ToonyCam Pro: Toon renders, anyone? :) [Commercial] [Contest]

Comments

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Oh, I thought I'd also mention: I plan to give a free copy of OutlineCam to everyone who has purchased ToonyCam, though it will be a separate product. :)

OutlineCam doesn't affect other features of the render, e.g. it doesn't impose a toon effect. The only options it has are with regard to outline type and width, and color vs. outline only. This is a demonstration of two renders, one with outlines and full color, the other with outlines only, blended together. (No, the camera doesn't do this, I'm afraid... I did use Photoshop to composite the two images.)

Looks great.

Will the new sketchcam do outlines as well?

--Walt Sterdan

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

wsterdan said:
    zigraphix said:
    Oh, I thought I'd also mention: I plan to give a free copy of OutlineCam to everyone who has purchased ToonyCam, though it will be a separate product. :)

OutlineCam doesn't affect other features of the render, e.g. it doesn't impose a toon effect. The only options it has are with regard to outline type and width, and color vs. outline only. This is a demonstration of two renders, one with outlines and full color, the other with outlines only, blended together. (No, the camera doesn't do this, I'm afraid... I did use Photoshop to composite the two images.)

Looks great.

--Walt Sterdan

But of course. :)

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985
    edited April 2014

Loving this plug in even more so now (though still loved it heaps before hand) that I have gotten some idea of Outline ID now love how it defines parts of the picture very cool here are too pics I did.. On top of that I have pumped out a 14 page comic in about 3 days too.. lol

Naughty.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 1016K
    Hello_There.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 927K
    Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • edited December 1969

any news on that update Zig?

edited December 1969

al_iguana said:

DIM updated mine on Thursday night, I imagine yours should be there somewhere.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    wsterdan said:
    zigraphix said:

Looks great.

--Walt Sterdan

But of course. :)

Will you be starting a new thread to rev up our excitement? I'm really looking forward to this one too.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited December 1969

Yes, but not this week.... I have graduate research I need to get caught up on. :)

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Yes, but not this week.... I have graduate research I need to get caught up on. :)

Well, obviously your priorities differ from mine. ;-)

Thanks for the reply, hope your research goes well and I'll be watching for some new samples in a few weeks.

Thanks again for another great product, the update to ToonyCam Pro is excellent.

-- Walt Sterdan

• edited December 1969

wsterdan said:
    al_iguana said:

DIM updated mine on Thursday night, I imagine yours should be there somewhere.

-- Walt Sterdan

aha yeah, so it has, thanks :)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Will this still outline portions of objects that I have set to "0" opacity? (so that they are not visible in the scene)

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Will this still outline portions of objects that I have set to "0" opacity? (so that they are not visible in the scene)

A quick test says, "Yes"; I'll try and find some time this evening to test other settings. If you have the item set to not visible in render, though, regardless of the opacity settings it doesn't appear in renders (though it can be visible in the set-up). Is there a particular item or part of an item you'd like tested?

-- Walt Sterdan

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:

It depends on the outline method you choose. The "Outline ID" method will not outline transparent mesh. However, the Normal and Depth methods will. You can use these selectively in the scene, at least somewhat. See the tutorial included in the product (or the draft linked from the first post in this thread) for more details.

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    3doutlaw said:

It depends on the outline method you choose. The "Outline ID" method will not outline transparent mesh. However, the Normal and Depth methods will. You can use these selectively in the scene, at least somewhat. See the tutorial included in the product (or the draft linked from the first post in this thread) for more details.

Ah, you beat me to it! I finally found a few minutes to test the various settings and, while I'm writing it up, you swoop in and save the day! ;)

Thanks,
    Walt Sterdan

• mellow2.tnkmellow2.tnk Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Does anyone have a video tutorial? The problem is that I installed DAZ in a weird location, so I don't know if that's the problem or not.

edited December 1969

Does anyone have a video tutorial? The problem is that I installed DAZ in a weird location, so I don't know if that's the problem or not.

I'll try to put one together by this weekend, but if anyone else has time and wants to make one, that would be fine with me.

Meanwhile, if you can describe what's happening, including what you're doing and any error or log messages you're getting, I can try to give advice. Have you checked the troubleshooting section of the documentation? And do other scripts work? How about other custom shaders? The last 10-20 lines of the log file are often helpful in figuring out if DAZ Studio is having problems finding files.

edited April 2014

Having a rather odd issue with the latest version of ToonyCam Pro in that if I work on one picture render it save and then open another picture check everything is alright and then go to render I get a black screen and no picture.. And so far the only way to fix it is to close down Daz Studio then start up again and reload the picture check settings and then click render and it renders..

So not sure what or why it happens but it does for me at least..

Ok just had a weird thing happen, I closed one picture and opened another and tried to render and nothing happened, so I thought turn off outlines and set back to default render and well it rendered the picture but with the outlines of the previous picture as well.. So not sure what is happening but something is going weird..

Well I can get it to behave itself, but only by rendering from another camera before going back to the Toon Camera once I do that then it renders properly..

edited December 1969

I've had problems like this, as well. I think it's an issue with Shader Mixer, which I used to make the camera. Please report it to DAZ in a support ticket.

edited April 2014

zigraphix said:
    I've had problems like this, as well. I think it's an issue with Shader Mixer, which I used to make the camera. Please report it to DAZ in a support ticket.

Sent in a ticket but looking at the log file on the last few lines I get this error: WARNING: Unhandled error while executing DAZ Script.
    WARNING: QScriptEngine::popContext() doesn't match with pushContext()
    as it says after that there was a Total Rendering Time: 0.25 seconds..

Also though I am not 100% sure but I don't think I had this problem with the first version but unfortunately I didn't save the original version.. :(

edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    zigraphix said:

Sent in a ticket but looking at the log file on the last few lines I get this error: WARNING: Unhandled error while executing DAZ Script.
    WARNING: QScriptEngine::popContext() doesn't match with pushContext()
    as it says after that there was a Total Rendering Time: 0.25 seconds..

Also though I am not 100% sure but I don't think I had this problem with the first version but unfortunately I didn't save the original version.. :(

I got this kind of problem with all versions. I will look at my copy to see if I can find an error in my render script.

edited April 2014

Ahh cool thank you just I really love using your plugin for my comics.. :) And yeah wasn't 100% sure on the old version..

• mellow2.tnkmellow2.tnk Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

So the previous errors were caused by installing daz in a weird place. After I did a reinstall, everything worked for about an hour.

However, when I reopen daz, none of the outline options work anymore.

Basically, here are the steps I do.

1. Set up toony camera (works)
    2. set up "render outline on" (works)
    3. add something to scene (works)
    4. add "outline only" (doesn't work. In fact, none of the outline options work. Shading options doesn't work. Shading outlines doesn't work. Outline styles doesn't work.)

No matter what option I try to add, the final render always looks like the pic below. The only thing I want is a black-white outline. It worked perfectly for that first hour, but then it stopped.

6.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 184K
    4.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 174K
    3.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 207K
    2.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 195K
    1.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 230K
    edited December 1969

Be sure you select the camera in the scene before double-clicking the options....

• XxGreyxXXxGreyxX Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I've testing this product over the last few weeks and I love it! Thank you creating this great product, Zig! Please see a render I did recently below using Toony Cam Pro.

Fury-Soldier-Oceania.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 431K
  • BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

This may sound like a stupid question but what are the settings to getting the outline without the color? The outline only preset does not seem to want to work for me.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,346
    edited December 1969

This may sound like a stupid question but what are the settings to getting the outline without the color? The outline only preset does not seem to want to work for me.

Select camera. In parameters tab select Toon, set to 0% Image Strenght dial.

edited December 1969

Do you applied the preset selecting the toon camera?

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

Hmm... I don't see the option for image strength under the parameter tab. All I have is shading levels and shading blend. Yeah I apply the preset to the camera.

edited December 1969

Hmm... I don't see the option for image strength under the parameter tab. All I have is shading levels and shading blend. Yeah I apply the preset to the camera.

Do you have the last version of the shader? I think that "image strength" is the new name of the parameter which controls the colour

edited December 1969

In one older version of the camera, I think I used "Outline Strength" instead of "Image Strength" as the name of the dial. But if you download the newest version, you'll get several bug fixes and new features. :)

XxGreyxX, awesome picture! :)

• XxGreyxXXxGreyxX Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Zigraphix! :lol: