[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    Mortze said:
    Mortze said:

Hello,

I tried but found this issue with the materials not converting properly.

The figure is a custom Genesis 3 with Kalea 7 skins.

This is a known limitation.  The script copies the materials from G3 to G8 but does not convert them or change the UV mapping, which can cause seams such as here.  A product such as https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female should help (it specifically mentions Kalea)

Thank you.

Problem is that most characters (custom) I use have skins from G3 characters that aren't in that content list. It's for all the "Name" 7 characters only and not for Abby https://www.daz3d.com/abby-for-genesis-3-female (just an example).

Do you know any other content that could help me solve the UV maps issue?

You can convert the maps from the custom UV to G3F using Map Transfer (right click on the Surfaces tab inside Daz Studio). This is a lot more work than a one click solution like with this script, but at least you only have to do it once for each custom UV you own. After that just use the new textures instead that have the G3F UV. Note this only handles the texture issues, you still need this script to transfer the morphs.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Ok, I tried a couple different conversion options for Little Ones, Asian Female.  Out of the box with tolerance equals 0.06, the eyes are a problem:

Turning tolerance down to 0.02, it is better but still not good:

Turning it WAY down to 0.005 gives the best results so far (though still not great):

The eye ridges are still there.  Of course, this is with the head at 100%.  At lesser values and mixed with other morphs, it may look better.  

She seems to be happiest with a tolerance of 0.0005 smiley

Thanks for testing with her!  These characters are some that I was/am wondering about.  It is likely that 3DU's other G3 models will need such tweaking for the eyes as well? 

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587

I've seen mention of ZevO's product that will deal with morphs too (glad you all are filling the void left after the passing of the creator of GenX.  They are sorely missed as well).  Anyone has an WIP on ZevO's product?  Seems like that one and these scripts provided by RS is the one-two punch a lot of us needed!

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

I'm reading all of this with great interest. I'm looking forward to the G3M to G8M version, and also to older versions, such as, I hope, a driect M4 to G8 version.

• N3p3nth3N3p3nth3 Posts: 129

Brenna genesis 3 to Brenna genesis 8 was quite successful, as you can see. (original right, genesis 8 left. You can really only tell from the funky eyes on genesis 8, as I didn't update those, and a slightly open mouth on the gen 3). Perfect, and looking forward to bringing over my g3 ladies.

OTOH, my Frankenstein's bride was... less so. Everything seemed to work fine (nothing interesting in the log), even if the conversion took 4 times longer than with Brenna. The body result is just as off ("original", ie. character using both a single dial gen x created morph and a bunch of genesis 3 dials to be as close to the original as possible on left, conversion on right).

brenna to brenna.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 297K
    gen3 ella to gen8.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 285K
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

Looking over the product release page, I'm confused about the overwriting of morphs. Is it the Gen8 morph that will be overwritten? Wouldn't the Gen8 morph, if it already exists, be needed for a Gen8 character? What if you don't overwrite existing morphs -- will that create problems?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited July 2019

Thanks.

Converted MDD Ilumi.

Ilumi01pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 145K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited July 2019

Converted Odelle.

Odelle03pic02.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 138K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 958
    Artini said:

Thanks.

Converted MDD Ilumi.

Looks great! BTW - what outfit it that?

edited July 2019
    Pink02pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 148K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • N3p3nth3N3p3nth3 Posts: 129

And here's a quick and dirty render I did of Genesis 8 Brenna. No issues with the body transfer, as far as I can tell. :)

Exploring a possible user relater problem (aka URP) with GenX, so not quite ready to blame others for that, yet. 

Btw. Brenna's pose here is also converted from G3...

Brenna g8 testi.jpg
    1080 x 1440 - 530K
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 958
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited July 2019

I keep getting the error "failed to save morph asset" - is there anything specific I should -not- include in the character preset as far as morphs go? She's based off Victoria 7 and doesn't have any geografts or anything. The only oddity is that I do have a couple custom-created x-tools morphs that I use for her (isolated Ophelia 7's legs and Georgia's mouth). 

*edit* Even forcing the conversion fails. :(

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371

MollyHD

Looks great!  Thanks for sharing.

I'll be picking this up, but is it safe to assume that it will not transfer HD morphs if a character is using them?

Unfortunately, you are right.  It cannot transfer HD morphs.

I just bought this as I have a few G3 characters that I really miss since converting to Genesis 8.  Trying to convert Fridels Jun character and all I get are warnings.  When I select the Jun folder using the add directories button, I get a "No NEW files detected" warning box and when I drill down to my Jun folder in the My Daz Library folder and select all the .duf files there, I get a warning box stating "No character files detected".  I'm stumped here or I am missing something obvious.  I am doing what the Character Converter .pdf manual says but not working.

I think the error "no Character Files detected" comes when the character is only as "Morph" Files and not the direct loading Character

The script uses metadata to figure out what a character file is.  If you look at the log, you will see things like "Cannot add [XXX] file"  For some users, the metadata call doesn't work.  In that case, you will need to uncheck "Check Content Type" and use the "Add Files" button.  For these items, you may also need to SELECT the CHECKED item name, and click "Force Convert" button.

Mortze said:
    Mortze said:

Leana said:
    Mortze said:
    Mortze said:

Hello,

This is a known limitation.  The script copies the materials from G3 to G8 but does not convert them or change the UV mapping, which can cause seams such as here.  A product such as https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female should help (it specifically mentions Kalea)

Thank you.

Problem is that most characters (custom) I use have skins from G3 characters that aren't in that content list. It's for all the "Name" 7 characters only and not for Abby https://www.daz3d.com/abby-for-genesis-3-female (just an example).

Abby uses the G3F UVs according to the product page, she doesn’t have her own custom UVs... That’s actually the same for most G3F characters, the only exceptions are a few character made especially for a named shape or a creature shape with custom UVs and which use the custom UVs for that shape.

@Leana is correct (thanks! smiley)  For most characters that are not based off the Daz Originals, they will use the Base UV set.

Imago said:

Ok, I tried a couple different conversion options for Little Ones, Asian Female.  Out of the box with tolerance equals 0.06, the eyes are a problem:

Turning it WAY down to 0.005 gives the best results so far (though still not great):

The eye ridges are still there.  Of course, this is with the head at 100%.  At lesser values and mixed with other morphs, it may look better.  

So it's possible to use it with pretty extreme morphs? surprise
    I just have to tune the tollereance? laugh

Yes, it is possible with some extreme morphs, not all though. smiley

Chohole said:
    Erazer941 said:

I have a problem now that all basic Gen3 models will load with a morph ( genx created). Does anybody know why this is happening?

This apparently happens when the morph in question has not been saved properly.  You will need to remove it from all the characters manually to stop it happening.

Thanks @Chohole for the support! smiley

dracorn said:

I have a few questions:

(1) I recall SingularBlues having some issues with fingernail and claw morphs warping when they are converted.  How does your script handle fingernails (and toenails)?  Additionally, how about teeth morphs?

I would need to check.  I do know one of the characters did not have the vampire fangs when it was converted.

dracorn said:

(2) As far as maintenance is concerned, I imagine that this script works similarly to your clothing and hair conversion utilities, and I can delete the result.  GenX placed the results on the Shaping tab and had a utility to remove them.  RedzStudio's free script also placed the morphs on the Shaping tab and there was no utility to remove them so they were just stuck there.  I never got the chance to try SingularBlues' version, but I don't recall anything mentioned about deleting conversions that didn't work.

I delete the character preset and also delete the morphs, which will be in the first content directory under Data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/VENDOR NAME/CHARACTER NAME.  I close and restart DS so it doesn't keep the deleted morphs in memory.  

dracorn said:

(3) Are your conversions available only in the designated folder or on the Shaping tab?  I have converted some G1 elf ear morphs using GenX to G3 and then used RedzStudio to convert them to G8.  They were available on the Shaping tab but it wasn't a clean method as for the life of me I can't find where they are located to delete/rename any of them.  I'm curious if your script can be used in this way or if the ear morphs would only be available on the converted character.

Lastly, ​I also would be interested in conversions of older characters through V4/M4.

The morphs are saved separately and are available for all characters.

Havos said:
    Mortze said:
    Mortze said:

Hello,

Thank you.

You can convert the maps from the custom UV to G3F using Map Transfer (right click on the Surfaces tab inside Daz Studio). This is a lot more work than a one click solution like with this script, but at least you only have to do it once for each custom UV you own. After that just use the new textures instead that have the G3F UV. Note this only handles the texture issues, you still need this script to transfer the morphs.

Thank you for sharing!

gitika1 said:

Thanks for testing with her!  These characters are some that I was/am wondering about.  It is likely that 3DU's other G3 models will need such tweaking for the eyes as well? 

If they are toons, I would say yes.

inquire said:

I'm reading all of this with great interest. I'm looking forward to the G3M to G8M version, and also to older versions, such as, I hope, a driect M4 to G8 version.

Good to know.  Please share when you get it and have time! smiley

N3p3nth3 said:

Brenna genesis 3 to Brenna genesis 8 was quite successful, as you can see. (original right, genesis 8 left. You can really only tell from the funky eyes on genesis 8, as I didn't update those, and a slightly open mouth on the gen 3). Perfect, and looking forward to bringing over my g3 ladies.

OTOH, my Frankenstein's bride was... less so. Everything seemed to work fine (nothing interesting in the log), even if the conversion took 4 times longer than with Brenna. The body result is just as off ("original", ie. character using both a single dial gen x created morph and a bunch of genesis 3 dials to be as close to the original as possible on left, conversion on right).

I am not sure I understand your text on the Frankenstein's bride one (beyond that it didn't work obviously).  Is the body result good?  If you load it in your character, which morphs are non-zero?  After deleting your first conversion attempt and morphs, how about trying the other script?  It won't copy the texture or make the character preset, but I wonder about the morphs.

inquire said:

Looking over the product release page, I'm confused about the overwriting of morphs. Is it the Gen8 morph that will be overwritten? Wouldn't the Gen8 morph, if it already exists, be needed for a Gen8 character? What if you don't overwrite existing morphs -- will that create problems?

That is why overwrite is off by default.  I almost didn't include the option to overwrite morphs at all.  If the Gen8 morph is the same (and usually they are between characters), it shouldn't make a difference.

Artini said:

Thanks.

Converted MDD Ilumi.

Artini said:

Converted Odelle.

Artini said:

Ack! You are making me expand my wishlist on clothes! smiley  Thanks for sharing.

N3p3nth3 said:

And here's a quick and dirty render I did of Genesis 8 Brenna. No issues with the body transfer, as far as I can tell. :)

Exploring a possible user relater problem (aka URP) with GenX, so not quite ready to blame others for that, yet. 

Btw. Brenna's pose here is also converted from G3...

Thank you for sharing @N3p3nth3!

I keep getting the error "failed to save morph asset" - is there anything specific I should -not- include in the character preset as far as morphs go? She's based off Victoria 7 and doesn't have any geografts or anything. The only oddity is that I do have a couple custom-created x-tools morphs that I use for her (isolated Ophelia 7's legs and Georgia's mouth). 

*edit* Even forcing the conversion fails. :(

Strange.  Can you post the full Daz log (not the abbreviated one in the script dialog)?  Have you tried using the other convert custom scene character script?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    N3p3nth3 said:

I am not sure I understand your text on the Frankenstein's bride one (beyond that it didn't work obviously).  Is the body result good?  If you load it in your character, which morphs are non-zero?  After deleting your first conversion attempt and morphs, how about trying the other script?  It won't copy the texture or make the character preset, but I wonder about the morphs.

My suspicion is that the issue with the Bride is that it uses HD morphs to achieve the full effect ("set comes complete with custom crafted High Definition Morphs,")  Needless to say, HD morphs don't transfer, so you're only getting part of the character... although there's some pretty interesting stuff going on over in the ShapeSPlitter thread that indicate that it may be possible to transfer them using negative morphs...see: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/340346/released-character-converter-from-genesis-3-female-to-genesis-8-female-commercial/p7