BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►New Year Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ͠͠ ͠~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~ H2O ͠~͠~~͠

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited December 1969

@adbc - interesting explosion in deep murky water.

@David - ice cave looks very convincing.

@hansmar - looks like the south-west of the UK, though according to the style of the houses it must be somewhere else.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2014

hansmar said:
    @bullit35744. Nice water town. Or should I say: water castle? Looks like a castle to me.

@adbc: interesting: something different!

@David Brinnen: Looks like Horo and you caved in together, but his cave was not so cold ;)

Time for my last entrance (since my first attempt didn't count for being an old render!)
    The title is February 1953. So, no reference to the issues they have in the UK, right now.
    I know February 1953 only from history books and television, but it is part of my Dutch heritage, I assume.

I made the houses for a render a year ago, all in Bryce. The bus is a freebee by 'Birdman' (David Swan), originally in 3DS. The ship is the Grand Turk, that came with one of my Bryce versions (If I remember correctly).

Now it is time to move on to other ideas.
    By the way, should I also put these renders in the general galleries? Is that what other people do?

I do actually remember 1953, and if you are Dutch, then you had it far worse your side of the North Sea to we did over here. I was very young then, and not really aware of how bad it was till later in life.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Wow. The entries in this contest are sickening!!!
    Guss, that church looks incredible. Very nice use of translucency for the foliage!

Orbital....you are one of the Bryce users that always pulls off the impossible. I love both of your entries.

Trish, I think your submissions look great, and I love the atmospherics in your entry on the other page.

Cave renders are also very cool. I'm very proud of the showing Bryce is making!!! I think all of the renders are amazing so if I didnt mention you it isnt because I didnt notice, just short on time for this comment. Great work everyone.

I've promised myself that I would not force Chohole to remind me to participate so please do keep them coming all and I do hope to throw my own hat in there at some point. I've gotta think of something good just to keep pace with you guys. Wowowowowow!!!!

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

GussNemo, Hansmar and Horo : thanks for your comments.
    @ David Brinnen : looks very cold inside that cave
    @Hansmar : remembering the flood of 1953 is a good idea.

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Thanks Rashad, I hope you can find the time to enter as you do some quality stuff.

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

@Orbital, I love that scene. I want to go there. Any chance it's for rent, and within commuting distance? :-)

Well it's all in my head, but I doubt you'd want to stay in there for long!
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Thank you Rashad....hope you get working on yours I can't wait to see it ....Trish

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well she is the Lady of the Lake, so there is water.

avalon_terrains_2_copy.jpg
    742 x 988 - 512K
    edited December 1969

chohole: I am loving your bright colors lately....I saw her in a Merlin episode.....

edited December 1969

@Pam - you really have the knack for that sort of renders. Simply beautiful.

I have also a mouthful of water for my 3rd entry.

Title: Black Rock II
    Products used: Bryce 7.1 Pro.

BlackRock.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 217K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@Horo, how did you do those waves? Is that a terrain?

edited December 1969

Yup. Either Pocked or Mordor, I don't remember.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Looks good! Mordor I think.

edited December 1969

Another lesser known trick is Rounded Hills but with the polarity Inverted. It can give nice continuous wave samples without gaps.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

@ Horo - Fantastic wave action there. Very realistic. ( OK, I know I will sound stupid here Horo, but after 8+ years of messing with Bryce I am still discovering little tricks and tips and adjustments in the program - May I play newbie here and ask what is Pocked or Mordor ?? )

An old dog still learning new tricks.. ;-)

Thanks

Bruce

edited December 1969

goshtac said:
    Horo said:

@ Horo - Fantastic wave action there. Very realistic. ( OK, I know I will sound stupid here Horo, but after 8+ years of messing with Bryce I am still discovering little tricks and tips and adjustments in the program - May I play newbie here and ask what is Pocked or Mordor ?? )

An old dog still learning new tricks.. ;-)

Thanks

Bruce

They are types of fractal filters found in the Terrain Lab. I think they are both Voronoi derivatives but I could be wrong.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rashad: Thank you very much. I remembered what Horo said about leaves and tweaked the leaves ever so much. Otherwise, they were really dark.

@hansmar: Nice scene, though it's reminiscent of recent events.

@Pam: Lovely scene, as always.

@Horo: Fantastic ocean scene, I assume it's an ocean. Water material looks spot on, as does the rocks. How'd you achieve the streaks in the water?

@Bruce: Next to Fractals in the Terrain Editor is a down arrow. If you click on it you'll open a drop down menu that lets you choose from several types of terrains.

edited December 1969

@Rashad - changing polarity is a good trick often overlooked.

@GussNemo - thank you. What would I do without David's materials? Look under Pro Materials > Water Surfaces > Combers, 1st row last column. I did adjustments, but not for the streaks.

@Bruce - thank you. Are you looking for this (see picture)?

TE.jpg
    836 x 690 - 90K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797
    edited December 1969

@Horo. Well, the houses may not look like Zeeland or Zuid-Holland either, but that was what I was thinking of anyway. Though the girls are not appropriately dressed for February 1953 at all!
    Your wave render is outstanding!

@chohole. Don't know how bad SE UK is this year, but February 1953 was very bad in the south west of NL. Of course, I wasn't borne there, but I heard stories and it was the start of the Dutch technological surge in watermanagement. As you can see in de Zuiderzeewerken, such as the Oosterscheldedam and the Maeslandkering.

@adbc. Fully agree. Such disasters should not be forgotten to allow us to prepare for the future.

@GussNemo. I was aware of that. And I think last year similar events happened in the UK too. And, of course, we remember the horrible Tsunami in Asia. Difference between the flood then in NL and the Tsunami is the fact that the flood in NL came from breaking dikes, and therefore the insurge of water didn't have the distructive power of the Tsunami.

Still hope to see more wonderful renders!

edited December 1969

Horo: very real looking wave nicely done....Trish

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi folks:
    thanks for the heads up on the Mordor, etc. I have touched on the fractal menu from time to time, but guess never paid close enough attention to the various names there.

So I had fun today with 1 terrain and went thru each fractal setting one at a time to get a feel for the various effects... Some nice effects with a number of them.

Thanks again for helping this old dog pickup some new tricks... :cheese:

Bruce

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Hmm, this might be a good excuse to break out my old Aikobot mermaid model... :D

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited December 1969

hello,

I'll show my first Render for this Challenge.
    The Furnitures and flowerpots are importet, the rest is done by me with Bryce.

Very beautiful renders I saw here. Good luck to you all :-)

Water_1.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 872K
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Just more H2O.

Fishbowl.jpg
    960 x 960 - 631K
    edited December 1969

I would like to fill the vase with water, but may have hit my limit in modeling skills. The flower will wait a while. :cheese:

Klein_Vase.jpg
    640 x 640 - 99K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I am a little behind on viewing so just want to say great work everyone, fantastic renders, there is so much talent here in Bryce!

On another note, I just did my one entry and I see some have 2 or 3, is it required to enter more than one? So far I haven't come up with another entry, still trying to import and manipulate some DS items to use.

edited February 2014

@yellow Pen - that looks very nice and natural.

@JStryder - I like your glass, the Klein bottle even more.

@Kharma - no, it just increases your chances if you have 3 entries.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

@Horo, liking the water applied to terrain. Will have to try that sometime, but not in this contest because here is my 3rd & final render. Please consider my last render of the Klein bottle just a WIP.

Carnation is Lisa Botanical's. Rose is free obj from "ActualFantasy" on "Turbosquid." The rest I modeled in Wings3D or Bryce using standard or tweaked textures. Oh yeah, the table is from Curious Tea.

The more light I shone on the glass Klein bottle, the darker the back of the bottle became. I have not noticed glass behaving that way in nature & wonder if others have run across this effect in Bryce. The red refractions are apparently from the orange spot lights used to illuminate the bottle.
    There is a water object in the bottle, set to a lightly colored glass material. Due to the way I made the bottle, it is not a perfect fit. Perhaps that is the source of the problem with the darkness in the glass, but the way it appears in the upper part where there is no "water" makes me think not.

yywindowwithklein2.jpg
    640 x 640 - 295K
    edited December 1969

Just answered my own question. Set the refractive index to 100 and the dark spots go away. These are PE TA renders. Just to prove the point, here's a render with no dark spots and no refraction in the glass. It's just a WIP not a contest entry (not that it matters, just trying to make Pam's job easier)

yywindowwithklein3.jpg
    640 x 640 - 437K
    edited December 1969

yellow pen: very nice scene....
    J Stryder: I am really liking you vase.....