[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371
    N3p3nth3 said:
    Finlaena said:

Oh, awesome! Thank goodness this is payday week, too, ahaha. 

On first glance? It might not be the all-in-one Generation X successor that some of us would have hoped for, but I'm just happy there's finally some sort of official character conversion tool out there that I know won't crash DS every time I try to use it. Count me in as someone who'd love to see a G8M version, and I'll do my part to make sure that's a reality.

That said... I'm curious to see how this will handle GenX'ed characters from earlier generations (i.e. Laura 3 to Genesis 3 Female), like if they have the same fidelity or if it's like making a photocopy from a pre-existing photocopy (i.e. bad bends, warped morphs when posing), etc. But given the already amazing quality of RiverSoft's scripts, I don't imagine that would be an issue, if at all. 

I have never used GenX (though I bought it).  I am sure it will be a copy of a copy type thing, though it might not be noticeable.  If you are happy with the GenX shape, you should be happy with the CC shape in G8.

I'll do some tests with genx. As I mentioned earlier here, I tried genx with 3 V4 characters and had fairly poor results out of the box with all of them (I'm a new user, so everything I've done is in the last two months). All the characters I got bad results with used morphs++, though, so I picked up a bunch of "vanilla" v4 characters yesterday and will see if I get better fidelity with those. I'll see if I can post renders of a couple of different scenarios both for the purposes of this product and to attempt to convince the author of the necessity of a V4->G8 conversion tool ;)

That said, I'm on a macbook pro, so iray takes time. :)

LOL. laugh  Please do post your results!

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    I have a couple of questions:. 1) does this make smart content/content library entries for the converted characters or just morph dials and 2) what is the difference between this one and the one that Zevo is about to release?
    This is exciting. And you can add me to the list pf people who would be interested in conversion of males and earlier generations. I had that texture transfer tool for my V4 skins and some other geograph thing from here. They are hard for me to use. This looks like it should work easier for someone like me. I've used a lot of your converters for other things so if this works as well/easy as those I would def be interested in other generations. I used V4 before. I only dabbled in Genesis until G3. I love G8 more than I thought I would. This item will solve a problem I had last night when the chatacter I wanted to use was G3 but I needed G8. Plus, this will help me keep using the same face morph for my OC from G3 on G8.

I think it is easy to use, but others should chime in. 

Any conversion I make for earlier generations will most likely NOT include texture conversion, so seam problems, etc will still be there.

marble said:
    marble said:

First I'll say that I am very tempted to buy this. Having said that, I do notice that the disclaimer which is stated in the OP of this thread does not appear in the promotional blurb:

The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 3 characters.  Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes.  The Character converter script does not copy joint corrective morphs (JCMs) or morph corrective morphs (MCMs) properly, which can cause problems with some poses for your converted characters.  Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout. 

Moreover, though we are encouraged to read the ReadMe, no link to that ReadMe is present on the promo page (unless I missed it, which is entirely possible).

One question I have which has probably been answerd in this thread but I haven't read all the way through it ... does this allow for the natural fitting of clothing and hair from G3F to a converted G8F?

As for the lack of JCMs/MCMs, I have been through all of my G3 poses and converted them to G8 (there are various scripts and products to do this) so I'm guessing that will, to some degree, alleviate the problem for poses? Or does this product somehow change the basic structure of the G8F figure so as to make posing unreliable?

If you click the readme link on the product page (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/62491/start), you should see this under additional details:

The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 3 Female characters. Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes. The Character converter script does not copy joint corrective morphs (JCMs) or morph corrective morphs (MCMs) properly, which can cause problems with some poses for your converted characters. Multi-part characters (e.g., a character that loads a figure and separate horns) cannot be converted. Material presets are also not converted. Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout. Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button.

The converted characters use Genesis *8* clothing, whether native or converted.  To use Genesis 3 Female clothing without using Autofit, you would need to buy my https://www.daz3d.com/clothing-converter-from-genesis-3-female-to-genesis-8-female

The same goes for poses, whether they are native or converted, will not make a difference in how the converted characters handle them.  It is the extremeness of the poses and of the character which will cause problems without JCMs.

Thanks for the answer. I wasn't looking at the product page, I was looking at the store promotion page. The answer about G3F clothing was as expected but I thought I'd check anyway. Thanks again. 

No problem!

Ok, I tried a couple different conversion options for Little Ones, Asian Female.  Out of the box with tolerance equals 0.06, the eyes are a problem:

Turning tolerance down to 0.02, it is better but still not good:

Turning it WAY down to 0.005 gives the best results so far (though still not great):

The eye ridges are still there.  Of course, this is with the head at 100%.  At lesser values and mixed with other morphs, it may look better.  

Little Asian Female.jpg
    1355 x 1775 - 213K
    Little Asian Female (0.06).jpg
    823 x 686 - 87K
    Little Asian Female (0.02).jpg
    1466 x 1481 - 173K
    Little Asian Female (0.005).jpg
    1271 x 1739 - 206K
    Little Asian Female, Closeup (0.005).jpg
    1394 x 1770 - 231K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,860
    edited July 2019
    OffWorld01pic05.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 142K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587

This has been the most informative thread I've ever read in this forum.  I'm so glad that you're investing the time in this product.  I can finally make more use of Ophelia 7 now.  I think I will participate in this one as well.  I will buy and do some experiments and post results.

This is great and good job, RS!!!  We all want most of this for G3M and the like, but we are also willing to wait as long as it takes. :)

• MortzeMortze Posts: 184

Hello,

I tried but found this issue with the materials not converting properly.

The figure is a custom Genesis 3 with Kalea 7 skins.

print.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 265K
    edited July 2019
    dragotx said:
    I have a couple of questions:. 1) does this make smart content/content library entries for the converted characters or just morph dials and 2) what is the difference between this one and the one that Zevo is about to release?
    1. If you use the main script, it creates a character preset and copies the icons and categories from the original G3 character, so yes.
    2. With the caveat that I have only glanced at his post and without a released product cannot even test it, I *think* that his will be more general, concentrating on morphs, and handling hooking the JCMs back up is impressive (though in practice, for normal characters I haven't missed the loss of the custom JCMs).  Mine is more character oriented and targeted for ease of use.  Select the character and convert.  CC converts the morphs, creates the controller property, and creates a new character with copied icons and categories (and transfers the default materials, which could be good or bad smiley).  IMO, I think in practice BOTH will be good to have.  Mine for doing 80% of the characters, and his for the 20% that are the problem childs as well as transferring non-character oriented morphs smiley.  
    Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

This has been the most informative thread I've ever read in this forum.  I'm so glad that you're investing the time in this product.  I can finally make more use of Ophelia 7 now.  I think I will participate in this one as well.  I will buy and do some experiments and post results.

This is great and good job, RS!!!  We all want most of this for G3M and the like, but we are also willing to wait as long as it takes. :)

Thank you!  

edited July 2019
    Mortze said:

Hello,

This is a known limitation.  The script copies the materials from G3 to G8 but does not convert them or change the UV mapping, which can cause seams such as here.  A product such as https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female should help (it specifically mentions Kalea)

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • Seriously? I just finished my laborious task of transfering my anime characters to Gen3 via Genx, and you go and release a product that just might convince me to invest finally in Gen8. Thanks RiverSoftArt. Wishlisted for now and anxiously awaiting the Gen8 Male converter.
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

The problem is that Daz Original characters before Genesis 8 had unique UVs. Thus the need for a UV converter as @RiverSoftArt mentioned.

Mortze said:

Hello,

Seriously? I just finished my laborious task of transfering my anime characters to Gen3 via Genx, and you go and release a product that just might convince me to invest finally in Gen8. Thanks RiverSoftArt. Wishlisted for now and anxiously awaiting the Gen8 Male converter.

LOL.  laugh  You're welcome!

Ok, I tried a couple different conversion options for Little Ones, Asian Female.  Out of the box with tolerance equals 0.06, the eyes are a problem:

Turning it WAY down to 0.005 gives the best results so far (though still not great):

The eye ridges are still there.  Of course, this is with the head at 100%.  At lesser values and mixed with other morphs, it may look better.  

She seems to be happiest with a tolerance of 0.0005 smiley

Little Asian Female (0.0005).jpg
    1349 x 1706 - 208K
    Little Asian Female, Closeup (0.0005).jpg
    1316 x 1728 - 258K
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 958

This is awesome - I really love what I've seen so far. Only question I have is the 'Save' button on the main dialog box - it seems to just close the box, but does it save the settings from the previous conversion?

And here's my contribution - Bethany 8! :)

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    dragotx said:
    1. If you use the main script, it creates a character preset and copies the icons and categories from the original G3 character, so yes.
    2. With the caveat that I have only glanced at his post and without a released product cannot even test it, I *think* that his will be more general, concentrating on morphs, and handling hooking the JCMs back up is impressive (though in practice, for normal characters I haven't missed the loss of the custom JCMs).  Mine is more character oriented and targeted for ease of use.  Select the character and convert.  CC converts the morphs, creates the controller property, and creates a new character with copied icons and categories (and transfers the default materials, which could be good or bad smiley).  IMO, I think in practice BOTH will be good to have.  Mine for doing 80% of the characters, and his for the 20% that are the problem childs as well as transferring non-character oriented morphs smiley.  

Awesome, that's what I needed to know, thanks! I will definitely be picking this up today.
    evacyn said:

This is awesome - I really love what I've seen so far. Only question I have is the 'Save' button on the main dialog box - it seems to just close the box, but does it save the settings from the previous conversion?

And here's my contribution - Bethany 8! :)

That looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the Save button is to save your settings and most importantly, your progress (which characters have already been converted).

dragotx said:
    dragotx said:

Awesome, that's what I needed to know, thanks! I will definitely be picking this up today.

Great to hear!  I am glad I could answer your questions.

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited July 2019

MollyHD

MollyHD_G3FtoG8F.png
    444 x 720 - 333K
    Post edited by Twilight76 on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited July 2019

I'll be picking this up, but is it safe to assume that it will not transfer HD morphs if a character is using them?

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • I just bought this as I have a few G3 characters that I really miss since converting to Genesis 8.  Trying to convert Fridels Jun character and all I get are warnings.  When I select the Jun folder using the add directories button, I get a "No NEW files detected" warning box and when I drill down to my Jun folder in the My Daz Library folder and select all the .duf files there, I get a warning box stating "No character files detected".  I'm stumped here or I am missing something obvious.  I am doing what the Character Converter .pdf manual says but not working.

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318

I think the error "no Character Files detected" comes when the character is only as "Morph" Files and not the direct loading Character

• MortzeMortze Posts: 184
    Mortze said:

Hello,

This is a known limitation.  The script copies the materials from G3 to G8 but does not convert them or change the UV mapping, which can cause seams such as here.  A product such as https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female should help (it specifically mentions Kalea)

Thank you.

Problem is that most characters (custom) I use have skins from G3 characters that aren't in that content list. It's for all the "Name" 7 characters only and not for Abby https://www.daz3d.com/abby-for-genesis-3-female (just an example).

Do you know any other content that could help me solve the UV maps issue?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    edited July 2019
    Mortze said:
    Mortze said:

Hello,

Thank you.

Problem is that most characters (custom) I use have skins from G3 characters that aren't in that content list. It's for all the "Name" 7 characters only and not for Abby https://www.daz3d.com/abby-for-genesis-3-female (just an example).

Do you know any other content that could help me solve the UV maps issue?

Abby uses the G3F UVs according to the product page, she doesn’t have her own custom UVs... That’s actually the same for most G3F characters, the only exceptions are a few character made especially for a named shape or a creature shape with custom UVs and which use the custom UVs for that shape.

Post edited by Leana on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,902

She seems to be happiest with a tolerance of 0.0005 smiley

So it's possible to use it with pretty extreme morphs? surprise
    I just have to tune the tollereance? laugh

• Erazer941Erazer941 Posts: 1

I have a problem now that all basic Gen3 models will load with a morph ( genx created). Does anybody know why this is happening?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Erazer941 said:

I have a problem now that all basic Gen3 models will load with a morph ( genx created). Does anybody know why this is happening?

This apparently happens when the morph in question has not been saved properly.  You will need to remove it from all the characters manually to stop it happening.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I have a few questions:

(1) I recall SingularBlues having some issues with fingernail and claw morphs warping when they are converted.  How does your script handle fingernails (and toenails)?  Additionally, how about teeth morphs?

(2) As far as maintenance is concerned, I imagine that this script works similarly to your clothing and hair conversion utilities, and I can delete the result.  GenX placed the results on the Shaping tab and had a utility to remove them.  RedzStudio's free script also placed the morphs on the Shaping tab and there was no utility to remove them so they were just stuck there.  I never got the chance to try SingularBlues' version, but I don't recall anything mentioned about deleting conversions that didn't work.

(3) Are your conversions available only in the designated folder or on the Shaping tab?  I have converted some G1 elf ear morphs using GenX to G3 and then used RedzStudio to convert them to G8.  They were available on the Shaping tab but it wasn't a clean method as for the life of me I can't find where they are located to delete/rename any of them.  I'm curious if your script can be used in this way or if the ear morphs would only be available on the converted character.

Lastly, ​I also would be interested in conversions of older characters through V4/M4.