BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►New Year Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ͠͠ ͠~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~ H2O ͠~͠~~͠

Comments

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited December 1969

Wow Joe - that's really amazing. Reminds me of Albert Bierstadt, one of my favorite western US painters.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bierstadt_Albert_Yosemite_Valley_Yellowstone_Park.jpg)
    Going to be one heck of a challenge this time ;-)

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Wow Joe - that's really amazing. Reminds me of Albert Bierstadt, one of my favorite western US painters.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bierstadt_Albert_Yosemite_Valley_Yellowstone_Park.jpg)
    Going to be one heck of a challenge this time ;-)

I won't lie Dan but I was browsing around and saw Bierstadt work and it did inspire me on this one. The light he captures is incredible. Spent hours trying to replicate it but to no avail.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree that is a superb render, Nice tip about the waterfall as well, I hadn't thought about using my waterfall brushes that way.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

Beautiful render orbital !

Anyway, this is my first render, called "Pink Lake City"

Pink_Lake_City.jpg
    872 x 600 - 112K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

adbc said:

nice - may I suggest you make the camels and male smaller
    they would fit the scene better .

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    adbc said:

nice - may I suggest you make the camels and male smaller
    they would fit the scene better .
    I agree, at the moment the scale looks wrong.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,536
    edited December 1969

@Dave - that looks dramatic.

@mermaid010 - I like the idea. The water droplets are difficult to see.

@orbital - beautiful scene.

@adbc - that's a nice idea. As has already been suggested, the scale is yet an issue.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney, I really like your feet in shallow water scenes - kind of nostalgic idea and they look great!

@Savage64's glass of water is almost perfect- Wow! - makes me thirsty to see it! Only perhaps the watery pattern on the floor is too odd and less convincing.
    Your ship in the rain is also amazing and spectacular - did you do post-work effects on it? The ropes and detail have a sketched look on closeup view.

@JStryder the frog in tub idea is great - maybe needs some waviness of the water surface around the edge, and the frog's skin texture is a bit dull and not living up to the liveliness of the other objects. Add some more reflection and shine in skin the eyes and you're away!

@Hansmar - I've seen those water-drop pics you mention and they are so beautiful - your modeled drop in looking very good indeed!

@Horo's moody scene is very beautiful indeed - so realistic and peaceful.

@Orbital's idyllic scene has indeed managed to create the feeling of an old image and is very grand.

@Adbc's scene will also look majestic with that white desert once the objects's scales are better matched to the scene terrain scale and the perspective.

I haven't had time to do a scene just for this watery theme yet - but to show my interest, I'm posting this one which I did in preparation for the December competition. this was a bit of an inadvertent render but it looks quite unusual and dramatic anyway.

Clipper_in_icy_watert-SML.jpg
    406 x 248 - 120K
    edited December 1969

@bigh, orbital, horo and keryna
    Thanks for your comment.

You are right they are too big.
    Will do the adjustment, still enough time he .....

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,893
    edited December 1969

@orbital: Wonderful scene! Lovely atmosphere.

@adbc: I agree with the others on the size. Otherwise a nice render

@keryna: Thanks. And your ship scene is very nice, but maybe indeed more of an icy render.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Orbital....gob-smacked...pheeww.

adbc...great work, too...and very nice scene.

Keryna...many thanks...love your early efforts - look forward to the final work.

Jay

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@orbital: A very beautiful and awesome scene.

@adbc: That's a nice first entry. When you make the adjustments it will look better.

@Keryna: Love that ship.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

keryna said:
    @Savage64's glass of water is almost perfect- Wow! - makes me thirsty to see it! Only perhaps the watery pattern on the floor is too odd and less convincing.
    Thanks. Yes, the spils are a bit wrong, but with such a long render, I'm not sure I'll find the time to fix it and re-render it... Maybe I will though as I agree it does let the picture down.
    Your ship in the rain is also amazing and spectacular - did you do post-work effects on it? The ropes and detail have a sketched look on closeup view.

No post work... The sketch effect is a result of refraction from the rain filter I put in front the Bryce camera to get the rain drops.
    edited December 1969

I did the adjustment you advised me to do and I appreciate your comments.

Pink_Lake_City2.jpg
    872 x 600 - 106K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

adbc said:
    I did the adjustment you advised me to do and I appreciate your comments.

better !

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,386
    edited December 1969

Amazing renders from everyone.

I played with the settings for Specular in the Light lab, Sky Lab and the material for the droplets. I used Electro-elvis’s suggestion and replaced the radial light with a distant light but no luck. The render I posted is the best so far.

Hansmar – I will try with another ground texture, it’s hard to get something nice with cracks in the concrete, I’m still trying other options and there is still time before the deadline.

Horo-any ideas for the droplets…

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - well, not for the form, that is fine. As for the material, I suggest making it like water. Between 99 and 100% transparent and refraction 133. No diffuse and ambient but specularity. To get enough specularity from IBL, you'll need a hypertexture in the specularity channel. I'd rather suggest to use the sun as the specular source. There is a control for it in the Sky Lab. Specularity works best with a point light source like the sun. You could also use a radial near the droplets without Diffuse and shadows but Specularity.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Very great work from all of you....At The Docks.....

At_the_Docks2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

My very first Bryce render and it has water so here it is ....

Fog on the Lake

fog_on_the_water.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 120K
    edited December 1969

@Kharma - really doesn't look like a first, exceedingly well done. You're certainly on the right track.

@Trish - looking nice. Did you get Faubourg?

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Kharma - really doesn't look like a first, exceedingly well done. You're certainly on the right track.

@Trish - looking nice. Did you get Faubourg?

Thank you very much Horo, from you that is a HUGE compliment , I admire yours and David's work so much! It took me a week just to figure out how to get the camera angle to do what I want ... I must have watched the video on that a 100 times :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,386
    edited January 2014

Nice renders Trish and Kharma

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - well, not for the form, that is fine. As for the material, I suggest making it like water. Between 99 and 100% transparent and refraction 133. No diffuse and ambient but specularity. To get enough specularity from IBL, you'll need a hypertexture in the specularity channel. I'd rather suggest to use the sun as the specular source. There is a control for it in the Sky Lab. Specularity works best with a point light source like the sun. You could also use a radial near the droplets without Diffuse and shadows but Specularity.

Thanks Horo for the suggestions. I already have Specular in the Sky Lab set to 300 and Diffuse 100. The material is almost what you stated except I have ambience at 15. I did not think about using a hypertexture. Thanks for mentioning that. I need to play with the settings.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

Thank you....yes Horo I could not pass up faubourg....had to have it...LOL ... http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=2&aid=121810_CdyfnrBZmyNYGQIFdvgb&board_id=1

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Thank you mermaid010 :)

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I hope there's enough water to fit in the theme ;)
    Used: http://archive3d.net/?a=download&id=f1c70918

76_04_j.jpg
    800 x 400 - 390K
    edited December 1969

@adbc. Great improvement!

@mermaid010: you could of course also make some bricks or tiles yourself, with mortar in between? In that case you may want to have some concrete-type material with cracks in them. You can always change the colours a bit if needed.

@bullit35744: Great harbour scene. Wonderful effects of the poles in the water.

@Kharma. Good effort. Maybe set the material size on the mountains a bit smaller (i.e. a higher value in the size setting).

@dwsel_ Another nice lake. And there must be lots of water in the sky, so why would it be too limited? (The theme is H20, which doesn't necessarily mean much water in the scene; I once made a painting for the theme 'l'heur bleu' (the blue hour), which was more than 90% red; didn't win, but certainly stood out in all the other blueish entries!)

I'm still struggling with a big wave. Don't get the foam on the wave as I want it yet.

edited December 1969

@hansmar ... thank you. could you be a bit more specific on how I would change the material size, where would I discover that setting?

edited January 2014

Kharma said:
    @hansmar ... thank you. could you be a bit more specific on how I would change the material size, where would I discover that setting?

Of course.
    Go to materials editor (the M when you select an object).
    Bring up the texture editor (arrow 1), greenish dot
    Use the 'scale control' (arrow 2). Just play and see what happens.

And: follow several tutorials by the Master of Bryce: David Brinnen. I learned so much from his tutorials (and he publishes them sometimes faster than I can follow!)

Have fun!

(Edit: Oops, wrong picture!)

texture_editor_copy.jpg
    700 x 573 - 178K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    Kharma said:

Of course.
    Go to materials editor (the M when you select an object).
    Bring up the texture editor (arrow 1), greenish dot
    Use the 'scale control' (arrow 2). Just play and see what happens.

And: follow several tutorials by the Master of Bryce: David Brinnen. I learned so much from his tutorials (and he publishes them sometimes faster than I can follow!)

Have fun!

(Edit: Oops, wrong picture!)

There are 3 different textures, how do I know which to change? I assume they each affect the texture in a different way?

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@adbc: That image is looking much better.

@Trish: A really neat scene. Love the buildings.

@Kharma: For a first attempt that's a very nice scene.

@dwsel: Adding the arch gives that scene a nice atmosphere.