ToonyCam Pro: Toon renders, anyone? :) [Commercial] [Contest]

Comments

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

When you use a different surface shader on something (e.g. Manga Style), you'll generally need to run one of the utility scripts (OutlineID or Outline Depth scripts, preferably one of each) on that surface to enable outlines. This is because using a shader (not just a preset, but a new shader) replaces the parameters on the surface and doesn't keep OutlineID and Outline Depth from the previous surface parameters. This is partially covered in the current draft of the documentation, in the troubleshooting section, but I'll make it more clear. :) Thanks!

• edited December 1969

yeah, I guessed as much. Works fine though.

(actually, running in Scripted Tooncam seems to work better than Daz default, in default I get one crash maybe every 4 renders or less, in Tooncam I haven't had a single crash yet. So it's impressive for that if nothing else, but that could just be placebo affect)

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    Finding this product awesome and have already created two comics in no time flat.. The one thing I am having issues with is when I use 2d trees or products like M.O.M = Mass of Movement that simulate a crowd of people by using images of people on a transparent 2d plane the outlining of Toony Cam will outline the rectangles or squares of the 2d planes..

I had the same problem with Flipmodes environment that I used on my original render for this thread (the toon lion), especially with the grass that is made of two planes. That's why I did not yet post a revised TCPro render, but I'll try with OutlineID again and see if it works for this one too.

edited March 2014

Here's one more render I did using TCPro, this time featuring G2F, there's another one in the MM render thread as well: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/567804/

margie06.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 267K
    Post edited by bad4u on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,763
    edited December 1969

I was converting Circleman's V4 Gaia (Evolution Version) to Genesis 2F when I realized that I hadn't played with ToonyCam since I got GenX2.

Gaia_Evolution_Toony_Test_1.jpg
    1545 x 1545 - 907K
    edited December 1969

bad4u said:
    Here's one more render I did using TCPro, this time featuring G2F, there's another one in the MM render thread as well: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/567804/

Wow. :gulp: I would never have thought you could get that look from G2F with just dial spins. Nice work!

Lots of great renders in this thread. :)

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

I don't understand what's going on when I use the toon cam. My outline is out of sync with the rest of the picture?

How do I fix this?

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,346
    edited March 2014

I don't understand what's going on when I use the toon cam. My outline is out of sync with the rest of the picture?

How do I fix this?

How do you render? spot render tool or not? it looks like this?

nosync.jpg
    547 x 547 - 35K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

How do I fix this?

Make sure the outline render is still turned on. The ToonyCam Pro camera will try to render even without outlines turned on, but will attempt to use the last known outline image. And if you move the camera between renders, and then try a spot render, you'll get the old outline image.

Another one for the documentation....

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:

How do I fix this?

Yes! I was just trying to learn how to use it so I just load a character I was working on and the then the camera. No lights, used the first render setting, spot render to take a look and ...wha?

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:

How do I fix this?

Yes! I was just trying to learn how to use it so I just load a character I was working on and the then the camera. No lights, used the first render setting, spot render to take a look and ...wha?

Try a full render, rather than a spot render. Once you've done a full render, as long as you don't change the camera position, you should be able to adjust lights and try a spot render.

edited December 1969

Thanks. It seem that spot render does not play well with the toon camera.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,346
    edited March 2014

Thanks. It seem that spot render does not play well with the toon camera.

For spot render you need select an area matching the "aspect frame" square/rectangle. Outlines follows inversely the selected area in spot render. When selected area matching with render area there aren't problems. Of course, spot render is useless in this way, but I use it to preview avoiding "self-minimized" render window.

match.jpg
    814 x 897 - 76K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • kidsicaruskidsicarus Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

@zigraphix

Hello!

Purchased ToonyCam Pro last night. Love it so far.

It took a bit to wrap my head around (even from reading all the forum posts) but it was worth learning. I would suggest a tutorial video at some point.

Is there a way to obtain completey solid colors? I'm not sure how to eliminate shading and reflection. I would like to use diffuse color for each material to dictate a complete block-in of solid color within the outlines with no variance.

Also, the camera distance and render resolution make the outline width vary a bit. Is there a way to avert this?

Thank you for your great work! Excellent job.

• edited December 1969

maybe turn off reflection on your surfaces material, or use a flat toon shader. For shadows... set up a light dome and set it not to cast shadows? Play around, I'm sure there is a way :)

edited December 1969

@zigraphix

Hello!

Purchased ToonyCam Pro last night. Love it so far.

It took a bit to wrap my head around (even from reading all the forum posts) but it was worth learning. I would suggest a tutorial video at some point.

Is there a way to obtain completey solid colors? I'm not sure how to eliminate shading and reflection. I would like to use diffuse color for each material to dictate a complete block-in of solid color within the outlines with no variance.

Also, the camera distance and render resolution make the outline width vary a bit. Is there a way to avert this?

Thank you for your great work! Excellent job.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Please see the link to the draft documentation on the first page of this thread. I've tried to summarize answers to all the questions that have come up so far, with more information about how the shader works.

Now to answer your specific question. You will want to do the following:

1 - Set shading levels to 1 using the preset or the properties tab. Don't forget to select the camera in the scene first.

2 - For each material zone, set the Diffuse and Ambient colors to the same color, whatever color you want in the render. If you have to use a diffuse map to get the colors you need, use that same image in the Ambient channel.

3 - Set Ambient Strength to 100%.

This will eliminate shadows of any kind on those surfaces. I do also recommend making sure all reflection strength is 0. You will probably also want to set glossy to 100% and specular strength to 0, but I may be misremembering the names of those two settings -- I'll check in a moment whe I'm in front of my graphics computer. This is to eliminate any possible highlights.

After this, you won't need to bother with lighting. Ambient at 100% makes the surfaces act as though they are lit evenly no matter what the lighting in the scene actually is.

This is an interesting idea. There's a way to make a surface shader that would automate a lot of this. I'll put it on my to-do list, but I won't be able to work on it for several days.

I hope this helps! :)

edited December 1969

I just put in an update for ToonyCam Pro. It addresses a couple of bugs, provides some additional utility scripts, and includes an 18 page PDF file providing documentation based on all the comments and questions in the threads here. So you should all get it in your DIM-boxes soo... er... shortly. ;)

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    I just put in an update for ToonyCam Pro. It addresses a couple of bugs, provides some additional utility scripts, and includes an 18 page PDF file providing documentation based on all the comments and questions in the threads here. So you should all get it in your DIM-boxes soo... er... shortly. ;)

Awesome, many thanks.

-- Walt Sterdan

• edited December 1969

is the update live yet, or is it lost in the Daz-machine? lol :)

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Is it actually as simple as rendering through the camera? I've gotten into a groove and I've been going through all of my environment scenes and making a "toon" version by replacing all the textures with Visual Style Sahders, but if ToonyCam is as easy as rendering through it I'd like to see what it does. I'm also a huge fan of people releasing content with documentation, so kudos!

• edited December 1969

pretty much, it adds a special camera that you render through (plus outline and other settings to each shader in your scene). Works well with Visual or Manga Shaders or toon textures (remember to set it to full colour unless you want just outlines, even with b&w manga shaders). Will it give you the result you want just by "adding camera and rendering"? probably not. But it will get you 60% of the way there :)

edited December 1969

Wish there was a way to trial it on one of scenes! One of the more annoying issues with this hobby. Been burned a few times by downloading (quality, to be sure) stuff that didn't really do it for me.

edited December 1969

Wish there was a way to trial it on one of scenes! One of the more annoying issues with this hobby. Been burned a few times by downloading (quality, to be sure) stuff that didn't really do it for me.

I had a free camera with no outlines out at Christmas that would have shown you what the toon part looked like. I'm not sure why it isn't still in the store. But in any case, DAZ does offer a no-questions-asked 30 day return policy.

I can say I've had very few returns so far on this product. Almost none, in fact.

I made this camera because of my own need to be able to create manga and anime images quickly and easily, without having to manually reset every surface in a scene. I didn't release it until I was happy enough with how well it worked for me that I thought it was worth sharing it with others.

As for the updates... the testers are going through my upload making sure I didn't drop something somewhere. ;) This is a very busy time for them, with the March Madness sale in its final week.

edited December 1969

I didn't know about the return policy! How does that work? I always assumed it wouldn't be kosher with digital downloads because of obvious reasons. Consider it purchased:)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,455
    edited December 1969

File a support ticket asking for a refund. Once the ticket is closed they will remove it from your account. You are also expected to remove the pack from your computer

edited December 1969

I didn't know about the return policy! How does that work? I always assumed it wouldn't be kosher with digital downloads because of obvious reasons. Consider it purchased:)

As Frank explained. You can find some more information here: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/forums/21985197-100-Money-Back-Guarantee (see the text box on the right side)

But these cams are definitely worth giving it a try. Just don't forget to read through documentation which is linked on first post and helps a lot avoiding most traps. I needed some hours to understand how it all works, so just don't give up too soon, better ask here and there will be help ;)

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    File a support ticket asking for a refund. Once the ticket is closed they will remove it from your account. You are also expected to remove the pack from your computer

Ah, so it's partially good-faith based. That's really the only way I can see digital returns to work, I suppose. I don't plan on returning anything, just comforting to know that there is little risk of trying stuff out, now.

This is actually really great to know, because there are a couple expensive items I've been on the fence about that I really wanted to try out.

edited March 2014

Just a note: Take care with MM sales, as items that got you punches AND items bought with the weekly coupon (from punches) cannot being returned AFTER you used your coupon. This exception was stated by DAZ_jared on MM sales introductory post.

But that's probably not the best place to explain/discuss DAZ return policy, so sorry for hijacking the thread. Back to ToonyCam Pro now ;)

Post edited by bad4u on
    edited December 1969

I look forward to seeing what you'll do with it! :)

I've had very few items I've ever had to ask for a refund on. DAZ has always credited my account promptly, or refunded my credit card, or whatever.

edited December 1969

Oh, I thought I'd also mention: I plan to give a free copy of OutlineCam to everyone who has purchased ToonyCam, though it will be a separate product. :)

OutlineCam doesn't affect other features of the render, e.g. it doesn't impose a toon effect. The only options it has are with regard to outline type and width, and color vs. outline only. This is a demonstration of two renders, one with outlines and full color, the other with outlines only, blended together. (No, the camera doesn't do this, I'm afraid... I did use Photoshop to composite the two images.)

outlinecam-main-01.jpg
    500 x 650 - 122K