BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►New Year Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ͠͠ ͠~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~~͠~ H2O ͠~͠~~͠

Comments

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    @keryna : nice ship
    @bullit35744 : great scene, beautiful buildings
    @Kharma : well done
    @dwsel- : that's a very nice landscape.

I finished my second entry, called it Lost metropolis.

Lost_metropolis.jpg
    872 x 600 - 79K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited January 2014

GussNemo and adbc thank you very much...it was fun learning how to use Bryce, I hope its not just beginner luck :) EVeryones posts are so beautiful!

Post edited by Kharma on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2014

Kharma said:
    GussNemo and adbc thank you very much...it was fun learning how to use Bryce, I hope its not just beginner luck :)

Bryce is always fun. Bryce is the funnest program of all. Press buttons, twiddle dials, see what you come up with, It's a lovely program to play in, and yet it can produce some of the most stunning artworks going.

one thing to remember, is to save. Bryce has incremental saves, so once you save the first effort, make sure it has a number, like my image 01. Then once that is saved, twiddle. If you get something you think you may like press "Save AS" rather than save and Bryce automagically calls that Image 2 and so on. So you can then compare and see which you like best, and if you do crash, well you haven't lost a lot, cos you have the other versions to go back to.

edit, Hmm how strange my spell checker allows "funnest" but doesn' like "automagically"

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,386
    edited January 2014

Lovely entries from Adbc and Dwsel

hansmar said:

@mermaid010: you could of course also make some bricks or tiles yourself, with mortar in between? In that case you may want to have some concrete-type material with cracks in them. You can always change the colours a bit if needed.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm working on the textures for the droplets and the ground.

Bryce is always fun. Bryce is the funnest program of all. Press buttons, twiddle dials, see what you come up with, It's a lovely program to play in, and yet it can produce some of the most stunning artworks going.

I agree with you it is one of the funniest and most enjoyable program I'm using, but sometimes it helps to know which buttons are the right ones to press. Working on the droplet for my entry is a challenge in itself.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,536
    edited December 1969

@dwsel_ - the landscape looks great.

@adbc - very cool underwater scene.

There are programs with which you can struggle and labour. Bryce is limited to fun.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,893
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    hansmar said:
    Kharma said:
    @hansmar ... thank you. could you be a bit more specific on how I would change the material size, where would I discover that setting?

Of course.
    Go to materials editor (the M when you select an object).
    Bring up the texture editor (arrow 1), greenish dot
    Use the 'scale control' (arrow 2). Just play and see what happens.

And: follow several tutorials by the Master of Bryce: David Brinnen. I learned so much from his tutorials (and he publishes them sometimes faster than I can follow!)

Have fun!

(Edit: Oops, wrong picture!)

There are 3 different textures, how do I know which to change? I assume they each affect the texture in a different way?

Well. I guess trial and error works best. Indeed, it is highly possible that different textures lead to different results. You will want the one that makes the rather big lines on the mountains.
    Hope you find it.

edited December 1969

I agree with the others on the fun of Bryce. It is my favourite software to play with.

@adbc: very nice underwater scene!

edited December 1969

mermaid010, horo and hasmar : thank you for your kind comments.

I love Bryce too, it's fun to work with. Still a lot to learn but the tutorials are a big help.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

adbc: very nice underwater scene...I really like the city....pink lake city is good also...
    Kharma: very good first render!!

Post edited by Trish on
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi folks:

Time for me to toss an entry into the H2O challenge. ( Although with all the great entries so far, it will be a tough challenge to enter )

My entry is "Island Retreat" which actually started out as just a small part as a background scene in a bigger render but the larger project just got too out of hand so I called it quits on this.

The figures are V3 and V4 models with altered materials for their clothing. The main "Lodge" started out as village street models from DAZ Studio that I merged into one structure and converted the material textures on. Same with the barn. The quanset type hut in bacfkground was made from primitives as was the gas drum, dock and the boat as well as the wind turbine. The terrain in foreground was modified with an image created in PSP and the landscape assigned also created and imported into the material lab. Finally the Huey model is from VP which was originally military green, but I changed the surface materials to make it civilian.

Have a great weekend and Best of Luck to all the entries.

Bruce

Island_Retreat_Final.jpg
    1514 x 857 - 158K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@adbc: Love the underwater scene. Looks like those buildings have been there a while.

@Bruce: Real nice scene.

Well, plan A for my fountain fell into the loo. So I came up with a plan B. The image below is a WIP, rendered before fiddling with lighting. I'll post the final results after it finishes rendering.

Fountain_Assembly_21.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - nice looking scene. The models look great.

@GussNemo - that brings the fountain in focus, well done. That fountain must be huge if we look at the size of the benches.

edited December 1969

@bullit35744
    @GussNemo
    Thank your for your comments.
    @gosthac : very realistic scene

edited December 1969

Been too much in caves lately ...

Title: Wet Cave
    Product used: none
    Two default grey terrains, the ground plane, one cube, 6 parallel light sheets TA optimised with coloured hypertexture gels and a radial for specularity. Rendered premium with TA and 256 rpp. Minor adjustments in Photoshop.

WetCave.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 376K
    edited December 1969

@goshtac: Very nice and serene scene.

@GussNemo. The scene really brings out the fountain very well. However, not only does it look enormous compared to the benches, but then the benches look rather big compared to the trees. All in all it looks a bit strange. But the fountain looks teriffic!

@Horo: Wow, great cave scene!

edited February 2014

@Horo: Thank you. Yes, I wanted the fountain to appear huge, hence the size of the benches. Since that image is only a WIP I may tweak things a bit after the render finishes so I can see the total results.

@Hansmar: Thanks. I sized the benches so the fountain would look large in comparison. As to the trees, they are young, small, and further back from the fountain. Because the benches are closer to the camera, they will look larger than the young trees. At least that's my explanation, and I'm sticking to it. :cheese: I've a TA render cooking at the moment, and when it finishes and I can see the rendered results I may tweak things a bit. I may even try an HDRI render to see if there's any difference, and time.

EDIT: Finally, after 14+ hours, over two days, the render is complete. This one, which I showed as a WIP, was done using TA, 64 RPP, 4 MRD, soft shadows, and Bryce sun.

This is a brand new park, in its primary stages; grass and flowers planted, path constructed, some trees planted, benches for those who wish to sit and admire the view, and a nice big fountain. I'm calling the scene "Source of life." This is my first entry, a second will soon be posted.

Fountain_Assembly_23.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Entry 2 from me. A similar theme with an added touch of fantasy. Buildings modelled by me, imports include some trees and the boat and figure.

sentinel_copy.jpg
    1113 x 626 - 758K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,386
    edited December 1969

Beautiful entries from everyone.

Guss - I'm happy to see the fountain here.

edited February 2014

@orbital: That's a beautiful scene. Nice work. Model is really nice. Please check your PM.

@mermaid: Thank you.

Here is my second entry, another version of my fountain scene. The title is "Summer Solstice."

Fountain_Assembly_26.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo: OK, I see you're explanation. And then suddenly the trees krept closer and I think that had a good season too, because they appear much larger now ;) I like your last version very much!

@orbital: great fantasy scene! Nice depth in your scene.

I'm still struggling with froth on waves seen very close. Haven't found a reasonable solution yet. Does anybody have an idea? I did try 'froth' material and 'combers', but up close it doesn't provide the white foam that I want. And clouds are too separat in material from the wave itself. I'll keep struggling!

edited December 1969

@hansmar: Thank you. I always have trouble with perspective in any landscape I do. Knowing what it is and actually making it look right are two things I've yet to master. As to your question, maybe this video http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/shoreline.html will help you to some degree.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Second entry - it’s a little like the ‘Magdalene’ work done some time back: in that two renders are used - here, the first, obviously, the picture (painting of pool) itself, and, second, the entire view below.

Had intended to do just a normal, swimming pool view, however, went with this as wanted something different.

Title: Swimmer at an exhibition”

Jay

swimmer.jpg
    1707 x 880 - 972K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited February 2014

Guss: Your fountain turned out really nice!! The water looks so real.

Jay: I almost feel like I could walk into the painting for a swim ...neat idea....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@orbital - beautiful scene.

@GussNemo - water looks much better.

@Jamahoney - great idea, nicely done.

edited December 1969

Cheers, Trish and Horo....I would just love to have a pool like that....sigh, splish and splash ;)

Jay

edited February 2014

I took hansmar's advice and adjusted the texture on the mountain side and now the tree roots aren't so gigantic and upped the render setting to high priority ... how much difference does this make?

Fog on the Lake

EDIT changed render to higher resolution

fog_on_the_water3lg.jpg
    2000 x 969 - 224K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Second entry - it’s a little like the ‘Magdalene’ work done some time back: in that two renders are used - here, the first, obviously, the picture (painting of pool) itself, and, second, the entire view below.

Had intended to do just a normal, swimming pool view, however, went with this as wanted something different.

Title: Swimmer at an exhibition”

Jay

Clever idea, well done.
    edited December 1969

Kharma...love the fog effect.

Cheers, Orbital ;) Shadow of swimmer looks weird, but...a shadow falls where it has to, I guess.

Jay

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Cheers, Orbital ;) Shadow of swimmer looks weird, but...a shadow falls where it has to, I guess.

Jay

Actually looking at the shadow in conjunction with the wallpaper texture, it actually looks a bit like Tasmanian Devil or Taz cartoon character.
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Jay

thanks Jamahoney :)