a chance, they'd purge DS content from their store. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens later on down the line if they're truly serious about this purchase.

Anyhow, I tried Poser and it's just... eughhhh. Not to mention I've got a ton of G8 content that can't be used in it. If they were able to make it so Genesis 3-8 content is usable in Poser, then I might be willing to give them a second chance. But as it is right now, DS has just about every feature that Poser used to hype up (dynamics, mostly), so... :T

I honesty can't see the fine folks at Rendo throwing their Daz vendors to the curb. I mean, I suppose they could. It would be a win for Daz, but I just cannot see them refusing their vendors who specialize in Daz content. Almost all of my Rendo purchases from the last 3 or 4 years have been items that are Daz Studio specific. They have a crap-ton of vendors who are profitting from Daz related/specific items. They would lose vendors and lose customers by refusing Daz content in their store.

It would not be a win for Daz. Many of the vendors over there (for whatever reasons) do not want to work with Daz. So if Rendo dropped Daz content (not gonna happen) then those vendors would move on to CGBYTES or or possibly Hive3D.  

Hivewire 3d narrowed their catalog to those products supporting their characters, so any Genesis characters creators would not be picked up there.....probably.
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    AllenArt said:
    Sempie said:

There was a post on another site where someone asked Jenn Blake directly if Poser Pro was going to be it. She said yes, only Poser Pro (which I think is a good idea btw...only one version to have to upkeep and support) and that they are going to price it like regular Poser so that more ppl can afford it. Hope that helps. Now, I didn't hear that from Jenn herself, but the person that posted it did. So take it for what it is ;). I've gotten every pro version since PP12, so it's going to be a drop in price for me. I just hope Bondware is up for the challenge of software development on the scope it's going to take for Poser.

Laurie

Don't forget that just because there is a basic and pro version that it means there are two programs to develop/maintain. That is rarely true in any software development these days. The basic version is exactly the same as the pro except that certain functions are disabled in the base version, which is very easy to do. I would be amazed if this was not true for Poser. 

If Poser Pro is indeed the only one going forward, that is likely to be a marketing decision, not a technical consideration.

edited June 2019

Poser 11 Standard has the same installer as Poser 11 Pro. The serial key decides which functions are enabled/disabled. (The Fitting Room ao)

Poser 11 Standard even has the library content that is supposed to be Pro only.

For upgrading I would just need a serial number.

Post edited by Sempie on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    From another forum, an email response stated that the new owners plan to update Poser in the future, but that they are new at this. I guess it means that time and patience is needed...
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

I have not used Poser in years but used to love it.

I think Poser has found a lovely new home as Renderosity still cares for their poser customers and I have a feeling that they will make Poser shine once again.

Will it get to its old glory from many moons ago before DS really got into the game, I doubt it, but I am sure Renderosity will do a better job then SM did.

• I am a Renderosity Vendor, currently only create characters for G8M.
    All vendors have been informed that Renderosity will continue to make products available not only to Poser and Daz, but to other 3D software. We will not be expelled! ;)
    Personally I am willing to learn to develop products for both (Daz / Poser).

Even if Poser creates a new male figure ("El Macho" would be an interesting name xD hahaha), I hope I can adapt my characters to both figures.

I am a Renderosity Vendor, currently only create characters for G8M.
    All vendors have been informed that Renderosity will continue to make products available not only to Poser and Daz, but to other 3D software. We will not be expelled! ;)
    Personally I am willing to learn to develop products for both (Daz / Poser).

I'm surprised that you even had to state that out loud. Considering how much DAZ products have been carrying that store, genesis products bought the Poser product. It would be ludicrious to dump DAZ products without even knowing if the code can be easily modified by an internet marketing company.