XTransfer Module 1- Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 Morph Converter (Commercial)

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046

Free but the entire XTransfer series is on hold at the moment.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 761

Zev0 said:

Free but the entire XTransfer series is on hold at the moment.

Cool.

But now I have another question.

Sometimes Daz Studio can't read the directory path created by XTransfer. The converted morphs don't show up in the "Shaping" tab anywhere. How can I fix this?

XTransfer does convert the morphs, and puts them in the directory it says it will. But then the directory path to the converted morhs does not show up in the "Shaping" tab.

My guess is there's something very different about the rules for directory paths between Genesis 3 and Genesis 8, such that simply producing the XTransfer version of the path structure from Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 will produce this problem.

Anyway, the directory path created by XTransfer in this case is: /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/XTransfer/HSTW/HMK1/FairyEars1.dsf

And that appears to follow the pattern of the the way XTransfer produces these new diretory paths, as the path to the original morph is:

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Morphs/HSTW/HMK1/FairyEars1.dsf

But for Genesis 3, the morphs appear in the "Shaping" tab at: Genesis 3 Female > Head > HSTW Head Morph Kit 1 > Ears

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 761
    edited September 2021

My XTransfer problems and work-around’s

I want to share the problems I had using XTransfer and the things I did to overcome them, to the extent that I COULD overcome them.

First I want to say that to the extent that XTransfer worked, it seemed to work ok. The converted G8 versions of the morphs do look faithful to the original G3 morphs, at least from a distance. I cannot vouch for the precision of the rigging conversion in any case but Teen Josie 7, for which I can definitely say the rigging got converted slightly wrong in the shoulders.

But let me begin with a warning to others: BEWARE THE DUPLICATE/VERSION/COPIES OF YOUR G3 MORPHS.

I found that XTransfer had problems locating the correct G3 morphs to convert. I have multiple versions/copies of the G3 morphs in my “data” folder. XTransfer often converted the wrong version/copy of some G3 morphs, resulting in converted morphs that did not appear in the “Shaping” tab directory structure. They instead appeared in the “Parameters” tab under “Morphs > Morph Loader Pro”, with gray slider control colors and labels that were equal to the names, and with a few other control settings problems.

These other version/copies of the G3 morphs were generated by another morph conversion product that I had used earlier, namely “Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female”, by “RiverSoft Art”.

I tried 2 things to fix this problem with duplicates. I don’t know how well my two fixes worked. But at present, they seem to fix the problem ENOUGH for me to keep XTransfer (not return it for a refund).

So anyway, my first attempt at fixing this problem was to try finding all of these other version/copies of the G3 morphs generated by that product and temporarily remove them from the Daz library. I figured I could find them all by noting the date of creation for a single confirmed duplicate, and finding everything else with that date of creation or close, as I likely ran the Character Converter on all my figures in just a few days.

By “remove” here I don’t mean to delete. What I mean is to temporarily move them to a folder on my desktop, outside the Daz library. This insures that I can put them back inside the Daz library when I’m done running XTransfer.

This drastically reduced the number of wrong version morphs that XTransfer accidentally converted. But some still remained. Likely I failed to find all the duplicates.

Without a way to guarantee that I can find and move all the duplicates, I had to try something else.

My next fix was to start over and use a different morph selection method. So, first delete every converted morph that XTransfer had produced – the “XTranfer” folder. And then use XTransfer’s directory selection method instead of clicking on the heart symbols of the morph controls to “favoritize” them as a means of selecting the morphs to convert. Apparently, “favoritizing” the morphs does not direct XTransfer to the original morph corresponding to that controller that you favoritized. Favoritizing merely puts that morph on some list of morphs to search for. And once XTransfer searches for and finds the first version/copy of that morph that matches up on some criteria, it converts that one, whether it is the correct version or not.

So I reasoned that selecting the morphs by directory would remove any ambiguity from the selection procedure. And that seemed to work for exactly that reason.

Great! Almost all the original morphs got converted properly. There were a few stragglers. Maybe this had to do with Transfer encountering a high-definition morph and then going haywire after. I have no clue.

But wait, there’s more problems.

I found some cases where XTransfer failed to preserve the “controller / controlled” link between some morphs. My guess is MOST of these links got converted correctly. But a few did not. Here’s what I mean, by way of example:

The “Tamara” character needs the Teen Josie 7 base figure installed to work. The morphs that produce the Tamara character must control the morphs that produce the Teen Josie 7 base figure, as well as do some additional morphing on top of the Teen Josie 7 base figure. But XTransfer produced G8F versions of the Tamara morphs that failed to control (and apply) the Teen Josie 7 base figure morphs.

I had deliberately tried to avoid this kind of thing by converting morph collections in a certain order. I made sure to convert Teen Josie 7 BEFORE converting Tamara. But my attention to order of conversion did not prevent the problem in this case, and in at least one other that I found.

So now I’m worried that there could be several other bad links like this that I have yet to encounter.

As for the bad links that I did find, I managed to restore the links by means of doing the “ERC Freeze” thing.

And it occurs to me that the shoulder rigging problem with Teen Josie 7 could be the result of a bad link to some corrective morph or some other resource that was supposed to adjust the shoulders.

One final note and warning to others:

Don’t bother having XTransfer convert the collection of morphs in the folder “.../Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base Correctives”. Near as I can tell, the presence of these converted morphs in your G8 XTransfer folder will screw up the rigging or joint corrective morphs on all your G8 figures of that gender (or interfere with Daz Studio using the right set of correctives). If you pose a G8 figure and the elbows and kneed are all messed up, try removing the converted morphs on “Base Correctives”. Maybe also the ones in “Base” and “Base Pose”.

And this is where I’m at with XTransfer today. I’ve converted all the morphs I wanted to, but I don’t yet know how many of them are good and to what extent. I’ll have to find out over the coming year or so. Fingers crossed – perhaps MOST of them are good.

I take it on faith that the developers of XTransfer will eventually look into these matters and fix them.

Tamara Rigging.jpg
    1280 x 2048 - 1M
    Post edited by lukon100 on
    edited September 2021

Hi. There is nothing to fix really. Your issues seem to stem from using another converter confusing the data folder with multple morphs (same morph converted). XTransfer saves all converted morphs into one folder location, isolating it from the base figure morphs. Also where is this Tamara character? I do not see it in the store.

I would like to convert it and send you the video.

Don’t bother having XTransfer convert the collection of morphs in the folder “.../Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base Correctives”.

You cannot convert those as they are linked to the base figure, converting those by themselves will do nothing, they won't work. This is like me converting a characters jcm's without the related figure. They won't do anything by themselves.

I had deliberately tried to avoid this kind of thing by converting morph collections in a certain order. I made sure to convert Teen Josie 7 BEFORE converting Tamara

No need. If a character uses a required figure shape it will automatically include it.

If you pose a G8 figure and the elbows and kneed are all messed up, try removing the converted morphs on “Base Correctives”. Maybe also the ones in “Base” and “Base Pose”.

There is no reason to touch or even mess with these. I have had no complaints about pose issues. This is not related to XTransfer. You must have done something to break these.

Lastly, your pic example is expected. Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 rigging is different. We even tweaked the rigging slightly to match the shoulders as best as possible during conversion process. They will never be exactly the same.

Do this to see for yourself, pose both figures in T or A Pose and look at the arm bones on each character, they are different on G3 and G8. (See attachment below). When converting we compensated for the difference. We actually alligned every bone except for the one you pointed out. That one could not be touched because of the design difference between a figure in T pose (G3) and A pose (G8). End of the day a converted shape in same pose won't match pose 100% in that area due to this. We tried to match rigging as best as possible.

Untitled-1.jpg
    869 x 1305 - 183K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited September 2021

I bought this last week but have only just got around to trying it and have fallen flat at the first hurdle.

I bought it because I have lots of G3M characters that I have created myself using the parameter dials and mixing purchased character shapes along with morph packs such as those from Zev0. So I thought that I could load my G3M character and transfer him to a G8M providing I have the required morph packs (which I also bought to enable this process). However, the first item in the included PDF informs me that my expectations have been shattered. I would appreciate any advice on how to do what I bought the product to do or confirm that it is not possible without re-creating all the morphs again. It seems that the starting point must be a base G3M and not a character, however the character was created (bought or dialed-in). 

Xtrans.jpg
    948 x 260 - 64K
    Post edited by marble on
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074

marble said:

I bought this last week but have only just got around to trying it and have fallen flat at the first hurdle.

I bought it because I have lots of G3M characters that I have created myself using the parameter dials and mixing purchased character shapes along with morph packs such as those from Zev0. So I thought that I could load my G3M character and transfer him to a G8M providing I have the required morph packs (which I also bought to enable this process). However, the first item in the included PDF informs me that my expectations have been shattered. I would appreciate any advice on how to do what I bought the product to do or confirm that it is not possible without re-creating all the morphs again. It seems that the starting point must be a base G3M and not a character, however the character was created (bought or dialed-in). 

There IS a bit of a learning curve for this product marble... It helped me to read the past posts in this thread.  I know it's a lot to read through but I eventually got the product to work... although my converted G3 characters are not EXACT for G8... they are passable.

Llola Lane said:

marble said:

There IS a bit of a learning curve for this product marble... It helped me to read the past posts in this thread.  I know it's a lot to read through but I eventually got the product to work... although my converted G3 characters are not EXACT for G8... they are passable.

So I have to read 33 pages of a forum thread to figure out how to do something that the product seems to be advertised to do? At first glance and without reading those 33 pages, it looks to me like I need to go through all of the morphs in my G3 character and favourite each and every one. I don't even know if I can figure out which morphs I used because I can't start with that character in my viewport - that's a big Catch-22 to start with.

Sorry to be so negative but I seem to be running into this kind of problem with products I have purchased recently - the answer in the forum is usually some form of "big learning curve".  That is the kind of information that should be in the product description, not covered over 33 pages of forum discussion.

marble said:

Llola Lane said:

marble said:

So I have to read 33 pages of a forum thread to figure out how to do something that the product seems to be advertised to do? At first glance and without reading those 33 pages, it looks to me like I need to go through all of the morphs in my G3 character and favourite each and every one. I don't even know if I can figure out which morphs I used because I can't start with that character in my viewport - that's a big Catch-22 to start with.

Sorry to be so negative but I seem to be running into this kind of problem with products I have purchased recently - the answer in the forum is usually some form of "big learning curve".  That is the kind of information that should be in the product description, not covered over 33 pages of forum discussion.

I totally agree marble... and to be honest I have not played with it much because I got so discouraged.  I just wanted to answer you to try and help cause I'm not sure anyone else is watching this thread.  I am sorry if I made things worse.  I'll have to play with it some more.  I too get discouraged.. but rather than give up I try and see if I can figure things out... hence the reading the 33 pages (sighs).  I'll just shut up now ... Good luck :)

edited September 2021

Llola Lane said:

marble said:

Llola Lane said:

marble said:

I totally agree marble... and to be honest I have not played with it much because I got so discouraged.  I just wanted to answer you to try and help cause I'm not sure anyone else is watching this thread.  I am sorry if I made things worse.  I'll have to play with it some more.  I too get discouraged.. but rather than give up I try and see if I can figure things out... hence the reading the 33 pages (sighs).  I'll just shut up now ... Good luck :)

No please - my negativity wasn't directed at you. I was just disappointed that what I thought would work for me apparently will not. However, all is not lost because I think I can create a platform for G8M from transferring G3M morphs. Not what I envisaged when I first opened the product but at least I can see a way forward.

I'm sorry to have to seemed to react badly to your suggestions and I appreciate the advice even though 33 pages is quite daunting. 

Post edited by marble on
    edited September 2021

marble said:

Llola Lane said:

marble said:

No catch 22. All you have to do is ERC freeze all used morphs on your character to a new character/property dial and save that dial. Now all you do is favorite that property dial, like you do with any other character dial and you are good to go for conversion. If you create a character/property dial that drives all your used morphs that is all thats needed, the script will detect and convert all that is used, then simply dial up that same property dial on Genesis 8.

So once dial is created and saved, load in a new genesis 3 base, favourite that dial and you are set for transfer. That dial along with all linked morphs that make up your character will now be on genesis 8.

If you do not know how to create and erc freeze a property dial there is lots of tutorials on youtube. Alternatively there is always this which does all the work for you.

https://www.daz3d.com/dial-fusion-for-genesis-2-to-81

"although my converted G3 characters are not EXACT for G8... they are passable."

Can I see some examples of just passable? XTransfer transfers the morphs 1 to 1 accuracy except for HD morphs which it wll only transfer the base level of those. How are they just passable? This product is an automated process of how you transfer morphs manually to genesis 8 with highest accuracy, and the process the script uses is the same process used by Daz themselves how to convert G3 morphs to G8.

Post edited by Zev0 on

Zev0 said:

marble said:

Llola Lane said:

marble said:

No catch 22. All you have to do is ERC freeze all used morphs on your character to a new character/property dial and save that dial. Now all you do is favorite that property dial, like you do with any other character dial and you are good to go for conversion. If you create a character/property dial that drives all your used morphs that is all thats needed, the script will detect and convert all that is used, then simply dial up that same property dial on Genesis 8.

So once dial is created and saved, load in a new genesis 3 base, favourite that dial and you are set for transfer. That dial along with all linked morphs that make up your character will now be on genesis 8.

If you do not know how to create and erc freeze a property dial there is lots of tutorials on youtube. Alternatively there is always this which does all the work for you.

https://www.daz3d.com/dial-fusion-for-genesis-2-to-81

"although my converted G3 characters are not EXACT for G8... they are passable."

Can I see some examples of just passable? XTransfer transfers the morphs 1 to 1 accuracy except for HD morphs which it wll only transfer the base level of those. How are they just passable? This product is an automated process of how you transfer morphs manually to genesis 8 with highest accuracy, and the process the script uses is the same process used by Daz themselves how to convert G3 morphs to G8.

It would be that Dial-Fusion is one of the few products from you that I don't (yet) have. I have seen references to ERC freeze lots of times here in the forum but have no idea what it does so I'll watch the video and learn something new. I did think about creating a Character Preset thinking along those same lines but, of course, that would not have worked according to your PDF manual.

So I'll try the ERC freeze and report back. Thanks.

edited September 2021

A character preset won't work because the converted morph names on Genesis 8 have an XT prefix, so the character preset won't pick them up. A prefix was needed so that it does not clash with existing G8 morphs of the same name also to prevent the(2) infront of morph names which happens when two morphs are named exactly the same, and if you dial that up that slider it will dial up both morphs. The prefix added prevents this from happening, also makes searching for any converted morphs from the script easy to find via search.

Post edited by Zev0 on

Zev0 said:

A character preset won't work because the converted morph names on Genesis 8 have an XT prefix, so the character preset won't pick them up. A prefix was needed so that it does not clash with existing G8 morphs of the same name also to prevent the(2) infront of morph names which happens when two morphs are named exactly the same. The prefix added prevents this from happening, also makes searching for any converted morphs from the script easy to find via search.

OK - that makes sense but I am having trouble finding a YouTube tutorial explaining ERC Freeze. The most relevant one is from our friendly WP Guru but that explains how to make the rigging work for an imported character with a different skeleton rig. That's not the case here because, from your hints, I am thinking that what I need to achieve is to create a single slider for all the morphs on my custom G3 character. 

So I'm guessing that I need to load my G3M character, go to the Parameters Panel and click on "Currently Used", go into Edit Mode and select all, then ERC Freeze ... but now I'm lost. I don't know what to do in that ERC panel.

edited September 2021

Go into edit mode

Right click in an empty space in parameters and go create new property.

Name it etc and click create , Dial it up, Right click on it and say erc freeze, the accept. You will now see that dial control all dialed morphs when you adjust slider.

Now, specify path where it must be located in parameters, now go file, save it as support asset/morph asset.

Capture.JPG
    566 x 1198 - 67K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited September 2021

Zev0 said:

Go into edit mode

Right click in an empty space in parameters and go create new property.

Name it etc and click create , Dial it up, Right click on it and say erc freeze, the accept. You will now see that dial control all dialed morphs when you adjust slider.

Now, specify path where it must be located in parameters, now go file, save it as support asset/morph asset.

Getting there. My first attempt resulted in the right shape but about a half-sized figure. I'm guessing that one of the parameters was applied more than once or should not have been applied at all. I'll try again. 

[EDIT] yes - there was a parameter called "Scale" which was the one I needed to leave out. I also de-selected all the HD morphs and a bunch of your Vascularity morphs because I don't have that product for G8M (I doubt whether they would have transferred anyway because they are HD).

Post edited by marble on

OK - working now. Thanks for the help with ERC - I would not have had a clue how to do that. The transferred character looks very similar other than the lack of HD, of course. Huge pity that the HD transfer is not possible. I guess I could look at creating Normal Maps from the G3M character but again that's wandering into an area that I know very little about.

Anyway, I have a bunch of G3M characters that are the result of my own parameter sliding so lots to do for a few days.

Sweet. Glad to help.

I am sorry Zevo... I never should have answered Marble... I wasn't sure if anyone was still watching this thread.  I myself have not played with Xtransfer in a while so I had to open it tonight to remember my problem.  I don't want to be trouble.  I just gave up using the program after I got frustrated it didn't work for me.  I put it away and never gave it another thought until I got a reminder email from watching this thread.  I usually can figure things out on my own but it takes me a looong time.  And I read through the 30+pages here and was able to get it to work.. sort of... I have attached some examples below... I will have to play more tomorrow.  As you can see the original G3 character is way shorter than the G8 version.  At first I thought it was the pose... but when they line up you can see they are not exact.  I hate myself for not being able to figure this out myself.  I am stumped!  Seems to me there was something else too... But I'll have to look tomorrow.

Xtransfer Vivian.jpg
    702 x 586 - 66K
    Xtransfer Vivian overlay.jpg
    676 x 730 - 62K

Oh.. I just remembered... the belly button is wrong too... I can't remember if I read about that in the 30+pages... sorry

Is the morphs being used located in a proper structure? I dont think it will convert anything in root. Do you have a link to this character?

Zev0 said:

Is the morphs being used located in a proper structure? I dont think it will convert anything in root. Do you have a link to this character?

Long story short... This was a character from my Llola's Lovely Ladies that Daz pulled from the store for insufficent sales :(  So no.. don't have a linky... but they were approved by Daz so I'm sure she/they has/have the 'proper structure'... but to be honest I have no idea what that means.

edited September 2021

I found my files from my experiments and I remember part of the problem... The Xtransfer program isn't copying the correct Y scale numbers in the Upper or Lower abdomen.  I've attached files.  I CAN manually adjust the numbers for G8 but it will take time and I'm not sure I want to bother.

(note.. pink is the original G3.. yellow is the G8 xversion)

Xtransfer Mary.jpg
    1194 x 732 - 125K
    Xtransfer Maryy.jpg
    1296 x 766 - 129K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

Maybe a coincidence but I had issues with the scale as well.

marble said:

Maybe a coincidence but I had issues with the scale as well.

Oh well.. then I guess I'm glad I posted my problem... Maybe it will help others and I won't feel so bad.  lol

edited September 2021

The Xtransfer program isn't copying the correct Y scale numbers in the Upper or Lower abdomen.

Unless these scale adjustments are driven by actual morphs it will not go over. XTransfer does not remember X Y and Z scaling on the figure itself, only morphs or properties that control those.

Post edited by Zev0 on

Zev0 said:

The Xtransfer program isn't copying the correct Y scale numbers in the Upper or Lower abdomen.

Unless these scale adjustments are driven by actual morphs it will not go over. XTransfer does not remember X Y and Z scaling on the figure itself, only morphs or properties that control those.

It got the X and the Z correct... so why not the Y???  

Maybe luck? Maybe it was linked to something? Favourite a scaled dial and you will see Xtransfer will not list it to transfer.

Capture.JPG
    1570 x 1141 - 121K
  • If the scaling is needed, couldn't you just create a control property with just those dials spun so that they'll be carried over?

edited September 2021

Zev0 said:

Maybe luck? Maybe it was linked to something? Favourite a scaled dial and you will see Xtransfer will not list it to transfer.

ok. I will look today... sorry I had to get some sleep.  Things will make more sense now that I've rested... lol  I'm going to try a few more of my ladies and see what happens.  :)

Post edited by Llola Lane on