[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960
    This is great. Can't wait
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

There is also the issue that, unfortunately, GenX is no longer actually supported. Apart from what video tuts exist, and people who answer questions in the forums.

Now, if something like this were available to transfer the morphs of pre-G3 characters, It would be *very* helpful for anyone who is maintaining characters in a series that they want to keep as current as they can.

Admittedly, it might not cover *all* of the bases that GenX did. I got reasonably good (certainly usable) results converting a couple of Sparky's anthromorphs to G1 and G2M, and those are pretty extreme. And I don't think anyone is going to expect it to handle geographs. But most of the characters people are going to want to transfer are likely to be human characters. We've got some pretty good solutions for the textures, but something that would handle the whole morph collection would make things a good deal easier.

Quick question: Does this depend upon metadata and products that were installed by some method *other* than manually? I remember that the first clothing converters wanted things that were installed through DIM.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

Will buy this. All I need now is a Sunday release ;-)

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371
    Hylas said:
    Hylas said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

I struggled for a bit on what I wanted to make at first.  I decided I didn't want to make a convert-morphs product. 

I don't understand. If this product doesn't convert morphs and not UV's, what does it do?

I have to admit this is my query as well, along with - will there be a G8 Male version?

It DOES convert morphs, but instead of "here is a list of morphs, choose which ones, (think GenX2)" it concentrates on making it easy to just select a character and it will convert the used morphs for that character.

Got it! yes

This looks like a really cool product! If this is going to be a series of products like your hair and clothing converters... I'd be very interested in a version that converts G2 and Genesis characters to G8! (Getting way ahead again, so sorry!smiley)

Interesting.  That is two people that have written that they are interested in earlier generations.  I would have thought that that market would have already been fulfilled by other offerings and nobody would want earlier generations.

Do you mean that there already are ways to transfer preG3 characters up to G3? Perhaps I didn't do my due diligence. I'm aware of the GenX products, although I don't own them (yet). So by using your upcoming G3 -> G8 products together with GenX, I suppose one could get anything up to G8?

I meant this.  

Hylas said:

Or do you mean that there isn't any interest in preG3 characters? I don't think that's true. I find Michael 5 rather hadsome, I think it'd be fun to have him amongst my G8 characters. And I picked up Azumi for Aiko 5 when it was a bi-weekly freebie, she looks intriguing. Sure, G8 has its own share of white hunks and Asian women... but it would still be fun to also have those older models! I don't know, I guess I'm greedy like that :)

This is great. Can't wait

laugh

JOdel said:

There is also the issue that, unfortunately, GenX is no longer actually supported. Apart from what video tuts exist, and people who answer questions in the forums.

Now, if something like this were available to transfer the morphs of pre-G3 characters, It would be *very* helpful for anyone who is maintaining characters in a series that they want to keep as current as they can.

Admittedly, it might not cover *all* of the bases that GenX did. I got reasonably good (certainly usable) results converting a couple of Sparky's anthromorphs to G1 and G2M, and those are pretty extreme. And I don't think anyone is going to expect it to handle geographs. But most of the characters people are going to want to transfer are likely to be human characters. We've got some pretty good solutions for the textures, but something that would handle the whole morph collection would make things a good deal easier.

Quick question: Does this depend upon metadata and products that were installed by some method *other* than manually? I remember that the first clothing converters wanted things that were installed through DIM.

That is a good point.  Support, especially for something like conversion, is crucial, as there are a lot of questions smiley

For the main character conversion script, the metadata is used like the other conversion scripts.  The script uses it to collect a list of characters.  By using unchecked "Check Content Type" and Add Files, you can add any file.  You may have to use Force Convert for truly bad metadata (though I found no issue with that).  For the custom character conversion script, it is just using what morphs are used on a character in a scene, no metadata needed.  

Will buy this. All I need now is a Sunday release ;-)

THAT I can't control. smiley

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861

Wow, another must have for me.

Artini said:

Wow, another must have for me.

Good to hear! smiley

• missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918
    Hylas said:

I think that there would be an audience, since GenX basically transfers morphs rather than characters.

Not to highjack this thread completely, but could you explain what this means?

With GenX, you check the morphs that you want to transfer between generations, so "nose size" or "Victoria 5 head," etc. Then those morph dials become available on the target generation figure.

Sounds like this, on the other hand, will transfer the entire character you have highlighted, so your character could have a bunch of morphs, and all those active morphs (including JCMs, if activated) would be transferred, plus a resulting dial for just that character. So this would be easier to transfer custom characters or characters in the store that are based on existing morph packs (see Saiyaness's characters). With GenX, you'd have to find out which morph dials were being used, transfer those morphs, and then apply the value of each morph dial to the new generation to get the same character. With this product, you can easily get the character transferred.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

WOW! You're the scripting machine! laugh

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

I struggled for a bit on what I wanted to make at first.  I decided I didn't want to make a convert-morphs product. 

I don't understand. If this product doesn't convert morphs and not UV's, what does it do?

I have to admit this is my query as well, along with - will there be a G8 Male version?

It DOES convert morphs, but instead of "here is a list of morphs, choose which ones, (think GenX2)" it concentrates on making it easy to just select a character and it will convert the used morphs for that character.

Thank you.

Sounds as if it will be very useful.

• Yes, this looks like something I would make use of... though I really look forward to seeing a male version of this, since I tend much more towards having male characters than female ones.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,149
    edited July 2019
    Hylas said:

I think that there would be an audience, since GenX basically transfers morphs rather than characters.

With GenX, you check the morphs that you want to transfer between generations, so "nose size" or "Victoria 5 head," etc. Then those morph dials become available on the target generation figure.

Sounds like this, on the other hand, will transfer the entire character you have highlighted, so your character could have a bunch of morphs, and all those active morphs (including JCMs, if activated) would be transferred, plus a resulting dial for just that character. So this would be easier to transfer custom characters or characters in the store that are based on existing morph packs (see Saiyaness's characters). With GenX, you'd have to find out which morph dials were being used, transfer those morphs, and then apply the value of each morph dial to the new generation to get the same character. With this product, you can easily get the character transferred.

But of course you can create a single morph using GenX2, so you can convert a full character as far as Genesis 3 that way.

ETA: Mind you, I'm not saying I'd complain about having a fully supported RiverSoftArt alternative! This looks like a useful product for me too.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

Since I've got a character library of something like 100 characters  built on the G1 base, that I use in my illustrations. I would be very interested in being able to port the specific dial-spins up to G8. I'd probably just try to find new textures for them (although I would at least give one of the UV transfer utilities a try first).

The only potential snag is that I install everything manually. I do install the Support files from products purchased here, but I don't use DIM or connect.

In any case, it looks promising enough that it might be worth purchasing for a test case, and if it doesn't work on manually installed items, then retun it. I do have a handful of G3 characters which would do as lab rats.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
    edited July 2019

A number of the characters I use are also built from non-DIM stuff, bought or got from other places, so yeah, I also hope this works without everything having to have been installed through the DIM.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
    Hylas said:

Nice summary.  Thanks.  smiley

dawnblade said:

WOW! You're the scripting machine! laugh

Thanks.  I hope you will enjoy it!

scorpio said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

Thank you.

Sounds as if it will be very useful.

I hope so smiley  I certainly have found it useful to move a few favorite characters to G8F.

Yes, this looks like something I would make use of... though I really look forward to seeing a male version of this, since I tend much more towards having male characters than female ones.

Good.  As I wrote before, I do plan the male version.

MelanieL said:
    Hylas said:

But of course you can create a single morph using GenX2, so you can convert a full character as far as Genesis 3 that way.

ETA: Mind you, I'm not saying I'd complain about having a fully supported RiverSoftArt alternative! This looks like a useful product for me too.

smiley  

JOdel said:

Since I've got a character library of something like 100 characters  built on the G1 base, that I use in my illustrations. I would be very interested in being able to port the specific dial-spins up to G8. I'd probably just try to find new textures for them (although I would at least give one of the UV transfer utilities a try first).

The only potential snag is that I install everything manually. I do install the Support files from products purchased here, but I don't use DIM or connect.

In any case, it looks promising enough that it might be worth purchasing for a test case, and if it doesn't work on manually installed items, then retun it. I do have a handful of G3 characters which would do as lab rats.

If the "Add Directory" cannot find them (because of missing metadata), you can uncheck "Check Content Type" and add them manually.  Once it is in the list, it shouldn't be a problem.  And absolute worst case, just load the character in a scene and use the Convert Custom Character script.

A number of the characters I use are also built from non-DIM stuff, bought or got from other places, so yeah, I also hope this works without everything having to have been installed through the DIM.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

I'm looking forward to the G8 Male version. I'm also interested in earlier generations. I did buy GenX, but it's no longer supported, as is mentioned above. I do have many characters that I made using M4. So, a product that would convert M4s to G8 Males would be highly welcome, even if it didn't include texture files. Someone above did request M4, so I'm just seconding this. Thank you very much for saying you are planning a G8 Male version.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097
    stuthurso said:

It may be worth mentioning that there is a product that will help with this problem already in the store:  

"Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout."

It's from RedzStudio (and DazOriginals so you should be able to use the $6 off Daz Original coupon you get monthly if you are a Platinum Club member):  

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

There is also a Male version if or when RiverSoftArt creates a version of the script for them wink

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-male

I have the male version. And, yes, these do work very nicely.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779
    Hylas said:

Thanks for the explanation!

Sounds like products that transfer earlier generations would be redundant, strictly speaking. But as someone who doesn't already own GenX and works with G8 exclusively, a new product that transfers directly to G8 would still be more interesting than an old product that requires several steps.

inquire said:

I'm looking forward to the G8 Male version. I'm also interested in earlier generations. I did buy GenX, but it's no longer supported, as is mentioned above. I do have many characters that I made using M4. So, a product that would convert M4s to G8 Males would be highly welcome, even if it didn't include texture files. Someone above did request M4, so I'm just seconding this. Thank you very much for saying you are planning a G8 Male version.

Ok, I will keep that in mind.

Hylas said:
    Hylas said:

Thanks for the explanation!

Sounds like products that transfer earlier generations would be redundant, strictly speaking. But as someone who doesn't already own GenX and works with G8 exclusively, a new product that transfers directly to G8 would still be more interesting than an old product that requires several steps.

Thank you for the information.  

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

This is fantastic, RiverSoft! I can't wait this product from you. laugh

I don't know if it's possible, but it'd be great to be able to transfer characters from G8 male to G8 female, as well (and vice versa). I like to make androgynous characters.

This is fantastic, RiverSoft! I can't wait this product from you. laugh

I am glad to hear it!  laugh

I don't know if it's possible, but it'd be great to be able to transfer characters from G8 male to G8 female, as well (and vice versa). I like to make androgynous characters.

I will have to look into it.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    Hylas said:

Nice summary.  Thanks.  smiley

In your initial description you are stating that JCMs are not transferred, and yet in the summary above (which you agreed with) it is surmising that JCMs are transferred. Which is true?