DAZ Studio 4.12 ... Face creation abilities????

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Dave230 said:
    thd777 said:

The output is 4k*4k. It obviously won't be that good unless the source is also high res.

I think he wants to know if there's a limitation on the source resolution.  Facegen limits its source textures to 1024 x 1024.  That's like Genesis 1 resolution.  For Genesis 8, I think users expect better resolution.  We have multi core GPUs and multi-threaded CPU processors today, so I think we can get better resolution than that.

FaceGen has a feature where you choose a texture set from your DAZ Studio texture sets and then it adjusts it's facegen generated texture sets and ORs those with the DAZ 3D texture set you chose so then your FaceGen generated texture set will wind up at the resolution of the texture set you chose from your DAZ Studio install to be ORed with. So mine are winding up at 4096x4096 for the face, arms, legs, and torso while the eyes are 1024x1024.

Of course the source images used to make the Facegen morph needs to be significantly more than 4096x4096 if it isn't a tight set of head shots.  You can choose a source image at much higher that 1024x1024 resolution in FaceGen. I've done it.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Redz said:

Here's a quick and dirty comparison with the other app I own, Facegen Artist Pro 2, using a high res resource image for the face. The output textures are the same size, 4098, but the quality is not as crisp with the FaceTransfer utility. Neither is perfect. I used the Face Transfer generated shaders for both.

Well, it's clear FaceGen is better although I will still windup buying Face Transfer in hope of future improvements while it's on sale cheap.

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited September 2019

Here is a couple actors. They came out ok. Karen looks the best out of these 2.  This is straight renders no post work.

KAren_FT_TEst1.jpg
    1066 x 599 - 223K
    Damon_FT_Test1.jpg
    1066 x 599 - 386K
    Post edited by ChadCrypto on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

Sorry that it isn't a render, but just a quick test that I've posted to DevianArt: https://www.deviantart.com/n-rarts/art/Face-Transfer-Test-Nyotengu-814528257

• I was curious to see how it would handle a non-standard human face. Actually, it did better than I expected, but the eyes were clearly a bit too much for it.

Jason

fun test.jpg
    1210 x 930 - 177K
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    edited September 2019
    Can someone do some tests on old(er) people and post.
    Post edited by mwokee on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

You know, to be fair, the examples shown aren't that much different in resemblance or quality from the ones in the promo banner.  If that's the best Daz could do with images they expect to sell the add-on, then we better not get our hopes up.   Gonna remove it from my cart pending some improvements, like multiple source images, or something.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited September 2019

I would never expect a tool like this to be perfect - but from what I have seen and my own quick tests, it could be a very useful tool. Great for background characters or as a starting point for further editing. I'm very happy to have it. Careful selection of the source image will be very important - of course you can edit that before using Face Transfer.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • I literally cannot find this. I redownloaded the Public Beta (always use beta first for a while). And I cannot find this.

•  

mwokee said:
    Can someone do some tests on old(er) people and post.

Here's one of Sir Ian McKellan as an example. Honestly, Not a huge fan of how this turned out.

Jason

Ian McKellan.jpg
    1046 x 894 - 186K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

Here

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 311K
  • Thanx for screen shot. Does not appear in my panes list.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2019

MM wonder why. I just purchased it. Along with Facegen it will be an extra tool. I have a more basic Facegen so it only does G1 & 2. I had store credit so it only cost me $20.00

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Dave230 said:

I tried it out, and I think the big downside is that it doesn't accept any user input.

You can't remove asymmetry, specify custom skin maps to use, adjust the shape points (or see where they're plotted), or make any kind of face adjustment.  You're locked in to what it creates, and can't do anything else to make last minute corrections.

It also failed on some faces, so you can't force it to accept any image you choose.
    "Face Transfer failed to generate.  Try a different source image."

And I don't know what this error message means.  It pops up every time:
    "Face Transfer failed to load the base material preset.
    The image will still transfer, but with reduced quality."

I created a feature request in the DAZ Help Center to add an option to the face transfer to mirror the morph to address the asymmetry issue.  Some faces that have hair covering just one side can cause distortion on that side but the other side is fine.  If we could mirror the morph left to right or right to left the user could easily fix it.  You could open your own feature request to help increase the demand for such a feature.

• Here is a couple actors. They came out ok. Karen looks the best out of these 2.  This is straight renders no post work.

It looks like the problem with the space between the nose the top lip being too big and the lips smushed in still exists in release as it was in beta.  This seems to be the largest glaring issue with the shapes generated.

• If it only created morphs, it would still be well worth the price. It is an invaluable tool. It is not a perfect tool. Same can be said for facegen.

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 711
    edited September 2019

Hello All,

Ok, I have done it, I have upgraded to version 4.12.   Soooo, where is it?  Where is the Face Transfer?  I can't find it.

Also I have seen that they added the 'conditions' to the update page in which that you can use the program unlimted but it has a watermark.  And it mentions the three free saves without the watermark.  I am assuming that you do have control over this so that you can try out some faces and if one comes out really good then you can commit it to a save?

Oh yeah, and the timeline got a serious update.  So I have something new to figure out there.

Thanks!

Geo

Post edited by jukingeo on
  • Redz said:

Here's a quick and dirty comparison with the other app I own, Facegen Artist Pro 2, using a high res resource image for the face. The output textures are the same size, 4098, but the quality is not as crisp with the FaceTransfer utility. Neither is perfect. I used the Face Transfer generated shaders for both.

Hmmm, it seems that by initial glance Facegen looks better.  BUT looking at some details, things like the nose FaceTransfer did better.  But with the eyes and eyebrows, I think Facegen did better.  The mouth seems a bit indifferent.   Hard to judge.  I had only tried out Headshop and I didn't like all the hoop jumping you had to do with that program in setting the points and stuff and still it didn't do such a great job.  Even back then I had wondered if Facegen was better, but I was reading that it doesn't handle smiling faces as good as Headshop did.  BTW, how does FaceTransfer deal with wide smiles?  It seems like it does slight smiles and no smiles pretty good.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

My question is can you tweak the final/saved version ,is it a morph or a texture?

• thd777thd777 Posts: 933
    carrie58 said:

My question is can you tweak the final/saved version ,is it a morph or a texture?

Both, you get a face textuyre and a morph.

TD

• jukingeo said:

Hello All,

Ok, I have done it, I have upgraded to version 4.12.   Soooo, where is it?  Where is the Face Transfer?  I can't find it.

Also I have seen that they added the 'conditions' to the update page in which that you can use the program unlimted but it has a watermark.  And it mentions the three free saves without the watermark.  I am assuming that you do have control over this so that you can try out some faces and if one comes out really good then you can commit it to a save?

Oh yeah, and the timeline got a serious update.  So I have something new to figure out there.

Thanks!

Geo

Make sure you have the latest update for Genesis 8 Essentials.

Load the figure.

Select the head.

Go to Windows menus>Panes>Face Transfer.

My pane attached to where my tabs for parameters, shaping are.

• Dave230 said:

I tried it out, and I think the big downside is that it doesn't accept any user input.

You can't remove asymmetry, specify custom skin maps to use, adjust the shape points (or see where they're plotted), or make any kind of face adjustment.  You're locked in to what it creates, and can't do anything else to make last minute corrections.

It also failed on some faces, so you can't force it to accept any image you choose.

That's a bummer. I guess you can't apply expressions and such to it either. I would think you should be able to export the model to Hexagon or something like that. I guess the whole purpose of the plug-in is just to "sort of" copy someone's face "as is".

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071
    edited September 2019

Having an option to remove asymmetry should help, and should be easy to add, but it's a start to get some correction options in there.

I have two more issues.  My source photo has a closed mouth, but Face Transfer pulls the lips apart, so the mouth doesn't look fully closed.  It's also flattening the entire lip area, like a thinning effect.

And when the source photo has long hair covering the ears and touching the shoulders, the face morph suffers from huge neck syndrome.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Finlaena said:

Ooooo, Face Creation? Sounds co---

Windows Only.

... Oh. :/

Yeah, I was wondering if it was Windows only. Thanks for confirming.

• Dave230 said:

That's a bummer. I guess you can't apply expressions and such to it either. I would think you should be able to export the model to Hexagon or something like that. I guess the whole purpose of the plug-in is just to "sort of" copy someone's face "as is".

Once it's done, it's like any other figure - you can apply subsequent morphs if you've got them (e.g. mix with Vicky 8, or use the Head Morphs pack) and expressions. (There's no guarantee the expressions will look right, I guess it depends how extreme the morph is.

• Quite a surprise to find that this new feature is actually just a bit of a teaser and not a fully functional addition -- it isn't a free part of the new version of Studio except as a watermarked end product (after the first 3).  If you want to use a different Mat for the figure, then that isn't an issue, but if you want the figure with all the correct wrinkles, moles, scars, etc. etc. then you will have to buy the full version.

• It's still not showing up under Panes. I did the full install of 4.12. Still no pane. Moved my content from 4.10. Tried looking for the pane. Uninstalled 4.10, restarted computer, opened 4.12 loaded up G8M, selected Head, and there is still not Face Transfer Pane.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,262
    edited September 2019

Finally finished downloading just as the website crashed again. Installed the key, found a decent portrait photo [legal download] and WOW! I am impressed. One loads their image into the plugin and it computes, and flash ... new morph wearing new texture! Having done some texture work, I am impressed. Oh yes I said that already. It loaded as accurately as could be done.

The way the plugin saves everything is into a scene subset preset. The way I saved things then was to confirm where the textures were and make a material preset. Found where it tucks the scene presets ... moving on ... found the morph on the Parameters Tab, fixed the bones and tucked it into a different folder and saved the new morph to my own folders. [prevents overwriting whatever the scene preset did - I hope].

"to prevent conflict" one can let the installer remove the previous edition ... and while the installer's screens were not saying 4.12, it was 4.12 that it installed.

Selecting Head has nothing to do with finding the Windows Pane. {edit: the head is selected so the plugin will work on it} Up top of the program is a word "Windows" - click on there and under Tabs [long list] one finds the Face Transfer, click on that, then the pane is opened and you can put it wherever you want it.

Have fun :-)

wow I'm impressed.png
    1206 x 889 - 690K
    007 impressive.png
    1372 x 856 - 1M
    Windows Pane Tabs.png
    583 x 340 - 30K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Did we determine if morphs created were able to be use commercially?
  • It's still not showing up under Panes. I did the full install of 4.12. Still no pane. Moved my content from 4.10. Tried looking for the pane. Uninstalled 4.10, restarted computer, opened 4.12 loaded up G8M, selected Head, and there is still not Face Transfer Pane.

And you're on Windows 64 bit, yes?