DAZ Studio 4.12 ... Face creation abilities????

Comments

• DripDrip Posts: 1,184

So, does this only use frontal images? Or is there some option (or a planned option, would be nice to hear something from the developers on this) to include side-shots for improved accuracy?

• jukingeo said:
    jukingeo said:

Got it! What a weird place to put it! 

All panes are listed under Window>Panes(Tabs).

Yeah, but I didn't know it was a Pane so it became a pain to find it.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957
    edited September 2019

Can we get more renders without/replace the horrible "texture" so we can see the actual morphs? I'm only here for the morphs and the wretched 1024x1024 photo superimposed on the models doesn't show off the morphs at all...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • PhilW said:

@jukingeo  - to remove the shine that is transferring to your character, try editing the source image to remove the shine. A bit of cloning from neighbouring areas should fix it. I find that anything in the source image is then baked into the character - for example if the photo has a marked smile, then that is baked into the character and it is then difficult to have a non-smiling character.  Sometimes, editing the image first is going to be key to getting a good Face Transfer.

I guess I could play with it, but she is one of my favorite actresses and I have many pictures of her.  But if they don't turn out well then I will try those tricks out.

Thanks, Geo

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835

I installed the 4.12 but cant find the face transfer. But wen i install 4.12 it says see picture

when I start daz it is 4.12

Daz Probleem.JPG
    508 x 68 - 16K
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071
    edited September 2019

Facegen is nowhere near accurate even with 3 photos. This is hard stuff.

If you had a black box that could generate any face in the world (millions of faces), you wouldn't need to rely only on the information from the picture to create a full 3d face.  You would just need some important landmarks, and use that as input into your black box, and presto, you have a face.

You may notice that facegen has a button that can generate random faces.  It doesn't transfer the picture to 3d, as you might imagine. I think it only extracts landmarks and uses that as input into its own black box and generates a 3d face from it.  Because your face is already in its black box.  It just needs to find the correct inputs to output it.

So, if Face Transfer uses a more traditional way of converting pictures to 3d, then I think it's going to need more photos with different angles.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321
    Ati said:
    Petercat said:

The Key is right now 50% off!!!

Where do you find the key?

https://www.daz3d.com/face-transfer-unlimited

Thanks.
    It was obvious, wasn't it?
    I blame a lack of coffee. Never enough coffee.

• Havos said:
    Richard,I am sorry, I haven't seen an answer posted, are the morphs created able to be use commercially?

Regardless of the DAZ rules, bear in mind that if you use a real persons image as part of your work, in theory you need model rights from that person. This is particularly true for celebrities who protect their image rights strongly.

Yes, but if I want to use my likeness from childhood pictures, but because of someone owning the technology it hampers me from using my likeness, I don't want to waste my money. I know one or both of the other systems allows you to use your morphs commercially.
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

It takes a LOT of tweaking. After many, many extra morphs and hours, it still all falls apart at the profile. One front shot just isn't enough.

Laurie

FaceTransfer01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 394K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2019

I agree some work need to be done after transferring its very simple to use. Good ol Mel I used him as a M4 character few years back

d7kjltq-8b57a879-3901-46c9-adae-1b68b28fd198.png
    1600 x 851 - 2M
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,793
    edited September 2019

Well, this went REALLY wrong lol... I guess you can't have a photo with long hair.

Sofia Vergara.JPG
    277 x 336 - 20K
    Sofia Vergara Error.JPG
    931 x 1085 - 63K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

Well, this went REALLY wrong lol...

LMAO

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I bought it too, not because I'm going to use it instead of FaceGen, which i don't use that much either anyway, but because I have all the serials bought for the other DAZ Studio plugins already and not having just this one was bugging me. laugh Although if it improves beyond what FaceGen does I will use it when I do such things.

edited September 2019

Well, this went REALLY wrong lol... I guess you can't have a photo with long hair.

GaaAAaaH! Yes, yes it did!laugh

Can we get more renders without/replace the horrible "texture" so we can see the actual morphs? I'm only here for the morphs and the wretched 1024x1024 photo superimposed on the models doesn't show off the morphs at all...

Nevermind, I used it on a figure and it just smooths out the face, I'll try another photo though, just to be sure...

UPDATE: I'm doing a morph for someone, and I thought I'd use this as a base to start, yet it doesn't even resemble her, so it looks like it's the dials/ZBrush for me until this tech matures!

YEAH, NO, THIS IS CRAP, BUT A DECENT START2.png
    1439 x 791 - 801K
    YEAH, NO, THIS IS CRAP, BUT A DECENT START.png
    1382 x 706 - 851K
    edited September 2019

Sooo, not having much luck... Margot Robbie Face Transfer and then with Mousso's Ryleigh texture....

Margo Robbie.JPG
    308 x 471 - 27K
    Margo Robbie Test.png
    800 x 1000 - 1007K
    Margot Robbie Side.JPG
    1055 x 1418 - 207K
    Margo Robbie Ryleigh.JPG
    1163 x 1667 - 232K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,886

Nevermind, I used it on a figure and it just smooths out the face, I'll try another photo though, just to be sure...

UPDATE: I'm doing a morph for someone, and I thought I'd use this as a base to start, yet it doesn't even resemble her, so it looks like it's the dials/ZBrush for me until this tech matures!

That honestly looks like someone used the smooth brush in Zbrush on the whole face. Details are gone. I can only guess that the idea was to let the texture provide all the detail and not let the geometry get in the way.

I've noticed that it tends to make the lips thin, the nose point down and doesn't affect the eyes barely at all...

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited September 2019

I really like the morphs created by Face Transfer, especially with the materials from the other figures.

I have started with Genesis 8 Male and applied Diego 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/diego-8

and Dylan - https://www.daz3d.com/dylan-for-michael-8 - materials to the character created by Face Transfer.

Diego01pic01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 247K
    Dylan01pic01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 234K
    Post edited by Artini on

From the little experiments I ran so far, it seems the mouth area really gets flattened a lot. Parts of the eyes also seem to end up on the skin, as replacing the skin makes the eyes become much smaller. The model image I used (an actual reference model for 3D-modelling, I picked a mugshot with the hair pulled back in a ponytail) also has slightly a-symetric eyes, with one eye tilted slightly more than the other, which wasn't returned in the resulting figure. Maybe one of the other reference photos will return a better result, but I strongly believe this software needs the use of additional reference photo's, like side views, at least as an option.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,262
    edited September 2019

I've noticed with the few portrait images I have that there seems to be a weakness against making ladies with square jaws ... so I tried something and it worked better [made for a thicker neck though], I used a man's photo on the lady [female setting - you want the right starter textures] to get the morph and then applied a texture for a woman.

use one image for morph another for texture.png
    1185 x 775 - 752K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Artini said:

I really like the morphs created by Face Transfer, especially with the materials from the other figures.

I have started with Genesis 8 Male and applied Diego 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/diego-8

and Dylan - https://www.daz3d.com/dylan-for-michael-8 - materials to the character created by Face Transfer.

The wrinkles on the forehead & around the eyes on that second fellow are completely misplaced,

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331

Yes, you are right. Time to switch materials again.

edited September 2019

That honestly looks like someone used the smooth brush in Zbrush on the whole face. Details are gone. I can only guess that the idea was to let the texture provide all the detail and not let the geometry get in the way.

Yep, it's pretty much the same with most of these programs, yet I do not doubt that once this tech matures, then we will be able to see that actual morphs are matched from the pictures, so yeah, I cannot wait until they quit relying on projecting pictures and concentrate on the actual morphs... just using projected pictures is just lazy I applaud the effort though, it just needs more work.

• stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 357
    edited September 2019

Mmmm. It's called Face Transfer. And that appears to be what it does. Only had a quick play with it so far, Doesn't attempt to create a face morph, just applies a texture to a something similar kind of morph ???? All the face morph settings are at 0. Interesting...

Face Transfer for the texture ?
    Facegen for the morph ?

The textures do seem a bit dark, anybody any good with Photoshop...
    S.

Post edited by stephenschoon on

Mmmm. It's called Face Transfer. And that appears to be what it does. Only had a quick play with it so far, Doesn't attempt to create a face morph, just applies a texture to a something similar kind of morph ???? All the face morph settings are at 0. Interesting...

Facegen for the morph ?

S.

Although all the morph sliders stay at 0, the thing does make changes to the mesh. Supposedly, it can also save the mesh changes as a morph, but I just haven't had an acceptable result yet to hit that save button.

Drip said:

Facegen for the morph ?

S.

Although all the morph sliders stay at 0, the thing does make changes to the mesh. Supposedly, it can also save the mesh changes as a morph, but I just haven't had an acceptable result yet to hit that save button.

If you look in parameters under Head, you will find a slider for Face Transfer so you can dial it down or out. It's a separate morph.

• Mmmm. It's called Face Transfer. And that appears to be what it does. Only had a quick play with it so far, Doesn't attempt to create a face morph, just applies a texture to a something similar kind of morph ???? All the face morph settings are at 0. Interesting...

Facegen for the morph ?The textures do seem a bit dark, anybody any good with Photoshop...
    S.

Just been having a play with FaceGen, haven't touched it in ages, the textures are better than I remember, except for the eyes.

I think Face Transfer must use some base morphs of its own. While FaceGen did a good job of the profile, except for the nose (I used 3 photos), Face Transfer made a better job of the nose even though the rest of the profile was pretty poor.

I suppose the next thing to try is the Face Transfer texture with the FaceGen morph.
    S.

The facegen G2 I made of the same character that I tried with Face transfer earlier is 100 times better out of the box..

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited September 2019

here are a few face transfers i tried

30AAD544-82BA-4C80-8F15-5856B031DE4C.png
    649 x 861 - 946K
    080CA38F-0B7D-46AB-8199-34C67C6414EB.png
    649 x 861 - 671K
    985D4CE7-1F11-44D1-9FC2-9904FF31C857.png
    649 x 861 - 681K
    Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

Hayden Panetierre?