ToonyCam Pro: Toon renders, anyone? :) [Commercial] [Contest]

Comments

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited December 1969

Hi zigraphix, today bought this great product, but i'm a novice and when i try to make a render
    DAZ tell me "This action requires a camera designed to use the outline compositor render settings.
    please verify that you have selected an Outline Camera"

Obviously i don't know how to fix this problem.
    Thanks for your answer and keep the great work!

On top of your viewport you can switch camera, there should be a ToonyCam Pro available when you loaded it into the scene. You need to switch to that one for rendering.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Hi zigraphix, today bought this great product, but i'm a novice and when i try to make a render
    DAZ tell me "This action requires a camera designed to use the outline compositor render settings.

After you load the camera, make sure you have selected it as your render camera, i.e. the one you're looking through in the viewport.

This is another good example of a question that seems "obvious" when you've been fighting with cameras as long as I have for this product, but I needed to be told how to do it back at the beginning, just like everyone else! :) Additionally, most camera presets replace all the cameras in the scene and make the primary camera in the preset into the active camera. I made ToonyCam Pro to add itself to the scene, so you wouldn't lose your existing camera position, but this means you have to make ToonyCam Pro active as your new camera. I'll add this topic to my documentation list.

I hear you folks on the problems with video tutorials. In fact, my "day job" is teaching and supporting teaching online at a college, as well as conducting educational research, so I'm very aware of how well (or poorly) videos work for teaching most subjects. For most subjects, I'd much rather have something I can read. One area videos can be helpful for, though, is showing processes in sequence. If I do videos, they will always be very short, e.g. 3 minutes or less, so you can find the one you want, rather than having to try to scan through a long video for the bit of advice you're looking for, they will zoom in on relevant features, and they will be subtitled. :)

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

In camera view select toonycam

cam.jpg
    246 x 241 - 64K
  • georgewrestlinggeorgewrestling Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

thanks gilikshe, zigraphix and bad4u for the fast response. thanks for the help i'm working on some examples :D

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited March 2014

A quick test using outlines only, man, I love this camera. I've never been able to get this clean an outline.

-- Walt Sterdan

ToonyCam-Shading-Levels-5-OutlineID-Outlined-on.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 70K
    Post edited by wsterdan on
    edited December 1969

wsterdan said:
    A quick test using outlines only, man, I love this camera. I've never been able to get this clean an outline.

-- Walt Sterdan

We can do lots and lots of coloring books :D. Actually good coloring books!

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

We can do lots and lots of coloring books :D. Actually good coloring books!

:lol: I should have thought of that! ;)

It took me nearly two years to figure out the technical issues behind making this camera work. (Part time, but still!) I'll never earn enough from it to make up for the time I put into it at anything like minimum wage. But you know what makes it worth it? I love the pictures you folks are posting. :) Keep 'em coming!

edited March 2014

Works with Fabricator waves.
    Click image for to see detail.

k3.png
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited December 1969

By the way, before you get involved in tutorials, could we at least get a basic instruction sheet listing what each of the buttons and dials is actually supposed to do and the order that you have to do them in? The documentation at http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/18362/start seems to indicate that there's a lot of functionality that hasn't even been mentioned here yet.

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

I had to do it. Cambot in ToonyCam.

Friends.png
    1000 x 1000 - 696K
    edited December 1969

Ok. I was lazy and only used normal and ID in street.

BARRIO.png
    1500 x 1500 - 3M
    edited December 1969

By the way, before you get involved in tutorials, could we at least get a basic instruction sheet listing what each of the buttons and dials is actually supposed to do and the order that you have to do them in? The documentation at http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/18362/start seems to indicate that there's a lot of functionality that hasn't even been mentioned here yet.

I think it's simpler than a lot of people are assuming it is.

- Load the camera, and switch to it in the viewport
    - Use the render settings script to turn on Scripted Rendering

- At this point, you can render. By default, the outlines will be based on the "Normal" direction of objects in the scene, i.e. where objects curve parallel to the camera, there will be a black line. Also by default, colors will be simplified to three shades of color per object, giving a cell shaded appearance, and the separate shades will blend between them at 25%.

Options:

- If you want to change the number of shades, there are presets, or you can go to the Properties pane of the camera and look in the Shading section.

- If you want to change the amount the different shading levels blend, there are presets, or again you can adjust this manually in the Properties pane.

- If you want to change the thickness of the outlines, you can use the presets in the Render Settings folder, or manually edit the Render Settings pane. The setting for this is a little harder to get to, because it's several levels inside the Scripted Render control area. The presets are a lot easier to use.

- The choice that is most complex is if you decide to use one of the other two methods of outline detection. Again, there are presets to turn the three methods on or off, and you can use any combination, including no outlines.

- The "Depth" method checks each point in the render to see how far it is from the camera, and if this changes more than a certain amount from the point next to it, an outline is drawn. This method can draw thick outlines near the edges of large curves, and is sensitive to the scale of the image. I don't usually like the way it looks, but there are a few times I've used it, and it's there if you want it. It is simple to use and usually works fairly well at its default settings, but you can also go into the Render Settings panel and tweak the sensitivity if you get thick lines or the outlines fade out more than you want.

- The most complicated method is the OutlineID method. This method of generating outlines first creates a version of your scene in which each object in the scene is rendered using its OutlineID color. This is a new parameter added to every surface in your scene when you enable outline rendering. My scripts go through all the objects and material zones in your scene and try to set a unique color value to each. On larger images, you may be able to see this before the render replaces this colored image with the final render with outlines. The outlines are generated on the boundaries between different colors. So if you just use the OutlineID settings on default, you'll get lines around all the objects in your scenes, but also along the edges of material zones. This actually works pretty well in a lot of cases, but human figures tend to have material zone boundaries across the limbs in places that don't look good. For this reason, I included presets that fix the OutlineIDs of many common figures to be all the same value except for the eyes, which people tend to want to outline. I also included helper scripts to reset the OutlineIDs in the scene in a couple of helpful ways, or just to set the values of the selected object. Or you can go into the Surfaces pan for each object and manually set the OutlineIDs. Make them all the same color where you don't want edge detection and outlines. Make them different if you want an outline between those two surfaces.

The OutlineID method is most useful if you have a lot of transparency in your scene, especially hair. The Normal and Depth methods of edge detection are not able to take transparency into account. So if you are using transmapped hair, you'll probably want to switch to the OutlineID method, or you'll get outlines where the geometry of the hair is, not where the visible parts are supposed to be. But if there is a "scalp" material zone in the hair, you may want to set it to the same OutlineID as the skin on the figure's face, to avoid an outline between the edge of the scalp and the skin.

That's really all there is to it. Because this is a camera, it treats the whole scene using the same rules everywhere. You can't have Normal-based outlines in part of the scene, but OutlineID-based outlines elsewhere in the scene. There are a fairly small number of parameters to tweak, and they affect the whole scene. Generally you don't want complex lighting for toon images. One main light at 100% and a fill light at a different angle at 25-30% is usually all you need.

If you are trying to combine ToonyCam Pro with surface shaders like Visual Style or Manga Style, you need to be familiar with how those shaders work first, and that"s beyond any directions I can provide.

I'll add what I've written above to the readme, and I'll make a version with screen shots to attach to the product as a PDF and submit it for an update, which will get pushed out to purchasers when DAZ processes the update.

Before I do that, are there other specific questions I haven't answered?

edited March 2014

Actually, I found a feature/glitch that does allow some items to be rendered in Outline form and others in Normal form. (DS is very flaky in whether or not to allow the glitch so I figured out a hack to trigger it consistently.) I loaded Cambot twice and turned off the depth outlining on one of the two. This is one render, no postwork.

SingleRender.jpg
    500 x 500 - 75K
    Post edited by Crescent on
  • charles.brandscharles.brands Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sorry to ask such a newbe question but how can I make Toonycam work?:red:

I have bought Toonycam and installed it using the DAZ install manager. I can see toonycam related files on the filesystem but nowhere in Daz studio do I see any toonycam related icon.

I have created a new camera named Camera1 and switched to it in the viewport. But I don't know what to do next.

Help..

• knitpixelknitpixel Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Thank you to Renpatsu for the tips - I shall be having a play around tonight and hope to post some results tomorrow!

Zigraphix, I am getting some really good outlines - thank you so much, this really opens up so many new opportunities. I'd love to see a pdf help guide, however videos will also be good. The think I like about pdfs is that they are easy to reference.

edited December 1969

I have bought Toonycam and installed it using the DAZ install manager. I can see toonycam related files on the filesystem but nowhere in Daz studio do I see any toonycam related icon.

I have created a new camera named Camera1 and switched to it in the viewport. But I don't know what to do next.

Help..

For me ToonyCam is on Content Library tab - DAZ Studio Formats - My Library - Camera Presets - ToonyCam , but I have installed manually, so I'm not sure if it's the same where DIM installs to. Then just apply ToonyCam, select ToonyCam on Scene tab and apply Render Settings - Render Outlines On and don't forget to switch Viewport cam to ToonyCam before you render. Always make sure you select ToonyCam in Scene before you apply script settings like outline width, or nothing happens.

edited December 1969

Help..

Basic Usage:

1) Load your figures, etc., into the scene.
    2) Go to Camera Presets: ToonyCam and load the ToonyCam Pro camera.
    3) In the Scene palette, select the ToonyCam Pro camera.
    4) In the Camera Presets: ToonyCam: ! Render Settings folder, double click on the ! Render Outlines On file. (By default, you'll have Outline Width 1. If you want thicker lines, select accordingly.)
    5) Select any other render effects you'd like such as Outline Only, etc.
    6) In the main scene window, click on the dropdown next to Default Camera and select the ToonyCam Pro camera.
    7) Adjust the camera's position as needed to frame your scene.
    8) Render the scene. The render window will pop *under* DS so you'll need to click on it once it's done to see the render.

TC3.gif
    141 x 232 - 4K
    TC2.gif
    326 x 210 - 4K
    TC1.gif
    326 x 687 - 21K
    edited March 2014

Finally getting the hang on it.. and love the results. This cam gives so many possibilities. So here are some renders from me as well :)

Note: Last image is rendered combined with DS internal cartoon shader.

clown07.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 239K
    clown04.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 236K
    clown01.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 207K
    Post edited by bad4u on
    edited December 1969

And one with outline only

clown08.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 147K
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    edited December 1969

Dang gonna have to wait a fortnight till my next pay. :( Soon as I do I am all over this awesome camera set, as have found that the toon shader products here while good are so time consuming to setup..

And well the only other option is Poser as it has a few decent toon rendering options built in, but since using Genesis 1 and 2 I am using Studio more and my only way at the moment is to use a 3rd party art program and a script file to do my tooning..

Dang so long to wait. :(

edited December 1969

And another two quick one with Dr. Pitterbill, as I liked especially the colors in these ones :)

pitt1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 245K
    pitt8.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 270K
    edited December 1969

bad4u, cresent,
    Thanks for your help.

I found toonycam under /Users/Shared/My Daz 3d library/Camera Presets/Toonycam.
    I am not sure why it is in a different location. Perhaps because I used the installer or maybe because I use a Mac.
    Anyway I have located toonycam and loaded it. First obstacle is vanquished.:-)

If I hit the render button then I only get black. This would not be so bad if the render was "Ninja at night" but that is not the case.

I have select ToonyCam on Scene tab and switched Viewport cam to ToonyCam.

But on Render Settings I don't find a "Render Outlines On"

edited December 1969

That should be in content library, there are few folders under Toony Cam (which you already found). First folder is !Render Settings

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited March 2014

zigraphix said:

Remember that comment we made a few posts back about assuming subject knowledge? Unfortunately, you completely glossed over a lot of info that I'm still trying to figure out, like how to alter the effects in the Render settings and how to actually select the individual outline IDs using the four "selected OutlinID" buttons.

Where I've really been puzzled, however, is the relationship of the camera parameters to the other settings, as so far the presets (and the settings in the renderer) don't seem to have any direct correlation to the sliders on the camera parameters dials. My first thought was that the cam parameters dials were just modifiers of the presets, but experimentation quickly proved that some of them did actually over ride the presets, even though the render settings never changed. Moreover, the biggest problem seemed to be the "Restore Default Render Settings" button, which doesn't seem to work at all on the settings in the Camera parameters. Am I incorrect in therefore assuming that that button is supposed to just clear the scripted presets? Or is it supposed to clear the camera settings and just not functioning right? (And yes, I've uninstalled and re-installed and it still does the same thing.)

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited December 1969

bad4u said:

That should be in content library, there are few folders under Toony Cam (which you already found). First folder is !Render Settings

Thanks I got it to work. Not the render I wanted but now the basics work it is just a matter of lots of experimentation for fun and improvement

edited December 1969

bad4u said:

Thanks I got it to work. Not the render I wanted but now the basics work it is just a matter of lots of experimentation for fun and improvement

Just make sure that you select ToonyCam Pro in scene tab before you apply different outline width or half color tint etc. This was my fault and cost me some time when I started.

edited March 2014

zigraphix said:

Remember that comment we made a few posts back about assuming subject knowledge? Unfortunately, you completely glossed over a lot of info that I'm still trying to figure out, like how to alter the effects in the Render settings and how to actually select the individual outline IDs using the four "selected OutlinID" buttons.

Where I've really been puzzled, however, is the relationship of the camera parameters to the other settings, as so far the presets (and the settings in the renderer) don't seem to have any direct correlation to the sliders on the camera parameters dials. My first thought was that the cam parameters dials were just modifiers of the presets, but experimentation quickly proved that some of them did actually over ride the presets, even though the render settings never changed. Moreover, the biggest problem seemed to be the "Restore Default Render Settings" button, which doesn't seem to work at all on the settings in the Camera parameters. Am I incorrect in therefore assuming that that button is supposed to just clear the scripted presets? Or is it supposed to clear the camera settings and just not functioning right? (And yes, I've uninstalled and re-installed and it still does the same thing.)

"Restore Default Render Settings" works in render engine in Render Settings tab. It changes Scripted 3dlight engine to 3dlight default engine.

This product works with 3 elements, not only camera: Render engine, surface of the objects and the special camera.

Maybe a good update would be add a note dsa in each preset folder like "For use in camera", "For use in figure/object surface", "For change properties in render settings".

Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Maybe a good update would be add a note dsa in each preset folder like "For use in camera", "For use in figure/object surface", "For change properties in render settings".

I'd agree to that.

• ChakradudeChakradude Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Ok I read thru the whole thread- this is obviously a great and easy to use product. I how ever have not been able to get the simple instructions to work for me. I am Posting this so hopefully someone will point out my oh so obvious error and I can move on to the fun of actually RENDERING! (if you please)

I bought it. I installed it . I loaded it in the scene. I selected it as the camera I am viewing the scene with (and therefor the camera I am rendering with,Yes? according to those on this chat) I also have it selected in the scene tab. I navigated to the folder named "!Render Settings" and double click on the icon (!render outlines on) and then I hit the render button in the render menu or on the render settings tab. either way I just get a plain ol' ordinary render. If I have the shader set to cartoon it is the basic cartoon render if I have the shader set to default it is default. Please tell me what I am missing?

Today I am using d|s 4.6.1.39 pro 64 bit an a pc with windows 7. Tomorrow I plan to try it on my mac

thanks in advance!

edited December 1969

I bought it. I installed it . I loaded it in the scene. I selected it as the camera I am viewing the scene with (and therefor the camera I am rendering with,Yes? according to those on this chat)

Did you select the ToonyCam Pro camera in the Scene palette *then* apply the "! Render Outline On" file by double clicking it? (I've forgotten to select it on occasion and applied the file to a figure instead of the camera.) If it just gives you a normal render every time, it sound like you didn't have the camera selected when you applied the "! Render Outline On" file.

When you were ready to render, did you select the ToonyCam Pro camera in the camera drop down box in the main render area then render? If you did everything else right but this step, DS will put a warning in the render box that you are rendering through a normal camera instead of the expected camera. (I don't remember the exact warning off-hand.)

In a previous post, I have screenshots of these items.

If all else fails, close DS and re-open it (DS can be flaky with special cameras sets like this one.)