ToonyCam Pro: Toon renders, anyone? :) [Commercial] [Contest]

zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
edited March 2014 in The Commons

UPDATE:
Draft documentation to answer commonly addressed questions: please feel free to post comments and suggestions in this thread. It is a work in progress, not yet complete. More images and step-by-step directions will be added. But I wanted to get this out to users as quickly as possible, even though it is incomplete.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n7mPRLSxFgXVwofDngHiKxtEDpWahevPOuV_b9JCTGE/edit?usp=sharing

--

No postwork! :lol:

000-BotGenesis.png
500 x 650 - 501K
Post edited by zigraphix on

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Sooooo whatcha teasing us with Zig?? Looks really cool ...... got more to show???

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited February 2014

Tee hee hee...

have I got more to show?

01-visual-style.png
    500 x 650 - 446K
    mangastyle.jpg
    500 x 650 - 289K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Ooooo crap!! .........you just made my wallet cry ......

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    No postwork! :lol:

I especially like the black and white one, very impressive.

Credit card standing by...

-- Walt Sterdan

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

Ohhhhhhhh! Is it the scripted outline in which you had been working? It looks very robust. More details please!

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
    edited December 1969

I like the first and third as they would be good in animation, the second one reminds me more of what you see in comics and manga. All three are lovely.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited February 2014

I'm in love with that 3rd image, as it's very anime-esque. Bright and colourful and ripe for playing with. So, is this upcoming product a new type of camera or is it a shader set?

Edit: Also, what's that outfit HItomi is wearing?

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Looking good, zigraphix.

I knew you would get there...

Love the black & white Manga one.

edited December 1969

I'm in love with that 3rd image, as it's very anime-esque. Bright and colourful and ripe for playing with. So, is this upcoming product a new type of camera or is it a shader set?

It's a camera that can be used with whatever shaders you want. :)

The second and third images show the camera being used with BishounenTaurus' Manga Style and Visual Style shaders, respectively. But the camera will create a toon cell look on any scene, with built-in outlines.

Hitomi is wearing this outfit: http://www.daz3d.com/anime-school-girl-uniform
    Hiro is wearing http://www.daz3d.com/japanese-school-uniforms-for-boys

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    . . . is this upcoming product a new type of camera or is it a shader set?

The second and third images show the camera being used with BishounenTaurus' Manga Style and Visual Style shaders, respectively. But the camera will create a toon cell look on any scene, with built-in outlines . . .
    Ooooooo, nice!

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

The second and third images show the camera being used with BishounenTaurus' Manga Style and Visual Style shaders, respectively. But the camera will create a toon cell look on any scene, with built-in outlines.

Hitomi is wearing this outfit: http://www.daz3d.com/anime-school-girl-uniform
    Hiro is wearing http://www.daz3d.com/japanese-school-uniforms-for-boysSooo glad to hear it's a camera. Might make it a little easier to adjust rather than having to completely set up all of the shaders in a scene from scratch. I'm looking forward to seeing this in store.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

Yes! yes! yes! my credit card is waiting!

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Gosh-darn it, you're going to "force" me to buy a computer powerful enough to run DS4.6, aren't you?

edited December 1969

Sooo glad to hear it's a camera. Might make it a little easier to adjust rather than having to completely set up all of the shaders in a scene from scratch. I'm looking forward to seeing this in store.

Yes, that was exactly the idea. "Point and click" simplicity. ;)

Here's an example with no custom shaders, just the textures that came with the scene items:

point-and-click.png
    500 x 650 - 586K
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

You're making my wallet very nervous.

Very.

Very.

Nervous.

edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Gosh-darn it, you're going to "force" me to buy a computer powerful enough to run DS4.6, aren't you?

Maybe, maybe... you want to be able to use Look At My Hair, right?

Which is compatible with ToonCam Pro, of course. Shown here also with Silkessence, Gathering Moss, and Slosh's Toon Girl Skin Pack. :)

02-lamh-gradient-moss-silkessence-toongirl.png
    500 x 650 - 633K
    edited February 2014

Hey! Let's have a contest! Post in this thread and answer this question: "I need ToonCam Pro for this render because..." and include a render. Winner gets a free copy of ToonCam Pro when it hits the store.

Rules:
    - Must be a DS render (because this is a DS product)
    - Must be a "new" image (not posted elsewhere previously)
    - Enter as often as you like
    - Up to 50 words of text explanation for why you need ToonCam Pro for the render. Kissing up does not count, but cleverness does. ;)
    - Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2014, midnight DAZ time

Judging criteria: the image that I decide would benefit most from a toon render wins, so bring out the anime catgirls, bouncy toon animals, bishounen manga guys, etc. The usual forum TOS does apply, of course. ;)

Edited to add: The winner will be asked to post their revised render to this thread.

First post in the thread has been updated to include the contest info, as well.

Gentlefolk, start your renders! :lol:

edited December 1969

Here's the render at the top of this page (using LAMH, etc) without ToonCam Pro:

lamh-notoon.jpg
    500 x 650 - 270K
    edited December 1969

Here is another quick "with" and "without" pair of renders -- I just threw this together in about 15 minutes. No postwork, and the only surfaces I adjusted were on the Genesis figure to set all the "Outline ID" values the same except the eyes and lips. This is the default "headlamp" lighting -- I'd probably tweak this in most cases, but for this particular style of image, I think it actually works pretty well.

The third image is the same render, but with only 1 shading level. The fourth render is outlines only (color levels = 0).

deoc-notoon-outline.jpg
    500 x 650 - 180K
    deoc-notoon-shading1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 302K
    deoc-toon.jpg
    500 x 650 - 229K
    deoc-notoon.jpg
    500 x 650 - 211K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

Ooh this looks pretty.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

This product looks exactly like what I have been waiting for. I cannot wait to see everyone's twist on this.

|:| Why Me?!? |:|

My credit card has been shot to pieces. My piggy bank has been taken away from me. And, my kitty cat is eyeing me as her next meal. I need for you to give me your ToonCam Pro so that I can draw me a Happy Ending!

whyMe.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 474K
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited February 2014

Isn't ToonCam Pro an iPhone photo app? I didn't think it was rendering software, I thought it just made your photos look like they were cel shaded.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited February 2014

Isn't ToonCam Pro an iPhone photo app? I didn't think it was rendering software, I thought it just made your photos look like they were cel shaded.

It is, but this is for a new DS camera product that Zig is working on. It just happens to have the same name.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Hm. I hadn't realized there was an iOS app of the same name. Perhaps I should change the name to avoid confusion...

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

I am really looking forward to this :) I hope there is lots of help on how to mak ethe images look as good as you ar emaking them :)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Hm. I hadn't realized there was an iOS app of the same name. Perhaps I should change the name to avoid confusion...

What about just calling it DSToonCamPro?
    As it is for DazStudio ...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    zigraphix said:

That might be more confusing, since it sounds like a DS version of the iOS app.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    zigraphix said:

That might be more confusing, since it sounds like a DS version of the iOS app.

ZigraphixToonCamPro ?

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

Hey! Let's have a contest!
    - Deadline: Friday, February 13, 2014, midnight DAZ time

I'm confused. According to my calendar, Friday is the 14th.

edited December 1969

wwes said:
    zigraphix said:

Hey! Let's have a contest!
    - Deadline: Friday, February 13, 2014, midnight DAZ time

I'm confused. According to my calendar, Friday is the 14th.

Good catch! Fixed it. Thanks!

The name will be "Camara Magic: SomethingCam", but I'm not sure what "Something" is. First person to suggest a name I like wins a free copy. :)