What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,194

And a new version, with distance mist, some trees moved around, the chimp's lips actually together like they should be...

Reveille

Shantying

I feel like the scene is still a little bare, so I may add a few more onlookers to fill it out some more. I spent a REALLY long time trying to get Sahira's dress to dForce the way I wanted it to, and it's still not there, but I guess it's good enough.

edited June 2020

My job consists almost entirely of just sitting at a table and staring at my phone, which has put a real damper on my Dazzing time. Over the weekend, I picked up a refurbished 5th-gen Surface Pro, so now I can actually put scenes together. Here are a couple things I’ve thrown together so far, that will be fleshed out at home:

Oso’s Rakshasa as a portrait of Shere Khan (the TaleSpin version, obviously), that I want to mess around with in Photoshop to see if I can make it look like an oil painting. 

This one I simply titled “Bonefinder General”. 

C4953791-B503-45FD-8B5E-B81A94731ADC.png
    486 x 713 - 485K
    DBD54BB4-3DE9-48CB-9EB6-8CDB80DB8114.png
    486 x 502 - 515K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Another work project. I put the new Fi character on a unicorn, then applied Nightmare textures to it, then converted those to Iray and put the diffuse maps in the emissive parameters. Did a quick sim on just her hair (but not the dForce mane and tail yet), and played around with settings to get the look I'm after. Here are three different versions, and I like different aspects of all three. The first, I accidentally left the headlamp on, so it's the clearest and most evenly lit. The second, I cranked the exposure settings, so the horse's emissives are going crazy, but I could maybe edit the textures so only the "veins" are giving off light, but I like how generally dark and kind of sinister it looks. For the third, I added a Terraluna HDRI, so I didn't have to crank the exposure nearly as much to see things clearly.

finicorn headlamp.png
    600 x 450 - 590K
    finicorn cranked.png
    600 x 450 - 491K
    finicorn hdri.png
    600 x 450 - 615K

I'm also using Bramble to make a toonier Link than the one I've been using.

Bramblink.png
    338 x 601 - 175K

And Petunia (at about 75%) makes a pretty decent Zelda.

Petunizelda.png
    338 x 601 - 218K
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,783

It's Take Your Daughter to Work Day!

That's a beefed up Vlad, right? He's been sitting in my wishlist forever and he's scratching impatiently at the Add to Cart button...

How did you get his loincloth that way?

Hylas said:

It's Take Your Daughter to Work Day!

That's a beefed up Vlad, right? He's been sitting in my wishlist forever and he's scratching impatiently at the Add to Cart button...

How did you get his loincloth that way?

Vlad's in there, but it's something like Brute, Vlad and some other character(s) at 50% each. The body's all Brute.

How did I get his loincloth what way?

Furry! Is it displacement, strand based hair, or something else...

That’s the default texture for one of the dForce Loincloths (Heroic, if memory serves), and I believe those predate dForce hair, so it’s most likely displacement. 

edited June 2020

Something I'm playing with at work. I love the range of emotions on display: the boy is having the time of his life, the mom is horrified, the father concerned, and the employee is making barely above minimum wage and could not possibly care less how anyone feels about it. Meanwhile, @Hylas is freaking out because of the contrast between the toons and the realistic dinosaur. I may swap Toon Larry out for either Toon Hero or Boyfriend, possibly aged down to a teenager, because I don't really like the way Larry meshes with the scene. I also need to flesh out the background, but that's a problem for another time.

T-ride rough.png
    600 x 800 - 766K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited June 2020

I guess I'm in a dino mood, because I've been piecing this together for the last few days:

I might dial back the guy's expression...just a little bit.

I've also got a scene using Oso's Mosasaurus that's done except for the lighting, which is always a nightmare for underwater scenes.

RPS rough.png
    1000 x 563 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited June 2020

I literally said "time to get stupid" out loud before I started putting this together.

Beartaur rough.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on

NOPE

Hylas said:

NOPE

Are you suggesting that it was not, in fact, time to get stupid?

*weeps uncontrollably*

Hylas said:

*weeps uncontrollably*

I mean, don’t look now, but there’s probably one of those under your bed as we speak. 

... and so I gather my few remaining belongings, calmly. I turn my head to take one last look at the setting sun, its faint red light fighting a losing battle against the evening smog, sweet as tangerines even now. I set my jaw and walk forward, my head held high, dignified. Behind me, the gates of the Asylum close.

Raptor Parcel Service

Terrifyingly Fast Delivery®

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    Gordig said:

I literally said "time to get stupid" out loud before I started putting this together.

I LOVE IT!

Gordig said:

I LOVE IT!

The image/idea itself, or my thought process?

Belly Rub

My most extensively postworked render so far, in that I finally figured out how to use depth canvases for various effects. I put a little lens blur on the environment to create DOF after the fact, and since I couldn't find an underwater HDRI that actually looked convincingly like an underwater scene, I just grabbed a regular image, maxed out the contrast on the depth map and slapped that on top. 

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    Gordig said:

The image/idea itself, or my thought process?

The combo of the two! 

Gordig said:

Belly Rub

My most extensively postworked render so far, in that I finally figured out how to use depth canvases for various effects. I put a little lens blur on the environment to create DOF after the fact, and since I couldn't find an underwater HDRI that actually looked convincingly like an underwater scene, I just grabbed a regular image, maxed out the contrast on the depth map and slapped that on top. 

Very cool render!

Did you see this one? https://www.deviantart.com/namtaar/art/Underwater-Hdri-805776729

I have it, but for some reason it didn't show up in the render for me.

Take Your Daughter to Berserk has now overtaken Good Boy as my most-liked render in the Daz gallery, and I’m thrilled because the former is maybe my favorite render I’ve ever done, while the latter was just some dumb thing I threw together. My proclivities don’t get vindicated often, but it’s nice when they are. 

edited June 2020

Just completed my first prop, modeled from scratch in C4D and rigged in DS. I find DS's rigging process fairly baffling, but I worked through it enough to get this done. Please give it a try and give me any feedback you might have. It's untextured, so I just threw a different metal shader on each of the parts for demonstration purposes.

zip
    zip
    Switcheroos.zip
    Toggle.png
    1000 x 1000 - 485K
    Post edited by Gordig on